Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 10685 Old 11-16-2002, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Ratman
I second that!! Thanks for your listening and patience! It's a shame that other station engineers/managers don't participate here on the forum!

I know that criticism can hurt sometimes... but it does help the ratings!

Since Gunnar has left I will try to answer your questions/comments. It always helps to hear what others see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10685 Old 11-16-2002, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Het, Tveng, any chance you guys can get WPHL-DT listed on the Directtv guide? When I scan I do not pick up your signal. I do detect 57 and that works fine. I do not want to rescan as I have lost 57 that way. I do not detect KYW on the scan either but get the signal rock solid as the channel is in the Direct TV guide. I have a large hill in front of my house which really blocks UHF reception. I do occasionally get WPVI but never Fox or WCAU. I get WCAU. WPVI and WHYY off the cable. I am sure were WPHL listed in the gide on my Panasonic box, it will find the signal and generate a picture. Thanks. Until then, I will have to wait till you get on Comcast, whenever that will be. I know there are talks going on.
post #183 of 10685 Old 11-16-2002, 07:34 PM

I second JWhip's guide point-- You have to switch over to the analog channel in order to see the guide. The guide for 17-1 always says "Regular Schedule".
post #184 of 10685 Old 11-16-2002, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JWhip
Het, Tveng, any chance you guys can get WPHL-DT listed on the Directtv guide? When I scan I do not pick up your signal. I do detect 57 and that works fine. I do not want to rescan as I have lost 57 that way. I do not detect KYW on the scan either but get the signal rock solid as the channel is in the Direct TV guide. I have a large hill in front of my house which really blocks UHF reception. I do occasionally get WPVI but never Fox or WCAU. I get WCAU. WPVI and WHYY off the cable. I am sure were WPHL listed in the gide on my Panasonic box, it will find the signal and generate a picture. Thanks. Until then, I will have to wait till you get on Comcast, whenever that will be. I know there are talks going on.

I will look into this and find out what can be done. I know we are not feeding WPHL-DT to anybody right now. If direct tv is sending it they are getting it from off air antenna.
post #185 of 10685 Old 11-17-2002, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

TVeng, I don't expect DirectTV to carry Wphl-Dt but they do have KYW-DT, WPVI-DT, WCAU-DT, WHYY-DT and WTXF-DT in their guide, so you do not have to scan the antenna feed to get their frequencies into the box's memory. THey do not carry any of these channels on their system but when I watch KYW-DT for instance, they have the CBS logo in the banner and the program I am watching. Thanks again.
post #186 of 10685 Old 11-17-2002, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone summarize for me the events that have taken place with Philly Digital Channels in the past year?
The reason I ask is I've been forced to watch Balitmore channels for two years while Philly sorts things out (I could only receive two Philly channels). I want to come back to Philly channels soon. No rotor..and I don't want one.
post #187 of 10685 Old 11-17-2002, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

dp
post #188 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 06:52 AM
mpg

A little background on why some programs have black bars on the left and right side of the picture... and some don't.
All commercial Philadelphia TV stations only use a High Definition DTV encoder for broadcasting 24-hours a day. WHYY has both a Standard Definition and a High Definition encoder. WHYY uses the Standard Definition decoder during the day and is currently retransmitting their Channel 12 signal. Because they are using a Standard Definition encoder, your DTV receiver and/or TV can change the picture to fill the screen. In the evening WHYY is using their High Definition encoder, the same as all the Philadelphia commercial TV stations, and retransmitting PBS's HD programming. Because the commercial TV stations are always using a High Definition encoder, when the program is not HD & 16:9, then the HD encoder upconverts the 4:3 programming so that the HD encoder can broadcast the signal. This upconverting adds the black bars on the left and right side of the screen. It's basically telling your receiver that the programming is HD & 16:9. However, to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio, the black bars need to be added. In summary, because the commercial stations only use an HD encoder, if the programming is not HD/16:9, then you're going to get black bars on the left & right. And you won't be able to trick your DTV receiver into stretching the picture because it already thinks it's getting a 16:9 picture. If TV stations wanted to, they could stretch the 4:3 picture to 16:9, or any variation there of, before broadcasting through the HD encoder. This could fill your screen, but the aspect ratio would be messed up and not pleasing to watch.
Hoepfully this answers a few questions.
post #189 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe_R
Can someone summarize for me the events that have taken place with Philly Digital Channels in the past year?
The reason I ask is I've been forced to watch Balitmore channels for two years while Philly sorts things out (I could only receive two Philly channels). I want to come back to Philly channels soon. No rotor..and I don't want one.

Sure: cbs (3-1), nbc (10-1), abc (6-1), FOX (29-1, pbs (whyy 12-1), upn (57-1) and wb (17-1) are now all on the air with digital transmissions now.

All of the stations transmitters are located in roughly the same area in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia.

So you should be able to get all of the above if you point your antenna towards Roxborough. WHYY (PBS) has a pretty weak signal, so you might have a tough time with them (they also sit low on the tower).

Eric
post #190 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpg
A little background on why some programs have black bars on the left and right side of the picture... and some don't.
All commercial Philadelphia TV stations only use a High Definition DTV encoder for broadcasting 24-hours a day. WHYY has both a Standard Definition and a High Definition encoder. WHYY uses the Standard Definition decoder during the day and is currently retransmitting their Channel 12 signal. Because they are using a Standard Definition encoder, your DTV receiver and/or TV can change the picture to fill the screen. In the evening WHYY is using their High Definition encoder, the same as all the Philadelphia commercial TV stations, and retransmitting PBS's HD programming. Because the commercial TV stations are always using a High Definition encoder, when the program is not HD & 16:9, then the HD encoder upconverts the 4:3 programming so that the HD encoder can broadcast the signal. This upconverting adds the black bars on the left and right side of the screen. It's basically telling your receiver that the programming is HD & 16:9. However, to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio, the black bars need to be added. In summary, because the commercial stations only use an HD encoder, if the programming is not HD/16:9, then you're going to get black bars on the left & right. And you won't be able to trick your DTV receiver into stretching the picture because it already thinks it's getting a 16:9 picture. If TV stations wanted to, they could stretch the 4:3 picture to 16:9, or any variation there of, before broadcasting through the HD encoder. This could fill your screen, but the aspect ratio would be messed up and not pleasing to watch.
Hoepfully this answers a few questions.

The question is, why is 4:3 content (non-HDTV content) transmitted using the HD encoder? Since it is 4 x 3 and not HDTV, use the SD decoder for that content (so we can fill the screen easily) and switch to the HD encoder only for HDTV broadcasts (HDTV content). Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Do you lose anything with 4 x 3 programming when an SD encoder is used (or do you gain anything when 4 x 3 programming is tranmsitted with an HD encoder)? If not, use the SD for 4 x 3 and the HD for HDTV.

Or is there any way that the HD encoder can be set to NOT transmit black bars and not stretch the 4 x3 material?

By the way, you can (at least with my set top box), fill the screen with 4 x 3 content by "lying" to the set top box in the set up area and saying that you have a 4 x 3 television. That option is not optimal though as you then have to change it back for HDTV programming.

Eric
post #191 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by caesar1
Sure: cbs (3-1), nbc (10-1), abc (6-1), FOX (29-1, pbs (whyy 12-1), upn (57-1) and wb (17-1) are now all on the air with digital transmissions now.

All of the stations transmitters are located in roughly the same area in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia.

So you should be able to get all of the above if you point your antenna towards Roxborough. WHYY (PBS) has a pretty weak signal, so you might have a tough time with them (they also sit low on the tower).

Eric

Ok, what about signal strength? Are ABC, NBC and Fox at full power now?
I used to get 80-90 with CBS. ABC was rather weak. PBS had severe multipath. NBC was not obtainable. Fox was sporadic, mostly not. Now, this was a year ago. So I guess at that time they were on different towers. Should I expect a CBS grade signal now from the other stations? I remember CBS would come in from a table top antenna, it was such a good signal.
Maybe I'll have to get up on the roof this weekend and give it a try.
post #192 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, what about signal strength? Are ABC, NBC and Fox at full power now?
I used to get 80-90 with CBS. ABC was rather weak. PBS had severe multipath. NBC was not obtainable. Fox was sporadic, mostly not. Now, this was a year ago. So I guess at that time they were on different towers. Should I expect a CBS grade signal now from the other stations? I remember CBS would come in from a table top antenna, it was such a good signal.
Maybe I'll have to get up on the roof this weekend and give it a try.

As far as I know, all stations are at the full power they are allotted at this time. With PBS being weak in that regard. UPN and WB are on the new candelabra tower. FOX is supposed to be moving to that tower. I don't think ABC, CBS or NBC changed towers.

NBC has a somewhat weaker signal than ABC and CBS. But you should have no problems with a good outdoor antenna for all stations -- except for perhaps PBS. I have problems with an indoor antenna on some stations due to multi-path (PBS particularly)-- and I'm only 4 miles from Roxborough.

Eric
post #193 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 09:10 AM
mpg

Regarding 4:3 & 16:9 programming....
It's all about the cost to start up DTV transmissions. It costs more to have a Standard Definition encoder along with a High Definition encoder. Why spend the money for both when you can upconvert and broadcast all programming from just the High Definition encoder.
post #194 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox will not be on the new tower with UPN and WB, NBC is also on that tower and should be broadcasting from their at 1 megawatt by the end on this month. Fox will be on another tower hopefully by the spring, also at 1 megawatt.
post #195 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JWhip
Fox will not be on the new tower with UPN and WB, NBC is also on that tower and should be broadcasting from their at 1 megawatt by the end on this month. Fox will be on another tower hopefully by the spring, also at 1 megawatt.

So right now, we have on the new tower:
WPN
WB
NBC
CBS
ABC
And Fox will get their own tower later next year?

Is this correct?
post #196 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So right now, we have on the new tower:
WPN
WB
NBC
CBS
ABC
And Fox will get their own tower later next year?

Is this correct?

Well................almost. CBS and ABC will stay where they are. WB, UPN and NBC will be on the new tower (with NBC moving from their existing location, and bumping up the power from ~ 115 kw to 1 megawatt). FOX will move to another tower later next year and also move to full power.
post #197 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 01:17 PM

When are the sixers games and flyers games going to be in hd, i thought half of their games were supposed to be in HD this year.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #198 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 01:23 PM

I believe that Comcast SportsNet goes HD in January 2003. So that's 1/2 the games right there.

EDIT:

I also believe that the All-Star Game (Hockey) is in HD (I think that's on ABC, but don't quote me on that). And the playoffs are in HD, also.

I don't watch Basketball, so I don't know about the Sixers.

Dawn
post #199 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snooplsm
When are the sixers games and flyers games going to be in hd, i thought half of their games were supposed to be in HD this year.

Right now, NONE of their "Over the Air" games will be HD. It's only their games that are shown on cable (Comcast Sportsnet) that will be HD.
post #200 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 02:08 PM

The sixers are going in hd when the flyers go. Its the same stadium so they aren't going to be moving any equipment. And when i heard that half the games were in HD, it might of been 1/3 since only the home games are going to be in HD.

Unless your income is 1 million dollars, you are a cheap *******.
post #201 of 10685 Old 11-18-2002, 07:38 PM

Comcast Sportsnet will start broadcasting select Sixers and Flyers games in February 2003. There will be @ 22 games in total between the two teams broadcasted in HD. Comcast has another sports channel in Baltimore (it was Home Team Sports) and the two areas will be sharing one production truck for HD broadcasts, going back and forth between Philly and Balt/Washington.

Thanks to Neil Hartman, Comcast Sportsnet for the inside scoop.
post #202 of 10685 Old 11-19-2002, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

HDTV4all is correct. The gaames were to start in January 2003 but have been pushed back to early February so less games that they had hoped. Comcast must be having trouble training their people to operate the equipment as they have it now so I am not sure of the reason for the delay. They have already archieved profile and the like for insertion into their broadcasts. This was done back in September, at least for the Flyers.
post #203 of 10685 Old 11-21-2002, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone hear anything new on NBC moving to the new tower? I know it was supposed to be the end of this month. Does anyone have a more firm timing? I've been checking, and re-scanning just about every day now, but nothing for me (I can't get NBC where they are now).

Thanks and sorry for the persistance on this, but I really want my NBC!
post #204 of 10685 Old 11-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone hear anything new on NBC moving to the new tower? I know it was supposed to be the end of this month. Does anyone have a more firm timing? I've been checking, and re-scanning just about every day now, but nothing for me (I can't get NBC where they are now).

Thanks and sorry for the persistance on this, but I really want my NBC!
post #205 of 10685 Old 11-21-2002, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If I remember correctly, the engineer there said it would be done by the end of the year but could not be more specific.
post #206 of 10685 Old 11-22-2002, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

NBC should be operational at the new tower by 11/30.
post #207 of 10685 Old 11-22-2002, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks JWhip,
I noticed on TitanTV that NBC was not even on their listing, where it usually is for my area (even though I don't get it). Is WCAU-DT down in preparation for moving to the new site, or was it just a TitanTV boo-boo?
post #208 of 10685 Old 11-22-2002, 05:46 AM

Is anyone else experiencing reception problems with FOX? For the past week I've been losing lock on their signal about once every 10 minutes. The singal strength meter on my Sony is at about one bar above half way and then drops to half way when I lose the signal. FOX is the lowest in signal strength of all of the Phil. stations. I don't have any reception problems with WHYY even though it is the lowest powered station.
post #209 of 10685 Old 11-22-2002, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Calabs, I can't comment on whether NBC-10 is still broadcasting OTA as I can't get them that way (yet?) due to terrain issues. I am hopeful I will at their new height and 1 megawatt signal. They are on the cable and Comcast takes a direct fiber feed for that.
post #210 of 10685 Old 11-22-2002, 04:40 PM

Johnr0836 wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing reception problems with FOX? For the past week I've been losing lock on their signal about once every 10 minutes. The singal strength meter on my Sony is at about one bar above half way and then drops to half way when I lose the signal. FOX is the lowest in signal strength of all of the Phil. stations. I don't have any reception problems with WHYY even though it is the lowest powered station.

I'm also in WestWindsor and have had problems receiving Fox Phila. lately - it locks but pixelates too often to watch comfortably. It might just be a combination of signal attenuation from a lot of rain the past several days, and the low transmitting power from 29-1. Since I just repaired the wiring for my antenna-rotor, I re-directed the antenna to NYC and receive Fox5-1 just fine. In fact Fox5 is sharing a transmitter with channel 9 so 5-2 carries the NY-UPN-9 station (albeit both must broadcast SD). An added benfit is I can now watch my Giants instead of those dastardly Eagles!

F.D.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page