Question about poor TVFool report - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question about poor TVFool report

Hello all,
I'm new to the idea of OTA HDTV but I would like to transition off of my DirecTV service in the coming months. However, I am concerned that my TVFool report shows that my available channels are shaded almost entirely red or grey.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1556a0912771

If I were to buy a long range antenna such as the Channel Master CM-4228HD, mount it on my roof, and point it towards the batch of channels around 284 degrees, what are my chances of being successful with those signal ratings?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Philly stations appear to be stronger than the New York stations at your location. Assuming you want to get WPVI, I'd go with the "Advantage 100" (the 4228 is High-VHF, WPVI is Low-VHF) and a pre-amp. On your roof is a must. If you have trees on the east side of your property, you may want to give them a good pruning.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!

Last edited by cgmv123; 01-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Forget the 4228 antenna. You will need a full size antenna for any chance of even somewhat reliable reception. At 57 miles, reliable reception would be a crap shoot from day to day even with the best equipment.

If in your shoes I would try the Winegard 8200 if wanting to experiment, but would be prepared for likelihood of disappointment.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Forget the 4228 antenna.
Unless of course you don't care about ABC 6
Old 01-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You will need a full size antenna for any chance of even somewhat reliable reception. At 57 miles, reliable reception would be a crap shoot from day to day even with the best equipment.

If in your shoes I would try the Winegard 8200 if wanting to experiment, but would be prepared for likelihood of disappointment.
I think that 57 miles would be doable. From my house I have a ChannelMaster (Looks like the Advantage100, but I bought it in 2003, so not sure what the model number was at that time). I am able to pickup stations from Portland down in Albany, OR, which is 63 miles away. It is amplified of course.

I will say that Eugene is closer, so my every-day viewing is from that direction, which are 43 miles away. Those come in very solid with my built-in sony tv tuners. When I retire in 3 years, I am thinking of putting up another antenna pointing towards the 63 mile location so I don't have to mess with the rotor. Oh, you would need a rotor too I'm sure to fine tune the direction.

One other thing to note, not all tuners are equal. While my two Sony TV's pull in the stations easily, I have to adjust the antenna direction more for the tuner in my Sharp TV. So it's not just the antenna, but the tuner as well. I don't know what the best external tuner would be, but that may also help if you have trouble pulling in the 57 mile signal.

Are there any hills or elevation changes between you and the stations? I know that folks to the west of me, in the hills, have a much harder time pulling in signals than I do, even though the distance is the same.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawson View Post
I think that 57 miles would be doable.
Not all 57 mile TV Fool reports are not created equal. 2 edge & 57 miles could go either way. I would put the odds at 50/50.

Unfortunately the OP won't know w/o trying.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Unfortunately the OP won't know w/o trying.
Agreed.