Local broadcasts OTA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Local broadcasts OTA

We have issues i our place with certain local ABC station.. The problem is is it keeps comming and going, Some days we have better signal than others while we get a "No signal".

Would this indicate we are on the edge of a given broadcast.

We have never replaced the antenna, so i assume its still analog, however the issue ahs not always happend previously either, its only recenty, and not when we switched to digital.... the station was fine for a few months after we got digital, then we started to experience the issue.

We have contacted the broadcaster and thay said in email their station is fine in my area.

So, does this put us either (a on the boarder, or (b new digital antenna, bearing in mind we could get ABC perfectly before. We have two HD sets and i have not tested it with the other one yet, since they both go through the same antenna.

I believe in this case what affects one, would affect the other..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH198 View Post
We have issues i our place with certain local ABC station.. The problem is is it keeps comming and going, Some days we have better signal than others while we get a "No signal".

Would this indicate we are on the edge of a given broadcast.

We have never replaced the antenna, so i assume its still analog, however the issue ahs not always happend previously either, its only recenty, and not when we switched to digital.... the station was fine for a few months after we got digital, then we started to experience the issue.

We have contacted the broadcaster and thay said in email their station is fine in my area.

So, does this put us either (a on the boarder, or (b new digital antenna, bearing in mind we could get ABC perfectly before. We have two HD sets and i have not tested it with the other one yet, since they both go through the same antenna.

I believe in this case what affects one, would affect the other..
What market are you in?

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can check your signal strength at tvfool.com. Perhaps the signal has changed or something like an adjacent channel has powered up.

If your local stations are broadcasting on UHF (the digital ones are) a new UHF antenna may bring in the stations better. Or re-aiming the antenna may work.

I'm bringing in pretty good reception for the Los Angeles stations which are transmitting from towers about 64 miles away. I use an amplifier to boost the signal a bit to make one of the network stations a bit stronger.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH198 View Post

An antenna is an antenna. There is no such thing as a digital antenna. It is just marketing thing.

There is a only a few things that I can think it could be. One is the coax is breaking down. Another thing is the splitter or another piece of hardware could have went bad. Those two things might not be it since you don't have issues with other channels, but that depends on that channel's RF and distance from you and the channel. Another thing is the weather is playing with that channel's RF. I know that one is happening with two of my channels here lately. One last thing is there could be some type of interference between you and that channel's transmitting site cranes from construction sites or taller building that is being built or another channel on the same RF.

That is why we need to know your TVFool info and even your market.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Strange things can happen...........
Do you have problems when only one of the sets is turned on, or when both are on?
Also, as mentioned before, what market are you in, and what are the channels you have issues with (number, UHF or VHF, etc)?

It was recently noted in one of the broadcasting magazines, that a set can cause issues with "missing channels" on another set even when it is turned off. It mis-terminates the line, causing reflections that go back to the splitter and "comb-filter" some channels out. Try it with one set only, and use a terminator on the splitter port that feeds the set that's turned off.....or, just turn the other set on and off a few times.
If that's the case, you may get away with just adding an attenuator in line with the offending set, which would not only attenuate the incoming signal a bit (OK if you already have a strong signal in your area), but would "doubly attenuate" the reflection. Worth a try, anyway.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page