Boston - choice of Direct TV vs Fios vs Comcast - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
IanK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boston - choice of Direct TV vs Fios vs Comcast

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this, but I am fed up with the ever increasing cost of Fios cable and want to switch.
Both Direct TV and Comcast/xfinity seem significantly cheaper for the same channels.

My question is whether I will see a significant drop in HD picture quality in switching to either of those options from Fios. I watch HD on a SonyVPL-HW50ES on a 106 inch screen.

thanks for any advice you can provide
Ian
IanK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanK View Post
Sorry if this is not the right forum for this, but I am fed up with the ever increasing cost of Fios cable and want to switch.
Both Direct TV and Comcast/xfinity seem significantly cheaper for the same channels.

My question is whether I will see a significant drop in HD picture quality in switching to either of those options from Fios. I watch HD on a SonyVPL-HW50ES on a 106 inch screen.

thanks for any advice you can provide
Ian
Many say, and I agree, that Directv has the best PQ. I have seen Fios, and it's good. Comcast is highly variable.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have both directv (12 years) and FIOS (2 years) in two different homes. (one is for vacations).

FIOS if you want internet service. You get a better deal w/ a triple play than getting directv and then getting internet service from fios or comcast. FIOS fiber optics are very clear in PQ. Plus directv does go out due to heavy clouds. It's not rain or snow. It's heavy clouds. Rare depending on your area. Boston is like the UK in regards to weather. I'd roll with FIOS there.

I had Comcast. The one positive I will say is they stay on top of new technology and give you a lot of options. Their ondemand service kills both fios and directv.
BroadwayBlues is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I have both directv (12 years) and FIOS (2 years) in two different homes. (one is for vacations).

FIOS if you want internet service. You get a better deal w/ a triple play than getting directv and then getting internet service from fios or comcast. FIOS fiber optics are very clear in PQ. Plus directv does go out due to heavy clouds. It's not rain or snow. It's heavy clouds. Rare depending on your area. Boston is like the UK in regards to weather. I'd roll with FIOS there.

I had Comcast. The one positive I will say is they stay on top of new technology and give you a lot of options. Their ondemand service kills both fios and directv.
If your Directv went away in clouds, it was not installed properly. Mine is mostly covered in snow right now and there were zero glitches during yesterday evening during the game, and it snowed the whole time, sometimes heavily. Directv's signal is very reliable, and if installed properly will certainly handle clouds, light rain, snow, and wind. Heavy rain will knock it out briefly, as will ice.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
If your Directv went away in clouds, it was not installed properly. Mine is mostly covered in snow right now and there were zero glitches during yesterday evening during the game, and it snowed the whole time, sometimes heavily. Directv's signal is very reliable, and if installed properly will certainly handle clouds, light rain, snow, and wind. Heavy rain will knock it out briefly, as will ice.
heavy clouding during rain will knock it out. directv used to provide this info back in late 90's when we installed. It does not happen very often but there are times that u will get glitches before the rain comes and will clear up when it starts raining. It's a satellite signal. I live near the airport. Planes glitch it as well as they go by. It happens and doesn't diminish directv. I've gotten nfl sunday ticket for free last 3 years. My fav company
BroadwayBlues is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
heavy clouding during rain will knock it out. directv used to provide this info back in late 90's when we installed. It does not happen very often but there are times that u will get glitches before the rain comes and will clear up when it starts raining. It's a satellite signal. I live near the airport. Planes glitch it as well as they go by. It happens and doesn't diminish directv. I've gotten nfl sunday ticket for free last 3 years. My fav company
Nope.

The signal is at an angle so the rain doesn't need to be directly above you. Clouds shouldn't knock it out, ever.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
Nope.

The signal is at an angle so the rain doesn't need to be directly above you. Clouds shouldn't knock it out, ever.
dude if you need to feel like you are correct, fine. But the reality is, what the reality is. That was direct from directv. But it seems you know better...as most think they do here.
BroadwayBlues is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off