Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 6991 Old 03-31-2003, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed on the Michigan State game, and then this evening on CSI-Miami, some audio drop outs. They are noticeable, but not "show stopping". No tick or pop or anything, just the audio drops for a second or less. I haven't noticed any pattern to when they happen. I am using a Samsung 150 STB with no special sound gear, just left and right stereo going into my TV.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6991 Old 04-01-2003, 08:00 AM

Back in late February/early March, there was quite a bit of discussion in this thread about the color saturation breakups on WISH-DT. I've seen the same issue on WXIN-DT ever since we bought our digital gear, and if anything, WXIN's problem seems worse than it was on WISH. Now that WISH has corrected theirs, I wonder if WXIN would benefit from doing whatever Tom did. Or perhaps it's just a problem with my tuner. Has anyone else seen this?
post #273 of 6991 Old 04-01-2003, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DirectorBoy,

Last evening while watching Boston Public, I noticed a number of breakups/dropouts on WXIN-DT. I think a couple of them might have been on my end (antenna location last evening seemed to be very critical and sensitive) but I believe most of them were on WXIN's end. My familiar contact at WXIN has been Rick Poling but I hear that he is out of the office until mid April. I'll see if I can locate another contact.

Steve
post #274 of 6991 Old 04-01-2003, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,
I like the idea of dd 5.1 but only with channel 8 the 5.1 comes across on the front rt and lt speaker no center or rears. I checked wfyi, hbo and sho and the 5.1 works from all channels. I use rca dtc100 if that helps.

Thanks
Brad
post #275 of 6991 Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 AM

It's the same problem with 5.1 vs. stereo that existed when FM stereo first came out. If you turn the enhancement on and off, some recievers no longer lock into the signal, and you have to (in this case) tune off of the channel and then back onto it.

This is, of course, not desirable. Thus my inclination at this point to just leave 5.1 enabled, and sometimes its in stereo and sometimes its in full surround - but not switch back and forth into and out of 5.1 encoding mode.

I talked with the guys at WRTV, and they do pretty much the same thing for the same reason.

The other possibility, for the time being, is to just activate 5.1 for the once-a-month or so special program that features true surround.

I'll probably learn a bit more about 5.1 mode switching at the broadcaster's convention next week - and give the forum a chance to vote in the interim .

In the meantime, I'm leaving it in 5.1 for the Final Four this coming weekend.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #276 of 6991 Old 04-02-2003, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom,

You are right that WRTV comes across the same.

P.S. Keep up the good work.

Brad
post #277 of 6991 Old 04-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone here live in Bloomington? I've been thinking about HDTV STB for months and I just don't want to put up an antenna and get an STB if I'm not going to be able to watch all the Indy stations.

Any clue if the signals come down this far if I had a roof antenna put up?

Insight Communications is Offering ABC, CBS, HBO and Showtime in digital starting the 11th if you get a $10/mo box from them. But I don't want to do that because I'm a Directv subscriber.
post #278 of 6991 Old 04-02-2003, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Avian,
I live in Spencer and I can pick up 4,6,8,13 wfyi 20, and 59 hdtv channels at 88 to 92 strength and my dtc100 with a rooftop antenna. Also upn 23 in the 70s, and pbs wvut 22 in Vincennes and wthi in Terre Haute only in the mid 50s on those two channels and I have to turn the rotor on them so you should be just fine picking up the indy channels.

Brad
post #279 of 6991 Old 04-03-2003, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

BradH,

I'm impressed you can pick up WTHI in Terre Haute. It's only operating at about 1/3 power. When they finally crank up the power, you should easily get 90+ signal. Also, WTWO will be on the air toward the end of April. They are waiting for the transmitter to come in from Germany. It's date of arrival is April 19. Everything else is ready to go. I'll post back when they light up.
post #280 of 6991 Old 04-04-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

WTHI is hard to pickup if I didn't live on a big hill I don't think I would be able to pick it up at all, It will be nice when they are full power.

Brad
post #281 of 6991 Old 04-04-2003, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I have just noticed that WFYI DT 20.1 PBS demo loop is not running has anyone else had the same problem?

thanks
Brad
post #282 of 6991 Old 04-04-2003, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed it was out last night. Haven't checked today.

Les
post #283 of 6991 Old 04-05-2003, 05:29 AM

Go here-->
http://www.wfyi.org/wfyi2003/dtvMain.asp

They are planning on runing multicasts throghout the day and switching to HDTV at 8pm on 20.1. I hate this cause I used to watch SmartTravels at 7:30 and now I dont know when its on... On thier website above, they have a message board for DTV I know it is moderated. I wonder if we all go complain about it in there if we can get them to change it ?

Greg
post #284 of 6991 Old 04-05-2003, 03:14 PM

Tom W,
The NCAA feed looks and sounds terrific!!! Great job and thanks for all your hard work.
post #285 of 6991 Old 04-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Tom,

looks tonight's CBS is SD only, is that because of the NCAA?

thanks.
post #286 of 6991 Old 04-07-2003, 06:31 AM

I dont think so. I was watching My Big fat Greek Life, and when they switched to HD the sound was bad (Just Static) so eventually they switched back to SD. My guess is this might of had to do with the time change (East coast 1 hour ahead and they need to record it to play it at 8pm). Just a thought.

Greg
post #287 of 6991 Old 04-07-2003, 01:00 PM

I just set up my rooftop antenna and did my first scan for digital channels with Samsung SIR-TS160 at about 6pm last night. I live near Eagle Creek reservoir.

The scan got 5 digital channels (didn't make notes of which ones). Is there a place I can go (Indy digital and HDTV faq for newbies) to cross-check the performance of my system?

Also, I've browsed this forum a bit and saw something about "letting your receiver re-number the channels." What's the "proper" way to set this up?

Finally, when is the best time to scan for channels to program the most complele listing?

TIA,
Todd/Indy
post #288 of 6991 Old 04-07-2003, 08:37 PM

Wonder if any fellow Central Indiana viewer know what is up with WRTV- DT (25-1) ABC-affiliate?

"Altantis-" a lot of drop out, then was SD,

tonight it looks SD also?

thanks for your input,
post #289 of 6991 Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 PM

Just finished watching the NCAA championship on WISHDT (CBS).

In a word...breathless! The quality of the game was great...but the quality of the HDTV broadcast was OUTSTANDING!!!!

Great job Tom!
post #290 of 6991 Old 04-08-2003, 09:42 AM

I live in Lafayette, IN. I recently seen that Insight is offering HD for about 4 channels HBO, SHO I know of not sure what the other 2 channels are. Anyone have it? I have a Attic Antenna now nice large one with a channel Master amp, but I'm only able to pick up CBS and NBC maybe out of Indy.

I'd like to put up a roof antenna but have no idea what to buy or anything. So I'm thinking of going to the Cable.

Anyone have ideas of what Insight is like now and perhaps what they maybe like later or suggestions?

Shane
post #291 of 6991 Old 04-08-2003, 10:45 AM

In Kokomo they have HBO SHO CBS (Indy) and ABC (Indy), I think Lafayette is the same. I haven't seen Insight's HD yet. Trying to get my co-worker (who has a HD ready TV and Insight digital cable) to pay the extra $2 for the HD cable box rental, but he hasn't done so yet.

Let us know if you try it out.

OTA reception is marginal for some of the Indy stations in Kokomo. DirecTV dropouts during rain showers is a pain too. I'd probably consider going back to cable when they have more HD channels, except for:
-DirecTivo with 2 tuner recording is awesome
-I don't think the HD cable boxes can receive OTA HD broadcasts
post #292 of 6991 Old 04-08-2003, 11:45 AM

I think you are correct on the cable broadcasts not doing OTA HD. I have a Samsung T150 now for OTA, but like I said not getting great reception. Might sell it might not.

My Direct TV aggrement ends this month so I'm thinking of getting Digital cable with HD heck for 2 bucks why not. Just another peice of equipment in my huge rack of things.

Shane
post #293 of 6991 Old 04-08-2003, 11:51 AM

I think you are correct on the cable broadcasts not doing OTA HD. I have a Samsung T150 now for OTA, but like I said not getting great reception. Might sell it might not.

My Direct TV aggrement ends this month so I'm thinking of getting Digital cable with HD heck for 2 bucks why not. Just another peice of equipment in my huge rack of things.

Shane
post #294 of 6991 Old 04-09-2003, 09:29 AM

Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with Tribune for putting both Fox 59 and WB 4 on DTV 45. I live on Indy's north side and would have no chance of getting WB4's Trafalgar broadcast. Does anyone know if this is permanent, or will they remove WB from D45 when WTTK's DTV broadcast comes online? I use an indoor antenna, not certain on my chances of getting a signal from Kokomo. I get the UPN broadcast from Cicero fine, but that seems to be much higher power than the other channels, doubt I'd get 29 as well.

Also, I'm curious if the WTTV broadcast from Trafalgar does subchannels when the Pacers play. I noticed last night that the D45-1 WB feed cut away from the Pacers game at 9pm to switch to HDTV Smallville. Got me thinking that on their main signal they could just do a subchannel for the game and keep their regular programming schedule. I would LOVE that.
post #295 of 6991 Old 04-09-2003, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Last night WFYI DT had Nova on whiched looked real nice in 1080i.

Brad
post #296 of 6991 Old 04-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Anyone having issues with WTHR 13.1-2 tonight? I did some antenna adjustments earlier wich at the time did not seem to have an affect on reception. Now 13.1-2 is fading in and out with sig toping out in the high 90's which makes me think it might be a transmission problem. I also noticed they are not doing 16:9, its back to 4:3.

HDTV and Home Theater junkie
post #297 of 6991 Old 04-09-2003, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

fgr41,

I just switched to WTHR-DT. I see what you mean by the 4:3 screen, instead of the stretched 16:9. I've never seen this station look this way before. And as for the signal, it is rock solid at my location, but I'm only 3 miles from the tower.

I know it's not HD, but at the moment, IMO, the best looking PQ from all the Indy DTV stations is WXIN-DT. The Fox show that's on now is being presented in widescreen and looks very good for not being HD. By the way, I got an email today from Rick Poling at WXIN/WTTV. Rick is recuperating from surgery and apparently won't be back at work for another week or two. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Steve
post #298 of 6991 Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 AM

Glad to hear that the NCAA games went well. I was a little nervous because I was out of town for them, but I called in and everything seemed to be OK.

Since CBS changed their audio transmission setup, our HD delay audio setup needed to change, and we're getting that reset today, now that I'm back. Fortunately, last night was no real HD, so nothing lost, only Tuesday was an issue.

Regards,
Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #299 of 6991 Old 04-10-2003, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weber
Glad to hear that the NCAA games went well. I was a little nervous because I was out of town for them, but I called in and everything seemed to be OK.

Since CBS changed their audio transmission setup, our HD delay audio setup needed to change, and we're getting that reset today, now that I'm back. Fortunately, last night was no real HD, so nothing lost, only Tuesday was an issue.

Regards,
Tom Weber
WISH Engineering

Tom,

I, too, was out of town during the final games this past Saturday and Monday, but a friend told me that Monday nights game was one of the best HD events he's seen. He said it was really spectacular. Great job from CBS and WISH-DT.

By the way, hopefully all of your studio cameras are fine this afternoon following my studio visit with Pam Elliott this morning....... :-)

Steve
post #300 of 6991 Old 04-10-2003, 08:03 PM

CBS-HD (CSI and Without a trace) is sharp and vivid, thanks for your attention Tom.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page