Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 7031 Old 05-17-2003, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed Channel 6 being quite choppy lately.

The worst thing I have seen recently is Channel 13 and their broadcast of The West Wing. I realize it is just letter boxed and not HD but the OTA analog signal and OTA digital signal are over scanned beyond belief. I also have the same problems with the signal from DirecTV using my UltimateTV receiver. It is even worse when they run weather alerts...

Overall, remember we are now watching time shifted HD since Indiana doesn't switch time. If I remember, there were some glitches with this last summer too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7031 Old 05-21-2003, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rick Poling at WXIN/WTTV/WTTK had this comment in an email
today..............

"We're preparing to build WTTK-DT at Windfall at low power. It should
be on
the air by the end of July or so."

Apparently this is being done while the FCC reviews Tribune's request
to move WTTK-DT's tower site from the WTTK-29 tower in Windfall, IN to
the WXIN tower in NW Indy. I found the FCC info about the STA. It will
have 3.3kw. @ 500 ft.

MAX HD in Greensburg saw WTIU-DT, 14, Bloomington on the air this morning. Here at 6:30 p.m. I am not receiving it at all. Maybe the station is not ready for full-time operation, or maybe it's on the air and I'm too far away to receive it (58 miles).

Steve
post #363 of 7031 Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This morning at 7:56 I caught WTIU-DT, 14, Bloomington, back on the air. Living on the northside of Indy near Carmel, 58 miles from the WTIU tower, I was barely able to lock in a signal. Between the distance and their directional antenna, this will be a hit or miss DTV station for me.

Any other reception reports on this new station?

Steve
post #364 of 7031 Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM

I have a question about the DTV channel 45 -2 (or channel 59-2) WTTV-DT.

recently I noticed that WTTV-DT (45-2) is stretched only (even when "Everwood" and "Smallville" on)... wonder any policy change resulted in that?

would appreciate it if you could provide some insight.

thanks.

(unfortunately, I couldn't pick up DTV 53 (as I live on the N.W. side of Indy))
post #365 of 7031 Old 05-22-2003, 05:44 PM

Very, very annoying that channel 6 is having choppy audio problems during the NBA Playoffs. Is anyone else having the same stutter problems?
post #366 of 7031 Old 05-31-2003, 05:54 PM

WISE-DT 19-1 on the air in Fort Wayne (old call WKJG-33) they have a very good signal in SW Fort Wayne. You High Gain directionals outside 60 miles should get this one. And I'm sure most of you know WFFT-DT 36-1 (FOX 55) is running regular programming now.
post #367 of 7031 Old 05-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Randy J Mays
WISE-DT 19-1 on the air in Fort Wayne (old call WKJG-33) they have a very good signal in SW Fort Wayne. You High Gain directionals outside 60 miles should get this one. And I'm sure most of you know WFFT-DT 36-1 (FOX 55) is running regular programming now.

Thanks for the update Randy.Do you know what their hours of operation are,and power levels? Probably won't see them tonite as conditions are poor,but hopefully in the near future when conditions are more favorable.I've already picked up Dt-40 over a very strong WHMB-40,so these two ought be a piece of cake.
post #368 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 04:09 AM

Been a longtime visitor, first time post. Recently bought a HD200. Cannot get WRTV Channel 6 in HD for two nights. (Not happy that I missed Game 3 of the NHL playoffs) on Saturday. I have over 90% signal strength on that channel. The STB displays the channel as 25.1 however I only see the top half of the program the bottom half is all garbled. The STB picks up the audio in DD5.1 and transmits it fine. The STB maps 6.1 however it has no signal. It also maps 25 and 25.2. 25 comes in as nothing and 25.2 is the WRTV news. The weird thing is that 25 shows a program schedule (like religious programming) and everything else shows "regular schedule".

All the other HD channels work fine (but, I cannot find WTTV yet, analog has always been tough), get strong signal on WTHR, WISH, WFYI...

Things I have tried:

1.) Connected rabbit ears direct. No change.
2.) Different format mode. Tried them all no change.

Any thoughts? Me or the TV station?
post #369 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 04:27 AM

I live on the west side of town and have trouble with WRTV as well. In order to get it consistently I have to redirect my antenna which causes me to loose other stations. I can get 44, 45, and 32 at around 98 on the signal meeter. 9 comes in around 82 and 25 depends on the day.

I tried to catch the game on sat but was getting zero signal on 25. I don't know if they were having serious issues or my antenna was just way off.

WTTV might be coming in on 59.2, thats where I get it.

HDTV and Home Theater junkie
post #370 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 03:32 PM

Gee, I'm not aware that WRTV has mapped itself to 6-1 and 6-2 for many months now. Has it been a while siince you've done a thorough re-scan?

Also, on the set-top-boxes here (different brand), they will sometimes garble the bottom half of the screen. Fix is to turn the box off for 10 seconds. Note that this is on boxes that we have on 24/7/365.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #371 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hey tom if you need anyone to test signal in bloomington you could hook me up with a reciever heh I really wish HD recievers weren't so expensive.
post #372 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Ok I'm trying to watch the NHL game tonight and am getting very frustrated. My signal meeter for 25 will hit as hight as 98 and maintains a level of around 94 but then it drops to 40 or even goes to zero for a second or two then comes back up to the 90's.

My antenna is in my attic and nothing is external that would be shifting in the wind. My other channels are not seeing the dramatic shift in signal strength, although WISH is kinda low.

Is anyone else seeing that kind of signal fluctuation tonight?

post #373 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

fgr41,
I'm no expert but that sounds like multipath. I haven't been watching HD tonight since I can only wish SciFi was available that way so haven't observed your issue today. I did fight the same thing until I got my current attic antenna location. WRTV is a particular problem for this. Seems like weather changes can cause it too. It doesn't have to be your antenna moving but anything in between you and the transmitter, trees, airplanes etc.

From what I understand the signal meter on a HD reciever isn't strength but quality. Multipath increasing the error rate can give those kinds of drops in level. It can be really frustrating to solve.

Les
post #374 of 7031 Old 06-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Auber
fgr41,
I'm no expert but that sounds like multipath. I haven't been watching HD tonight since I can only wish SciFi was available that way so haven't observed your issue today. I did fight the same thing until I got my current attic antenna location. WRTV is a particular problem for this. Seems like weather changes can cause it too. It doesn't have to be your antenna moving but anything in between you and the transmitter, trees, airplanes etc.

From what I understand the signal meter on a HD reciever isn't strength but quality. Multipath increasing the error rate can give those kinds of drops in level. It can be really frustrating to solve.

Is there anything that will help me aim the antenna to optimize the signal?

post #375 of 7031 Old 06-03-2003, 03:57 AM

I figured I would come home yesterday and the problem with WRTV would still be there and I would miss the NHL game. To my surprise, everything worked. I saw my first HD hockey game last night. Don't know what happened, I didn't do anything but I was extremely happy about it.

Maybe it was the 10 second rule, but I am kind of doubting it.

I checked WTTV on channel 59.2 and sure enough it was there. Thanks.

I bought my STB on Saturday so it has been recent. 6.1 is displayed but has no signal.
post #376 of 7031 Old 06-03-2003, 05:34 PM

MAX HD,

Your question "Do you know what their hours of operation are,and power levels?" WISE-TV 33 DT 19-1 is up the full broadcast day but I could not get a response from the head engineer on the power output. (voice mail only and they won't call back)
post #377 of 7031 Old 06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

fgr41,
Maybe the experts have a way to get an antenna right the first time but I sure don't know it. Like I said it's frustrating with trial and much error at least for me. I started off playing with rabbit ears and then a radio shack double bow tie in the living room. No matter what I did there I could only get one or two stations at a time no matter how it was aimed. I got semi-lucky when I put an antenna in the attic. The location turned out ok but I almost wore the ladder out going up and down tweaking the azimuth. Even now I'll have a station drop out occaisionally like you described. WRTV is particularly bad in this respect and it comes back in with me doing nothing in a day or so.

I have no clue if it's something they're doing at the tranmitter site or something in between. I do know the RS double bow tie I'm using is borderline for my location.

One thing you might try is www.antennaweb.org. When you feed in your address it will give you the correct azimuth for the stations from your location. This is at least a good starting point for aiming. If it is multipath a different location in your attic may be better.

A more directional antenna may help also since they are less sensitive to off axis reception. If there's an sure fire method of antenna selection I've never heard it. What works in one place may fail in another under what appears to be similar.

Hopefully one of the station engineers that actually understand RF propogation and other arcane arts chimes in here if I'm too far off on anything.

Les
post #378 of 7031 Old 06-06-2003, 12:06 PM

Could someone tell me where I could find a listing of all the HDTV stations in Indianapolis or provide me with the station numbers. Could someone also explain how the station numbering works such as 59-1, 13-2, etc. Sorry if this seems very basic but I am new to the game. Thanks.
post #379 of 7031 Old 06-06-2003, 01:44 PM

I have some info here: http://www.itesla.com/indyhd

Other than that take a look at all the FAQ's in these forums.
post #380 of 7031 Old 06-07-2003, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is a web page for the whole state www.100000watts.com/tv/IN.html

Brad
post #381 of 7031 Old 06-10-2003, 08:38 AM

Quick west side (Eagle Creek area) DTV question... Is VHF at all important for central IN digital TV reception, or is only UHF needed? I want to try a Zenith Silver Sensor, which is UHF only. Anybody done this?

Thanks,
Todd/Indy
post #382 of 7031 Old 06-10-2003, 10:24 AM

If you want to watch CBS, VHF is important. WISH DTV is channel 9. I wish they would make all the DTV stations UHF so I could buy a big UHF antenna instead of a medium VHF-UHF combo. CBS in Lafayette is VHF 11 too.
post #383 of 7031 Old 06-10-2003, 11:24 AM

Thanks... Interesting--my brother has the Silver Sensor and he tells me he gets WISH just fine with it. Is this possible? Or will a "UHF only" antenna like the Silver Sensor sometimes reach into the upper VHF band?

Todd/Indy
post #384 of 7031 Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using a RS double bow tie UHF antenna for the Indy stations, WISH included. Works fine. Don't know if this translates to the larger UHF only antennas or not.

Les
post #385 of 7031 Old 06-11-2003, 10:45 AM

I just switched from using my Samsung 151 to Insight today. I live in Lafayette, and haven't been able to get great signals from over the air. Wife was fighting me on putting up the Antenna on the roof instead of the attic. So I gave up and droped DTV and chose to get Insight (have cable modem already).

I don't really like haveing two seperate boxes, especially now I have to use 2 Digital inputs on my reciever. And the fact only have 4 channels. CBS, ABC, HBO and SHO. But hopefully they get some more HD channels in the future.

Anyone else using Insight in Indiana? Good bad?

Now to find a guide on what HBO and SHO are broadcasting in HD.

Shane
post #386 of 7031 Old 06-11-2003, 02:13 PM

Within maybe 10 miles of the transmitter, I wouln't be at all surprised to see a UHF antenna pick up enough of VHF to make your sets work. It's a horribly inefficient process but at that close, there's lots of signal so even a lot of inefficiency is OK.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #387 of 7031 Old 06-12-2003, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed this evening that WTIU-DT, 14, Bloomington (PBS), is finally back on the air. I have not seen it for almost three weeks. I believe the station had some interference issues to resolve.

I am 58 miles from their tower and although their analog signal on ch. 30 is very poor at my location tonight, the digital signal is fairly strong and stable. I'm seeing a few dropouts. 14-1 is the PBS-HD loop and 14-2 is the regular analog feed.

Steve
post #388 of 7031 Old 06-13-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve,

I will try it tonight Iam only 20 miles or so from the tower but have not caught them on the air yet. Are they mapping the dtv to 30-1 and 30-2?

Thanks
Brad
post #389 of 7031 Old 06-13-2003, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BRADH
Thanks Steve,

I will try it tonight Iam only 20 miles or so from the tower but have not caught them on the air yet. Are they mapping the dtv to 30-1 and 30-2?

Thanks
Brad

Brad,

WTIU-DT was not on the air this morning, at least prior to 8:15. Apparently the station is still testing and making adjustments. Emails to the station in the past have gone unanswered.

As for remapping to ch. 30, I can't answer that question. Because I enjoy occasional DTV DXing, I don't use that feature on my STB. I have it turned off. When looking for new DTV's, I find it very confusing to use the remapping feature.

Have you or anyone else heard any recent news about WTBU-DT, 44 or WIPX-DT, 27?

Steve
post #390 of 7031 Old 06-14-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,
I haven't heard anything on WTBU-DT OR WIPX-DT. I have called WTIU and spoke with Brad a few times but he has nothing really to say. I will watch WFYI.

Brad
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page