Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6956 Old 10-15-2003, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been experiencing a fairly loud popping sound when watching WRTV-DT? It usually happens 4-5 times during the entire time MNF is on. It also occurs during the Disney movie on Saturday nights. I don't watch much on ABC except MNF, but I do occasionally check other programs that are in HD just to see how they look. I have noticed the occasional "pop" in the short time I tune in to these programs. I can't believe this is my problem as I have good signal strength on all channels and this only occurs on WRTV-DT. This has been happening the past few months, and I thought it would be a good idea to check with others in here. It doesn't seem to be a national problem as I have seen no complaints about this in the HDTV Programming forum.

P.S. Are they ever going to fix the lip sync and color/tint problem on NBC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CsquaredIN
Has anyone been experiencing a fairly loud popping sound when watching WRTV-DT?

Yes, I've been having this problem the past few weeks, go back a couple pages in this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...44#post2719944

Please go to their website and complain so they know this is happening to more people... http://www.theindychannel.com/rtv6/112069/detail.html
post #543 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 06:28 PM

Anyone else having problems with WISH-DT tonight? I usually get 75-80% signal strength here on the westside and tonight I'm getting nothing. All the other channels are working just fine.
post #544 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 06:43 PM

No signal on WISH here in Fishers.
post #545 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 06:45 PM

Ditto here in Greenfield. Both OTA and on Insight HD

Greg
post #546 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Another Fisher location without OTA 8.1.

Greg,

How are the HD channels via Insight? I'm using DirecTV and have some interest in checking out Insight. I guess they still require two boxes and I would at least wait until it's one. I think the HD channel offerings are the same outside of Bravo.

Right now I pay $64 a month for Total Choice, Locals, HD Package with 3 receivers. I could drop DirecTV's locals but then my wife would kill me since the TiVo wouldn't be able to record the couple of shows she actually watches.
post #547 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 07:05 PM

Looks like WISH-DT is back online.
post #548 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 07:26 PM

I am thinking of checking out Comcast's HD channels. What HD channels do they have available? I am on the west side of Indy. Also what costs are involved?

Quality OK?

Thanks in advance

Ken
post #549 of 6956 Old 10-16-2003, 08:25 PM

No WISH-DT in N.W. side (next to the Transmitter Tower). Bummer,

Thanks.
post #550 of 6956 Old 10-17-2003, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Charles R
Another Fisher location without OTA 8.1.

Greg,

How are the HD channels via Insight? I'm using DirecTV and have some interest in checking out Insight. I guess they still require two boxes and I would at least wait until it's one. I think the HD channel offerings are the same outside of Bravo.

Right now I pay $64 a month for Total Choice, Locals, HD Package with 3 receivers. I could drop DirecTV's locals but then my wife would kill me since the TiVo wouldn't be able to record the couple of shows she actually watches.

Insight's HD is good. I debated for a while to either get DirectTV or cable before I made my mind up on Insisght. You have to subscribe to Digital Cable to get HD, and you pay 2$ a month for the HD box and the following channels. HBO HD(If you subscribe to HBO), SHO HD (If you subscribe to Showtime), Bravo HD, CBS (WISH HD), ABC (WRTV HD), and PBS (Changes between WFYI and Another PBS. Cant remember thet Station). Then if you want to pay $7.99 a month you can get ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNET, HDNET movies. I get everything but SHowtime, and Love it. If you count my Cable Modem service I pay ~$98 a month for everything. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Greg
post #551 of 6956 Old 10-17-2003, 08:21 AM

Does anyone here use channel 53 to view WTTV-DT and/or WXIN-DT? For over two weeks now, 53 freezes (both audio and video) once every six seconds (give or take a second), with each freeze lasting one second.

Anyone have any idea what could cause such a perfect signal interruption pattern? Can anyone verify that 53 itself is fine? Thanks!
post #552 of 6956 Old 10-17-2003, 09:45 AM

Mea culpa. Our normal modulator had a minor problem that got much worse when I tried to fix it yesterday afternoon. (Thanks, Murphy!)

Thought I had the loaner configured just fine by dinnertime. Some time in the evening it barfed bad, and it took me till midnight to be minimally satisfied that we could run while the original unit goes back to the factory.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #553 of 6956 Old 10-17-2003, 12:25 PM

Tom,

Last Nights CSI and Without a Trace were Repeats so I guess we can let you off the hook ! In all seriousness thanks for everything you do!

Greg
post #554 of 6956 Old 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KBandy
I am thinking of checking out Comcast's HD channels. What HD channels do they have available? I am on the west side of Indy. Also what costs are involved?

Quality OK?

Thanks in advance

Ken

I currently have the Comcast HD offerings. The quality is good. I get ESPNHD, NBC, CBS, PBS, INHD, and INHD2 included. HBO and SHO are available as long as you subscribe. This is for an extra $5 dollars a month on top of the regular Digital Cable price. I haven't had any problems with the box or the service.
post #555 of 6956 Old 10-21-2003, 06:46 PM

Why no HD on WRTV evening? I also get the popping sound.
post #556 of 6956 Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Hunt
Why no HD on WRTV evening? I also get the popping sound.

I emailed WRTV about the audio/video issue and they contacted me a couple of times. Once to tell me to check out last night's MNF since they would be using their backup system to see if the issue wouldn't be there. And it was fine for me last night during the game.

I haven't checked them out tonight.
post #557 of 6956 Old 10-21-2003, 07:05 PM

Now RTV switched to 4:3 with no streching.

(FYI: I have been away from here for a while and there is a lot of stuff to read just in this thread. HDTV lives.)
post #558 of 6956 Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Hunt
Now RTV switched to 4:3 with no streching.

(FYI: I have been away from here for a while and there is a lot of stuff to read just in this thread. HDTV lives.)

That's interesting. When I emailed them to say MNF was fine I put in a vote for no stretching...
post #559 of 6956 Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 AM

The frustration is getting unbearable....

Last night on WISH 8-1 CSI started out in SD. I called the station and left a message on the technical difficulties hot line and about 20 minutes later it switched to HD but with horrendous audio problems (drop-outs and echos).

Every time I flip on PBS 20-1 the HD video is flawless and the audio is perfect and sometimes even 5.1.
post #560 of 6956 Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by RogerB
The frustration is getting unbearable....

Last night on WISH 8-1 CSI started out in SD. I called the station and left a message on the technical difficulties hot line and about 20 minutes later it switched to HD but with horrendous audio problems (drop-outs and echos).

Every time I flip on PBS 20-1 the HD video is flawless and the audio is perfect and sometimes even 5.1.

RogerB,

Yes, a number of us know about the frustration level. I believe some of that frustration will subside starting Sunday, not only for DTV viewers but for the local DTV broadcasters, too. Daylight Saving Time ends this weekend, which means the local stations will no longer have to record and replay the network programs. This means the stations will be able to air the direct feed from the networks, which should minimize audio and video difficulties.

Also, as was discussed several months ago at this site, most of the audio/video breakups that occasionally occur on WXIN and WTTV should disappear when the stations move into their new facility, supposedly next month. Rick Poling pushed the company for extra equipment that should eliminate the problem..... :-)

As for additional HD broadcasts in this market, I read another post last week indicating that UPN has added a few HD programs to its lineup, and that WNDY-DT 32 will begin passing them along in HD starting Oct. 29.

Here's to less frustration, leading to more happy hours of viewing local HDTV!

Steve
post #561 of 6956 Old 10-24-2003, 01:51 PM

I'll be happy when WRTV gets their problems straightened out. My two favorite shows (Alias & Threat Matrix) have been unbearable in HD due to these problems. Everyone keep emailing them if you are still having problems like me.
post #562 of 6956 Old 10-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Liked: 12
I'm unable to receive WNDY-DT 32 where I leave (Sheridan), but I am able to receive 23-1 which says its UPN 23. Am I going to be able to watch Enterprise in HD this coming Wednesday on 23-1?

I'm sure I'm going to have to invest in an outdoor antenna at some point, but I'm avoiding it as long as I can.

Thanks.
post #563 of 6956 Old 10-24-2003, 11:46 PM

If you are seeing 23-1, that should be WNDY-DT and you should see HD when they air it. Your receiver "maps" the digital channel number over to their analog channel number and puts the "-1" so you know it's the digital broadcast. Their is probably a better technical word for "maps" but that's what I always call it.
post #564 of 6956 Old 10-25-2003, 01:39 AM
akh

What is the status of the Indy DTV stations as far as power goes (Who is at full power and who isn't)?

Of the ones that aren't (if any) is there any word on when they will be at full steam?

-AKH
post #565 of 6956 Old 10-25-2003, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Several of the Indy DTV's are at full power (per the FCC), including WRTV-DT 25 (898kW) and WXIN-DT 45 (700kW). WTHR-DT 46 has approval from the FCC to go to 1000kW but according to one of the engineers it is currently running around 700kW. WNDY-DT 32 (tower north of Noblesville, near Strawtown) is operating at 1000kW but has to operate with a fairly directional antenna. Most of the signal is aimed towards Indy and Marion, with very little signal to the west. Check out details on this station and others at www.fccinfo.com. On the first line, click tv, enter call letters and then submit.

Currently WTTV-DT 53 is operating with only 4kW but WTTV programming is available via WXIN-DT's subchannel.

Steve
post #566 of 6956 Old 10-27-2003, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MNF not in HD tonight on ABC

Some of you might have already received this email from Paul Roehm at WRTV, but if not, here goes........................................................ .......

HDTV info for Monday Night Football - Tonight, Monday 10/27/03:

Please note that "Monday Night Football" will not be produced in HDTV as originally scheduled for tonight. As a result of a change in event location, the game will not air in HDTV but will be digitally upconverted from ABC NY and fed on Telstar-5 Channel 12. This program will be digitally upconverted in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Paul Roehm
WRTV, Indianapolis
paul_roehm@wrtv.com
(317) 269-1488
post #567 of 6956 Old 10-27-2003, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Paul,

I had read such in the HDTV Programming forum.
post #568 of 6956 Old 10-28-2003, 07:54 AM
PFC

Colts at Miami in HD on CBS!!!
post #569 of 6956 Old 10-28-2003, 08:35 AM

Liked: 12
I am located near Lafayette, IN and have been getting my digital stations from Indy for well over a year now. I have been through two IRDs and been mostly happy with my DST3000 for close to a year now. A few weeks or months back, my receiver rebooted from loose of power or just decided it needed to or who knows what. Anyway I had to rescan for channels, found most, can't get 9 up here at all. Sort of bites because 11 isn't HD yet. Anyway, for the past few weeks, I only something like "local channel info" in my guide for all the digital stations except 11 (18 for Lafayette). I also had to go to the digital channel to have it remap. This worked on all except for 25-1. Now, 6-1 gives me nothing. Reading through I see several people with the 25-1 remap issue, but haven't seen others with the missing guide info. Did I miss something in my rescan? Are others getting the guide info? Seems odd that I use to get it and now I only get it from WLFI.

Any comments would be appreciated. Reception isn't a problem and signal is usually >70 for 25,45,46,11 9 and 20(or21) is usually <30

Thanks,

Rabbit
post #570 of 6956 Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 AM

Did you enter an Indianapolis zip code (46060 is Noblesville, if you need one) for your Area 2 local provider, under the dish setup?

bakem
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page