Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #631 of 6997 Old 11-29-2003, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, if anyone is interested the IU basketball game is being shown on HDnet at 4pm today. I am pretty excited to finally start watching some basketball in HD. I believe later this season ESPN will start showing some of their weekly games in HD as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6997 Old 11-29-2003, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weber
Why settle for the AFC Championship? (Super Bowl's on Feb 1st this season!)

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering

Well, Feb 1 it is then.
post #633 of 6997 Old 12-01-2003, 06:37 AM

To anyone interested,
I just signed up for the new Insight HD Package in Bloomington. The channels will be available next Monday the 8th. They also will be putting in a new all in one box. The motorola 6208. Pricing is 12.95 a month for the box which is 2 dollars more than what I was paying for two boxes (I expected this). 7.95 for the new package (I expected this). and 7.45 a month for the DVR Service ( I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS). The price seems kind of steep for the DVR service. I hope this new box does some pretty amazing things for this extra cost. I asked if I could just continue to use my 2 boxes and still get the new channels and the customer rep. said no. Of course I wouldn't choose this option because I've been looking forward to being able to record HD for a long time and I love the whole idea of pausing live tv. I know other cities that Insight serves already have these new channels and they are still using two boxes so I guess they are just trying to sqeeze every penny out of us they can.

Zach
post #634 of 6997 Old 12-01-2003, 11:48 AM

Just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing - if CBS switched from the game to a commercial, you'd get the black bars running down the sides, because they leave non-HD content in 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't really expect that there should have been a pop at these times.

On the other hand, when switching between the game and LOCAL commercials, WISH does the stretch (I'm doing what I'm told), but we don't have local 5.1 capability, so the Dolby decode/encode system has to switch gears, and a pop is possible.

Do you recall which type of commercial breaks caused the pop?

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #635 of 6997 Old 12-02-2003, 10:08 AM

I just spoke with a customer service rep and she said that they would not be charging extra for the DVR service.
post #636 of 6997 Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 PM

This is for everyone who lives in Central Indiana. Which station has the best PQ for their HD football, in your opinion? I have seen a majority of the pro and college games available on CBS (WISH), ABC (WRTV), and ESPN. I receive WISH and WRTV OTA and ESPN via DirecTV. I think WISH has the best picture, followed closely by ESPN, and ABC comes in a distant third. The main reason I think ABC is so far back is because there seems to be an awful lot of compression artifacts when looking at the football field during the main camera views (the view when the players are at the line of scrimmage). Virtually everyone in the main HDTV Programming forum finds there to be nothing wrong with MNF (many say it is spectacular), so this leads me to believe that it is a local issue. The main reason for my comments here is to find out why MNF looks so bad. I am not wowed when I watch MNF like I am when I watch football on the other stations. All comments, opinions, and thoughts are certainly welcome.

Steve (a.k.a. goldrich), would it be possible for you to find out from Paul Roehm at WRTV how much bandwidth is being allocated between 25-1 and 25-2? It seems like someone posted this information from WISH so it would be good to compare the two. Here is the info for WISH:

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weber
Roughly, HD runs at 16 Mbits, LWS at 2 Mbits, and radar at 0.5 Mbits. Audio and PSIP round out the rest.

Yeah, I'm having an issue with an audio device. It got reset when the early morning maintenance guy came in and noticed it.

I need to upgrade PSIP soon anyway to deal with Closed Captioning. Perhaps that will help with the STB reboots. That's the first I had heard of that in several months.

Regards,
Tom Weber
WISH Engineering

post #637 of 6997 Old 12-03-2003, 01:38 PM

I also get WISH and WRTV OTA, and ESPN-HD via DirecTV. I totally agree that WISH HD football games, either NCAA or NFL, usually look stunning while ABCs and ESPNs look a bit worse. Not bad at all, just not a good as CBS.

I always assumed that its caused by the 1080i to 720p side conversion that my equipment does for ESPN and ABC (my display is 1080i only). I have never seen ESPN or ABC HD football on 720p native equipment though to compare.

Steve
post #638 of 6997 Old 12-03-2003, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I view HDTV via a projector and a RPTV both with more or less the same receiver (Sony HD200 and HD300). For me 1080i wins on both sets as the image is a little smoother (more detailed) with HDNet (via DirecTV) the best.

Locally, 8.1 looks great at times though I notice pixel break-up with a lot of motion. Especially on the 100" projector image. I do not see this via HDNet so I do not think it's within my system. I also see this same break-up to a lesser degree on the 55" set.

Both channels with 720p look a little sharper (on the 55" set) without as much fine detail. Which 720p channel looks best varies by so many factors I can't really say one is better than the other.
post #639 of 6997 Old 12-04-2003, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote]Originally posted by CsquaredIN

Steve (a.k.a. goldrich), would it be possible for you to find out from Paul Roehm at WRTV how much bandwidth is being allocated between 25-1 and 25-2?
............................................................ ..............

I just received this reply from Paul Roehm at WRTV-DT...........................

25.1 - 15mb/s (includes 384kb audio)
25.2 - 4.2mb/s (includes 384kb audio)
PSIP et. al. .19mb/s
(PSIP up beginning today. Only populated on 25.2. I will have to write some software for getting guide data onto 25.1)

480i encoder doesn't want to work well below 4mb/s The new PSIP generator will show a pie chart of how much is actually being used in each stream on a dynamic basis. 720p is not occupying its full 15 and may be bumped up.

p:
post #640 of 6997 Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 PM

Thanks for checking on that Steve. It's greatly appreciated. Hopefully they'll bump up the 720p to the full 15mb/s. I'm sure every bit of bandwidth helps for HD so it's too bad their 480i encoder doesn't work well below 4mb/s. I'll be looking forward to hearing updates on any bandwidth changes and the DD5.1 issue.

swegrzyn and Charles R, thanks for your posts as well. Has anyone else noticed what I've been seeing? If not, see if you notice it during the next MNF game. Just look at the grass/turf when the players are at the line of scrimmage before a play starts, and see if you notice any compression. I don't mean to run this issue into the ground, but I just wanted to get a wide variety of views.

Chris
post #641 of 6997 Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WXIN/WTTV Moving to New Facility

I received an update from Rick Poling at WXIN/WTTV about their move to their new facility near 465 and W. 71st St., and Rick included some info about FOX going HD next year.............................................

"WXIN went on the air from the new building Dec. 2 at 11PM."

"FOX-HD happens next fall, 720p. Unfortunately, since they haven't told us
how they are going to do this yet, nothing was incorporated into the new
building to accomodate it, per se. We are changing out our microwave
systems so we can separate the DT streams when FOX changes next fall.".......................................................

"Give me a few days before you complain about the audio levels on WXIN or WXIN-DT. They're all screwed up right now. It helps to be able to set
stuff up ahead of time, but you can't if you have to move equipment from the old place to the new and don't get any sign-off time to calibrate stuff. Oh well. Hopefully by Monday I'll have it straightened out."

"Yeah we're real busy right now. As I said, WXIN is in the new building and
the debugging has begun. But, at the same time, I also need to get ready to move WTTV in two weeks."

Rick

............................................................ .................................................

Thanks to Rick Poling for the update. Good luck and best wishes in your new facility!!..........Steve
post #642 of 6997 Old 12-16-2003, 12:56 PM

MNF was in DD5.1 for about the first 10-15 minutes of the game, but then it disappeared and didn't return. Anyone else notice this? Steve, any news on the DD5.1 and/or the bandwidth allocation for HD from WRTV? (Paul Roehm mentioned that they might bump up the bandwith for the 720p.) Just curious!
post #643 of 6997 Old 12-17-2003, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by goldrich
"FOX-HD happens next fall, 720p. Unfortunately, since they haven't told us
how they are going to do this yet, nothing was incorporated into the new
building to accomodate it, per se. We are changing out our microwave
systems so we can separate the DT streams when FOX changes next fall.".......................................................

I assume that's also why they've stopped feeding the HD feeds for either fox or wb for the last few days. But is that just a temporary thing, or are they not going to broadcast any HD content until they've got WB and FOX on different trasnport streams? That might be awhile... I'd like to at least see them go back to HD WB until that's ready to go.
post #644 of 6997 Old 12-18-2003, 05:09 AM
PFC

Digital WTHR (Channel 13) just showed up on my cable (Brighthouse). Unfortunately, for the HD programs, there is an awful delay in the sound track. Am I the only one experiencing this in Indy?
post #645 of 6997 Old 12-18-2003, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Digital WTHR (Channel 13) just showed up on my cable (Brighthouse). Unfortunately, for the HD programs, there is an awful delay in the sound track. Am I the only one experiencing this in Indy?

No, you are not. The problem is not with your cable. I believe it's a network problem (but I can't swear that it's not a WTHR thing).
post #646 of 6997 Old 12-18-2003, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PFC

Nope. I've noticed this for a while in their OTA broadcasts, too. It can be quite annoying at times, making shows unwatchable.

bakem
post #647 of 6997 Old 12-18-2003, 10:08 AM

Got this note from John at WXIN/WTTV:
"We should be back up with prime time HD (network provided) Monday
December 22. This is what I was told. We are still working out the bug in some of the equipment. Thank you for watching."
post #648 of 6997 Old 12-19-2003, 02:48 PM

I'm disappointed that we get the Titans vs Texans on Sunday instead of Dolphins vs Bills in HD. The Titans mean nothing to us if the Colts take care of their own business. I would much rather see HD football in all its glory on CBS than a game that doesn't mean anything to us. Of course I'd rather see any decent game in HD than any SD game unless it's the Colts. Does WISH have any say at all in which game they show or does CBS decide?
post #649 of 6997 Old 12-21-2003, 07:10 PM

I have noticed that on ESPN HD (ch. 173) on Comcast Cable in Indianapolis, the audio is always just Dolby Stereo. For instance, tonight's Colts game was advertised at the top of the broadcast as being in 5.1, but it wasn't.

Anyone have any observations?

Ken
post #650 of 6997 Old 12-21-2003, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KBandy
I have noticed that on ESPN HD (ch. 173) on Comcast Cable in Indianapolis, the audio is always just Dolby Stereo. For instance, tonight's Colts game was advertised at the top of the broadcast as being in 5.1, but it wasn't.

Anyone have any observations?

Ken

Unfortunately, ESPN-HD's version of 5.1 is not Dolby Digital. They use
"SRS Circle Surround", which, of course, needs a receiver with Circle Surround decoding to take full advantage of. Dolby Digital or DTS decoding won't cut it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ircle+surround

bakem
post #651 of 6997 Old 12-22-2003, 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bakem84
Unfortunately, ESPN-HD's version of 5.1 is not Dolby Digital. They use
"SRS Circle Surround", which, of course, needs a receiver with Circle Surround decoding to take full advantage of. Dolby Digital or DTS decoding won't cut it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ircle+surround

bakem

Well, I guess that explains it.

Thanks,
Ken
post #652 of 6997 Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 AM
PFC

I checked out Leno last night for the first time because I now get WTHR in HD. The first part of the show was definitely high def. But, it seemed like after the first segment, it was not. The picture looked like it was in zoom mode because leno's head was too wide, but there was some cropping at the top and bottom. The peacock in the corner was about half cut off. I assume our local affiliate just failed to turn it back to high def after the comercial break. Did anyone notice this?
post #653 of 6997 Old 12-23-2003, 08:20 AM

I did not notice that problem on Jay Lenno last night. I was watching on WISE-DT Fort Wayne.
post #654 of 6997 Old 12-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Digital Fox was added to the Comcast lineup about a week and a half ago and we're still not recieving fox widescreen for any of the shows. I'm just wondering if anyone is recieving the widescreen programming yet or are they still working on their move to the new facility. Any information would be helpful or even an email address for who I can contact at the station. Thanks.
post #655 of 6997 Old 12-27-2003, 04:36 PM

I don't believe they are doing 16:9 yet. (short and sweet)

HDTV and Home Theater junkie
post #656 of 6997 Old 12-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Ok I'm getting a bit upset. I am able to get all the local HD channels I want except for WISH. I have tweaked my antenna positioning. I have shortened my cable run, nothing seems to let me get a good lock on 9.

I am running the Channel Master 3018 in my attic with about a 40-60 foot cable run. I am located in 46123 zip and have the antenna pointed East-Notheast. I don't understand why I cant get a good signal. There are no large buildings in my way, there are no monster trees etc...

What can I try?

post #657 of 6997 Old 12-28-2003, 08:22 PM

46123 is Avon right ?. Have you tried aiming your antenna to point more to the north ? it might work. CBS transmitter is close to Michigan Rd and 71st. I think.
Dave
post #658 of 6997 Old 12-28-2003, 11:17 PM

yeah, tried that. antenna has gone from north all the way to east with no luck.

post #659 of 6997 Old 12-29-2003, 08:20 AM

How is your picture on WISAH-8 analog? That's a good predictor of performance for WISH-DT on 9.

Tom Weber
WISH Engineering
post #660 of 6997 Old 12-29-2003, 09:09 AM

WISH analog comes in fine. The reception is as good as WTHR and better than WRTV. Currently I'm reading a signal level of 50/100 for WISH-D. My HD receiver is the Sony SAT-HD100.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page