Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #6961 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
WISH lost their CBS affiliation and all that comes with it. Basically, they are screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since WISH is owned by LIN, and LIN owns WTHI, WLFI and WISH, it will be interesting to see what happens with those affiliation agreements. I think the newscasts will come from WXIN. I have seen a lot of simulcasting of news shows around the country. Indy is late to party on this.

Anyone (except me) remember the big network change when WTHR and WRTV swapped networks? This is gonna be fun!
post #6963 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another source

http://fox59.com/2014/08/11/tribune-...-indianapolis/

As crazy as it all seems, this actually might help a few of my friends in Bloomington who have trouble getting Indy Stations over the air.
WTTV is in trafalgar, and comes in very well in Bloomington.
post #6964 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
I'm not sure what this really means.
Does WISH's current programming (including news, sports, etc) just change frequencies, or does WISH have to go network shopping, while WTTV starts from scratch assembling news, sports, etc?
WTTV currently broadcasts nothing of local interest, in my opinion.
I simply don't understand what this means.
HELP!
I similar thing happened in Green Bay - once one station changes like this it may be a domino effect where everything in the market bounces around.

Or maybe the Fox 59 talent moves to the higher profile CBS station? Hard to say!
post #6965 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 17
I was pretty much stunned when reading this announcement. WISH has been the feed for CBS in Indy since the 1940's. And, the story states that WTTV (and I assume WTTK) is keeping the CW feeds on the .2 channel. Where does that leave WISH? It's not like they can pick up another network feed easily. Also-I know that WLFI (LaFayette) works with WISH directly for their CBS feeds. How is that arrangement going to have to change? This is not like when channels 13 and 6 swapped network affiliations some time ago. In the end, they still both had a network feed (albeit each others). It appears WISH is left with nothing. As mentioned before, this is going to be interesting.
post #6966 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I was pretty much stunned when reading this announcement. WISH has been the feed for CBS in Indy since the 1940's. And, the story states that WTTV (and I assume WTTK) is keeping the CW feeds on the .2 channel. Where does that leave WISH? It's not like they can pick up another network feed easily. Also-I know that WLFI (LaFayette) works with WISH directly for their CBS feeds. How is that arrangement going to have to change? This is not like when channels 13 and 6 swapped network affiliations some time ago. In the end, they still both had a network feed (albeit each others). It appears WISH is left with nothing. As mentioned before, this is going to be interesting.
It also sounds like they gambled and lost badly. It will be left with nothing.
post #6967 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Mike Ahern is rolling over in his gr...

Uh, he's what? Oh....

Never mind!
post #6968 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Fastincating article, even if four years old

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...22910357065971

The article discusses the changing landscape for local TV stations.
I learned a lot, although this may be common knowledge to many of you.

Less and less programming appears on local stations. I used to watch all of the big college bowl games on local stations, now they're pretty much exclusively on cable.

I just hope enough people get fed up with high cable bills and shift the landscape back in favor of the local stations.
post #6969 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM

As an aside--I bet that outside of the very top management of WISH, the rank and file knew nothing of this until the announcement. I can only guess at the fear, lack of morale and rumors that are flying there now. This would not be a pretty picture to see nor a happy place to be right now. I empathize for the workers there.
post #6970 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
As an aside--I bet that outside of the very top management of WISH, the rank and file knew nothing of this until the announcement. I can only guess at the fear, lack of morale and rumors that are flying there now. This would not be a pretty picture to see nor a happy place to be right now. I empathize for the workers there.
Wonder if Angela Buchman ('Anng' ... as commonly referred to by the male WTHR on-air talent ) knew something when she bail-out 6 months ago.

Chris C
post #6971 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Wonder if Angela Buchman ('Anng' ... as commonly referred to by the male WTHR on-air talent ) knew something when she bail-out 6 months ago.
She left in 2012. She had to sit out a year due to a non-compete clause in her contract.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #6972 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
WTTV will have to start anew with a large dollop of cash from Tribune Co. Guess their OTA will still be based in Trafalgar which is a bummer for those northerly. Maybe they can hire the Channel 8 news staff. There are no networks that WISH can adopt AFAIK. I've heard not so nice things about LIN over the years. Looks like they peed in their chili this time, at least as far as the staff of WISH and the City of Indianapolis is concerned. I doubt they even care. Other than Randy Ollis I have no recognition of anyone on their news staff. Wish them all the best. Where is Sammy Terry when we need him most.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)

Last edited by GLBright; 08-11-2014 at 04:42 PM.
post #6973 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM

This network moving is big news

http://www.ibj.com/article?articleId=48994

I've learned a lot about broadcast television today.....
post #6974 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Remember when WTTV was just a little Bloomington station we were lucky to get in Anderson. Owned by Sarkes Tarzian. Had some good after school programming (Janie, et al.) 50 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarkes_Tarzian

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #6975 of 6987 Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder if Tribune went after CBS, because they may eventually drop CW once the affiliation agreements are up in Tribune markets in 2016. While I might not be in the Indianapolis market, but seeing a change in network affiliation is a big blow to WISH-TV. I'm even more surprised that Tribune is going to spend money to create 2 separate news departments. I don't see what the problem would have been with having the same news reporters & anchors from WXIN doing news for WTTV/WTTK. Afterall, WXIN is Fox & their news is at 10pm, while WTTV/WTTK will be CBS, & the news would be at 11pm. WSBT-TV does 2 newscasts, the 10pm news on WSBT 22.2 to compete with WSJV, then they'd do the 11pm news on WSBT 22.1 with that being in HD. I could have seen a similar arrangement working WXIN & WTTV/WTTK. At least it isn't a complete simulcast that I remembered with LIN stations WOOD-TV (NBC) & WOTV (ABC for the southern part of the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo market) in the 11pm hour, when I stayed in the Douglas/Saugatuck area of Michigan a few years ago.

I'm waiting to see how WLFI is going to receive their CBS programming in the new year, with WISH-TV losing their CBS affiliation, unless it gets fed from Terre Haute or Fort Wayne.
post #6976 of 6987 Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Best article I've seen so far

http://www.indystar.com/story/entert...ox59/13893289/

I subscribe, so I'm not sure if it shows up for everybody.

Here are the parts I found interesting:

"Industry experts said the sticky issue of network reverse retransmission payments was behind the station switch. WISH's owner had been renegotiating its affiliation contract with CBS and was apparently unwilling to ante up the kind of affiliate payments that CBS demanded, according to several industry sources."Lin was kind of playing hardball on how much they were willing to pay and perhaps did not take seriously" CBS' demands, said Rick Gevers, an Indianapolis agent for on-air TV talent.
In the past, networks would pay local affiliates to broadcast their national programming. Instances of networks switching to another station were rare, Cochrun said.
But "we're now in a digital age where people are watching on demand in their own time. Those old models just don't have the same clout they used to," he said.
Networks are demanding that affiliates pay more for expensive national programming. The fees are coming out of increasing payments that affiliate stations receive from cable companies.
"They're asking for more money (from affiliates) every year," Smith said.
"They're fighting over pretty good revenue," said Kevin Finch, a former Indianapolis TV news director who teaches journalism at Washington & Lee University in Virginia.
He said he thinks CBS is using WISH as an example to other local TV stations of what might happen if they resist CBS' demands for higher reverse retransmission payments."

So my layman's assessment is that the networks are demanding payment for their programming, programming which the local franchises are (in essence) re-selling to the cable companies. Have I got that right?
Feel sorry for the day to day folks at WISH, not so sorry for their bosses, who apparently aren't very good poker players.
COZI TV, MeTV, ION, anyone?
post #6977 of 6987 Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A number of questions may not be answered right away, as there are issues which have not yet been resolved, or at least known by certain local TV employees. Other stations have had to deal with losing a network affiliation like WISH, and have managed to survive as independents or have been able to eventually secure another network affiliation. WTVW, Evansville and WFFT, Fort Wayne went through this issue not long ago, as both stations dropped their Fox affiliation and went independent. Eventually WTVW picked up the CW network and WFFT negotiated to once again air the Fox network.

This article gives a little more insight into the whole CBS move to WTTV issue, mostly dealing with dollars and cents.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/7...iation-to-wttv
post #6978 of 6987 Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post
A number of questions may not be answered right away, as there are issues which have not yet been resolved, or at least known by certain local TV employees. Other stations have had to deal with losing a network affiliation like WISH, and have managed to survive as independents or have been able to eventually secure another network affiliation. WTVW, Evansville and WFFT, Fort Wayne went through this issue not long ago, as both stations dropped their Fox affiliation and went independent. Eventually WTVW picked up the CW network and WFFT negotiated to once again air the Fox network.

This article gives a little more insight into the whole CBS move to WTTV issue, mostly dealing with dollars and cents.

GREAT article.
Thanks, Steve.
post #6979 of 6987 Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM

WISH situation

Has anyone heard more about the WISH/CBS shakeup? Specifically-

1-What about the rank and file workers (office/technical/clerical, etc.)? Any buyout packages? Is WTTV offering jobs to any of these people?

2-How about the on-air talent? Is LIN going to release them from their contracts so they don't have to pay them after 1/1/15? Or, can the on-air people buy out of their contracts? Have any of them been contacted by WTTV for positions for the news shows they have to start up in 3.5 months?

3-Aside from going to be an "independent" station, does anyone have any idea of what else they could do? It appears to me there are no networks they can join. And, any "niche" formats for broadcast appear (to me) to be already covered by the other stations, internet, etc..

4-How about the effect on WLFI (LaFayette)? As I understand the situation, 18 gets their network feed from 8. Also, I believe they have their promos done there (at 8). Where will 18 now get their network feed? What operation will cut their promos for them?

5-Would any other operation be interested in buying out WISH if the station has no programming to air? If so, for what reason?

6-Has any of the LIN management taken the blame for the colossal mess-up? If so, have any been terminated?
post #6980 of 6987 Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM

ditto above questions

post #6981 of 6987 Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I think with WISH might go with Univision or Telemundo. They have done this previously, even having A Spanish language local newscast. At the time, it was on the low power WIIH, but the possibility remains. Consider the current Latino population and businesses around Indy.

I would not rule this out.
post #6982 of 6987 Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 AM

I wondered if they wouldn't try to acquire the Fox affiliation.
post #6983 of 6987 Old 08-17-2014, 05:09 AM

I have no earthly idea, but it seems like quite a large footprint for a Spanish station.
I'm simply hoping that they can figure out a way to survive. I really like their news.
post #6984 of 6987 Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I have no earthly idea, but it seems like quite a large footprint for a Spanish station.
I'm simply hoping that they can figure out a way to survive. I really like their news.
I really like their early morning (0430-0700) weekday news. Scott Sanders, Lauren Lowery, Julie Patterson and Randy Ollis I think are just terrific. Also, their "on the scene" reporter (Jessica Hayes) also does a great job. The rest of their news people are ok, nothing more. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by Vidop; 08-17-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Additional comment
post #6985 of 6987 Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM

The lead story this morning on Inside Indiana Business was the WISH story. There wasn't much new, except that as of Thursday the station hadn't released any kind of statement on the situation, nor had management even addressed station employees.

It's hard to imagine how awful the morale must be there now...
post #6986 of 6987 Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierky View Post
I think with WISH might go with Univision or Telemundo. They have done this previously, even having A Spanish language local newscast. At the time, it was on the low power WIIH, but the possibility remains. Consider the current Latino population and businesses around Indy.

I would not rule this out.

Telemundo is already on WDNI-CD 19 (15 kW.), Indy. I don't believe the demo numbers would be sufficient to financially support two Spanish language TV stations in this market.

For the second year in a row, Univision was the number one network for the month of July, beating ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-18-34/289148/

Speaking of WIIH, now RF ch. 8 and virtual ch. 17.1, it is once again transmitting a signal that only a few select brands of TV tuners (Sony) will decode. Otherwise, the tuner indicates/sees a signal but will not decode any audio or video.
hoosierky likes this.
post #6987 of 6987 Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 AM

If any of the two networks has a chance of nailing a full power station, they will drop 19 fast! In a lot of markets, Telemundo/Univision are on full power stations.
This would suck for the employees at WISH, but LIN lately does not show the ability to utilize WISH to its fullest.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page