Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 238 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #7111 of 7117 Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyBull View Post
I live in Anderson on the west side and I can get all of the local channels with the exception of fox (59.1,.2,.3). My antenna is in the attic. All of the other channels seem to be pretty strong I just can't get fox 59. Any thoughts? Kind of weird considering channel 29 seems to be broadcasting from or close to the same location as 59.
I live on the west side of Anderson and have a large outdoor antenna. I get fox 59 great, but wttk 29 fades in and out, especially on the weekends. Just the opposite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7117 Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post
Yes, WXIN 59 and WTTK 29 share a combo antenna atop the WXIN tower. I'm not sure why you are having an issue receiving 59. I did forward your post to an engineer at the station and I'll be glad to post his reply.
Here's the reply from Rick Poling, the RF engineer for WTTV/WTTK/WXIN:

"Get the antenna out of the attic. He’s probably getting high-channel attenuation from his roofing materials.

If it’s an old antenna it’s possible the antenna has poor high-channel performance, or that he has high channel roll-off in his line or a bad splitter or bad amp. I’d check those things first, but if they’re OK then an outside antenna is the answer. And it probably doesn’t have to be huge either."
post #7113 of 7117 Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I live in Anderson on the west side and I can get all of the local channels with the exception of fox (59.1,.2,.3). My antenna is in the attic. All of the other channels seem to be pretty strong I just can't get fox 59. Any thoughts? Kind of weird considering channel 29 seems to be broadcasting from or close to the same location as 59.
I'm on the North side of Anderson, just West of 9 North, large Antenna (two grades weaker than a Channel Master fringe) at about 30 ft. No amp. Get everything with occasional issues on ION 63.1 .2 .3 .4 .5 & the 'old' WISH HD channels.

Chris C
post #7114 of 7117 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yes, WXIN 59 and WTTK 29 share a combo antenna atop the WXIN tower. I'm not sure why you are having an issue receiving 59. I did forward your post to an engineer at the station and I'll be glad to post his reply.

Welcome to AVS Forum.
Thanks!
post #7115 of 7117 Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

Thanks!
post #7116 of 7117 Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Here's the reply from Rick Poling, the RF engineer for WTTV/WTTK/WXIN:

"Get the antenna out of the attic. He’s probably getting high-channel attenuation from his roofing materials.

If it’s an old antenna it’s possible the antenna has poor high-channel performance, or that he has high channel roll-off in his line or a bad splitter or bad amp. I’d check those things first, but if they’re OK then an outside antenna is the answer. And it probably doesn’t have to be huge either."
Thanks for the info. I'll give those things a try.
post #7117 of 7117 Unread Today, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll give those things a try.
Another thought for you. If you have ever experimented with UHF reception, you already know how critical antenna placement can be. Moving the antenna even 2-3 inches can sometimes be the difference between a good and a bad signal, especially in an attic. I'm 5 miles from most of the TV towers and it is almost impossible for me to find the "sweet spot" for all channels. As a result, I use an outdoor antenna. I've also experimented with various antennas in an attic in Kokomo several years ago and found the same issue to be true. Even at a distance of 38 miles from the Indy antenna farm I had plenty of signal from the full-power stations but to get all of them antenna placement in the attic was super CRITICAL.

I'd suggest you try moving your current antenna to a few other positions in the attic to see if you can find a better spot for all of the stations. Even lifting it up a few inches or lowering it a few inches can sometimes make a huge difference. In Kokomo, I found that for most stations the higher I got the antenna in the attic (closer to the roofing materials) the lower the signal dropped. As Rick mentioned, the roofing materials can definitely attenuate high-channel UHF stations like WXIN, transmitting on channel 45, 656-662 MHz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page