Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 239 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2015, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UND Irish View Post
There are a couple stories out there about the WISH transition, I can't post links since I don't have enough forum posts. If you go to ibj.com and broadcastingcable.com you can find them.
Thanks for the info, UND Irish, and welcome to AVS Forum. I tried a search yesterday but nothing came up, including this informative article from the IBJ.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/51728-wi...tv-news-battle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
There are a couple stories out there about the WISH transition, I can't post links since I don't have enough forum posts. If you go to ibj.com and broadcastingcable.com you can find them.
Thanks for the links. Here is some info--

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blo...ir-wish/137855

Last edited by Vidop; 02-16-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: redundant link
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I notice a few markets that Daystar owns more than one station and for some reason the 2nd station has nothing on it (according to your site)
here in cincinnati Daystar operates a low power station on ch. 36. they have the hd channel on 36-1 and the exact same programming on 36-2 except its in standard definition. I think its a waste of precious bandwidth to have duplicate channels.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's another little bright spot for the staff at WISH-TV. In Tuesday night's national TV ratings, CW was in 5th place while NBC was in 6th place! Univision was 4th. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ect-up/364405/
Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post
here in cincinnati Daystar operates a low power station on ch. 36. they have the hd channel on 36-1 and the exact same programming on 36-2 except its in standard definition. I think its a waste of precious bandwidth to have duplicate channels.
It was worse when their only sub channel was SD!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post
It was worse when their only sub channel was SD!
pic does look better in hd. the only thing that aggravates me about daystar is their program guide always says (to be announced)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonfanatic View Post
the only thing that aggravates me about daystar is their program guide always says (to be announced)
Aren't they bound by FCC rules to send their programming 12 hours out in their stream? (Or something along those lines...)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
LPTV stations aren't covered by that rule, only full-power and Class A stations.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post
For several months I've noticed a strange audio issue from WTTV/WTTK with certain syndicated shows, like "The Big Bang Theory." I've noticed it with straight 2-channel stereo HDTVs and the CECBs, plus via my Dolby digital amplification setup via the OTA tuner and U-verse. Tonight's "The Big Bang Theory" from 7:30 - 8 p.m. was really bad.

Now to attempt to describe it. It's like multiple channels are mixing together and maybe one or more channels are out of phase. Or another way to attempt to describe it is that a volume limiter is not set correctly, where it is over-suppressing anything too loud but then not releasing or returning the volume back to its normal/average level. There is no uniformity to the level. I find it very difficult to listen to audio this way. It reminds me of some bad radio station limiters on an AM transmitter a number of years ago.
Per my previous post regarding the strange up and down audio levels on WTTV/WTTK, I noticed the same issue while watching the Ohio State/Michigan basketball game from CBS early Sunday afternoon. Am I the only one noticing this? I don't remember hearing this when CBS was on WISH. The next time I hear this from a CBS program on WTTV/WTTK I need to compare the audio from WLFI (CBS), Lafayette to see if it is noticeable there, too.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Per my previous post regarding the strange up and down audio levels on WTTV/WTTK, I noticed the same issue while watching the Ohio State/Michigan basketball game from CBS early Sunday afternoon. Am I the only one noticing this? I don't remember hearing this when CBS was on WISH. The next time I hear this from a CBS program on WTTV/WTTK I need to compare the audio from WLFI (CBS), Lafayette to see if it is noticeable there, too.
I have made contact over the past few weeks with an engineer at WTTV/WTTK regarding their audio. One of the staff engineers has confirmed that he too has heard the same issues I've been attempting to describe.

I've been watching/listening to the SMU vs UConn game on CBS this afternoon. I'm currently comparing the audio between WTTK and WLFI, Lafayette and the difference is like night vs. day. At times the announcers get troused by crowd noise and other audio sounds via WTTK that they are difficult to hear. On WLFI the announcer voices are much stronger and clearer. They don't get buried like on WTTK. The announcers sound so reduced and limited/suppressed on WTTK.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Americans are moving faster than ever away from traditional TV"

Apparently service companies like AT&T via U-verse are attempting to expedite this move. One of the main reasons I have a paid TV service is for sports, since these days you need a dozen channels in order to follow one team. And apparently AT&T doesn't know how to negotiate a new contract (per their commercials they should hire Mark Cuban) with Fox Sports Network. As a result, Butler basketball is not available tonight. Meanwhile, tons of channels I NEVER watch but PAY for are still on, like Jewelry Television. Paying more and more to watch programming with more and more and more and more commercials/promos is over the top. I recently tried to watch a show on TVLand only to be bombarded with a commercial break featuring SIXTEEN commercials/promos back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back.............................................. ..... The only way to watch channels like that is to use the DVR.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/b...raditional-tv/
GLBright and ccrider2 like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
"Americans are moving faster than ever away from traditional TV"

Apparently service companies like AT&T via U-verse are attempting to expedite this move. One of the main reasons I have a paid TV service is for sports, since these days you need a dozen channels in order to follow one team. And apparently AT&T doesn't know how to negotiate a new contract (per their commercials they should hire Mark Cuban) with Fox Sports Network. As a result, Butler basketball is not available tonight. Meanwhile, tons of channels I NEVER watch but PAY for are still on, like Jewelry Television. Paying more and more to watch programming with more and more and more and more commercials/promos is over the top. I recently tried to watch a show on TVLand only to be bombarded with a commercial break featuring SIXTEEN commercials/promos back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back.............................................. ..... The only way to watch channels like that is to use the DVR.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/b...raditional-tv/
Love my TiVo

Chris C
Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dumped wired TV over a year ago. Since I am gone for a few days at a day, and my wife is home, I have told her if she wants to back to wired, we will do that. Her reply, "NO! When there is nothing on TV, I k ow I am not paying $100+ per month for the privledge!"

We have Tivo Romano for DVR. We are happy. Love it when I go to Best Buy and a Direct TV guy comes up. I ask him if he can beat what I am paying. They haven't been able to yet!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 PM

I love my tivo also. I am too cheap to pay to watch tv. It is nice to come home and watch programs recorded since I dont watch prime time reality shows. most of the ota subchannels are better than the cable stations anyway. if nothing is on I watch utube thru the tivo.

Last edited by Balloonfanatic; 03-16-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One of the main reasons I have a paid TV service is for sports, since these days you need a dozen channels in order to follow one team.
"43% of U.S. adults said the reason they won't drop cable is because it is their only means of watching live sports."

It appears that might be changing later this year. At least this might be an alternative.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/apples-...163810274.html
Old 03-19-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
"43% of U.S. adults said the reason they won't drop cable is because it is their only means of watching live sports."

It appears that might be changing later this year. At least this might be an alternative.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/apples-...163810274.html
The cable TV folks and huge networks have positioned themselves very well to battle proposed internet channels.
Bowl games, NCAA tourney, etc. are scattered over bunches of different CATV/satellite channels, so if you want to follow a particular team, you have to have a premier package including all sorts of channels..
Obtaining ESPN or another network or two isn't going to solve the problems for a dedicated one-team fan.
Which is why I'm not as fired up about TV sports as I once was.
Local radio still carries most home teams wherever they go, and I'm finding that listening to Don Fisher and the Hoosiers on WHCC 105.1 is easier than chasing the Hoosers all over Xfinity.
GREED is about to run off some fans.
hoosierky likes this.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Professional sports are more available online, but college sports still are pretty difficult for cable cutters. I expect that to change long run.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9hzn View Post
Professional sports are more available online, but college sports still are pretty difficult for cable cutters. I expect that to change long run.
I suspect you're right. I could care less about pro sports, especially basketball.
I'm not certain people are going to chase teams through all of these technological changes/choices forever.
My age may be showing a little.
goldrich likes this.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WNDY adds 23.3

WNDY 23 adds 23.3. Looks to be a simulcast of 8.1. Maybe more people will able to see the CW.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc54 View Post
WNDY 23 adds 23.3. Looks to be a simulcast of 8.1. Maybe more people will able to see the CW.
It is 1080i, 16X9, this a first for Central indiana, two 1080i channels from one call sign.

Last edited by mrc54; 03-27-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After working in the audio business for a number of years, the audio of the CBS games of the NCAA men's basketball games on WTTV is stilling frustrating me. The announcer voices seem to be up and down almost constantly, depending on crowd noice, stadium horn noise along with other stadium noise factors. Comparing the audio on WTTV to games on TruTV, TBS and TNT, the cable channel audio levels are MUCH much more consistant and level. At times, the announcers almost or virtually get buried by other audio sounds on WTTV.
GLBright likes this.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is 1080i, 16X9, this a first for Central indiana, two 1080i channels from one call sign.
WOW, I just checked it out. I've seen several stations broadcasting one HD stream in 1080i and one HD stream in 720p, and even a few also adding a third stream in 480i, but this is a first with two HD streams in 1080i plus Bounce in 480i. So far, the PQ looks very good. Congrats to the engineers at WISH/WNDY! WTHR hasn't figured out how to do one HD stream in 1080i correctly.

ATTENTION Engineers at WTHR: Please contact the engineers at WISH/WNDY to learn how to do this.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Kentucky vs. Notre Dame Delivers TBS’ Highest-Rated and Most-Viewed Program Ever; Highest-Rated & Most-Viewed College Basketball Game in Cable Television History"

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-years/381327/

Broadcast TV (OTA TV) continues to pass on the BIG ones. No wonder ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC had to settle for these tiny ratings Saturday night. Give a viewer a compelling reason to turn the TV on, and it appears the TV gets turned on.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-rises/380848/
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
"Kentucky vs. Notre Dame Delivers TBS’ Highest-Rated and Most-Viewed Program Ever; Highest-Rated & Most-Viewed College Basketball Game in Cable Television History"

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-years/381327/

Broadcast TV (OTA TV) continues to pass on the BIG ones. No wonder ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC had to settle for these tiny ratings Saturday night. Give a viewer a compelling reason to turn the TV on, and it appears the TV gets turned on.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-rises/380848/
Sports have become the savior of cable TV.

Kind of sad college sports have become such a big business, but I guess that's for a different forum.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
There is a story on WISH-TV.com about the WISH simulcast on 23.3, only 3 more posts and I can post links.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
There is a story on WISH-TV.com about the WISH simulcast on 23.3, only 3 more posts and I can post links.
Hope you don't mind UND Irish, but I'll go ahead and post the link.

Wish other stations would take the time to inform their audiences on how to obtain their signal over the air.

I find their ability to send out 2 1080i signals very impressive.

http://wishtv.com/2015/03/31/you-can...-channel-23-3/
Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What a great weekend for NCAA basketball, Indianapolis and cable TV stations TBS, TNT and truTV.

"2015 NCAA Final Four National Semifinals Reach More Than 41 Million Total Viewers"

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...iewers/384971/

Meanwhile, the broadcast/terrestrial networks searched for crumbs and roadkill, and a few viewers. These ratings are laughable.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-down/384798/
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CBS reaps the rewards of the championship game of the Final Four from Indy:

"The National Championship game, which saw Duke defeat Wisconsin, averaged 28.3 million total viewers, up 33% from last year (21.3 million) and is the most-viewed NCAA title game in 18 years (28.4 million; Arizona/Kentucky in 1997). The Duke/Wisconsin game earned an average fast national household rating/share of 16.0/26, up 28% from last year’s 12.5/20."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29
Old 04-16-2015, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LAFF on WRTV

Quote:
E.W. Scripps Co. will launch LAFF on its stations in Detroit (WXYZ-TV), Phoenix (KNXV-TV), Tampa (WFTS-TV), Denver (KMGH-TV), Cleveland (WEWS-TV), Indianapolis (WRTV-TV), Baltimore (WMAR-TV), San Diego (KGTV-TV), Kansas City (KSHB-TV), Cincinnati (WCPO-TV), West Palm Beach (WPTV-TV), Buffalo (WKBW-TV) and Tulsa (KJRH-TV). The web site is laff.com. Looks like the replacement for LiveWell network.
LAFF is now on local Scripps station WRTV 6-3. It replaces LWN.
Old Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any TV sets/mfrs support PSIP? Or is this a lost cause?

Hi guys, I've been away for awhile. Just caught up on the last seven months of posts.

I'm wondering whether what I discovered several years back (that TV manufacturers weren't producing sets that accessed the PSIP data required to be in the HD OTA broadcast signal) has changed lately.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer that enables a viewer to bring up the electronic TV guide and use it to review programming that's upcoming - and to 'select' events for the tuner to tune to later in the evening, etc? Or are all the mfrs turning their backs on this feature of HDTV, at the behest of the subscription TV networks?

The reason I ask is that my second DTBH260F Samsung set-top box with PSIP has now bit the dust. I have greatly enjoyed this feature for most of the last decade and place high value on its service. But I'm unsure I'll ever find anything on the market to replace it/them.

Thanks for any info/thoughts/condolences...

Last edited by T Heller; Today at 03:00 PM.