Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 240 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #7171 of 7196 Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Heller View Post
Hi guys, I've been away for awhile. Just caught up on the last seven months of posts.

I'm wondering whether what I discovered several years back (that TV manufacturers weren't producing sets that accessed the PSIP data required to be in the HD OTA broadcast signal) has changed lately.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer that enables a viewer to bring up the electronic TV guide and use it to review programming that's upcoming - and to 'select' events for the tuner to tune to later in the evening, etc? Or are all the mfrs turning their backs on this feature of HDTV, at the behest of the subscription TV networks?

The reason I ask is that my second DTBH260F Samsung set-top box with PSIP has now bit the dust. I have greatly enjoyed this feature for most of the last decade and place high value on its service. But I'm unsure I'll ever find anything on the market to replace it/them.

Thanks for any info/thoughts/condolences...
Tom,

I haven't checked this site for several weeks, so as a result I just read your post. I understand your dilemma but I don't know how or where to direct you because I have not shopped for any DTV units for a few years.

I do have an extra RCA ATSC11, an HD STB from 2003. It does provide a very nice program guide for the upcoming 12 hours, but that is pretty much the limit as to what it will do. I'd pass it on to you for a few dollars plus shipping charges if you have any interest in it. Send me an IM if you have any questions/interest. Thanks.
T Heller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7196 Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd like to give a plug for a little TV repair shop on the west side named "Technical Service". It's a few blocks south of 38th Street and Lafayette Road in Indianapolis. I have a big, beautiful 67" Samsung LED DLP rear-projection TV set, and recently its black level has become more like a milky-gray level, and the screen was filled with dozens of white and black dots. I discovered online that I just needed to replace the DLP chip, and ShopJimmy has them for $180, if you know what to ask for.

Since I'm not that mechanically inclined, and since Samsung uses a variety of DLP chips even within the same model number of the TV (requiring 2 disassemblies - one to find out which chip, and the other to put the new chip in) I called around various TV repair shops in Indy. Most were in the $400-$500, $50 deposit, see-you-in-a-week standard fare, but Technical Service said they could do it for a flat $250 fee and I could have it back the same day.

To make a long story short, these guys are great. They brought my aging DLP back to life... they replaced the chip and cleaned it up inside and out, and this thing looks AMAZING now. And they got it done in just a few hours. Even with the cost of renting a U-Haul van for a day it was cheaper than all the other places I called.

Anyway - keep this place in mind. I know repairing a TV is pretty unusual these days when the prices for new sets are getting so low, but for this size of TV $250 was a bargain compared to replacement alternatives. And nothing beats DLP for picture quality, in my opinion!
goldrich likes this.
post #7173 of 7196 Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WTHR DISH Stanley Cup

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-out/28789685/

Antenna anybody?

I continue to wonder if local stations actually prefer folks thinking they need Dish or DirectTV to watch their programs, because they can then sell their signal to the satellite folks for more money.
GLBright likes this.
post #7174 of 7196 Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-out/28789685/

Antenna anybody?

I continue to wonder if local stations actually prefer folks thinking they need Dish or DirectTV to watch their programs, because they can then sell their signal to the satellite folks for more money.
They know we know they know....don't ya know???

Even the PSIP data is so parch, they know we tape this stuff so we can skip commercials, so they make it as difficult as possible. Oh well, it's free, so why do I complain? I often skip-back to pick up a commercial because it actually has something of interest to me....just in case someone is listening.

Chris C
post #7175 of 7196 Old 06-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else notice that WRTV now has a 6.4?
I can't get it to come in, but it is showing program information thru my TiVo Romano.
post #7176 of 7196 Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's called Escape and is geared towards women, from their website- "Escape is an all-new television network with movies and series that are daring, sexy and anchored in stories of crime and mystery."
post #7177 of 7196 Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierky View Post
Anyone else notice that WRTV now has a 6.4?
I can't get it to come in, but it is showing program information thru my TiVo Romano.
Likewise; signal, but no content.

Chris C
post #7178 of 7196 Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 PM

6.4 is now on the air.
post #7179 of 7196 Old 06-30-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Likewise; signal, but no content.
I first noticed it late yesterday afternoon when 6.4 was airing Escape with a movie featuring Cher and Dennis Quaid. This morning it is once again missing, as there is no content, A/V. I'm guessing that the engineering department is still tweaking the local setup, as the station's website program schedule does not yet include Escape. I am receiving sister (Scripps) station WCPO 22/9, Cincinnati, this morning, which is featuring Escape on 9.2.
post #7180 of 7196 Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Anyone seeing an encoder issue on channel 4, WTTS? About once per second the background shifts and pixilates, like what you would see on a bit-starved stream. I'm seeing this on DirecTV, as I can't get channel 4 OTA - channel 29-1 OTA is fine - so this could be a DirecTV issue instead.

It was fine over the weekend watching golf, etc..
post #7181 of 7196 Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post
Anyone seeing an encoder issue on channel 4, WTTS? About once per second the background shifts and pixilates, like what you would see on a bit-starved stream. I'm seeing this on DirecTV, as I can't get channel 4 OTA - channel 29-1 OTA is fine - so this could be a DirecTV issue instead.

It was fine over the weekend watching golf, etc..
OTA only....Here at this time both are good, but I can't say always, as I don't frequent those channels.

Chris C
post #7182 of 7196 Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 PM

23-3 bit starved?

Channel 23 recently started broadcasting three digital signals.
23-1 MY-WNDY (hi-def)
23-2 Bounce (standard-def)
23-3 WISH-TV (hi-def)

I have an HD Home Run Prime. It is an OTA tuner that sends out a home network signal to be seen by programs such as Window Media Center (on computers on my home network).

Monitoring the data rate, it is clear to me that WISH-TV coming in through 23-3 has roughly half the data rate of WISH-TV coming in through 8-1.

Not sure this is very scientific, but I think it may well point out the problems with trying to cram too much digital data into one channel's worth of bandwidth.

I THINK I can see a difference in the two pictures from time to time while moving back and forth between the two channels (WISH 8.1 and WISH 23-3)
post #7183 of 7196 Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What resolution are they running on 23-3? I know the latest gen of encoders is a lot more advanced than what stations had during the digital transition, but running two 1080i streams and a 480i stream (assuming MPEG2, of course) still seems far fetched. 8-1 (and thus 23-3) is almost certainly in 1080i, but I could see running 23-1 at a lower resolution. (For a MyNetworkTV affiliate, I suppose what really matters in deciding bandwidth to allocate is the line up of sports and syndicated content, it's not like you're going to get higher viewership numbers for running reruns of Criminal Minds in 1080i than in 720p. Unless you're running something in the off hours or as a preemption that needs it, like sports, a MyNetworkTV stream is a pretty low priority for bandwidth. Actually, assuming WISH has modern equipment, they should be able to modify bandwidth, though not resolution, on the fly automatically.)
post #7184 of 7196 Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9hzn View Post
What resolution are they running on 23-3? I know the latest gen of encoders is a lot more advanced than what stations had during the digital transition, but running two 1080i streams and a 480i stream (assuming MPEG2, of course) still seems far fetched. 8-1 (and thus 23-3) is almost certainly in 1080i, but I could see running 23-1 at a lower resolution. (For a MyNetworkTV affiliate, I suppose what really matters in deciding bandwidth to allocate is the line up of sports and syndicated content, it's not like you're going to get higher viewership numbers for running reruns of Criminal Minds in 1080i than in 720p. Unless you're running something in the off hours or as a preemption that needs it, like sports, a MyNetworkTV stream is a pretty low priority for bandwidth. Actually, assuming WISH has modern equipment, they should be able to modify bandwidth, though not resolution, on the fly automatically.)
My Samsung television reports that 23-1 is 1080i, 23-2 is 480i, and 23-3 is also 1080i.
That's why I find it so interesting that 23-3 shows about half the amount of data (when compared to the same program on 8-1) coming out of my OTA--->network tuner.
For what little it's worth, my old eyes tend to agree with the resolution figures given by the TV.
It will be interesting to watch football or some other fast-moving picture and compare the end result of the two streams.
post #7185 of 7196 Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Samsung television reports that 23-1 is 1080i, 23-2 is 480i, and 23-3 is also 1080i.
That's why I find it so interesting that 23-3 shows about half the amount of data (when compared to the same program on 8-1) coming out of my OTA--->network tuner.
For what little it's worth, my old eyes tend to agree with the resolution figures given by the TV.
It will be interesting to watch football or some other fast-moving picture and compare the end result of the two streams.
Nat, let your eyes observe the fast-motion pixelation mess that I'm sure will cover your HDTV screen tonight with NFL preseason football from NBC on our leading bit-starved station, WTHR. Since we've been talking about this for years and years at this site, I have no reason to believe that it will be any different tonight.

Check out these pics I posted last October and see if you don't see virtually the same thing tonight.
Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV

Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV

Too bad WISH is not broadcasting NFL games on a regular basis these days, as WISH did a good job of processing 1080i HD.
post #7186 of 7196 Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 AM

Did anyone watch? I was at a bar and they had it on a large screen, but it was so far away that I couldn't really tell if it was the same ol' same ol' or better this year...
post #7187 of 7196 Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did anyone watch? I was at a bar and they had it on a large screen, but it was so far away that I couldn't really tell if it was the same ol' same ol' or better this year...

Really fuzzy on motion; like looking at a 'checkerboard'.

Chris C
post #7188 of 7196 Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Same old same old, as bad as I remember it.
Amazingly bad switching when switching to a new scene, where it started out like my old Atari graphics, then over what seemed like minutes, it finally sharpened up to HD standards.
In 2015 they should be ashamed.
post #7189 of 7196 Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Same old same old, as bad as I remember it.
Amazingly bad switching when switching to a new scene, where it started out like my old Atari graphics, then over what seemed like minutes, it finally sharpened up to HD standards.
In 2015 they should be ashamed.
I just blasted them with a bunch of tweets quoting from the forum. Search Twitter for @wth rcom... maybe public shaming will help?
post #7190 of 7196 Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I just blasted them with a bunch of tweets quoting from the forum. Search Twitter for @wth rcom... maybe public shaming will help?
That's "at-sign wthrcom" - it got munged by the forum.
post #7191 of 7196 Old 08-11-2015, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A TV engineer at another NBC affiliate station read my post above (which included the comparison pics between WTHR and WISH) and had this to say:

" Yes, we're looking at compression artifacts and they are indeed worse on WTHR.

It's strange. According to the rabbitears capture, WTHR is running statistical multiplexing which implies a decently recent encoder & the ability to move bandwidth from 13.2/13.3 to 13.1 when it needs it. (and vice-versa)

Configured poorly? Losing bits in the studio-transmitter link? Hard to say."
post #7192 of 7196 Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 AM

Maybe that engineer would have better luck communicating with old Al at WTHR engineering, our at least not get dismissed outright without actually checking anything!
post #7193 of 7196 Old 08-12-2015, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Indy's last analog station, WBXI-CA 47, left the air for a few hours and then returned to the air this evening as WBXI-CD 47, now in digital. The station transmits from the top of the Chase Bank tower downtown with most of the 7.8 kW power aimed north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WBXI CD ID.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	883106   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBXI CD 47 aug 12 2015.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	883114  
ccrider2 likes this.
post #7194 of 7196 Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierky View Post
I dumped wired TV over a year ago. Since I am gone for a few days at a day, and my wife is home, I have told her if she wants to back to wired, we will do that. Her reply, "NO! When there is nothing on TV, I k ow I am not paying $100+ per month for the privledge!"

We have Tivo Romano for DVR. We are happy. Love it when I go to Best Buy and a Direct TV guy comes up. I ask him if he can beat what I am paying. They haven't been able to yet!
I'm doing the same. I've not watched the Dish service for a week and trying to just use the Tivo only with the outside antenna. So far, not missing anything on Dish. I can use HBO or Showtime without Dish now and I have Netflix and Hulu Plus.
post #7195 of 7196 Old 08-18-2015, 04:49 PM

I am getting readings for 32.4 and 32.5. The only content I am getting is Bounce TV on 32.5. Anyone else getting this? I am running OTA from Plainfield using TiVo Romano for a DVR.
post #7196 of 7196 Old Today, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Even while watching Sunday Night Football from WTHR on a new LG OLED HDTV it still looks like crap. Year after year after year after year after year after year after year it looks the same. WTHR never changes. Please update to 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception