Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #7291 of 7308 Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
I was able to tune WUDZ in tonight, but it's right on the "ragged edge" for me.
My new cheap RCA antenna pre-amp (tvpramp1r) has drastically improved my reception of RF 32 (WNDY 23 out of Marion IN), and I doubt I would be able to receive WUDZ with my old Winegard preamp.
Low noise preamps are the key it would seem.
I live in northwestern Bartholomew County (maybe 40 miles south of downtown Indy). I don't have any way of receiving digital OTA channels now and really am just interested in getting Buzzr. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how limited the signal is. So what equipment (if any) would pick up this channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7308 Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnlete View Post
I live in northwestern Bartholomew County (maybe 40 miles south of downtown Indy). I don't have any way of receiving digital OTA channels now and really am just interested in getting Buzzr. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how limited the signal is. So what equipment (if any) would pick up this channel?
Buzzr from Indy is a VERY low power station (7.5Kw). I only receive it from time to time (usually in the evening). I have a 25 foot tower, an old-school Winegard VHF-UHF antenna (it was the best one they made in its day), followed by an RCA pre-amp (TVPRAMP1R).
I hate to be a pessimist, but I think you'll have trouble receiving WUDZ-LD(28-1001) on a regular basis.
The following website will give you some idea of your chances.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...id=13&Itemid=1

Good luck. ( I'm afraid you'll need it! )

post #7293 of 7308 Old 07-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierky View Post
I have question regarding WUDZ-LD.
They are licensed to Terre Haute, their transmitter is located in Danville IN with only 7.5kw of power.
WUDZ-LD filed another request to move its transmitter site and it was approved. The station transmits from the WHMB tower on the northwest side of Indy.
post #7294 of 7308 Old 08-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone else seeing very frequent picture breakups and audio dropouts on channel 13's Olympics coverage? It's worst on DirecTV but also present OTA through my DirecTV AM21. Seeing the same thing on channel 4 via satellite.

Kind of seems like it could be a hardware issue but I don't see it on any purely satellite channels else like ESPN or HBO.

I can barely stand watching the Olympics between this non-stop issue and WTHR's sh!@@y every day PQ.
goldrich2 likes this.
post #7295 of 7308 Old 08-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I was able to tune WUDZ in tonight, but it's right on the "ragged edge" for me.
My new cheap RCA antenna pre-amp (tvpramp1r) has drastically improved my reception of RF 32 (WNDY 23 out of Marion IN), and I doubt I would be able to receive WUDZ with my old Winegard preamp.
Low noise preamps are the key it would seem.
Thanks for the comments on newer, low-noise pre-amps, Nat. You've stimulated some thinking.

Not that I want to return to my adventures of about 9 years ago setting my stuff up while learning from a near-zero knowledge base, but I just purchased a new TV (Samsung 6200 series) and might try to ensure I'm getting all I can from it.

With the previous TV, I'd gotten to the point (and maybe season) where I can receive all the stations I really ever watch without having to adjust the antenna's rotator. Not quite with this new Samsung, but that may be result of older Winegard pre-amp with my CM 4228. So I might engage in some tweaking.

btw - I was overjoyed to discover this Samsung provides EPG/PSIP info. Now I can toss the old but venerable Samsung STB I'd relied upon for almost a decade (until it gave up the ghost almost a year ago).
post #7296 of 7308 Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Heller View Post
Thanks for the comments on newer, low-noise pre-amps, Nat. You've stimulated some thinking.

Not that I want to return to my adventures of about 9 years ago setting my stuff up while learning from a near-zero knowledge base, but I just purchased a new TV (Samsung 6200 series) and might try to ensure I'm getting all I can from it.

With the previous TV, I'd gotten to the point (and maybe season) where I can receive all the stations I really ever watch without having to adjust the antenna's rotator. Not quite with this new Samsung, but that may be result of older Winegard pre-amp with my CM 4228. So I might engage in some tweaking.

btw - I was overjoyed to discover this Samsung provides EPG/PSIP info. Now I can toss the old but venerable Samsung STB I'd relied upon for almost a decade (until it gave up the ghost almost a year ago).
678 page user manual?
It SHOULD have EPG/PSIP info.
How is your picture quality? Seems like a lot of TV for the money.
Glad to hear you're happy with it.
I'll bet you hook that dude up with a low-noise amp and you'll be amazed at what it can do with over-the-air reception.
Well, until ATSC 3.0 comes along and bricks it (as far as over the air is concerned)!
post #7297 of 7308 Old 08-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nat, WRAL, Raleigh, NC is now airing ATSC 3.0, UHD/4K with an experimental setup, the first station in the country to do so. And an Indiana company helped with getting it on the air.

Locally, we're stuck with WTHR................as pointed out above by IndyJeff.
post #7298 of 7308 Old 08-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That picture breakup/audio dropout issue seems to have resolved itself. I was in Fort Wayne for a few days last week and their NBC affiliate's picture quality is artifact-free. I can't believe that the "engineers" at WTHR can't see how crappy their own picture is.
post #7299 of 7308 Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Terre Haute got the 4 Katz networks yesterday (2 each on NBC 2 and ABC 38)
post #7300 of 7308 Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
678 page user manual?
It SHOULD have EPG/PSIP info.
How is your picture quality? Seems like a lot of TV for the money.
Glad to hear you're happy with it.
I'll bet you hook that dude up with a low-noise amp and you'll be amazed at what it can do with over-the-air reception.
Well, until ATSC 3.0 comes along and bricks it (as far as over the air is concerned)!

Re: EPG/PSIP, the Samsung 6200 set I settled for was the *4th* set I tried, each schlepped between BestBuy and home to mount on the wall (each set also had different gauge mounting bolts, too, causing even more trips to Menards.) Neither of the two Sonys I first tried had EPG/PSIP but instead required an *internet connection* to access & present an on-screen program guide!! (The Sonys also tipped me off to the absence of EPG when I had to manually enter the time in setup. Clock data is in the EPG/PSIP data stream.)

PQ on the Samsung is very good, tho' maybe not quite to what I witnessed however briefly on the Sony 4KUHD set I first tried. (I didn't seek 4K but at BB it seemed the only ~40" set that provided a guide. It responded in the store to the remote's Guide button but was unable to bring up the guide because it was only hooked to the instore signal and could not scan OTA channels. Got it home, went thru setup and then discovered it wanted an internet connection. No deal.)

Will be curious how introducing a low-noise amp boosts reception. Thanks for your earlier post on that.
post #7301 of 7308 Old 08-25-2016, 06:07 PM

"Neither of the two Sonys I first tried had EPG/PSIP but instead required an *internet connection* to access & present an on-screen program guide!!"

"could not scan OTA channels. Got it home, went thru setup and then discovered it wanted an internet connection. No deal.)
That is unbelievable to me."

Wow. Unbelievable to me also. What are they thinking? How much could that cost Sony? I have TVs that cost under a hundred bucks that scan OTA channels. Unreal.

Good luck on the low noise amp!
post #7302 of 7308 Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgive the basic question. According to tv fool, I'm about 20 miles SE of WTHR. I have a two story home with a basement. I have rabbit ears and a tv. If I take the rabbit ears and tv to the second story, I get pretty much all the "blue" channels on tv fool including WTHR. If I take the setup to the basement, reception is much spottier (as expected). It's basically limited to WRTV and WTHR.

I've also run coax from the upstairs to the basement. With the rabbit ears upstairs and the tv in the basement, I get many of the "blue" channels with a signal strength >50% and a signal quality >= 90%. However, a couple of channels like WISH and WTHR do not tune at all, with values of 0% and 0%. The channels I'm not able to tune with this configuration are further away. To me, that seems like some sort of reception/antenna problem. But since I know I'm receiving those channels well upstairs, is the signal just "leaking" due to the long coax run? Do I need some sort of signal amplifier? If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you!
post #7303 of 7308 Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJ View Post
Forgive the basic question. According to tv fool, I'm about 20 miles SE of WTHR. I have a two story home with a basement. I have rabbit ears and a tv. If I take the rabbit ears and tv to the second story, I get pretty much all the "blue" channels on tv fool including WTHR. If I take the setup to the basement, reception is much spottier (as expected). It's basically limited to WRTV and WTHR.

I've also run coax from the upstairs to the basement. With the rabbit ears upstairs and the tv in the basement, I get many of the "blue" channels with a signal strength >50% and a signal quality >= 90%. However, a couple of channels like WISH and WTHR do not tune at all, with values of 0% and 0%. The channels I'm not able to tune with this configuration are further away. To me, that seems like some sort of reception/antenna problem. But since I know I'm receiving those channels well upstairs, is the signal just "leaking" due to the long coax run? Do I need some sort of signal amplifier? If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you!
Not quite sure how you're splitting the signal to send it to the basement, since the few rabbit-ears I've seen are 300 ohm, and splitters/coax are generally based on 75 ohms.
If you've got that all done properly, I would say a high-quality low-noise amp should make your set-up work.
You're working with really low-level signals from the rabbit ears, and a better indoor antenna (some are amplified and output 75 ohms) might better solve all of your problems. I've had really good luck with this amplified Terk. They're not much bigger than your rabbit ears. You can often pick one off of Ebay cheap. Make sure and get the amplified version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terk indoor antenna picture.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1633449  
post #7304 of 7308 Old 08-31-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Thank you!
Oh, don't forget to use a high quality two way splitter.
post #7305 of 7308 Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
nathill - Thanks for the good information! I was not aware of the resistance differences I may be dealing with. Neither the antenna nor the splitter list it on them. (They are just parts from my parts bin that I've collected over a couple decades. ) It sounds like my next step is to buy that antenna plus the 75 ohm splitter to see what kind of improvement I can get.
post #7306 of 7308 Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
nathill - Thanks for the good information! I was not aware of the resistance differences I may be dealing with. Neither the antenna nor the splitter list it on them. (They are just parts from my parts bin that I've collected over a couple decades. ) It sounds like my next step is to buy that antenna plus the 75 ohm splitter to see what kind of improvement I can get.
I may have made too much out of the 75 vrs 300 ohm deal.
Twin-lead (the old flat stuff, with 2 small wires equal distance apart)) is 300 ohm.
Coax (round cable with an interior wire, then foam, then shielding) is 75 ohm.
I know that going from 300 to 75 involves quite a bit of signal loss (at least at rabbit-ear levels).
If your rabbit ears output coax, it's not such a big deal I guess.

Good luck, and let us know how you get along.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I always have an opinion!
post #7307 of 7308 Old 09-02-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just a minor addition. The gadget to convert 300 ohm to 75 is called a balun or balance transformer. If your rabbit ears have twin lead you'll need one.

A splitter takes a signal and splits it into 2 with a loss of 3.5 dB for say 2 TVs.

This kind of stuff can be found at Radio Shack etc.

As you've found with OTA altitude is your friend for the antenna. The attic will likely be better and a tower better yet.

Les

Les
post #7308 of 7308 Old 09-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Several years ago I used a website that listed the primary OTA channels, their subchannels and how much they were leaching power-wise from the primary channel. Now I can't remember what that website was. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm watching the LSU-Wisconsin game right now and looks horrible. It's generally the worst for me among the major broadcast networks. I have no trouble receiving anything, as I'm just on the NE side of Indy. It's simply a picture quality issue for me. The CBS game is lightyears better in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page