Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #7291 of 7301 Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
I was able to tune WUDZ in tonight, but it's right on the "ragged edge" for me.
My new cheap RCA antenna pre-amp (tvpramp1r) has drastically improved my reception of RF 32 (WNDY 23 out of Marion IN), and I doubt I would be able to receive WUDZ with my old Winegard preamp.
Low noise preamps are the key it would seem.
I live in northwestern Bartholomew County (maybe 40 miles south of downtown Indy). I don't have any way of receiving digital OTA channels now and really am just interested in getting Buzzr. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how limited the signal is. So what equipment (if any) would pick up this channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7301 Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnlete View Post
I live in northwestern Bartholomew County (maybe 40 miles south of downtown Indy). I don't have any way of receiving digital OTA channels now and really am just interested in getting Buzzr. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how limited the signal is. So what equipment (if any) would pick up this channel?
Buzzr from Indy is a VERY low power station (7.5Kw). I only receive it from time to time (usually in the evening). I have a 25 foot tower, an old-school Winegard VHF-UHF antenna (it was the best one they made in its day), followed by an RCA pre-amp (TVPRAMP1R).
I hate to be a pessimist, but I think you'll have trouble receiving WUDZ-LD(28-1001) on a regular basis.
The following website will give you some idea of your chances.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...id=13&Itemid=1

Good luck. ( I'm afraid you'll need it! )

post #7293 of 7301 Old 07-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierky View Post
I have question regarding WUDZ-LD.
They are licensed to Terre Haute, their transmitter is located in Danville IN with only 7.5kw of power.
WUDZ-LD filed another request to move its transmitter site and it was approved. The station transmits from the WHMB tower on the northwest side of Indy.
post #7294 of 7301 Old 08-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone else seeing very frequent picture breakups and audio dropouts on channel 13's Olympics coverage? It's worst on DirecTV but also present OTA through my DirecTV AM21. Seeing the same thing on channel 4 via satellite.

Kind of seems like it could be a hardware issue but I don't see it on any purely satellite channels else like ESPN or HBO.

I can barely stand watching the Olympics between this non-stop issue and WTHR's sh!@@y every day PQ.
goldrich2 likes this.
post #7295 of 7301 Old 08-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I was able to tune WUDZ in tonight, but it's right on the "ragged edge" for me.
My new cheap RCA antenna pre-amp (tvpramp1r) has drastically improved my reception of RF 32 (WNDY 23 out of Marion IN), and I doubt I would be able to receive WUDZ with my old Winegard preamp.
Low noise preamps are the key it would seem.
Thanks for the comments on newer, low-noise pre-amps, Nat. You've stimulated some thinking.

Not that I want to return to my adventures of about 9 years ago setting my stuff up while learning from a near-zero knowledge base, but I just purchased a new TV (Samsung 6200 series) and might try to ensure I'm getting all I can from it.

With the previous TV, I'd gotten to the point (and maybe season) where I can receive all the stations I really ever watch without having to adjust the antenna's rotator. Not quite with this new Samsung, but that may be result of older Winegard pre-amp with my CM 4228. So I might engage in some tweaking.

btw - I was overjoyed to discover this Samsung provides EPG/PSIP info. Now I can toss the old but venerable Samsung STB I'd relied upon for almost a decade (until it gave up the ghost almost a year ago).
post #7296 of 7301 Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Heller View Post
Thanks for the comments on newer, low-noise pre-amps, Nat. You've stimulated some thinking.

Not that I want to return to my adventures of about 9 years ago setting my stuff up while learning from a near-zero knowledge base, but I just purchased a new TV (Samsung 6200 series) and might try to ensure I'm getting all I can from it.

With the previous TV, I'd gotten to the point (and maybe season) where I can receive all the stations I really ever watch without having to adjust the antenna's rotator. Not quite with this new Samsung, but that may be result of older Winegard pre-amp with my CM 4228. So I might engage in some tweaking.

btw - I was overjoyed to discover this Samsung provides EPG/PSIP info. Now I can toss the old but venerable Samsung STB I'd relied upon for almost a decade (until it gave up the ghost almost a year ago).
678 page user manual?
It SHOULD have EPG/PSIP info.
How is your picture quality? Seems like a lot of TV for the money.
Glad to hear you're happy with it.
I'll bet you hook that dude up with a low-noise amp and you'll be amazed at what it can do with over-the-air reception.
Well, until ATSC 3.0 comes along and bricks it (as far as over the air is concerned)!
post #7297 of 7301 Old 08-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nat, WRAL, Raleigh, NC is now airing ATSC 3.0, UHD/4K with an experimental setup, the first station in the country to do so. And an Indiana company helped with getting it on the air.

Locally, we're stuck with WTHR................as pointed out above by IndyJeff.
post #7298 of 7301 Old 08-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That picture breakup/audio dropout issue seems to have resolved itself. I was in Fort Wayne for a few days last week and their NBC affiliate's picture quality is artifact-free. I can't believe that the "engineers" at WTHR can't see how crappy their own picture is.
post #7299 of 7301 Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Terre Haute got the 4 Katz networks yesterday (2 each on NBC 2 and ABC 38)
post #7300 of 7301 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
678 page user manual?
It SHOULD have EPG/PSIP info.
How is your picture quality? Seems like a lot of TV for the money.
Glad to hear you're happy with it.
I'll bet you hook that dude up with a low-noise amp and you'll be amazed at what it can do with over-the-air reception.
Well, until ATSC 3.0 comes along and bricks it (as far as over the air is concerned)!

Re: EPG/PSIP, the Samsung 6200 set I settled for was the *4th* set I tried, each schlepped between BestBuy and home to mount on the wall (each set also had different gauge mounting bolts, too, causing even more trips to Menards.) Neither of the two Sonys I first tried had EPG/PSIP but instead required an *internet connection* to access & present an on-screen program guide!! (The Sonys also tipped me off to the absence of EPG when I had to manually enter the time in setup. Clock data is in the EPG/PSIP data stream.)

PQ on the Samsung is very good, tho' maybe not quite to what I witnessed however briefly on the Sony 4KUHD set I first tried. (I didn't seek 4K but at BB it seemed the only ~40" set that provided a guide. It responded in the store to the remote's Guide button but was unable to bring up the guide because it was only hooked to the instore signal and could not scan OTA channels. Got it home, went thru setup and then discovered it wanted an internet connection. No deal.)

Will be curious how introducing a low-noise amp boosts reception. Thanks for your earlier post on that.
post #7301 of 7301 Old Today, 06:07 PM

"Neither of the two Sonys I first tried had EPG/PSIP but instead required an *internet connection* to access & present an on-screen program guide!!"

"could not scan OTA channels. Got it home, went thru setup and then discovered it wanted an internet connection. No deal.)
That is unbelievable to me."

Wow. Unbelievable to me also. What are they thinking? How much could that cost Sony? I have TVs that cost under a hundred bucks that scan OTA channels. Unreal.

Good luck on the low noise amp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception