Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #7351 of 7369 Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7369 Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 94
NBC in LaFayette?

I've heard a few rumors that there is to be a new station in LaFayette carrying NBC programming. Last year, a new station (WPBI) on 16.1/.2 started up carrying FOX on .1 and ABC on .2. Has anybody else heard anything about an NBC outlet? Or, have what I heard just truly rumors? Thanks for any info.
post #7353 of 7369 Old 04-27-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I've heard a few rumors that there is to be a new station in LaFayette carrying NBC programming. Last year, a new station (WPBI) on 16.1/.2 started up carrying FOX on .1 and ABC on .2. Has anybody else heard anything about an NBC outlet? Or, have what I heard just truly rumors? Thanks for any info.
I thought it was NBC on the -2 and not ABC? Thats what rabbitears and zap2it shows

post #7354 of 7369 Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Their own website says it's NBC. http://starcitybroadcasting.com/

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7355 of 7369 Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I thought it was NBC on the -2 and not ABC? Thats what rabbitears and zap2it shows
DUH!!! (Slapping forehead). I transposed the two networks in my feeble brain. Thanks for catching this. And, BTW, are there any rumors about a third station in LaFayette? Or, as I questioned, is it merely a rumor? Once again, thanks!
post #7356 of 7369 Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've never heard of anything in regards to an ABC affiliate in Lafayette
post #7357 of 7369 Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Anyone here have any contacts with WRTV and/or IMS about the potential for the (ridiculous) Indy 500 blackout to be lifted again this year? Not that WRTV would have any say, but they would be among the first to know.
post #7358 of 7369 Old 05-27-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've never heard of anything in regards to an ABC affiliate in Lafayette
Lafayette getting ABC soon

Lafayette to become a full market with ABC addition
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...filiate/166108

Lafayette, Ind.-based Star City Broadcasting is launching the market’s first local ABC affiliate—the group’s third new station in less than a year.

WPBY, branded ABC 49, will light up July 1 with the network’s full slate of programming, in addition to local newscasts, ABC said.

In October 2016, Star City launched the market’s first Fox affiliate, WPBI-LD, a digital low-powered station, and an NBC affiliate, WPBI-LD2, on its subchannel.

I assume they will use RF49 but I dont see anything with the FCC for either WPBY-CD or a RF49 assigned to Lafayette. Also next year they will have to file for a new station as you know RF36 will be the highest RF station in a couple years.
post #7359 of 7369 Old 05-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lafayette getting ABC soon

Lafayette to become a full market with ABC addition
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...filiate/166108

Lafayette, Ind.-based Star City Broadcasting is launching the market’s first local ABC affiliate—the group’s third new station in less than a year.

WPBY, branded ABC 49, will light up July 1 with the network’s full slate of programming, in addition to local newscasts, ABC said.

In October 2016, Star City launched the market’s first Fox affiliate, WPBI-LD, a digital low-powered station, and an NBC affiliate, WPBI-LD2, on its subchannel.

I assume they will use RF49 but I dont see anything with the FCC for either WPBY-CD or a RF49 assigned to Lafayette. Also next year they will have to file for a new station as you know RF36 will be the highest RF station in a couple years.
Thanks for the info! I had asked about a month ago (post 7352--I misstated the network in the posting) about a rumor I had heard about another new station. And-the info (you mentioned) says it will also have LOCAL newscasts! WLFI (18/CBS) certainly has some competition now. As you mentioned--I can't find any info about the channel #49. Whether that is the "real" channel or the "virtual" channel. Also--as you mentioned, it seems strange that since it isn't "lit up" yet, why they are picking channel 49, since in the near future, RF 36 will be the top channel allowed. Perhaps "49" is the "virtual" channel instead of the "real" channel. We will find out soon.

Last edited by Vidop; 05-27-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7360 of 7369 Old 05-27-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Thanks for the info! I had asked about a month ago (post 7352--I misstated the network in the posting) about a rumor I had heard about another new station. And-the info (you mentioned) says it will also have LOCAL newscasts!
Looking at zap2it/screener starting Monday WPBI will have news.

6 & 11 on NBC and 10pm on FOX
post #7361 of 7369 Old 05-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looking at zap2it/screener starting Monday WPBI will have news.

6 & 11 on NBC and 10pm on FOX
I had heard (some time ago) that WPBI was going to have news. But, at the time, they didn't give a starting date. Thanks for the info! Let's see how well their local news coverage works compared to 18 (WLFI).
post #7362 of 7369 Old 05-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

I watched the 6:00 news on 16.2 last evening. In my non-professional opinion, it was just OK. Nothing impressive. The news segments contained only one local story. It was concerning the LaFayette Memorial Day celebration. The rest of their news was national headlines. The weather and sports segments were as expected. So, at least for now, 18 (WLFI) has nothing to worry about for competition for local news coverage. Maybe once "Star City" (WPBI) gets settled in, the news coverage will improve. Once again--these are just my opinions.
post #7363 of 7369 Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Word from the J&C that newscasts are outsourced from a service in Little Rock AR.
post #7364 of 7369 Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

article
http://www.jconline.com/story/money/...ate/102307748/

Star City Broadcasting, a new media company, recently aired its first newscast. The inaugural newscast ran on Monday.
Star City Broadcasting owns television channels WPBI NBC 16 and WPBI Fox 16 in addition to four radio stations. The new media company also recently announced it will launch a local ABC affiliate. When established, WPBI’s newscast will run on that station as well.

The newscast covers events in the Greater Lafayette market. Chris Morisse Vizza will serve as the station’s news director. She has worked as a journalist within Greater Lafayette for more than 25 years.

"I am excited to be part of the Star City News startup and to have this opportunity to provide in-depth perspective on the issues, events and decisions that affect people in the Greater Lafayette area," Vizza said.

Sarah Blakely, a 2012 graduate of Purdue University, will serve as anchor. She will host the broadcast out of a studio in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Tom Comerford, WPBI’s general manager, said the broadcast is filling a necessary hole in the local market in terms of news coverage. He added that as Lafayette grows it makes more sense to have local network affiliates, instead of those out of Indianapolis.

“Lafayette is growing up; it’s time for it to have its own affiliates,” Comerford said.

For a town the size of Lafayette, he continued, there is no reason to have Indianapolis affiliates running programming locally.

“No one in Indianapolis ever cared about Lafayette unless something really bad happened there,” Comerford said, who previously worked in Indianapolis.

As far as coverage of sporting events goes, Comerford said that is largely up to the networks. During football season CBS tends to air Indianapolis Colts games, while Fox airs Chicago Bears games.

Coverage of away games will depend on what the networks elect to broadcast, but that has always been the case, Comerford continued.

“We would lean towards having Bears and Colts games when we can get them. We try to have as much influence on it as possible,” he said.

Local, live coverage of the Indy 500 might also be possible in the future.

“The race will be on ABC. … My gut is telling me it could still be blacked out. We will fight to have it live,” Comerford said.

The manager added that the local ABC channel will launch sometime in July, at which point the Indianapolis station carrying ABC will likely disappear, just as the Fox station has. Although some cable providers still carry both the Lafayette and Indianapolis NBC affiliates, Comerford said this will likely change soon.

The focus right now for WPBI is growing their newscast, getting more reporters on the ground and attracting more local advertisers.

Star City Broadcasting is still in negotiations with DirecTV, as the cable provider has not yet picked up the affiliates.

“We’re growing, little by little,” Comerford said. “We’re kind of the new kid in town.”
post #7365 of 7369 Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Am I the only one who sees a certain incongruity between Comerford's complaints about Indianapolis not caring about Lafayette and his choice to outsource virtually all operations to a production hub in Little Rock? And when looking back over the history of J&C articles on WPBI, I laughed out loud when I read the quote in an earlier story bragging about the large number of resumes he'd received from people wanting to work for WPBI. But who needs local employees when you can outsource to Arkansas? I'm convinced that despite all the cries of serving Lafayette, Star City's actions speak far louder than their words. I remain anything but impressed.
post #7366 of 7369 Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi all. I am a total newbie with regards to OTA HDTV, so I'm looking for some advice with regards to "cutting the cable". I'm in SE Indianapolis (Southport area) about 17 miles from the main Indianapolis towers ( TV Fool )

I've had DirecTV forever, so I have a roof-mounted dish with coax cables running to a breakout box in the garage with a 8-port splitter that in turn goes to all of my 4 TVs. Is it as simple as purchasing a decent roof-mounted HDTV outdoor antenna and then disconnecting my DTV dish and plugging in the HDTV antenna in its place?

Any specific antenna recommendations plus any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

XBox - IndyMark007

Last edited by indyfranks; 06-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #7367 of 7369 Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
Hi all. I am a total newbie with regards to OTA HDTV, so I'm looking for some advice with regards to "cutting the cable". I'm in SE Indianapolis (Southport area) about 17 miles from the main Indianapolis towers ( TV Fool )

I've had DirecTV forever, so I have a roof-mounted dish with coax cables running to a breakout box in the garage with a 8-port splitter that in turn goes to all of my 4 TVs. Is it as simple as purchasing a decent roof-mounted HDTV outdoor antenna and then disconnecting my DTV dish and plugging in the HDTV antenna in its place?

Any specific antenna recommendations plus any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!
After looking at your TV Fool report, you should have no problem with signal level at your location. As to your 8 port splitter for use, I'm assuming it is a "passive" splitter (not amplified). If so, the splitter MAY knock down the signal level a lot. The only way to tell is to hook up the system and see what level you are getting out of the splitter and what SNR shows up on your tv (a minimum of 15 db is needed--higher is better). Most tv's have a signal level report somewhere in their menus to show this. If the splitter is lowering your signal a lot, you may need to get an amplified RF/splitter. In my case, I'm ~ 55 miles NW of the Indy antenna "farm". I'm using a CM 4228 (original style) for UHF and an RCA 751 for VHF running both into a combiner. I then run the combiner into an amplified splitter that has 4 db gain. With this setup, I don't seem to have many problems (depending on weather conditions). And, I do believe you should be able to connect your antenna (with a balun to match impedances) directly into your present coax feed.

As to antenna, you will not need a "deep fringe" style as close as you are to the tv xmtrs. Also, get an antenna that is a combo upper VHF/UHF in one instead of the way I did it having to use two antennas. As to a brand, I'm not an expert. Look at Channel Master, Antennas Direct, MCM and compare their medium range antennas. Perhaps someone else can recommend a specific brand/model to use in your case. Hope this is some help for you. I've always used OTA antennas all my life for tv viewing. Never have paid for a tv feed.
post #7368 of 7369 Old 06-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This antenna works great here in Cincinnati 15 miles north of the cincy. towers and 30 miles south of dayton transmitters.

This antenna does pick up vhf channels (it picks up my local vhf channel wkrc 12).
Vhf 15-20 miles, UHF 60 miles.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2425

Identical antenna as above specs.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB4X

Last edited by Balloonfanatic; 06-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.
post #7369 of 7369 Old Today, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WTHI-TV 10 in Terre Haute will add The CW Plus on 10.3 in August. Ion will move to 10.4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception