Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #7351 of 7361 Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post
That's what repacking is, getting as many stations as possible into a band with fewer channels

After the analog shutoff in 2009, there were a lot of holes left on the 14-51 UHF band. They probably could have taken about six channels without any auction using repacking alone.

In the case of moving 29 to 15, there's likely a station (perhaps more than one) nearby that can't stay on 15, but can move to 29 (or 28, or 30, since adjacent-channels are still a problem) by clearing 29 out of Indy.
Thanks for the info. AFAIK, or can guess, WICD (virtual 15, actual 41, Champaign/Urbana, Ill.) will obviously have to change. Perhaps, they have been given real channel 29 and that is what is forcing WTTK to move to actual 15. Once again, that is only a supposition. This may not be what has happened at all. Again-thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7361 Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Equipment to someday become obsolete???

Any idea if, when and how soon our equipment becomes obsolete?
Makes me feel half sick to think that could happen.

Chris C
post #7353 of 7361 Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Any idea if, when and how soon our equipment becomes obsolete?
Makes me feel half sick to think that could happen.
ATSC 3.0 fans will tell us that ATSC 1.0 is still going to be required for now.
Cynics like me see one transmitter sending out six standard definition signals to fulfill their duties.
ATSC 3.0 fans have all sorts of claims of cheap dongle adapters that will rid us of our need for big antennas.
Others claim 1,000 subchannels on each TV station.
There is so much hype it is unbelievable.
Now having said that, Trip and others who I respect see great possibilities and some even refer to is as the savior of traditional TV.
Where does the truth live?
I have no earthly idea.
But this 69 year old cynic is a little scared.
ccrider2 likes this.

post #7354 of 7361 Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
More spectrum repacking info available here. http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp This site also lists the transition stage (timetable) as to when the channel change is planned to be coordinated with other stations.

Vidop, WICD is moving from 41 to 32 with sister station WICS from 42 to 15, and WCCU from 26 to 36 with its sister station WRSP from 44 to 16.
post #7355 of 7361 Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich2 View Post
More spectrum repacking info available here. http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp This site also lists the transition stage (timetable) as to when the channel change is planned to be coordinated with other stations.

Vidop, WICD is moving from 41 to 32 with sister station WICS from 42 to 15, and WCCU from 26 to 36 with its sister station WRSP from 44 to 16.
Thanks for the info! This changeover is going to be interesting (!).
post #7356 of 7361 Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
An idle question---WTTK 29 is actually on REAL channel 29, I believe. If so, why is the station going to have to go to 15? AIUI, only stations that are actually on REAL channels 37 and above are going to have to change frequencies. I agree with WXIN changing. Their REAL channel is 45, so I understand the move for them. Am I misunderstanding this? Thanks for any info. Also--when is the date for this changeover to occur?
WSBT out of South Bend was given 29. Must of moved WTTK because of being to close. I am glad as my Winegard 7698 has the most UHF gain on 15.

Last edited by mrc54; 03-14-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #7357 of 7361 Old Today, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
According to this information, WXIN, which is currently on channel 45, will be moving to channel 22. Won't that create a problem for WFYI which is currently on channel 21 and is not slated to move? The towers for those two stations are about a mile apart.
post #7358 of 7361 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Won't that create a problem for WFYI which is currently on channel 21 and is not slated to move? The towers for those two stations are about a mile apart.
No. Adjacent channels on towers that are within a dozen or so miles of each other usually do not cause interference issues at the receiving end. As a matter of experience, co-location of adjacent channels is actually quite beneficial for antenna users as long as there is not a gross power differential between the stations. We have a local channel 36 low power adjacent to a full power channel 35 here in St Louis that's often problematic. The channel 36 owner had applied for and was issued a permit to relocate channels but they never actually followed through and made that move.
post #7359 of 7361 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb37 View Post
Won't that create a problem for WFYI which is currently on channel 21 and is not slated to move?
To date, I'm not aware of any information regarding the possible repacking of WFYI. Until it is officially reported, WFYI may or may not have to move from RF ch. 21 to another RF channel.

The NAB reports that 68% of all TV stations will be moving to a different channel. That's a LOT of moving!
post #7360 of 7361 Old Today, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
The NAB reports that 68% of all TV stations will be moving to a different channel. That's a LOT of moving!
no. If you read it on their site only 575 stations have self-reported to the NAB of which 68% of THOSE stations are moving. So its 68% so far of 575 stations so 391...not 68% of ALL the stations in the US.
post #7361 of 7361 Old Today, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
no. If you read it on their site only 575 stations have self-reported to the NAB of which 68% of THOSE stations are moving. So its 68% so far of 575 stations so 391...not 68% of ALL the stations in the US.
Good catch. You are correct. It may end up being close to that percentage but we won't know for sure until next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page