Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #7381 of 7399 Old 07-16-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Yes-It is up and running. One thing to note---it had been advertised that this new station would be on channel 49. NOPE! It's (virtual/real) channel is 35.1. I have no idea why channel 49 was originally given out to the public as the channel number. They are having some teething problems. I noticed that during the daytime, audio/video are fine. No problems. But--when they hit the network feed in the evening, there is NO center channel for audio.The end result is that no dialog can be heard at all. The L/R channels carry the background music/sound effects. But, all you see are lips flapping--no dialog. To make sure it wasn't just one tuner doing this, I switched between three separate tuners. They all had the same problem--no dialog on the network feed in the evening.
Have they fixed the issues yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Have they fixed the issues yet?
I did a VERY QUICK look last night. For the short duration I watched, it appears that the audio is now as it should be. I'll give it a longer look tonight to make sure. Thanks for the come back!
post #7383 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Propagation

A very strange incident this morning. BTW-I'm on an OTA antenna in LaFayette. In the early morning, I turn on the telly and listen to the news from the Indianapolis stations. To my surprise, this morning, ALL the Indy stations (on my multiple tv's) were BLANK. As in, no signal level, no RF, zero! The four LaFayette stations were at normal signal levels. So, I ruled out a problem with my RF distribution in the house. After a few minutes of scratching my head, I tried something. I had the tv do a scan for "new" digital channels to add. To my surprise, I got the Chicago tv stations! So, something in the ionosphere must be somewhat out of kilter. Has anybody else had this happen? I'm familiar with this happening on commercial/amateur radio frequencies (as in "skip" signals). But, I've never seen ALL tv channels from one area be blanked out like this. An interesting phenomenon, to be sure.

post #7384 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A very strange incident this morning. BTW-I'm on an OTA antenna in LaFayette. In the early morning, I turn on the telly and listen to the news from the Indianapolis stations. To my surprise, this morning, ALL the Indy stations (on my multiple tv's) were BLANK. As in, no signal level, no RF, zero! The four LaFayette stations were at normal signal levels. So, I ruled out a problem with my RF distribution in the house. After a few minutes of scratching my head, I tried something. I had the tv do a scan for "new" digital channels to add. To my surprise, I got the Chicago tv stations! So, something in the ionosphere must be somewhat out of kilter. Has anybody else had this happen? I'm familiar with this happening on commercial/amateur radio frequencies (as in "skip" signals). But, I've never seen ALL tv channels from one area be blanked out like this. An interesting phenomenon, to be sure.
I've seen that happen before. When I lived in North Central Minnesota Minneapolis stations were 93 miles south of me. So I mainly relied on translators there which are closer (still do including 2 analog ones...for ABC & FOX). Anywho Labor Day weekend a couple years ago I could not get ANY Minneapolis stations yet were able to log all the Rochester, MN stations at almost 175 miles away (Rochester is S/SE of Minneapolis) including a 15kw translator. I even got KEYC CBS 12 Mankato (172 miles away SW) which screwed with my "local" CBS (45 miles away) on the same RF station.

Here is that post I made back 2 years ago
Quote:
Where I am located (46.36N 93.6W) Minneapolis is 93 miles south of me. Yet I couldnt get much anything from there yet I was able to grab the full set of Rochester/Austin/Mason City locals...including a 15kw translator!

I'm not going to post pics of repeats from the other day but a couple notes
KTTC 10 in Rochester I was picking up on my VHF antenna which is aimed the other way!! I have it aimed for my local CBS KCCW 12 (Walker, MN) which is NW of me. Yet I got KTTC about 1/2bar on the Zenith. The UHF's (KIMT, KAAL, KXLT, KDIN, KSMQ) almost buried the needle being over 200 miles away. In fact a couple of them would still log and be stable even when the antenna wasnt aimed that way.
post #7385 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

by the way what does the PSIP show for the ABC station?
post #7386 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Really big CME from the Sun hit Earth last night; could be the cause.
Lot of cool links to stuff way over my head. http://www.bpearthwatch.com/

CME
https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSyste...1&cygnetId=261

Chris C
post #7387 of 7399 Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
weird stuff for sure

There is something weird happening in the last few days.
Nothing like a total reversal of stations received, but I have had some days recently where a very weak station about 90 miles away (WNDY), which I get sometimes, sometimes not, had a stronger/higher snr signal than one 50 miles away (WTHR).
post #7388 of 7399 Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've seen that happen before. When I lived in North Central Minnesota Minneapolis stations were 93 miles south of me. So I mainly relied on translators there which are closer (still do including 2 analog ones...for ABC & FOX). Anywho Labor Day weekend a couple years ago I could not get ANY Minneapolis stations yet were able to log all the Rochester, MN stations at almost 175 miles away (Rochester is S/SE of Minneapolis) including a 15kw translator. I even got KEYC CBS 12 Mankato (172 miles away SW) which screwed with my "local" CBS (45 miles away) on the same RF station.

Here is that post I made back 2 years ago
The ionosphere certainly was in the right mode for that type of DX'ing!
post #7389 of 7399 Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
by the way what does the PSIP show for the ABC station?
My DVR doesn't show any info for 35.1 yet. But, I "assume" the listings would be the same as for the ABC Indy station, at least for the night-time network feed.
post #7390 of 7399 Old 07-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Really big CME from the Sun hit Earth last night; could be the cause.
Lot of cool links to stuff way over my head. http://www.bpearthwatch.com/

CME
https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSyste...1&cygnetId=261
I agree--that webpage has a LOT of info. I'm impressed. But, as you stated, most of it is way above my level of knowledge.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #7391 of 7399 Old 07-18-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My DVR doesn't show any info for 35.1 yet. But, I "assume" the listings would be the same as for the ABC Indy station, at least for the night-time network feed.
no what I meant was the callsign (PSIP). Like when I tune to my local ABC here in Minneapolis on my TV directly (not through the Tivo) it shows KSTPDT and 5-1 on my TV.
post #7392 of 7399 Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
no what I meant was the callsign (PSIP). Like when I tune to my local ABC here in Minneapolis on my TV directly (not through the Tivo) it shows KSTPDT and 5-1 on my TV.
Perhaps you mean this--WPBY-CD. Here is info from Wikileaks to give further info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPBY-CD
post #7393 of 7399 Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps you mean this--WPBY-CD.
I know thats what the press release originally said the callsign was going to be. Is that what shows up for the PSIP (WPBY-CD) when you tune to 35-1?
Just wondering.
post #7394 of 7399 Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know thats what the press release originally said the callsign was going to be. Is that what shows up for the PSIP (WPBY-CD) when you tune to 35-1?
Just wondering.
I haven't watched this channel very much yet. But, to my memory, I seem to recall that when they have a break between programs, they announce the station as "WPBY, channel 35". And the video on the screen says the same. I'll have to make a point to view this channel again and pay attention to this. Since I'm on an OTA antenna, I still watch channel 6, WTHR, for the ABC feed. I do this out of habit. I can receive either channel with no problem. Hope this answers your question.
post #7395 of 7399 Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Tivo reads WUDZ-LD in the 70's in regard to signal strength. Yet it still breaks up on me. My antenna is located in my garage attic, so it is only about 12 high. But I'm only 12 miles to the north of their transmitter. Why should I have break ups? Thx.
post #7396 of 7399 Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmpeters View Post
My Tivo reads WUDZ-LD in the 70's in regard to signal strength. Yet it still breaks up on me. My antenna is located in my garage attic, so it is only about 12 high. But I'm only 12 miles to the north of their transmitter. Why should I have break ups? Thx.
what Tivo Model?
Reason I ask is the older Tivo's (Series 3, HD) the meter went to 100 whereas the Roamio and I think the bolt maxes out at 72 (my Roamio does 72)

Breakups mean multipath issues. Ive seen a 72 signal on my Roamio and had breakups.
post #7397 of 7399 Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the response. It's a TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR that I just got from Amazon.
post #7398 of 7399 Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK cool. Ive had the Roamio OTA since they first came out back in September 2014 (upgraded to one that had lifetime in it...the original version had only a monthly fee)...anywho

The max signal it will show in the meter is 72...but note it can be very stingy compared to an older unit that has the 100 max signal. What I mean is an older unit (Series3/HD) the meter can fluctuate between say 88-94 on the meter yet the Roamio will say 67%.

As I noted multipath is the main reason for glitches even with a 72% signal. The main reason is FEC or Forward Error Correction. Basically what it means is how much of the signal is being used to control errors that is sent in the stream (the signal from the tower to you). If you want to read up on how it works here is the wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

Basically the more "error correction" they send out in the stream the better the odds of not getting glitches will be. I know my CBS station uses more FEC than my local ABC because CBS is usually glitch free whereas ABC may have a glitch here and there even with a 72 signal. There is a way to see if there were any corrections by going into the menus (but its not 100% accurate)

Tivo button
settings
account settings
dvr diagnostics

it will show for each of the 4 tuners the channel number, frequency, signal. Scroll down to where it says corrected and uncorrected. Uncorrected means it didnt "fix" the data issue. Corrected means it did. Main goal is to see 0 for both.

I see you mentioned WUDZ which is a DTVAmerica station. I have 2 of them here in Minneapolis. One I can get all the time and the other only comes in a blue moon and I've seen glitches on those stations all the time. I think it has to do with the signal being sent out.

I guess I should have asked how bad the glitches are?
post #7399 of 7399 Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
weirdest antenna situation ever

I have put up several antennas for myself and others over the years, and have always had good luck with Winegard.
But I have a situation now that is way beyond my ability to understand.
The VHF section of my H7697 (hi VHF only) is pathetic, and receives channel 13 at a VERY low level. I know, because I have a reliable Sadelco signal meter, and channel 13's signal is 15dB lower when compared to a cheap VHF antenna I used as a comparison.
I have a twin H7697 to it (long story) and it works much better at ground level looking through a fence row full of small trees and then through a second group of trees (outdoor temporary "storage.")
This makes zero sense to me, and I've never seen such a thing before.
I ordered a VHF only antenna, and intend to use the Winegard for UHF only, but I'm curious as I've never seen anything like this before with a Winegard product.
HELP!

Nat Hill IV

ps. if a MOD can tell me a better section to put this in, or wants to move it, feel free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page