Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #7411 of 7418 Old 08-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
If they are owned by same company (as is the case) they can have the station on more than one RF station. Its not really competition since its the same feed. Since there is nothing out there on the FCC site for WPBY-CD or a channel 35 licensed to Lafayette I have to guess.

The reason stations map networks to more than one RF station (when they own more than one) is mainly coverage. I'll give you an example
In Minneapolis FOX is on BOTH RF29 & RF9. They were on analog 9 but when the DTV transition happened lots of indoor antenna folks lost FOX 9 when KMSP (FOX) went back to RF9. Since FOX owns both KMSP and WFTC (which is on RF29) they mapped a SD feed of Fox on RF29. A few years ago they redid it so if you scan RF29 you get FOX HD on 9-1, My HD on 9-2 and Movies on 9-3. If you scan RF9 you get Buzzr on 9-4, Light on 9-05 and FOX HD on 9-9.

I know in St Joseph, MO they did the same thing. They recently got CBS there and its on a low powered station (KCJO). The issue is its only at 750 watts (shortspace with a KC station also on RF30). So they also put it on co-owned KNPN RF26 which has FOX on the -1 which is at 15,000 watts. So better coverage.
I think they're just "hogging-up" air-space to be able to sell that space to other investors in the future when the internet opens up to different uses. Probably a law that requires them to use the space, but not in any regard to actual programming.... just a supposition on my part.

Chris C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7418 Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
If they are owned by same company (as is the case) they can have the station on more than one RF station. Its not really competition since its the same feed. Since there is nothing out there on the FCC site for WPBY-CD or a channel 35 licensed to Lafayette I have to guess.

The reason stations map networks to more than one RF station (when they own more than one) is mainly coverage. I'll give you an example
In Minneapolis FOX is on BOTH RF29 & RF9. They were on analog 9 but when the DTV transition happened lots of indoor antenna folks lost FOX 9 when KMSP (FOX) went back to RF9. Since FOX owns both KMSP and WFTC (which is on RF29) they mapped a SD feed of Fox on RF29. A few years ago they redid it so if you scan RF29 you get FOX HD on 9-1, My HD on 9-2 and Movies on 9-3. If you scan RF9 you get Buzzr on 9-4, Light on 9-05 and FOX HD on 9-9.

I know in St Joseph, MO they did the same thing. They recently got CBS there and its on a low powered station (KCJO). The issue is its only at 750 watts (shortspace with a KC station also on RF30). So they also put it on co-owned KNPN RF26 which has FOX on the -1 which is at 15,000 watts. So better coverage.
Good explanation. Sounds reasonable to me. Even though I knew both stations are under the same ownership, it just seemed odd that they both were carrying ABC in the same DMA. Once again, thanks for the comeback.

Last edited by Vidop; 08-05-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7413 of 7418 Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
I think they're just "hogging-up" air-space to be able to sell that space to other investors in the future when the internet opens up to different uses. Probably a law that requires them to use the space, but not in any regard to actual programming.... just a supposition on my part.
ccrider2 wins post of the day. There's no commitment to serving Lafayette / West Lafayette long term. Simply speculation on a future payday.

post #7414 of 7418 Old 08-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Why do these two LaFayette stations both carry the ABC net feed in the evening?
Quick aside, Vidop. Are you new to Lafayette? Purdue, perhaps? The reason I ask is your spelling "LaFayette." Not something I see long term residents do.
post #7415 of 7418 Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin'Charge View Post
Quick aside, Vidop. Are you new to Lafayette? Purdue, perhaps? The reason I ask is your spelling "LaFayette." Not something I see long term residents do.
So-am I new to the LaFayette area? Yes and no. I grew up in this area. But, for the last 35 years, I've lived/worked in Chicago. I've now retired and moved back to LaFayette.

As to why I capitalize the "F" in the name, you may wonder?

In grade school (in the mid-fifties--yes, I'm that old), we were all taught that the proper spelling was with a capital "F". Here are the reasons that were given.

1) Obviously, this is a French name from the American Revolutionary war. You always capitalize a name.

2) In French, the name is really two words. The "La" and "Fayette". So, since it is a name, both first letters of the two words should be capitalized.

Whether these reasons are valid or not, that is what I (and other classmates) were taught back then. So, that is ingrained in my memory. I do realize, though, that most people do spell it with the small "f". I'll persist in being being contrary and continue to use the capital "F". :-)

Thanks for asking!
post #7416 of 7418 Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM

I suspected that to be the case. I'm a bit younger than you (grade school in the mid 60s) but spent a few years in the area and didn't recall seeing anyone spell it that way. I trust there's no offense that I asked.
post #7417 of 7418 Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin'Charge View Post
I suspected that to be the case. I'm a bit younger than you (grade school in the mid 60s) but spent a few years in the area and didn't recall seeing anyone spell it that way. I trust there's no offense that I asked.
Don't give it a second thought. No offense was taken by your question. I took it as an idle curiosity query.
post #7418 of 7418 Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WLFI launched CW Plus on 18.2 on August 1. WTHI is supposed to add it as well on 10.3, but it has been delayed. I think it's because they need equipment to launch an additional HD channel. They already had the main CBS and Fox on HD, and this will be a third. WLFI only had the CBS channel in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page