Myrtle Beach, SC - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1999 Old 01-31-2003, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried lastnight during primetime but not a flicker. I'll give it another shot tonight. Nothing at this moment. But I'm about 100 miles away, I don't expect anything. Besides I get NBC HD by OTA(50% of time) and on TWC. So I'm not quite out in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1999 Old 02-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I thought I was posting to this thread earlier, but it ended up being a new post instead.

Is anyone in Wilmington able to receive Florence/MB stations? If so, what equipment?

It looks like the towers are about 70 miles away... I know that's approaching the limits, but it is pretty flat around here...
post #93 of 1999 Old 03-15-2003, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just bumping this up in case someone new might see it. I am currently getting ABC,NBC,CBS, FOX, PBS (sometimes) in over the air digital in FLorence.

It is good to finally have all the networks. I know that PBS will be much more reliable once Sumter is on the air (which I heard should be soon)

Scott
post #94 of 1999 Old 03-15-2003, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Scott,

You said "It is good to finally have all the networks". You didn't mention WB or UPN.

You say your getting FOX, is that outta Columbia or is WFXB-DT 43 outta Myrtle Beach live at extremely low power? I ask because I haven't seen even a flicker of a signal from WFXB yet.
post #95 of 1999 Old 03-16-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The only FOX digital that I am getting is WACH-DT 48 out of Columbia.

ALso, just of interest only, I have been getting a pretty reliable signal from WCSC-DT out of Charleston!

I don't really consider UPN, since they have no HD. I would like to check out the WB in digital, but we don't even have an analog affiliate.

Scott
post #96 of 1999 Old 03-17-2003, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I figured it was WACH-DT your getting. I unfortunately have no OTA analog WB affiliate either. Just a cable only analog WB network WFWB-TV out of Florence.
post #97 of 1999 Old 08-20-2003, 08:19 AM
rcp

Do any of you know whether the Lumberton UNC HD channel is running properly? I live in Laurinburg and receive the digital signals on 31.1,3,4,and 5 until 8pm. Then all but 31.1 go off (as, I understand, they need to for 32.2 HD to come on), but I cannot get the HD signal. I even called Sony after 8pm last night (the set is a Sony XBR KD-34>BR2) and they walked me thru the standard channel set up menus, had me default to factory settings, but, still, no dice! Sometimes when I'm watching 31.1 the HD signal bleeds through for a few seconds. Maddening! Any advice?
post #98 of 1999 Old 08-26-2003, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

rcp,

Your right, during primetime between 8pm and 11pm 31.3, 31.4 & 31.5 are turned off and 31.2 is turned on. I get them ok but I'm much closer than you (Pembroke). If you get 31.1 I don't understand why you don't get 31.2.
post #99 of 1999 Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 AM
rcp

Thanks for the reply, Daryl. It's puzzling and frustrating.
post #100 of 1999 Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering if Channels 16 & 20 out of Florence are off the air. I'd been getting them since they came on, with a high signal strength, until recently.

For the last few days I checked, can't get anything.. Not sure when that happen because I don't check all that often, since they aren't HD.. I'm still getting everything else, including WBTW, which is much weaker, or use too be anyway..

Down on the coast is where I'm trying. So I'm wondering, are they off the air, having problems, reduced power or has something really weird happen at my end?

Like I said, no problems with any other channels, and that includes WWAY, which I'm getting very easy now.
post #101 of 1999 Old 09-09-2003, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

WPDE-DT 15 (6-1) and WWMB-DT 21 (20-1) have been of the air for nearly a two weeks now. I called WPDE yesterday and left a message o some ladies answering machine. She called back this morning and my nurse answered thinking they were callinng my father so I didn't get to speak with her. My nurse said the lady told her the engineer said they were having problems and should be back on air at the end of this month and they were in the process of upgrading to HD.
post #102 of 1999 Old 11-19-2003, 09:32 AM

I called WPDE 15, the ABC affiliate here in Florence/Conway. The master tech there told me that they tried to get the HD up, but they failed. They are waiting to get new equipment from the corporate ABC people. They said initially they wanted it done with testing and live April 2004, but he said that it will be at least Nov. 2004 until it will happen. SD for now, HDTV in Nov. 2004 No plans for HD for UPN 21 there other carrier.
post #103 of 1999 Old 11-19-2003, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. I notice that WPDE-DT15 and WWMB-DT21 is constantly on and off the air at any given time. The past few days WPDE-DT15 has either been running at lower power (use to get 100% signal) or my antenna has been shifted by the wind while at the same time WWMB-DT21 is always at 100% when their on air.

Right now WPDE's signal strength is at 30% and WWMB is at 100%.
post #104 of 1999 Old 11-22-2003, 09:50 PM

1. I went to ACE hardware, no antennas.
2. acehardware.com said they could deliver the Channel master 4 bay or the 3020/18/16 products to the store.
3. I went to J&M Supply Company,no antennas, order only Winegard 9095 UHF only $90 and VHF $160+ shipping.
4. Lowes has the CM 3020 for $100.
5. Radio Shack has the VU-190 for $100 and the VU-120XR for $70.

I want to watch the Colts vs. Bills game in 12 hrs.
Its on CBS in Columbus, the Florence station is airing the Jags game.
FWIW, CBS HD for next week is Colts vs. Patriots.

I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor for Florence channels.
The Zenith is sitting on top of the table facing toward Dillon.
The results: 16 WPDE ABC, 20 WWMB UPN, 13 WBTW CBS.

I bought the Radio Shack VU-120XR for Columbia channels.
The Radio Shack is facing west in my attic.
The results: 8 WOLO ABC, 17 WLTX CBS, 41 WIS NBC, 48 WACH FOX.

I am happy 2 ABCs, 2 CBSs, 1 NBC, 1 FOX, and 1 UPN.
No monthly fee...
post #105 of 1999 Old 11-23-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Kewl, sounds like your all set.
post #106 of 1999 Old 11-26-2003, 05:11 AM

Did a channel scan sunday. I'm picking up 7.1 NBC I believe it's out of wilmington. may only be transmitting during primetime, I haven't had time to check it out during the week.
post #107 of 1999 Old 11-26-2003, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think thats NBC out of Wilmington. Their numbers will be 44.1 remapped to 6.1. I haven't gotten any signal from these numbers yet.

Has anybody got a signal from WPDE or WWMB the last couple days? I haven't.
post #108 of 1999 Old 11-26-2003, 08:13 AM

I have not gotten a signal from WPDE or WWMB the last couple days. They have been down since I called them Wishing for HD
post #109 of 1999 Old 11-30-2003, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

crosbyclan,

I just remember there's a station out of Washington, NC that broadcasts NBC. Their NBC WITN-TV/DT 7 (32-1 remapped to 7-1). This may be who you picked up.

FloCobra,

WWMB 21(20-1) has been on the past couple days but still no signal from WPDE 15(16-1) yet.
post #110 of 1999 Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 AM

Thanks Daryl,

I must have gotten some good tropospheric ducting that day. I have not been able to reliably receive that station since. still waiting on Fox and NBC that I can recieve consistently.
post #111 of 1999 Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I was asked to post this by Diana Smith to the appropriate forums:

"The new HD Tier channels are available in the Columbia-Sumter-Orangeburg areas, Florence-MB areas and the southern portion of The Grand Strand including Surfside Beach, Pawley's Island, Georgetown and Andrews. Due to Bandwidth constraints, we are unable to launch in Summerville at this time. We are actively planning to upgrade the Summerville plant in the very near future, however I do not have a timetable for completion of either the upgrade or addition of new HD signals as they become available.

We regret the inconvenience for our Summerville customers and pledge to remedy the situation as soon as possible."

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Time Warner Cable South Carolina

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #112 of 1999 Old 12-05-2003, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also asked to post this by Diana Smith to the appropriate forums:

In answer to the requests for information concerning the impending launch of the HD DVR (SA Explorer 8000 HD):

Currently TWC is field testing the new HD DVR in another TWC location. We do not have an option to test in South Carolina. Corporate Engineering announced yesterday afternoon that they expect' to sign off on the equipment around the end of the year, but this date is still an estimate. Please understand that the delay has been associated with our desire to offer a set top that is technically sound.

Upon approval, it will probably take a week to 10 days to receive and stage the converters, as well as distribute to all systems for customer use. The HD DVR will be available in all TWC Digital Systems throughout South Carolina.

Pricing for the HD DVR will be the same as the current DVR model: $14.90 per month ($9.95 for the converter and $4.95 for the functionality).

The E8000HD has the following features:

* DVR Capability for Std. and HD content
* Dual HD Decode
* 160GB Hard drive
* DVI

Diana Smith

Bruce

Bruce
post #113 of 1999 Old 12-09-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I was asked to pass the following along by Diana Smith, Director of Marketing for Video Services, Time Warner Cable South Carolina:

In answer to questions concerning the plans for future pricing of HD Programming:

"Time Warner Cable of South Carolina has no plans to charge for HD services that the company does not pay a license fee to carry. This would include HD versions of local broadcast networks. Programming that costs the company significant license fees to acquire and carry will likely become part of a "paid tier" (the HD Tier) for which customers will have an option to subscribe. This would include channels like ESPN HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, IN HD 1 and IN HD 2. This is in keeping with customers' desire to subscribe, and only pay for, programming that they want."

Dan Santelle
Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Time Warner Cable of South Carolina

Bruce
post #114 of 1999 Old 12-09-2003, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

bdenman,

Although I'm not in SC thanks for all the info.
post #115 of 1999 Old 12-17-2003, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

If interested, I posted the contents here of an email this morning I received from TWC. It concerned the ins/outs of the TWC/Pioneer promotion.

Bruce
post #116 of 1999 Old 12-23-2003, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I was asked to post this information from Diana at Time Warner:

"Effective Immediately:

HD Net and HD Net Movies are now available in the following Time Warner Cable of South Carolina Service Areas:

* Greater Columbia
* Sumter Area
* Orangeburg Area
* Florence Area
* The Grand Strand from the North Carolina border to the Georgetown-Andrews area. Also including Conway.

These services are available on Channel 930 and 931 respectively and are part of The HD Tier. Currently the HD Tier is available as a free preview through February to HD customers who call in and request the service. Effective March 1, 2004, the tier will cost $6.95 per month.

Diana Smith
Marketing Director for Video Services
Time Warner Cable South Carolina"

Bruce
post #117 of 1999 Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

DVI for SA3250HD
Marketing Director for Video Services

Subj: SA 3250HD DVI Output Update:

Effective Tuesday January 6, 2004, the code to activate the DVI output on the SA 3250HD will be downloaded. Please note, the HD Converter must be powered off for at least 15 minutes, post-download, in order to receive the code.

Bruce
post #118 of 1999 Old 01-14-2004, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I got this information from Shaun Bennett at SCETV and thought it might be of some use to you all here in the Florence/MB area:

"WRJA-D is the second station on our current build out queue. We are going to bring our Charleston station (WITV) up later this month and WRJA up in February. The tower has been reenforced and the antenna has been mounted. We have a few modifications to make with the equipment at the transmitter site, but expect a fairly smooth power up. When I get a firm date I will let you know."

[WRJA is SCETV's station in Sumter and their DT programming should be essentially the same as WRLK's (almost but not 100%). Besides the Sumter area coverage, their OTA digital broadcast will extend SCETV's signal more towards Florence and other points east.]

Bruce
post #119 of 1999 Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was asked to post his:

Please Note:

I have just discovered that the software upgrades necessary to implement the DVI output on the HD DVR (SA 8000HD) will not be implemented until March.

I apologize for any miscommunication on this issue and regret any inconvenience that may have resulted.

Diana Smith

Bruce
post #120 of 1999 Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Good Morning,

I wanted to update you on the situation with WIS HD on TWC.

We are down to the final review of the deal. The last pieces to be agreed upon are very minor. Both sides have focused their efforts this week on getting the deal finalized prior to the races this weekend. It is very close to resolution and we feel there are decent odds it will be signed before the end of business on Friday, 2/13. If this is accomplished TWC will be able to provide the signal in time for the Saturday race.

Please realize this is not a promise that the deal will be done, just a pledge that we are continuing to do all that we can to accomplish the feat.

If the deal is completed, I will provide a post to the forum and we will provide a crawl on The Weather Channel.

As a final note, the WIS deal will provide NBC service to all TWC South Carolina HD Subscribers in all areas except Summerville/North Charleston.

Diana Smith
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page