Myrtle Beach, SC - HDTV - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1999 Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rescan is how I found the ones I found. Some HD, some SD, some broadcast, some cable, it makes no sense (other than your explanation, of course).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1999 Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM

As a DX fan, I have locked WITN in Greenville NC from Fort Mill SC at 85% on many times . I can lock WBTW however my signal will jump from 10% to 70% back to 10. Analog is pretty clear so I am curious to see what happens after the flash cut back to VHF 13 next year.
post #1473 of 1999 Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any idea when/if WMBF 32 will begin testing? I scan daily to check but nothing yet,though I'm just outside their fringe area. Also on August 8th they go live and my TWC Lumberton NC hub is dropping WECT 6 NBC for WMBF 32 NBC on the 8th (we're part of the Florence/Myrtle Beach DMA).
post #1474 of 1999 Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You guys down in the Myrtle Beach area will be getting a great weatherman on WMBF once it launches.
Jamie Arnold just left my local NBC station WITN in Washington NC and has joined WMBF.
He is really good, we all hated to see him leave WITN.

Directv
2 HR20-700 HD DVR
1 HR22-100 HD DVR
1 D10
Samsung 40" LN-T4042H HDTV
Samsung 22" LN22A450 HDTV
Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
post #1475 of 1999 Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post

Any idea when/if WMBF 32 will begin testing? I scan daily to check but nothing yet,though I'm just outside their fringe area. Also on August 8th they go live and my TWC Lumberton NC hub is dropping WECT 6 NBC for WMBF 32 NBC on the 8th (we're part of the Florence/Myrtle Beach DMA).

I read up on that , and they had to cease WECT because of FCC rules, being that both stations are owned by Raycom. The weird thing will be, WECT's analog and digital signal will reach that area, but the WMBF signal won't even come close, and they cannot raise tower or power because they are surrounded by stations in all directions also using the channel 32 frequency. They IMO should ask to get on another channel so they can cover the market a little better OTA.

Should be interesting reception though during temperature inversions!
post #1476 of 1999 Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

WECT's digital signal I can't hardly ever get due to the direction of their antenna. I'm hoping WMBF's signal will give e a better chance.
post #1477 of 1999 Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

WECT is going on the WWAY tower at the 2000' level with WSFX and increasing power very shortly, and they will power all the way up by Sept 8, so I bet you will see it then. It will have the same antenna radiation as WWAY and WSFX too.
post #1478 of 1999 Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

WECT is going on the WWAY tower at the 2000' level with WSFX and increasing power very shortly, and they will power all the way up by Sept 8, so I bet you will see it then. It will have the same antenna radiation as WWAY and WSFX too.

That would certainly help. I get WWAY and WSFX digital about 75% of the time.
post #1479 of 1999 Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Might want to check 6.1 now, as I am getting them at 82% and normally during the day I get them at 30%
post #1480 of 1999 Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Might want to check 6.1 now, as I am getting them at 82% and normally during the day I get them at 30%

I checked, no WWAY or WECT for me any yesterday. I was getting WSFX thought. Probably the weather increased your signal strength. My t doesn't have a signal strength meter so couldn't check that.
post #1481 of 1999 Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

WECT is back to 35% so it must have been the weather, and WWAY is at 92% but no picture today on 3.1 or 3.2

I didn't used to get WECT hardly at all until I switched out some sorry RG-6 coax to 25 yr old twin lead I had lying around from antenna to mast amp, and raised antenna height a couple of feet, now I get them all the time and I am outside of their radiation and on the wrong side. I have learned a lot by playing around with antenna's and connectors!!!!!!
post #1482 of 1999 Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like TWC of Lumberton NC is finally adding WFSX' s HD to the lineup along with the Addition of WMBF HD.
Quote:
August 8, 2008: WMBF will replace WECT on Channel 9 as the new NBC affiliate in the Lumberton viewing area. The HD, digital and WeatherPlus channels of NBC affiliate WNCN will also be replaced by the WMBF digital signals on cable channels 217-219. Additionally, the digital signals of the local FOX affiliate, WFXB, will replace the digital signals of WRAZ on channels 250-252.

I will miss Retro Television Network that WRAZ carries on it's sub channel though. Now if WWMB could get their act together and get their HD channel on cable here too. I get them OTA but would be nice to be able to DVR them when not at home sometimes.
post #1483 of 1999 Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Looks like TWC of Lumberton NC is finally adding WFSX' s HD to the lineup along with the Addition of WMBF HD.

I will miss Retro Television Network that WRAZ carries on it's sub channel though. Now if WWMB could get their act together and get their HD channel on cable here too. I get them OTA but would be nice to be able to DVR them when not at home sometimes.

WBTW carrys retro Television Network on their sub 13-2. But their digital channel is uhf 56 over a side mount antenna. Side mount antennas normaly have a blind area or at the very least a weak area in their coverage. I do not know which side of the tower the antenna is. My guess is it is on the south east side thus the north west of their tower would be that weak area. They have 1000000 erp on dtv 56 so you may be able to receive them. But when they cut the analog off they will put the digital on ch 13 over the top mounted antenna. So if you are receiving ch 13 analog now with fair to good signal you should be able to receive 13 after 2-19-09
post #1484 of 1999 Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-the-dtv-ma View Post

WBTW carrys retro Television Network on their sub 13-2.

I get 13-1 & 13-2 OTA and on cable. Although carries some RTN programming that I watch, like American Hero, 21 Jumpstreet and Off Beat Cinema on 13-2 (241 on TWC) I thought 13-2 was mainly MyNetwork Television network. WRAZ's 50-2 (251 on TWC) RTN channel carries mostly different RTN shows than WBTW 13-2 does, like Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew mysteries, Wild Wild West, Rawhide, Get Smart among several more. But I'll live.
post #1485 of 1999 Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 AM

Hey guys, I am new to Myrtle Beach and have a few questions.

1) Which is the preferred provider around here? Time Warner, DirecTV, etc.? Why?

2) For those with DirecTV, how is the OTA HD reception? I'll be living in Plantation Point (basically 38th N and 17). HD is really important to me so I am wondering if Time Warner is the default way to go or if the OTA reception is good enough to have DirecTV? I would really like Sunday Ticket, but HD locals is more important to me.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate any help you can provide.
post #1486 of 1999 Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDockUSC View Post

1) Which is the preferred provider around here? Time Warner, DirecTV, etc.? Why?

2) For those with DirecTV, how is the OTA HD reception? I'll be living in Plantation Point (basically 38th N and 17). HD is really important to me so I am wondering if Time Warner is the default way to go or if the OTA reception is good enough to have DirecTV? I would really like Sunday Ticket, but HD locals is more important to me.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate any help you can provide.

We have great choice of OTA here. You will get a good signal with a UHF antenna. Just mount it to the same place on your gable near where you would like to mount your dish. You may get a few extras if you use a preamp. If you do get a amp make sure it is VHF & UHF so you can receive your VHF high band channels. We have one on the air now [etv 9] & one [CBS 13] coming after the cut on 2-19-09. The big VHF antennas are not needed because none of the stations are going to use low band VHF. The UHF will receive the VHF high band if the are strong enough. Some of the UHF antennas are so small that they are harder to see then the direct TV dish. There are some folks that still use the old 300 ohm flat lead with good results with out a amp. 300 ohm does have less loss than coax but extra care is needed it is mounted. The 300 ohm when carring digital UHF it needs to be twisted 3 twist per foot all the way down. You have to put some money up front to get your signals coming in but ,then it is free from then on. I have seen my neighbors TW HD cable & my OTA HD looks much better. Most every thing else besides the OTA is still SD. So when you get HD cable you are really paying for [for the most part] what you can get free. If you are short of money on your budget I would first try the antenna alone & see. You might get so many channels that you do not miss the cable. That is my opinion, but I used to work at a TV shop putting up antennas so I prefer the antenna.
post #1487 of 1999 Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

If you are considering cable, you may have a second option other than TWC. Many parts of Horry County have been overwired by Horry Telephone Cooperative (HTC), who offers the usual full slate of telecomms options, including cable, internet, IP phone, twisted pair phone, etc. Some areas now have been upgraded to a fiber-to-the-home package (apparently similar to the Motorola FIOS service, but their trade name is Bluewave) that does "everything" through a single FO connection. I don't know if HTC is in Plantation Point but a call to their office will answer that. I couldn't find a service area map on their website... http://www.htcinc.net/index.cfm

We have a second home on the old AF Base with basic HTC service and are happy with the technical quality and pricing. We don't own a common space outdoors so an OTA antenna isn't a good option for us there. And the towers are in several different directions, so a rotator or multiple antenna stack might be needed anyway. Thanks to the very flat "low country" terrain and low vegetation, a high omnidirectional OTA antenna may do very well, however.

Whichever way you go, good luck, and welcome to the Grand Strand!

Mike
post #1488 of 1999 Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
BLUEWAVE WEB SITE

Here is a link for more information:

http://htcbluewave.com/bluewave.html

I hope I can get this soon!
post #1489 of 1999 Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 PM

I disagree with what Mike said about the rotor & the omnidirectional antenna.

WBTW-CBS WHMC-ETV WPDE-ABC WFXB-FOX WWMB-CW WMBF-NBC are all in the same general direction. They are also so strong that it does need the antenna to be pointed directly at them & it does not need an really strong antenna to receive them. I can receive them with a bow tie indoor antenna inside my house. But with a in door antenna it may go in & out as you walk around in the house. I have an out door UHF & the stations are are rock soild.. I receive all those stations & do not turn the antenna. These antennas I think would do it. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=AD-SR15 or
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=MXU47
or similer is about as much as you will need. An omni may work but they need a strong signal. there are stations in Charleston SC & Wilmington SC but they are the same netowrks of the stations I listed. Unless you really want to recieive stations from those cities I do not think a rotor or a omni is needed. I know if you have the TV cable they will not receive stations from those cities from HTC or TWC.
post #1490 of 1999 Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

TDockUSC

As for a phone service I would go with Verizion. They have by far the best deal for phone & internet. They are not greedy & they do not raise your rates [as some companys do] if you do not go through them for TV signal.

But they will give you a great deal if you do go though them for Direct TV.

They are an honest company that does not get any of your Fed tax to fund their cables. They are just trying to stay alive with what they have. I have heard some angry customers that said they made a big mistake not going on verizion.
post #1491 of 1999 Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Someone told me that WMBF-NBC has started testing their broadcasts. Does anyone know what OTA they are using so I can check them out?
post #1492 of 1999 Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail2magic View Post

Someone told me that WMBF-NBC has started testing their broadcasts. Does anyone know what OTA they are using so I can check them out?

They will be over the UHF channel 32 freq. Their tower [according to the FCC] is 5 or 7 miles south east of Conway east of US 701. I thought I was receiving them the other day. But, as it turned out a HDTV NBC station up in northern NC I was receiving by the occassional TV DXing that some times happens.
post #1493 of 1999 Old 07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Channel not available

I get this very often. It will come and go. I understand it has something to do with SDV problems but for what I pay it should not be a problem!!

Last night, for example, most of the baseball package channels had the message. It did come and go but that does make it hard to watch a game.

The night before most of the HD channels above 820 had the message.

I also see it once in a while on just random channels.

Anyone else have this and/or solved it?

Thanks
post #1494 of 1999 Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Often if you switch back to the channel it will be available because it has by then been switched in.
post #1495 of 1999 Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-the-dtv-ma View Post

They will be over the UHF channel 32 freq. Their tower [according to the FCC] is 5 or 7 miles south east of Conway east of US 701. I thought I was receiving them the other day. But, as it turned out a HDTV NBC station up in northern NC I was receiving by the occassional TV DXing that some times happens.

Thanks
post #1496 of 1999 Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.

I just an article today which says that DTV will be adding HD locals here by the end of the year. I tried to post a link but it thinks I'm a spammer or something.

When that happens, would you cable folks still stay or move? If not, what's better about TWC here? Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Thanks.
post #1497 of 1999 Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody seeing a test signal from WMBF ch 32 yet?

Scott
post #1498 of 1999 Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.

I just an article today which says that DTV will be adding HD locals here by the end of the year. I tried to post a link but it thinks I'm a spammer or something.

When that happens, would you cable folks still stay or move? If not, what's better about TWC here? Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Thanks.

All the providers want to sell you all your communications sevices. The offer a deal if you have 2 or more services. TWC is going to attempt to sell you your phone service. But I feel there dissadvantage to TWC phone service. I know that the Verizon central offices have their switching equipemnt powered by 48 volt batteries. The batteries of cource are powered by a 220 volt ac charger/power supply. Also they have a generator with a 500 gallon propane gas tank behind the building for power in case their is a power outage. In Myrtle Beach we do have power outages & hurricanes. TWC could not tell me that their phones would work in a long power outage. I know that in such a time with Verizion you will have a dial tone on your phone. TWC would not say their phone system would. In Myrtle Beach the power can be out for days.

Thus I would go with Verizion, phone wire line with a dsL & with the direct TV. I too get a UHF antenna to receive my local channels. I would have the antenna because it will still receive the TV signals even with every thing else is out. All of the TV stations al have generators so they will be on the air when the TV cable is out. If you put your antenna in the attic I would buy a small 12 db indoor single out put port amp like at K mart. I would put it in the attic right under the antenna. You can hook as many digital TVs as you want to it.

I have been here when we have hurricanes sitting in the TV dark because the cable at my folks was out. If you have your phgone through the TV cable it will be out too. In such times the cell phones are so overl loaded you can not make or receive calls too.
post #1499 of 1999 Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

For those with Directv this September the Florence Myrtle Beach area should be getting their Locals in HD from their new satellite D11.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=1620002
post #1500 of 1999 Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:

WMBF is on the air with only a station id card steady on the screen. I do not know if this is an aux low power transmitter or the high power. I am so close I can not tell. MY RCA HD TV does not have a signal level meter. I have not hooked up my other dtv box to make a measurement. I need to connect my signal db meter to make a true measurement.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page