post #2011 of 2022 Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
No, 43.4 MeTv is 16:9 Widescreen. As for 43.1 They should not be. Your receiver should be following the AFD code to throw it to 16:9 letterbox in a 4:3 frame. There is an exception with one or two local shows that are delivered to us stretched by the paying customer.
Hello Bob, long time. When I'm watching 43.4 MeTv my information bar tells me it's in 16 x 9 and I have my TV set at the 16 x 9 four SD material as it has been for quite a while (my television doesn't have auto aspect ratio for SD material). But as of lately all the shows on MeTV seem to be stretched and zoomed. For example, Saturday night I like to watch "Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Star Trek and the Svengoolie movies". All of them appeared zoomed and stretched to fill the screen. Yet my TV is set to 16 x 9 and your information bar showed us the signal as being 16 x 9. As I write this I'm looking at "Perry Mason" and the picture is not a 4 x 3 image with black bars on both sides. It is actually filling the screen. If I set my TV aspect ratio two 4 x 3 it adds the black bars for me but then the image looks squeeze a little bit horizontally like it is stretched vertically. If I set my TV back to 16 x 9 the image filled the screen but they do not look fat which means that it must be zoomed in cropping off the top and bottom a little from what I can tell. Sometimes I can pick up WRAZ Fox 50 out of Raleigh and they have MeTV on 50.2 and I was catching it one evening a couple days ago and I compared the image of theirs to yours. They broadcast a 4 x 3 picture and with my TV set to 16 x 9 to stretch it out to fill the screen they were showing slightly more picture information at the top and bottom than 43.4 is showing on my television. I'm not sure what's happening. I'm guessing it's the MeTV network doing this and not you. That was my assumption all along. I just wanted to confirm if anybody else was seeing what I was seeing.

Last edited by Daryl L; 12-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2022 Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks for the detailed update DL, I have asked Doug @ WFXB to take a close look at this, Standby.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2013 of 2022 Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Thanks for the detailed update DL, I have asked Doug @ WFXB to take a close look at this, Standby.
Thanks Bob! No rush. I was just curious.
post #2014 of 2022 Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Bob,

Just checked 43.4 and looking at Adam 12 right now and they have the black sidebars on it again now. Looks like it's been corrected.

Last edited by Daryl L; 12-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #2015 of 2022 Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just checked out 43.4. It looks normal on one TV, and on another TV it has black bars when I put it on Wide mode. I don't see that on MeTV 10.2 or MeTV 7.3 - Atmosphere allowing good skip tonight is why I can see 43.4 and 10.2
post #2016 of 2022 Old 12-02-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi jspENC,

On Fox 43.4 they are sending a 16 x 9 image so the TV should be set in a wide mode (16 x 9) and any material that has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio they add black bars to the side instead of stretching it out so is displayed in its original aspect ratio. On another Fox network out of Raleigh they send a 4 x 3 image for any material they broadcast that has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio is stretched to fill the screen so you have to set your television to the 4 x 3 mode so the TV does not stretch but adds black bars to the sides if you want to watch it in its original aspect ratio.

For a few days for some reason 43.4 was stretching there 4 x 3 material but yesterday it was corrected and now it is displaying in its original aspect ratio with black bars on the sides like it'd been doing before.

Last edited by Daryl L; 12-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #2017 of 2022 Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Hi jspENC,

On Fox 43.3 they are sending a 16 x 9 image so the TV should be set in a wide mode (16 x 9) and any material that has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio they add black bars to the side instead of stretching it out so is displayed in its original aspect ratio. On another Fox network out of Raleigh they send a 4 x 3 image for any material they broadcast that has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio is stretched to fill the screen so you have to set your television to the 4 x 3 mode so the TV does not stretch but adds black bars to the sides if you want to watch it in its original aspect ratio.

For a few days for some reason 43.3 was stretching there 4 x 3 material but yesterday it was corrected and now it is displaying in its original aspect ratio with black bars on the sides like it'd been doing before.
Thanks Daryl, that explains it for me on aspect ratio. However, when I tune to 43.3, I see a weather station!
post #2018 of 2022 Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
MeTv is 43.4, however 43.3 Wx is 16:9 as well, it is actually sourced/downconverted from WFXB's HD Wx system.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2019 of 2022 Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

My apologies guys! I was referring to 43.4 but I kept typing 43.3. I went back and edited my posts to reflect the correct channel number. Again sorry for the confusion. I'm getting old and senile now.

But anyway yes, 43.3 MeTV is now displayed in the proper aspect ratio as before.
post #2020 of 2022 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I'm coming to Myrtle Beach (the south end almost at Surfside) next month and know already the condo we are staying in has a horrid SD TV. I'm bringing along a decent sized portable TV with me since we enjoy sleeping with a TV on at night anyway. My question is will a portable antenna pick up the broadcast stations in that area? I'm assuming I need an amplified indoor antenna to even have a chance? Looking for some advice from those in the area. I'm guessing nothing would be available via QAM from TWC?
I am sure you will get a few digital tv channels with a digital tv or an analog tv with an dtv converter box; Because WMBF on rf ch 32 is just a few miles away from your location. But the other stations depend on how high [ Like ground level or 2nd floor] you are, what buildings are around you or are you like right on the ocean front & finally which side of the building you window is facing. I have seen some folks in on the ocean front with a window with a view down the south receive all the Charleston SC stations. On the other hand I have seen folks with a window facing North receive all of the Full power stations from Wilmington NC. But in both cases they had trouble getting the VHF stations from Florence for CBS for the MB area because the signal did not go through wall of the building
post #2021 of 2022 Old Today, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your condo in on the TWC Hotel Loop, you will get only analog SD and no QAM. My folks have TWC phone and the lowest tear of basic TV locals in analog but clear QAM works to get all the local channels in HD.
post #2022 of 2022 Unread Today, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Wilmington FOX has Grit TV on 26.3 and Escape on 6.3 now; both are pretty good channels. I know Horry county and maybe Marion should be able to tune into these.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page