Myrtle Beach, SC - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1999 Old 08-14-2004, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my HDTV and TWCSC upgraded my dvr to the dvr hd one. I don't think they have everything setup right so a tech is returning next week. Am very pleased with the channels I have but like others am hoping to see many more soon. Will also be nice when we see channel info listed for ETV-2 - channel 802. It is the only channel that never has any info on what is showing or what might be showing later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1999 Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM

Thanks Diana

I now have everything working super. The TWCSC techs along with the help of one of the AVS Forum members now have my tv, 8000hd and go video combo dvd recorder/vhs all setup properly.
post #183 of 1999 Old 08-19-2004, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonderful - enjoy!

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
post #184 of 1999 Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Diana,

Any hope that ABC and/or CBS will be available in Florence in HD by the time the NFL season starts?

I watched the Colts play the Jets tonight on ESPN, very poor resolution because ESPN is on an analog station as you know. But the Colts play only one regular season game on ESPN, so I can bare with it.

On Thursday night, September 9th on ABC, my Colts play the Patriots to open the regular season. ABC here in Florence is not even HD over the air, so I would have to get it from Columbia OTA. CBS is broadcasting in HD already, but not on TWCSC. Colts play on CBS most of the time.

Are there negotiations with CBS or ABC in the Florence DMA?

Any CBS, ABC, or Fox updates?
post #185 of 1999 Old 08-22-2004, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Good Morning,

Negotiations are on-going with all Network affiliates who have an HD feed available. I do not have any information beyond that though.

Enjoy your weekend,
Diana

Diana Smith
post #186 of 1999 Old 08-23-2004, 07:26 AM

Am hoping that our local sations CBS station WBTW and ABC station WPDE Hi Def broadcasts will be added to the Time Warner lineup soon They both told me that they broadcast in HD.

Fingers crossed that you are negotiating with them too.

Thanks
post #187 of 1999 Old 08-23-2004, 09:27 AM

I could be wrong, so correct me. WPDE is broadcasting in DTV and WBTW is broadcasting in HDTV. What do we know about Fox WFXB? Will they be broadcasting HDTV on September 12, 2004? If so, I guess another antenna pointed at the beach is in order since the columbia Fox channel is broadcasting at very low power.

Florence has a bizzare HDTV reception.
ABC, no TWCSC, OTA in DTV in Florence, OTA in HDTV over VHF in Columbia.
CBS, no TWCSC, OTA in HDTV in Florence or Columbia.
NBC, TWCSC channel 805, OTA in HDTV in Columbia.
FOX, no TWCSC, OTA in HDTV(maybe) in Myrtle Beach, low power in Columbia.
PBS, TWCSC channel 800, OTA in HDTV in Sumter, OTA in DTV in Florence.

Solution for HDTV for all 5 networks with least amount of equipment:
ABC: VHF aimed at Columbia.
CBS: UHF aimed at Columbia.
NBC: Same UHF aimed at Columbia.
PBS: Same UHF aimed a Columbia, only 20 degrees seperation, aim between?
FOX: Another UHF aimed at Myrtle Beach.

If you aim a silver surfer at the Florence towers in Dillion, 30 miles away, you only get CBS in HDTV, so why not just get CBS out of Columbia instead of the extra antenna?

If you used a QAM plus OTA receiver like the LG 4200A, you could get PBS and NBC from TWCSC, aim a VHF at Columbia for ABC, a UHF at Florence for CBS, and a UHF at Myrtle Beach for FOX. This would get you the 5 networks.

If TWCSC would jsut give us all five, it would save lots of money. But it doesn't look like the networks are cooperating with them.

WB and UPN are just not worth watching, IMHO.

Your thoughts and corrections are requested.
post #188 of 1999 Old 08-23-2004, 03:12 PM

WWMB-DT(20) UPN hasn't broadcast in over a month, so you can count that one out for the time being.
At least they got the ABC transmitter going again, it was off for weeks!
post #189 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 AM
rcp

Does anyone have experience getting a waiver from Channel 13 so as to get the HDTV signal from DirecTV? I live in Laurinburg, which is in the "market" for ch. 13, but they've aimed their transmission away from this city toward the beach and we can't get any digital signal. It's frustrating not to get high def CBS.

Also, does anybody know their plans as to when they'll boost the signal to full power and aim it this direction?
post #190 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM

Will be nice when Florence-Myrtle Beach have CBS and ABC HD on TWC.
The Columbia TWC customers get both of them.

As we say down south, are we the *red-headed* step children?
Am just teasing lol. Seriously, I do hope they add them to our lineup soon.
post #191 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry for the perception, but Network Affiliates are either Owned and Operated by the main broadcast group, ie NBC (National Broadcasting Corporation), ABC (American Broadcasting Corporation), etc. or they are franchasied out kinda like a McDonalds.

In the case of both Columbia and Florence-Myrtle Beach DMAs the Broadcast Affiliates are franchised to different companies. So, even though it seems very goofy, the fact that we have a contract with one ABC or CBS franchised affilate doesn't have anything to do with our negotiations with another franchised affiliate. They are two entirely different companys.

NBC worked out for Columbia and Florence-Myrtle Beach because WIS applied for and received Significantly Viewed status in the FMB DMA from the FCC.

Diana Smith
post #192 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM

After another conversation on the golf course, a well-known physican in the community stopped by my house to see my HDTV setup. He was impressed by the clearity and sound broadcasting the Olympics and DiscoveryHD. I disconnected my 3100HD box and took it to his house. I connected it to his Panasonic HDTV that he has not been using to receive HDTV, just analog cable. He was impressed how good his TV could look.

He is supposed to call TWCSC and get a box sent out to him. But he wants the same deal I have, I wonder if the CSR will allow him to get it. Broadcast cable and HDTV channels in the 800 range for ~$16 per month. Yes he does have roadrunner and the Cable tier currently. But he wants to drop the Cable tier, saving him $37.50 and add the cable box $9.95.

Diana, will he get the run around?
Or will the CSR know how to set him up on Broadcast and Broadcast HDTV?
If he has trouble, can I have him email you and have you take a look at his account?

Thanks.

FWIW, this doctor had Best Buy connect a new progressive scan Sony DVD player to his HDTV and Sony Surround sound receiver. Well you guessed it, composite video all the way around. Why would they ever use yellow for video and red and white for audio? I pulled out some Component video cables and a digital audio cable and hooked it up for him. He inserted a DVD and the blue light for Dolby lighted up fot the first time ever. The progressive scan video picture came on, WOW, he said.
post #193 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 AM

Thanks Diana for the clarification.
post #194 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FloCobra
After another conversation on the golf course, a well-known physican in the community stopped by my house to see my HDTV setup. He was impressed by the clearity and sound broadcasting the Olympics and DiscoveryHD. I disconnected my 3100HD box and took it to his house. I connected it to his Panasonic HDTV that he has not been using to receive HDTV, just analog cable. He was impressed how good his TV could look.

He is supposed to call TWCSC and get a box sent out to him. But he wants the same deal I have, I wonder if the CSR will allow him to get it. Broadcast cable and HDTV channels in the 800 range for ~$16 per month. Yes he does have roadrunner and the Cable tier currently. But he wants to drop the Cable tier, saving him $37.50 and add the cable box $9.95.

Diana, will he get the run around?
Or will the CSR know how to set him up on Broadcast and Broadcast HDTV?
If he has trouble, can I have him email you and have you take a look at his account?

Thanks.

FWIW, this doctor had Best Buy connect a new progressive scan Sony DVD player to his HDTV and Sony Surround sound receiver. Well you guessed it, composite video all the way around. Why would they ever use yellow for video and red and white for audio? I pulled out some Component video cables and a digital audio cable and hooked it up for him. He inserted a DVD and the blue light for Dolby lighted up fot the first time ever. The progressive scan video picture came on, WOW, he said.

He should not get a run-around, but certainly I'm available if needed.

HOWEVER, since he already has Road Runner and Basic Cable, he can upgrade to the Speed of Light Package with an HD Converter and get Digital with 144 more channels than he has right now for just $7.25 more than he's paying right now. This is the best value package we have available and then he wouldn't lose any channels.

Diana Smith
post #195 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Thanks Diana, I called him and let him know about the "Speed of Light" package.
post #196 of 1999 Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you - that was very generous.

Diana Smith
post #197 of 1999 Old 09-02-2004, 07:28 PM

Hello Diana et al,

The TWCSC subcontractor came to my doctor friend's house today. He brought with him a SA3250HD. (All I have is the old 3100HD.) He spent a long 20 minutes telling about all the features and channels. He then confirmed with Doc that he wanted broadcast and HDTV local channels. Yes, then Doc signed the work order and the installer called Columbia to confirm the order. I read the pink sheet that Doc signed. $9.95 for the HDTV box, $5.66 for the broadcast cable, and a $.99 fee for somekind of assurance plan he doesn't need.

The installer did some work on the roadside box and called to see if everything was working correctly. It all looks fine; clear on 2-12 and 800-845. Well, guess what. Some additional channels are also being received, 901, 902, 921, 922. 4 HDTV channels that he doesn't mind getting, but dont want to pay for. Also channels 103-285 of the digital tier was loud and clear.

Diana can you make sure he wont be billed for anything except broadcast and the box rental. Please PM me and I will give you his information from his pink sheet.

Thanks.
post #198 of 1999 Old 09-10-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

ESPN HD is now available on the TWC HD Tier Channel 950

- the deal was just signed - authorization is in progress - so it will come on the air sometime this evening (sorry I can't be more precise than that)

No information will show up on the Guide until Tuesday, September 14th.

Customer's who currently subscribe to the HD Tier will automatically receive this channel. Customer's who wish to ad the HD Tier should call 866-TWC-SC01, the addition of this service can be done over the phone.

Diana Smith
post #199 of 1999 Old 09-10-2004, 04:22 PM

That is great news. Just checked it out and it is coming thru great here.
post #200 of 1999 Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah - I just got home and turned it on.... I think it looks pretty good.

Enjoy

Diana Smith
post #201 of 1999 Old 09-15-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just inncase nobody has noticed. WPDE-DT 15-1(16-1) ABC is now passing through the national ABC HD feed but still no DD5.1 yet.

WWMB 21-1 has been off-air for several weeks now. Anybody heard anything?
post #202 of 1999 Old 09-19-2004, 03:16 PM

Some possible good news for the Florence-Myrtle Beach DMA. Billy Huggins, the vp and general manager for WPDE, the ABC affiliate in Florence, thinks they may be close to a deal with TWC to carry the digital station. Now before getting too excited, I have no idea if TWC also thinks they are close to a deal. I know they have supposedly been close with WCIV in Charleston for 9 months now, but still no deal. I would encourage everyone in the Florence-Myrtle Beach DMA to let Mr. Huggins (whuggins@wpde.com ) know you are interested in getting their digital channel on TWC and hopefully TWC will be willing to go the extra mile to work out this deal. I am happy that we now have espn-hd and I think Diana also does a great job. However, I just think it is a disservice to the subscribers in the Florence-MB DMA that we are not able to watch Monday night Football and the ABC shows/sitcoms in high def. Maybe this will change soon.
post #203 of 1999 Old 09-19-2004, 03:26 PM

I read on the Columbia thread that TW was in negotiations with WPDE. Hopefully Mr. Huggins is right. I will for sure email him. Thank you
Wish we had more people in our area that knew about this forum.
Maybe they will start negotiating someday soon with WBTW too. Would be awesome to be able to have them both.
post #204 of 1999 Old 09-19-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

foz32,

He didn't happen to comment why WWMB 21-1(20-1) has been off air for a few weeks did he?
post #205 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 AM

Anyone have any ideas on how to spread the word about the Florence/Myrtle Beach forum for our area.
I know there are lots out there that might enjoy knowing about the updates. I think it would also encourage more to use Time Warner hd options.

Wouldn't it be nice if Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears mentioned us to new hdtv owners or Time Warner mentioned it to people who switch to HD....lol. I don't see any of that happening but would be great to get this area as busy as the Columbia one.

I posted this yesterday in the wrong area lol. A guy suggested making up cards and passing them out at Circuit City. I am home bound and can't do that but it sure was a good idea.
post #206 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I do tell my HD customers with questions about the Forum, but most of my HD customers have been members a lot longer than me.

I don't think we can legitimately endorse anything like this forum in official correspondence, at least not without getting legal approval on verbage, which would be red tape.

Diana Smith
post #207 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the update on WPDE. I did email Mr. Huggins and told him how much lots of people including myself would love to have WPDE added to TWC.
He emailed me back that he thought the deal would be finalized this week....fingers crossed I know it is not a done deal until both sides have everything worked out.
post #208 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 06:58 AM

Thanks Diana
I think TWCSC and you are doing a super job already. Hopefully, we can all spread the word more locally. Was not trying to add more work to your job. I had not thought thru how that would be difficult on your part. Appreciate all your help.
post #209 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 AM

I emailed Mr. Huggins also:

Quote:
We are waiting on Time Warner. We have the only full power HD ABC signal in the market and the staff at Time Warner has not sent the contract. We work with staff out of Columbia and I know they have a lot of markets to work on but if you talk to your local Time Warner office it will help. Thanks, Billy

Not as positive as above.
post #210 of 1999 Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe TWC is waiting on WPDE-DT to get organized. Their not passing the ABC DD5.1 audio yet and lastnight they only showed the 4x3 upconverted video feed of MNF.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page