HDMI/Computer connection - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down HDMI/Computer connection

I am trying to connect my pc desktop to my TV/monitor via the HDMI connection. I choose the input and the screen is flickering like crazy which is eyesore and then a message appears 'does not support this mode". I checked the resolution section of Win 7 and it only shows the monitor that it was connected originally..vga. and the top resolution shown was 1360 x 768. I do not have a graphic card. I have the integrated video that came with my new build. Could that be the reason it won't work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Boothbay, What brand is your cpu and what is the model? Intel or AMD. What brand and model is the TV? I will try to help you but need this info before I can start. You might want to try another HDMI cable just to make sure that is not the problem.

It used to be wine, women, and song. Now it's beer, the wife, and TV.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Mister View Post
Boothbay, What brand is your cpu and what is the model? Intel or AMD. What brand and model is the TV? I will try to help you but need this info before I can start. You might want to try another HDMI cable just to make sure that is not the problem.
AMD A10 7850K recently bought back last April 2014 for my first build. TV is the Insignia 22" now being used with vga connection.

Last edited by Boothbay; 02-01-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-02-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry for the late response. I would connect via hdmi. VGA will be picture only, no sound. You can run hdmi to tv and still use your pc speakers if you want. To get the monitor to be seen by your pc, right click anywhere on the main screen and select screen resolution. On the next screen, select detect. Your tv should appear next to Display. if not, select it and click on OK. You should be good to go. The problem why your are getting the error is the vga resolution is not supported by the tv. Check your owners manual to see available resolutions. Hope his helps.

It used to be wine, women, and song. Now it's beer, the wife, and TV.

Last edited by Twisted Mister; 02-02-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 499
You can use the arguably superior AMD (graphics ) controller package and GUI to detect your display and set-resolution and other display properties /adjustments and adjust any scaling if need be instead of Windows you should see it in Programs it will say something like ATI ,Radon or AMD Catalyst or AMD Omega .or search those terms in win File Explorer to find the graphics controller GUI. Depending on your set it should detected it as a generic monitor
or flat panel TV if it isn't in the EIDE data .

Definitely use HDMI to the TV . VGA severely limits your picture adjustment features in the TV and HDMI provides a cleaner digital to digital signal path .

If you don't have AMD Catalyst graphics controller + driver package installed head over to AMD you can install AMD Catalyst 12XX or later for your APU or any AMD/ATI /Radeon chipset 6xxx and up graphics card any version should work lots more control and adj features with that .

link : http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...Windows+7+-+64

Your TV should support 760 x 1366 @ 60 Hz (720P) or as an alternative for *some* 720P TV sets prefer 1280 x 720 @60Hz.

You can also override the EIDE and send your TV a custom resolution of 1440 x 950 or even 1920 x 1080

*Some 720P sets scale the desktop and size the icons better at those resolutions particularly more often
1440 x 950 with some minor scaling on a lot of 720P sets . You can even do that in Windows .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 02-02-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Gear in this thread - 7850K by PriceGrabber.com