HDTV on Cable: Where, Who, What, How Much? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #391 of 400 Old 12-03-2003, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wide Open West (WOW! Internet and Cable) now offers HDTV in all of their viewing areas here in Illinois as well as Michigan. Also Cleveland and Colombus, Ohio. There are so many suburbs and towns around here I can't list them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 400 Old 12-03-2003, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rao74311
Wide Open West (WOW! Internet and Cable) now offers HDTV in all of their viewing areas here in Illinois as well as Michigan. Also Cleveland and Colombus, Ohio. There are so many suburbs and towns around here I can't list them all.
I just got my box from WOW updated for HD, but they as yet have few channels. Just NBC/CBS and HBO, and I don't subscribe to HBO and 4 and 10 are the two channels that come in with no trouble by antenna.

Until they add ABC/FOX/WB/UPN, it's pretty worthless to me, since other than ABC, I can't get the others to lock in with my bowtie.

-- Scott
post #393 of 400 Old 12-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Ken,

I can confirm Rao's comment about WOW in Cleveland, OH. HD is up and running in the Cleveland Market.

I also received the following email from our local Adelphia cable rep stating that HD is up and running. I know of one person who is scheduled for an HD install from Adelphia on Saturday.

"Hello everyone,
I apologize for sending this email as my 1st contact to you, however I have not been able to talk to you via phone. In response to the inquiries you sent to our offices regarding HDTV, I am happy to announce that you will be given the opportunity to be one of the first to subscribe to our service. Currently we only have 4 channels that broadcast in HD which are ABC, NBC, HBO and Showtime. We are working on obtaining the rest. Because you inquired about this service first, you will be given a 2 month promotional offer of $3.50 per month. This new box will replace your old digital box ( @$3.50 per month) thus this service is free for 2 months. There is no charge for ABC or NBC, but you must subscribe to HBO or Showtime to receive the HD feed. After the two month promotion, the price for the HD equipment will go to $8.95 per month and hopefully the balance of the HD programming will be in place. Please call 216-575-8000 for additional information in regards to having a technician come to your home to install the equipment (no charge) or for you to pick up the equipment at one of our payment centers.

Thank you for your patience
Steve Marshall
Marketing Coordinator "
post #394 of 400 Old 12-03-2003, 07:56 PM

Just got Adelphia HD installed Monday in Mt. Lebanon, PA. Suburb of Pittsburgh. I only have the 4 channels mentioned in the previous post, ABC, NBC, HBO and Showtime. I was the second install in the area for the installer.
post #395 of 400 Old 12-04-2003, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just signed up for WOW HD cable here in Ferndale MI, mostly out of curiosity. I'm sheduled for installation 12-17.

Their web page (www.wideopenwest.com ) now says that HD is available in all areas. (WOW areas)

Unlike what they told be previously when I posted to the other (now closed) cable HD thread WOW does NOT now require you to sign up for digital cable. I had emailed them the FCC's comments on this, so maybe that helped.

I'm an analog and Internet customer only and the cost for me will be an extra $15 / month, which includes the box rental. It would have been only an additional $7 / mo if I already had digital cable.

So far they only have ABC, NBC, PBS, Fox??, and optionally HBO. I added the HBO for an extra $10 / month. The rep says that he was told there were 10 HBO channels, 1 in HD, and that up to 75% of the content on the other HBO channels will also be in HD. I'll wait and see on that one. ;)

I directed them to this forum since they are actively researching which other HD channels to pursue next. I had no particular luck convincing them to carry that new Playboy HD Spice channel. ;)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #396 of 400 Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
North American cable companies that offer HDTV, by state / province and local area.

USA

HA
Hilo - Oceanic TWC
Honolulu - Oceanic TWC
Kauai- Oceanic TWC
Kona - Oceanic TWC
Maui - Oceanic TWC
Oahu - Oceanic TWC
Aloha Ken. Just a friendly note to let you know that Hawaii is abbreviated HI not HA. Thanks for the list!
post #397 of 400 Old 12-04-2003, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Yawny
Aloha Ken. Just a friendly note to let you know that Hawaii is abbreviated HI not HA. Thanks for the list!
Got it! Thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #398 of 400 Old 12-05-2003, 03:12 PM

I just found out that Adelphia HD is available in my area of Vermont, Brattleboro. They don't have much of a lineup, ABC out of Manchester and NBC out of Boston HBO and Showtime HD. The csr told me Espn would be available soon. That's not much, but it's a start. If they add CBS I think I'll make the leap from Dish. I need to have CBS for the super bowl!!

I was told that you need a minimum of the silver pak to get the hd stuff.
Does that sound right?

Anyone getting HD thru Adelphia in other areas? What do you think?
post #399 of 400 Old 12-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the HD box today here in Cleveland, OH. We have the same channels you mentioned in your post. Got the same info from the marketing director in my area that they will add channels as they get them. The PQ of HBOHD was equal to what I get on DirecTv. Only difference I see is the PQ on NBC that I get OTA is better than Adelphia's NBCHD channel...but it's still good, just not as good as OTA.
post #400 of 400 Old 12-05-2003, 04:12 PM

I have an appointment on 12/8 for Adelphia to install my hd cable box here in (West) Boca Raton, FL. They are charging $30 for the tech to come out to install it. The first two months are $3.75 (I think) for the box. After that, it I think they said $8.

No fee yet for the service. I am an ultimate package subscriber, and they haven't negotiated with all the available providers, so there is no package yet, just HBO(I haven't seen this in the channel guide yet), Showtime, and some local channels.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page