Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 5534 Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in Cumming, so I have all the old adelphia crap too. I had a a technician at the house this past summer, and he flat out told me there were no plans to update any of the old adelphia equipment (scientific atlanta) to the motorollas. I asked if there was any chance we would at least get the normal comcast on screen guide, instead of the old adelphia on screen guide. No dice there, either.

I thought things seemed fishy when Comcast bought out Adelphia, yet they just reused Adelphia's old equipment. But hey, at least I got a Comcast remote!

So for all of us stuck in the old Adelphia territory, it looks like we are going to stay behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5534 Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 AM

I remember why I originally came here. I see some new HD channels in the lineup. In no particular order:

WeHD
planet green HD
qvc HD
BET HD
CMT HD
GMC HD
E! HD
STL HD
Fox Business HD
TWC HD
VH1 HD
MTV HD
Tru TV HD
Comedy Central HD
Bravo HD
G4 HD
MGM HD
LMN HD
IFC HD
Encore HD

And I also have all HD channels for my movie packages, HBO , Starz, Showtime.

Where did all these channels come from?
post #5133 of 5534 Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when did these new channels show up? Today? Where are you located in Cumming? I know they said xfinity is available but it is a neighboorhood by neighborhood rollout.
post #5134 of 5534 Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Today is the first day I have noticed them.

I looked up my channel lineup on Comcast.com, and it doesn't match what I am receiving on my box.
post #5135 of 5534 Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 AM
MKK

Without fanfare, pre-warning, or a "thanks for being a second class customer for so long" we have new HD channels. (see post above from vmo23 for details) This NEVER should have taken this long. Now please step up and give us remote access and multi-room DVR as well as a screen guide that doesn't look like it is DOS based. I will settle for the ability to use my iPad as a remote.

Here are the new channels:

All Channels now available:
817 - WE HD
818 - Green Planet HD
819 - Biography HD
820 - QVC HD
821 - ESPN News HD
822 - CBS College Sports HDTV
824 - Big Ten Network HD
825 - BET HD
826 - CMT HD
828 - E! HD
829 - Style HD
831 - Fox Business HD
832 - The Weather Channel HD
836 - CNBC HD
837 - Fox News HD
843 - FX HD
851 - VH1 HD
853 - MTV HD
855 - Lifetime HD
860 - Travel HD
862 - Cartoon Network HD
863 - Nickelodeon HD
866 - Disney Extreme HD
868 - Comedy Central HD
871 - TVONE HD
872 - Bravo HD
873 - Fuse HD
875 - Speed HD
876 - G4 HD
878 - Spike HD
881 - NHL Network
882 - NBA TV HD
894 - MGM HD
896 - Hallmark HD
897 - Lifetime Movies HD
898 - IFC HD
899 - Encore HD
post #5136 of 5534 Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmo23 View Post
I remember why I originally came here. I see some new HD channels in the lineup. In no particular order:

WeHD
planet green HD
qvc HD
BET HD
CMT HD
GMC HD
E! HD
STL HD
Fox Business HD
TWC HD
VH1 HD
MTV HD
Tru TV HD
Comedy Central HD
Bravo HD
G4 HD
MGM HD
LMN HD
IFC HD
Encore HD

And I also have all HD channels for my movie packages, HBO , Starz, Showtime.

Where did all these channels come from?

Are these in the 800's? I ask because just from memory it did not seem to be enough unused numbers left for all of these.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #5137 of 5534 Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Yes these have shown up at my location as well. They are in the 800's. What is kindof dumb is that all the HD channels in the 200's are still on. And we still have the old comcast menu guides. new channels but no xfinity
post #5138 of 5534 Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Yep, in the 800's as mentioned by lovswr.

All of my HD movie channels start at 701. If I didn't look around I would have been watching the ole SD ones in the 300s.
post #5139 of 5534 Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 AM

They have dropped all analog channels above 30 in N Bartow County.
post #5140 of 5534 Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartgera View Post

Yes these have shown up at my location as well. They are in the 800's. What is kindof dumb is that all the HD channels in the 200's are still on. And we still have the old comcast menu guides. new channels but no xfinity

Received some mail from Comcast today.

"As a Comcast Digital TV customer, you rely on your On-Screen Program Guide to help you find the programming you want to watch -- quickly and easily. But you told us you wanted an even better experience. Well, we heard you.

We continue to enhance and upgrade our services to give you the best possible experience, period. And that's why we're proud to introduce a brand new, brighter, bolder On-Screen Program Guide, coming soon to your TV. And yes, it's that good."

No exact date is given, though

http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Also included was a $5.99 coupon for an On Demand movie.
post #5141 of 5534 Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy, folks. Catching back up on this thread after a looooooong absence (last summer?) because I've got my Moto DCT-3416 down to zero recordings and want to use the opportunity to swap it out for the teh new hotness. When last I poked around, the DCX-3400 was rolling out but people were having some issues with it. Is that still the box I should be asking for or is the DCX-3501-M in evidence anywhere around Atlanta now?

EDIT: A few more questions:

1) I know we can ostensibly exchange DVRs ourselves by swinging by a Comcast office (even though on the site it says the only thing you can do there is pick up an analog converter box or pay bills). Are they going to give me any hassle if I just walk in asking for a new box?

2) I'm on the Stone Mountain head end in Decatur. Is 2079-A South Hairston Rd., Decatur, GA 30035 the office I need to go to?

3) Do I need to bring my current box or can I pick up the new box first and bring the current one back after I confirm the new one works?

4) With the advent of Xfinity, online DVR management, et al, do I need to hand copy all of my DVR scheduling info/settings before unplugging my current box, or is that information in the cloud, able to be redeployed on the new box automatically?
post #5142 of 5534 Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
MKK

Like vmo23 I got the mailing today. Thanks for the heads up on the free movie, because I normally throw this marketing stuff away before opening.

The FAQ says: "The Guide will be launched on a rolling basis, market by market, continuing though this year." So given their track record here in Cumming I am thinking December 32nd for us!

You get an alpha search capability and some new pre-configured sorts for your DVR library. You can get alpha search now with their iPhone/iPad apps already.

I want remote access programming. I am paying the same amount of money every month as those who have it.
post #5143 of 5534 Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

1) I know we can ostensibly exchange DVRs ourselves by swinging by a Comcast office (even though on the site it says the only thing you can do there is pick up an analog converter box or pay bills). Are they going to give me any hassle if I just walk in asking for a new box?

2) I'm on the Stone Mountain head end in Decatur. Is 2079-A South Hairston Rd., Decatur, GA 30035 the office I need to go to?

3) Do I need to bring my current box or can I pick up the new box first and bring the current one back after I confirm the new one works?

4) With the advent of Xfinity, online DVR management, et al, do I need to hand copy all of my DVR scheduling info/settings before unplugging my current box, or is that information in the cloud, able to be redeployed on the new box automatically?

First, I haven't seen or heard any reports of 3501s in ATL that I can recall. As to your questions:

1) They should not hassle you, and at this point, the DCX-3400 should be the box that they have on the shelf to trade when you walk in, but call ahead before you unplug your DVR.

2) No impact, no idea

3) I emptied my old DCT, called ahead to my "local office" to see that they had a 3400 on the shelf and then took the DCT with me to trade. They made no guarantee over the phone, but said that they should have one. They did not have one available, so I called customer service, told them that the local office couldn't support my request, and asked them to ship a DCX 3400 to me. They did, and once I received it, I returned the DCT to the local office. I ended up paying a prorated fee for one day of overlap having 2 boxes before I could return the DCT.

4) I believe you lose everything in the exchange, so you would want to write it down, screen cap it, or take pics of your settings/DVR programs before you turn in your old box. If Comcast was at all interested in portability or using cloud tech, it probably wouldn't take 2 days to populate the guide after a reset.

Your best first bet would be to call Comcast. You may get lucky and catch someone who knows what they're talking about. Otherwise, it might be helpful to use basic terminology to be understood. So, DCT3416 = Old grey DVR box. DCX3400 = New black DVR box. That was the only way I got any answers out of the local office, and they still tried to give me a DCT 34XX as a trade.
post #5144 of 5534 Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I'll try and swap it out on Saturday. Are these generally coming with 240 gb HDs or 320? Is it worth asking specifically for the larger one when I get to the office?
post #5145 of 5534 Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I'll try and swap it out on Saturday. Are these generally coming with 240 gb HDs or 320? Is it worth asking specifically for the larger one when I get to the office?

Not sure what's out there now, but I got a 320 a year or so ago. Try asking the question, but don't be surprised if you get a blank stare, or possibly annoyance in return. You can check the label on the bottom of the box they give you for HDD size, but I doubt they would let you trade for another one to get a bigger size.

In the process, you may want to avoid returning the old remote if you don't have to. The new remotes that come with the 3400 need to be reprogrammed in order to get the 30 sec. skip and other handy function buttons to work. I only remember that now, because the CS rep that received my return unit threw the remote over her shoulder in the general direction of a box sitting on the floor. If they are that important for Comcast to have back, you might as well keep it.
post #5146 of 5534 Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

Not sure what's out there now, but I got a 320 a year or so ago. Try asking the question, but don't be surprised if you get a blank stare, or possibly annoyance in return. You can check the label on the bottom of the box they give you for HDD size, but I doubt they would let you trade for another one to get a bigger size.

In the process, you may want to avoid returning the old remote if you don't have to. The new remotes that come with the 3400 need to be reprogrammed in order to get the 30 sec. skip and other handy function buttons to work. I only remember that now, because the CS rep that received my return unit threw the remote over her shoulder in the general direction of a box sitting on the floor. If they are that important for Comcast to have back, you might as well keep it.

Remote means about as much to me since I've been using a Harmony 880 for almost five years now and long ago banished the Comcast one to the back of a drawer.

Not that I plan on filling up a 240 - 320 gb HD any time soon, but out of curiosity, are external HDs viable on the DCX 3400? I think I read that eSATA externals are enabled on the DCX 3501.
post #5147 of 5534 Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Remote means about as much to me since I've been using a Harmony 880 for almost five years now and long ago banished the Comcast one to the back of a drawer.

Not that I plan on filling up a 240 - 320 gb HD any time soon, but out of curiosity, are external HDs viable on the DCX 3400? I think I read that eSATA externals are enabled on the DCX 3501.

I haven't convinced the finance committee on the Harmony yet, but I'd like one.

My 320GB DCX-3400 has been hovering at @85% for the last few weeks. Just not enough time to watch TV shows during college basketball season.

Sadly, it is apparently up to the cable company to enable/disable the eSATA/Firewire/USB ports. Comcast doesn't seem to have figured out how to profit from turning it on, so they disable the ports. The only reports I've seen of folks able to use the ports on DCT 3400s are from Canada, where you buy your own DVR and external HDD, or your cable company leases the DVR and HDD to you. Oh, Canada!
post #5148 of 5534 Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I switched from Comcast to D* over three years ago due to more HD. I'm considering switching back and getting a Ceton tuner card as my DVR. However, looking at the channel lineup on the Comcast website there seems to be a lot of HD channels missing. How wrong is the guide compared to what is actually available? I'm in Kennesaw, Cobb County.

post #5149 of 5534 Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Might be easier to answer your question if you provide specific examples of HD channels you're looking for. Personally, as of about a year ago, Comcast's HD lineup got to a point where there are really no glaring omissions I can see (except maybe HDNET). But maybe you're looking for something really niche.
post #5150 of 5534 Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Might be easier to answer your question if you provide specific examples of HD channels you're looking for. Personally, as of about a year ago, Comcast's HD lineup got to a point where there are really no glaring omissions I can see (except maybe HDNET). But maybe you're looking for something really niche.

In the 800s I only count 49 HD channels. Do they have TLC? My wife will need to watch 19+n kids and counting in HD (where n= 1kid/9months). How many are not listed in the online channel lineup? I see Nick and Science Channel HD missing and of course all the new channels in the other post on this page. Also, not that I have or will have them, but it only shows one of each movie channel in HD.

post #5151 of 5534 Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

They have all the ones you list and many more besides. I suspect the confusion may stem from the fact that you're only looking in the 800-tier. Here on the Stone Mountain head end, that is indeed where most (but not all) of them can be found, but many areas lodge HD channels all over the lineup.

By my count, Comcast offers something like 103 HD channels, (including subscription networks but excluding PPV, OnDemand, and ESPN3D). And all of the free HD OnDemand stuff adds a lot more. Of course, how many channels you can actually access will depend on what package you spring for, but in terms of availability, it's pretty much all there to be had.
post #5152 of 5534 Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Hey everyone!
I apologize if this seems a bit off-thread... but wasn't sure where else to post this request. I've posted it on the Samsung Owners thread but figured I'd try here, too.

I'll be moving soon; and the moving company requires that I pack my Samsung 50" plasma in its original packaging. Unfortunately, I threw away the original Samsung box a long time ago. Are there any folks reading this that still have their box for a 50inch TV and are looking to get rid of it?

Again, I apologize if this seems off-topic. If there is a more appropriate place to post this... or if you have any helpful suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.
post #5153 of 5534 Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Is there anyone I can talk to at Comcast to see when are they going to fix a channel mapping issue that i've had over the past month? 46-1 was remapped to point to 11-1 around the first of march, just before march madness started and now WGCL HD is no longer in the clear, or at least none of my TVs or my HTPC can find it on a virtual or real channel number. I figured they did it for the games, but it's been a few weeks now with no change.
post #5154 of 5534 Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post

Is there anyone I can talk to at Comcast to see when are they going to fix a channel mapping issue that i've had over the past month? 46-1 was remapped to point to 11-1 around the first of march, just before march madness started and now WGCL HD is no longer in the clear, or at least none of my TVs or my HTPC can find it on a virtual or real channel number. I figured they did it for the games, but it's been a few weeks now with no change.

Comcast seems to like to switch between virtual channel in this case 46.1 vs actual channel which can not be scanned 73-809. Go to this site and print off the info for further reference.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #5155 of 5534 Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having issues with Comcast in the Atlanta area trying to get them to understand what the CableCard M-Card 4 tuner card is, that is used with the Ceton infiniTV CableCard Tuner. They keep telling me this 4-tuner card doesn't exist and try to get me to sign up for a TIVO dual tuner card.

Has anyone gone through this process with Comcast? Do you still have the name of the person you were talking to or a clearer way for me to explain to them what I'm asking for?
post #5156 of 5534 Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
Just tell them you need an M-card for a Tivo, the card supports up to 6 tuners whether it's in a Tivo or a PC.
post #5157 of 5534 Old 04-16-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that would explain it. The rep kept saying the Tivo card was not a 'M-Card' as I was asking for and that it would only support 2 tuners, not 4. Thanks.
post #5158 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What are the list of BASIC Comcast channel in the Atlanta area? The one without cable box and just using the HDTV tuner.

Thanks.
post #5159 of 5534 Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
What are the list of BASIC Comcast channel in the Atlanta area? The one without cable box and just using the HDTV tuner.

Thanks.
You can no longer get basic cable without some sort of STB, either the HDTV tuner or the SD DTA boxes supplied by them. You can however get local TV stations. See my link above in post 5154 for those channels.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #5160 of 5534 Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

You can no longer get basic cable without some sort of STB, either the HDTV tuner or the SD DTA boxes supplied by them. You can however get local TV stations. See my link above in post 5154 for those channels.

Yes, that is what I mean. I can get the channels with my HDTV tuner. I hope the HDHomerun turner can get it also.

It sure beat rabbit ears or climb up to the attic to install an antenna.

But the HDTV tuner scan and those on that list does not match up. I get alot of xx.xxx digital channels and they all repeat. Just trying to sort things out n hope I didnt miss anything.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page