Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5539 Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmo23 View Post

New channels, with some showtime HD channels removed?

Cooking HD
GSN HD
DIY HD
BBC America HD
Nat Geo HD (thought I already had this one)
Outdoor HD

It looks like HBO Comedy, Action Max, 5 Star Max, and a few of the Showtimes were replaced for these channels.

One of the debates occurring for DirecTV customers is which is better to have: Premiums in HD, or non-premiums. They just had added a multitude of premium HD channels, but Comcast customers have regular HD channels that are coveted by DirecTV customers like TCM, BBC America, GSN, and AMC. I say, if the content is available via On Demand, then there's really no need for the multiplex premiums, in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5539 Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Got a question. For my zip code and even a couple of surrounding zip codes, Comcast website no longer shows the "select a package" drop down menu (Digital Starter, Digital Preferred, etc.)

Let me explain. My parents are moving from up near Chattanooga to Calhoun, GA. I was looking at Comcast package pricing in their new address and zip code. For them, Digital Starter seems to meet all their needs, and it's actually what I have here in Kennesaw.

However, it seems their Digital Starter has MORE channels than the one in my area. I then went to my zip code to compare and I could not. The drop down menu is NOT visible for my zip code. (Keep reading. It has nothing to do with cookies, browsers used, or even the same computer used.)

On the Comcast website, normally there is a drop down menu that shows what channels each package has. For my zip code and for at least two other nearby zip codes, that drop down menu disappears. It won't let me see the channels in various packages for my zip code. That bug, error, anomaly has been there for at least two months!

See the dropdown menu? That's how it displays for zip code where my parents are moving.

Yet for some other zip codes where Comcast is available, it's not there! Even though the wording is the same, and it TELLS you there's a dropdown menu! But it's not there. My current zip code where I have Comcast, my old apt address where I had Comcast, a friend's address where she has Comcast... And yes I even used OTHER nearby addresses (down the street) just to make sure.

Very strange. On my computer, I tried Chrome as well as IE. I've cleared cookies. On two other computers at another location, I also tried Chrome as well as IE. No dropdown menu! All it shows is "All Channels".

Any ideas? Again, I've cleared cookies, I've tried different browsers, I've tried from various computers away from my house. So, please don't suggest that.

Go to Comcast.com, the click on "Programming", then "Channel Lineup". I know it works for some zip codes, but for some reason others are completely locked out. I tried for my current zip code, a friend's address, and my old apartment address from 5 years ago: 30152, 30102, 30008. No drop down menu to select packages.

Is this a Comcast website programming error, or are they hiding it on purpose? I just reported it to Comcast.com.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #5193 of 5539 Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I can't get the guide to show anything that seems accurate anyway. However if I hit the "Print your channel lineup" link then the list makes more sense.

Try hitting the Print lineup for both areas and see how they compare.

I'm in Kennesaw as well and thinking of switching to Comcast and using a Ceton cablecard tuner. However, I can't get the list to show exactly what HD channels are available in my area. I see all these new channels being posted here, but nothing on the list. There is only one channel in the 700s in their lineup. What new channels are available but not listed? Aren't the new ones in the 700s?

post #5194 of 5539 Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi folks,

I've been a DTV customer for over 11 years...back when you had to hang your own dish.. and I'm considering Comcast for phone, net and HDTV service. I use AT&T for ISP and phone now, and I'm limited to 1.5 mbps. My bill's for both AT&T and DTV are creeping up, so it looks like I can go to Comcast and save some serious coinage.

Here's my quandary:

I currently have four DTV HD DVRs scattered around the house. I've looked at the Motorola DCX3400 and I've been told that it can feed three other TV's through secondary boxes. How does the primary DVR 'talk' to the secondary units? I looked at a DCX3400 and it only has local connections and a port labeled "RF Out." Does it stream data to the secondary boxes via wireless RF? If so, is anyone having issues?

I also asked if I could have four separate DCX3400's and was told I could. Pricing seems close to a single and three 'extras', so I'm leaning this direction. I'm asuming each DCX3400 needs single RG-6 coax cable? I've got two RG-6's running to each DTV HDDVR now, so it should be easy to re-use the exisiting coax. Am I correct here?

Of course, no one you talk to at Comcast has a clue how the boxes actually work, and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger and set up service only to find that it can't be done.

Last question: can anyone give me a comparison of picture quality between DTV and Comcast HD?

Thanks!

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5195 of 5539 Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let me guess... you've got that lovely IFITL. I can't believe how AT&T has abandoned those areas, it's a wonder anyone still puts up with it.

-Anyroom backfeeds over the coax, it is not wireless. If you have 4 DVRs, I don't think you'd be happy with 2 tuners total to record as well as watch in the main room .

-Yes, each DVR needs only one RG-6 run. As long as they originate in a place that the Comcast tech can get to, you should be fine.

-Picture quality is very similar. I've had Comcast, Dish and DirecTV over the past 3 years, and I would say Comcast and DirecTV are the best, Dish slightly behind.
post #5196 of 5539 Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Let me guess... you've got that lovely IFITL. I can't believe how AT&T has abandoned those areas, it's a wonder anyone still puts up with it.

-Anyroom backfeeds over the coax, it is not wireless. If you have 4 DVRs, I don't think you'd be happy with 2 tuners total to record as well as watch in the main room .

-Yes, each DVR needs only one RG-6 run. As long as they originate in a place that the Comcast tech can get to, you should be fine.

-Picture quality is very similar. I've had Comcast, Dish and DirecTV over the past 3 years, and I would say Comcast and DirecTV are the best, Dish slightly behind.
Thanks, C-dude. I do have ifitl. At one time it was state of the art....just not lately. I think I'll visit a Comcast storefront and actually see what they have to offer. Pricing is pretty compelling. I may call DTV before I pull the plug to see if they will do a price match or a discount to keep me. Maybe an equipment upgrade, if they have new gear.

Thanks again for the guidance.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5197 of 5539 Old 08-16-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed a Ceton cablecard tuner yesterday with my service scheduled for installation on Friday. I already have Comcast internet and can receive their ClearQAM stations. When setting up the guide data I chose the Comcast Atlanta WOM option. Should I expect to receive all of those HD channels that show up in the 700s and 800s? For instance I saw DIYHD, G4HD, and SCIHD which doesn't show up in the online channel lineup list. I'm in Kennesaw, 30152.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

Thanks, C-dude. I do have ifitl. At one time it was state of the art....just not lately. I think I'll visit a Comcast storefront and actually see what they have to offer. Pricing is pretty compelling. I may call DTV before I pull the plug to see if they will do a price match or a discount to keep me. Maybe an equipment upgrade, if they have new gear.

Thanks again for the guidance.

D* gave me $25 off per month when I called them about switching to Comcast. I contacted the retention department and asked what happens to the remaining balance of my prepaid month of service when I cancel.

post #5198 of 5539 Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The online lineup typically takes a few weeks to get updated. If you're in a WOM area, you should get all the new channels. I do not know if you're in a WOM area, but I guess you'll find out
post #5199 of 5539 Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Also don't forget that Comcast has to provide self-installs of Cablecards now, which should mean that you can pick one up at your local office. Whether they have them in stock is a different question, but no truck roll is needed now (and should be provided free of charge if they don't have them in stock).

With the Comcast WOM lineup and proper Cablecard pairing, you'll get all the channels that you pay for, same as with a box.
post #5200 of 5539 Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Also don't forget that Comcast has to provide self-installs of Cablecards now, which should mean that you can pick one up at your local office. Whether they have them in stock is a different question, but no truck roll is needed now (and should be provided free of charge if they don't have them in stock).

With the Comcast WOM lineup and proper Cablecard pairing, you'll get all the channels that you pay for, same as with a box.

I don't think they'll let me do a self-install since the outlet hasn't been "activated". It works since I'm picking up ClearQAM on all for Ceton tuners, but officially they have only lit up the outlet with my cable modem. However, I may call and ask and see what happens.

post #5201 of 5539 Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i may be late in noticing this, but a lot of showtime channels disappeared from the HD lineup.
post #5202 of 5539 Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I don't think they'll let me do a self-install since the outlet hasn't been "activated". It works since I'm picking up ClearQAM on all for Ceton tuners, but officially they have only lit up the outlet with my cable modem. However, I may call and ask and see what happens.

Bryan did you get this installed on the 19th? If so how was it? Was it fairly easy to install the M-card? I have two DVR's now & they (& their 35 monthly bill) are going back on 1 Sep no matter what. I am going to get the Ceton (eventually) but I am really wondering if Comcast (ATL) are allowing self installs of M-cards now.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #5203 of 5539 Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Bryan did you get this installed on the 19th? If so how was it? Was it fairly easy to install the M-card? I have two DVR's now & they (& their 35 monthly bill) are going back on 1 Sep no matter what. I am going to get the Ceton (eventually) but I am really wondering if Comcast (ATL) are allowing self installs of M-cards now.

Yes, I picked up a self install kit at the local office. Installation was simple and it just took about 10 minutes of being on hold before they were able to get it paired. Once pair all the channels showed up instantly.

Also, the online channel listing is not even close to complete. The WMC guide showed all the proper channels. I spent about an hour trimming out the crap stations and organizing the guide data. I've already had a situation where we were watching one channel while three other shows were recording. Looks like I'm keeping the Ceton and Comcast and dropping DirecTV.

post #5204 of 5539 Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, I picked up a self install kit at the local office. Installation was simple and it just took about 10 minutes of being on hold before they were able to get it paired. Once pair all the channels showed up instantly.

Also, the online channel listing is not even close to complete. The WMC guide showed all the proper channels. I spent about an hour trimming out the crap stations and organizing the guide data. I've already had a situation where we were watching one channel while three other shows were recording. Looks like I'm keeping the Ceton and Comcast and dropping DirecTV.

That's good news. my HDHomerun Prime gets delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed that the Grayson office has an M-card.
post #5205 of 5539 Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

That's good news. my HDHomerun Prime gets delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed that the Grayson office has an M-card.

I picked mine up in Marietta. They had just received a shipment. The M-cards were Motorola and came with an Xfinity cablecard installation guide.

post #5206 of 5539 Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM

bryansj,

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion of the picture/sound quality of CC HD channels compared to those of DirectTV?

Thanks.
post #5207 of 5539 Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker 52 View Post

bryansj,

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion of the picture/sound quality of CC HD channels compared to those of DirectTV?

Thanks.

I think that DirecTV is probably a little better than Comcast HD quality. However, Comcast has more HD channels that I'll watch so in that case it is D*'s SD compared to CC's HD.

I was out of town for half the week and still haven't acclimated to the new system. Still forming my opinion. D* account has been suspended and I'll probably cancel it after my 30 day CC trial is complete.

post #5208 of 5539 Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I picked mine up in Marietta. They had just received a shipment. The M-cards were Motorola and came with an Xfinity cablecard installation guide.

After the usual half hour wait in line at the Grayson office, I picked up my M-card kit today. The HDHomeRun Prime arrived today, also. Probably won't get around to setting it up until Monday...busy weekend, plus gotta play with my new HP Touchpad first.
post #5209 of 5539 Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After the usual half hour wait in line at the Grayson office, I picked up my M-card kit today. The HDHomeRun Prime arrived today, also. Probably won't get around to setting it up until Monday...busy weekend, plus gotta play with my new HP Touchpad first.

I got my Touchpad after playing with my Ceton.

post #5210 of 5539 Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:

I got my Touchpad after playing with my Ceton.

Got my cable card activated, but now am getting "subscription required" on all but the basic SD and HD channels. Awaiting a call back "between 24 and 72 hours". From reading the Ceton, Comcast, and HDHomerun forums, this is a pretty common problem. Wonder if you encountered it. I need my ESPN by this weekend.
post #5211 of 5539 Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my cable card activated, but now am getting "subscription required" on all but the basic SD and HD channels. Awaiting a call back "between 24 and 72 hours". From reading the Ceton, Comcast, and HDHomerun forums, this is a pretty common problem. Wonder if you encountered it. I need my ESPN by this weekend.

No, all my channels where available once they said it was paired. Did you run the Digital Cable Adviser under the Extras Gallery?

post #5212 of 5539 Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:

No, all my channels where available once they said it was paired. Did you run the Digital Cable Adviser under the Extras Gallery?

Yeah, I've run the DCA, uninstalled and reinstalled PlayReady, double checked all the ID numbers, all to no avail. I'm thinking they just need to hit the card with my rate info, but apparently that has to be done at the local level, not at the national cable card install number, and that's where the slowdown is. There's a big, long thread on the Comcast support forum with mostly Ceton customers complaining about the same problem, so I know it's not unique to the HDHomerun Prime.
post #5213 of 5539 Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Had a truck roll this morning, and the tech was able to get subscribed channels active for about 20 seconds, then they were lost again. Now I'm getting a "Copying Prohibited" followed by a "Subscription Needed" on channels like ESPN (846).

Tech had not seen the PRIME before but called his dispatcher who told him the model had "some kind of incompatability" and that they had had the same problem elsewhere in Atlanta and thought they'd need to buy a PRIME and test it to see what was causing the problem.

So, for now, I'm dead in the water. What's odd is that Comcast customers in other regions seem to be having success. Problem seems local to Atlanta.
post #5214 of 5539 Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Had a truck roll this morning, and the tech was able to get subscribed channels active for about 20 seconds, then they were lost again. Now I'm getting a "Copying Prohibited" followed by a "Subscription Needed" on channels like ESPN (846).

Tech had not seen the PRIME before but called his dispatcher who told him the model had "some kind of incompatability" and that they had had the same problem elsewhere in Atlanta and thought they'd need to buy a PRIME and test it to see what was causing the problem.

So, for now, I'm dead in the water. What's odd is that Comcast customers in other regions seem to be having success. Problem seems local to Atlanta.

Microcenter sells the Ceton tuner.

post #5215 of 5539 Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
*tl

Quote:

I think that DirecTV is probably a little better than Comcast HD quality. However, Comcast has more HD channels that I'll watch so in that case it is D*'s SD compared to CC's HD.

This is probably one of those YMMV things, but I switched from D* to Comcast last month and have found that there's much less digital artifacting than what I was getting on D*.
post #5216 of 5539 Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Microcenter sells the Ceton tuner.

Hah! No need. I called the Comcast 877 National Activation number this morning and had them apply a "cold hit" to the card, as instructed by the SiliconDust techs. Card is now working 100% and I will be able to get my game Saturday night. WhooHoo (and go Dawgs!).
post #5217 of 5539 Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Just activated my Comcast HD service on my new Samsung UN55D7000.. I have to say some of the "HD" channels seem to be of pretty poor quality. I have read some of the information about Comcast's compression issues, most of which were dated around '08.

My question is how is the CC HD quality when compared to the other providers?

I can't use D*TV in my condo so I am left with AT&T, Charter, and CC. Anyone have opinions on the issue?

TIA.
post #5218 of 5539 Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Which channels? They all look good to me on a 46" plasma, some programs are better than others due to how they're filmed. The consensus that I've read is that Comcast HD quality is on par with DirectTV, and I certainly have no complaints (I have all the non-premium HD channels).
post #5219 of 5539 Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeleven View Post

Just activated my Comcast HD service on my new Samsung UN55D7000.. I have to say some of the "HD" channels seem to be of pretty poor quality. I have read some of the information about Comcast's compression issues, most of which were dated around '08.

My question is how is the CC HD quality when compared to the other providers?

I can't use D*TV in my condo so I am left with AT&T, Charter, and CC. Anyone have opinions on the issue?

TIA.

I live in Acworth/Kennesaw area and the Comcast HD channels look very good here. A couple of years ago I saw much more evident compression with stuff like SyFy (then known as Sci-Fi) and "lesser" channels, while channels like ESPN were very good. Nowadays, I can't tell much difference. And I'm watching them on a Sony 60" 1080p HDTV

How are you able to get both Charter and Comcast at your place? Usually with cable franchising it's one per area.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #5220 of 5539 Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Did WGCL CBS add a sub channel? I was watching the College Football Game on Saturday and it was a blocky mess on graphic transitions and other fast moving action. CBS has always had the best HD available, but this was the first time i've watched football on their channel and i noticed some significant bit starving...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page