Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 5534 Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you seeing anything else? I see Oxygen, and I don't recall seeing Smithsonian before this week, but nothing else looks new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5534 Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a notice in my mail saying that limited basic channels, including broadcast stations will require either a set-top box or digital adapter starting 1/23/12. I currently use a HD Homerun to tune the HD network stations via QAM. This notice sounds like all clear-QAM is going away in our area on Comcast. Can anyone confirm?

I hate to have to go with an antennae setup, but if I have to, I'd like to know now. I'm on the Vinnings headend FYI.
post #5253 of 5534 Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeber24 View Post

I got a notice in my mail saying that limited basic channels, including broadcast stations will require either a set-top box or digital adapter starting 1/23/12. I currently use a HD Homerun to tune the HD network stations via QAM. This notice sounds like all clear-QAM is going away in our area on Comcast. Can anyone confirm?

I hate to have to go with an antennae setup, but if I have to, I'd like to know now. I'm on the Vinnings headend FYI.

If you look at the notice, it says that the low-numbered channels are going away, not all clear-QAM.
post #5254 of 5534 Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM

The notice doesn't say anything about "clear QAM." All the notice says is that "you'll need to verify that all of your TVs are connected to a digital set-top box, digital adapter, or use a cablecard." It also says that "after 1/23/2012, equipment may be required to receive ALL channels, including Limited Basic..."

Reading between the lines, it appears that the analog channels are going away, but clear QAM is staying. It is confusing as the notice makes it appear that Comcast equipment is required to receive Limited Basic, then says that "equipment may be required."
post #5255 of 5534 Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post

The notice doesn't say anything about "clear QAM." All the notice says is that "you'll need to verify that all of your TVs are connected to a digital set-top box, digital adapter, or use a cablecard." It also says that "after 1/23/2012, equipment may be required to receive ALL channels, including Limited Basic..."

Reading between the lines, it appears that the analog channels are going away, but clear QAM is staying. It is confusing as the notice makes it appear that Comcast equipment is required to receive Limited Basic, then says that "equipment may be required."

Seemed pretty clear to me. All channels will be digital and encrypted and require a setup box or DTA to receive. The only question to me is what will the freed up spectrum be used for moving forward.

I'm hoping now we'll be able to receive the sports packages in HD once there is more room.
post #5256 of 5534 Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeber24 View Post

This notice sounds like all clear-QAM is going away in our area on Comcast. Can anyone confirm?

It may NOT go away on that day, but eventually it mostly likely WILL be going away everywhere:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...Basic_Tier.php

So basically, you're going to be SOL using Clear-QAM tuners on ANY cable signals...
post #5257 of 5534 Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the link. Does "Basic Tier" necessarily mean the OTA channels? Or is it talking about a larger swath of channels? If the OTA stuff goes away, I'm going to need to set up an antenna to feed my HDHomerun
post #5258 of 5534 Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 AM

I got my notice this weekend. I read at the bottom that if your TV has a QAM tuner that the list of chanels between 2 and 26 will still be available. I read this to mean that these channels, mostly local stations, will still be in the clear, but all others will be encrypted.
post #5259 of 5534 Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy bee View Post

Does "Basic Tier" necessarily mean the OTA channels? Or is it talking about a larger swath of channels?

EVERYTHING (including OTA) - THAT'S the whole point of this...

Right now, with the couple of exceptions the FCC granted to Cablevision, NO cable system could encrypt any OTA local channels - but they COULD encrypt non-OTA channels that happen to be carried on the basic tier, which some systems DO. (eg: Cox cable appears to encrypt everything down to even limited/basic channels, except for OTA's; now they will be able to encrypt those as well)

Best be prepared to get that antenna up...
post #5260 of 5534 Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Right now, with the couple of exceptions the FCC granted to Cablevision, NO cable system could encrypt any OTA local channels - but they COULD encrypt non-OTA channels that happen to be carried on the basic tier, which some systems DO. (eg: Cox cable appears to encrypt everything down to even limited/basic channels, except for OTA's; now they will be able to encrypt those as well)

The ironic part is that Cox cable encrypts *nothing* within the confines of their own building
post #5261 of 5534 Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

Assuming you're using Windows Media Center with the Clear QAM HDHR, after running the HDHR Setup program, you need to manually add the QAM channels in the TV/ Guide settings/Add Missing Channels/Add QAM channel (example 98.803 = WSB HD). Once you do that, you go back into the Guide/Edit Channels, go to the channels you added and Edit Listings to merge the QAM channels with the actual Comcast number (example: 98.803 is merged with 803 so only that number shows in your Guide). Sounds more complicated than it is, but once you have that done, the channel line up in the Guide looks just like what you get on your Comcast DVR.

Use the SiliconDust link above to determine the correct QAM channels numbers for the stations you wish to add.

Thanks for your help. However where did you find that WSB is 98.803? That is not on the silicondust page(s) or anywhere else that I can find. I have set up the locals for QAM reception except for FOX 5 WAGA-HD). Do you know what the actual tuned channel is for that station?

I have run the setup several times, & all of my locals show up there but not in the guide. I ran the wmc_sync thingy several times as well & they still nothing below 8.1 showed in my guide. I manually added WSB, but I can't find WAGA anywhere. Has Comcast started encrypting locals already?

edit: Ok I'm an idiot. I see it now

edit 2: Is there a way I can edit the WMC guide so that 98.803 becomes 2.1 etc...?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #5262 of 5534 Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Comcast has a site set up, digitalnow.comcast.com and when I log in there and start the equipment selection process, it shows the following information for the help next to the "No digital equipment" option:

Quote:

No digital equipment
Televisions without a digital device may not be able to view any channels. (QAM tuner TVs will continue to be able to view Limited Basic channels without a digital device.)

So it sounds like Clear-QAM for locals isn't going away.
post #5263 of 5534 Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

edit 2: Is there a way I can edit the WMC guide so that 98.803 becomes 2.1 etc...?

Sure. I have my 98.803 merged to 803. Go to Settings/TV/Guide/Edit Channels. Click on ch 98.803. Go to Edit Listings. Select the listing for the Channel number you want to use (in your case, 2.1). "Combine channel 98.803 with Channel 2.1". That removes 98.803 from your guide listing and merges it with 2.1.
post #5264 of 5534 Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
My girlfriend says that a new fee has appeared on her bill this month called a HD Technology fee for about $8.95. Anybody heard of this?
Michael
post #5265 of 5534 Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM

It was probably included in a promo that just ran out for her.
post #5266 of 5534 Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM

This is something new that showed up on my bill with no explanation. We are in an apt complex with a bulk account and have never seen that charge before. Anybody got any poop on it?

Larry the cable guy
post #5267 of 5534 Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Michael wrote:
> My girlfriend says that a new fee has appeared on her bill this month
> called a HD Technology fee for about $8.95. Anybody heard of this?

Checking some previous price lists, I found the "HDTV" fee, at $7.95
in 2010 and $8.50 in 2011. The footnotes indicated that one converter or
CableCard was included in all digital packages.
The 2012 price list called it the "HD Technology" fee and increased
the price to $9.95. The footnotes said it "includes HD converter and
remote" and the digital packages only include a standard definition
converter. Along the way they also kicked all digital packages up $3.
Apparently they previously gave out an HD-capable box to all digital
subscribers. Now it appears they want an extra fee if you get more than
a simple digital adapter (or have a CableCard capable device).
post #5268 of 5534 Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F B Mulligan View Post

Michael wrote:
> My girlfriend says that a new fee has appeared on her bill this month
> called a HD Technology fee for about $8.95. Anybody heard of this?

Checking some previous price lists, I found the "HDTV" fee, at $7.95
in 2010 and $8.50 in 2011. The footnotes indicated that one converter or
CableCard was included in all digital packages.
The 2012 price list called it the "HD Technology" fee and increased
the price to $9.95. The footnotes said it "includes HD converter and
remote" and the digital packages only include a standard definition
converter. Along the way they also kicked all digital packages up $3.
Apparently they previously gave out an HD-capable box to all digital
subscribers. Now it appears they want an extra fee if you get more than
a simple digital adapter (or have a CableCard capable device).

Yep - I just got my bill and there it is: HD Technology $9.95 - they separated the DVR charges (which is now $7.00 on its own). Looks like they upped quite a few charges. My bill is now $10 more per month..... Really getting very expensive now.
post #5269 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hello! I just moved to Forsyth County, and signed up for the Triple Play. Installer called and was able to do the install earlier, so that was a plus. But the HD only service box had no sound, and the HDDVR didn't want to do DVR! The tech gave me a loaner HDDVR for the HD only box, and that one worked with DVR service, so I swapped them and I'm good to go.

I have the SA 8300HD box. Can I buy an eSATA drive and attach it for some more storage? I watch way too much TV, so 20 hours is not going to cut it for me. I don't mind making my own box via a drive and external case, but if I can pick up a preassembled box for a few bucks more, I'll go that route. Is there anyone currently using an eSATA drive successfully? And is there a size limit on the drive?

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #5270 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

Hello! I just moved to Forsyth County, and signed up for the Triple Play. Installer called and was able to do the install earlier, so that was a plus. But the HD only service box had no sound, and the HDDVR didn't want to do DVR! The tech gave me a loaner HDDVR for the HD only box, and that one worked with DVR service, so I swapped them and I'm good to go.

I have the SA 8300HD box. Can I buy an eSATA drive and attach it for some more storage? I watch way too much TV, so 20 hours is not going to cut it for me. I don't mind making my own box via a drive and external case, but if I can pick up a preassembled box for a few bucks more, I'll go that route. Is there anyone currently using an eSATA drive successfully? And is there a size limit on the drive?

If memory serves, the Motorola HDDVR box has a larger HDD. Comcast shuld swap it out for you if you go into one of their storefronts. I've ben to the one on Ptree Industrial inside the Perimeter. (I'm in Norcross/Duluth area.) Before you look a t larger HDD options, though, I've also noticed that I watch a lot less on the DVR because of On Demand. Many of the programs I used to record (with DTV) are available On Demand so I don't record them now. You may want to wait and see if you really need the extra HDD space. I also seem to recall that the SATA port on the Moto's at least are not activate, so no external HDD can be used. Others please correct me if I'm worng on that point.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5271 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
rstart is right. You can walk your box into a Comcast storefront to get another one, if they have it in stock. You can call the storefront ahead of time to see if they have it. The largest one right now is the Motorola DCX3400, which holds about 45 hours of HD. To record offline, you can send the digital signal from your box to a digital VHS recorder. Search this thread and others in AVS Forum for details.
post #5272 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I guess I'll start calling customer service centers to find a DCX3400. On Demand is a great idea, but since you can't skip commercials, I only want to use it for the occasional power outage or inadvertent delete, or maybe to look for a movie or two. I don't want to use it as my "prime" recording medium, since a few shows I watch aren't available via On Demand. Two that come to mind are "2 Broke Girls" and "Modern Family." At least Modern Family is available for streaming via Hulu, but some other shows I'm out of luck.

What's the best stand alone HD receiver? I have to swap one of the HD DVRs for one, so if I can get a better one with a store visit, I'll do it.

Go Jackets!
post #5273 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM

rtart,

The Moto box might not work for you. You mentioned the Comcast rep gave you a Scientific Atlanta box and that indicates you are on the old Adelphia cable plant that Comcast purchased a while back.

Before you make a trip, I would call Comcast (more than once) and make sure the Moto box will work on the old Adelphia cable plant. I don't think it will, or it would have been rolled out by now.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #5274 of 5534 Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i have a DCH3416 - is there a better option currently available in ATL right now?
post #5275 of 5534 Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Faber View Post

The Moto box might not work for you. You mentioned the Comcast rep gave you a Scientific Atlanta box and that indicates you are on the old Adelphia cable plant that Comcast purchased a while back.

Before you make a trip, I would call Comcast (more than once) and make sure the Moto box will work on the old Adelphia cable plant. I don't think it will, or it would have been rolled out by now.

Had to make a trip to swap a DVR for STB, and asked about a Motorola box. No luck, not supported in Forsyth County. So the question stands, what is the best method of increasing the storage space on the SA 8300HD? Has anyone successfully done it with any particuaar brand?

Go Jackets!
post #5276 of 5534 Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Anyone know if Comcast is usng DCX3501 HD DVRs in Marietta? Can I swap for one at the local office?
post #5277 of 5534 Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

So among the many blessings of having twins due in 7 to 9 weeks is my wife recently did a 180 on having a TV in the bedroom and decided that we actually very much do need one in there, along with a Blu-ray player and another Comcast box. Okay, it's only 22", but it's 1080p Samsung, and beggars can't be choosers.

So now I'm interested in setting up the multi-room DVR arrangement so I can stream recordings from our living room Motorola box.

Questions:

From what I can glean, this is done with just a regular HD tuner box in the bedroom, not another HD DVR, correct?

Anyone know how much adding the second tuner (and possibly a charge for multi-room streaming?) will add to our bill?

Will I need a new HD DVR in the living room to support this? I believe I'm currently using a DCX 3400.

Do I need to call to add service or can I just go by the local Comcast office to pick it up and set it up myself? That's what I did when I upgraded my HD DVR about a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Anyone know if Comcast is usng DCX3501 HD DVRs in Marietta? Can I swap for one at the local office?

I'd also be interested to know the answer to this.
post #5278 of 5534 Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Just a quick response about MRV - the person at the Comcast office said a tech has to come out to sync the boxes. And you're going to need specific boxes. I don't know which ones, so I can't say which ones are required.

Go Jackets!
post #5279 of 5534 Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Yes, you will need a new DVR, and it costs $5 or so more per month. Additional boxes (which must be a specific model) cost the same as normal additional boxes. And they do require a tech because IIRC they also have to add some additional filters to your wiring.
post #5280 of 5534 Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargon View Post

So it sounds like Clear-QAM for locals isn't going away.

Wrong.

Across the country, Comcast has already started the process of eliminating all analog channels and at the same time encrypting all channels. Think of it like phase II of Project Cavalry.

The only question remaining is when for a given area.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page