Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 183 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5461 of 5562 Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

thanks for reporting this, but I'm hesitant to even call, every time I make any changes to my account Comcast seems to screw something up, got a new ceton tuner over the holidays, so I got a second Mcard, after getting the turner going reliably, I returned the first Mcard I had from existing my exiting tuner, returned to a comcast store, two months later, they were still charging me, then I had to prove I returned the card, I'm mean, WTF. I had the receipt, and it took 3 weeks for them to sort it out. argh.

I need to think long and hard on this, but I could really use those upload speeds. wink.gif

For what it's worth, word around the 'Net is that everyone will get the upgrade automatically on March 23d.

I actually got the invite letter in the mail day before yesterday, so perhaps they're trying to spread out the upgrades prior to flipping the master switch.

I've taken to recording all my calls with Comcast, for just the reasons you outlined above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 5562 Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I called today 888-228-0063 and was told I didn't qualify because I only had the Performance Internet and not the Blast version. OK, fair enough.

I called 800-COMCAST and got a CSR that was NOT in a call center. Totally unexpected. She worked from home and took calls. She was very nice and easy to understand. I asked for the Blast version and she immediately "turned it on" and all I needed to do was reboot my modem. No changes in my monthly bill.

I checked SpeedTest.net and got 28 down and 6 up. I then powered down and up and no change in speed. A few hours later I rebooted my PC and powered cycled my modem with 1-2 minutes off. No change in speed. I'll try again tomorrow.

I have the Double Play Bundle
Includes:
Digital Preferred With On Demand and Performance High-speed internet.
Currently priced at $125.85

I own the Motorola SurfBoard SB6120 which is docsis 3.0.

I'm guessing that power cycling the modem is the same thing as reboot....right? as I second guess myself.

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #5463 of 5562 Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM

My advice: Call the 888 number back and tell them you now have Blast on your account. They're the ones who have to flag your account for the free increase from Blast to Extreme. Having done that, wait a while and check your speed. If no increase, call the 800 internet support and have them send a modem refresh. That's what eventually got me the speed increase. Power cycling did nothing for me.

Apologies to all for getting off topic on the HDTV thread.
post #5464 of 5562 Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

For what it's worth, word around the 'Net is that everyone will get the upgrade automatically on March 23d.

I actually got the invite letter in the mail day before yesterday, so perhaps they're trying to spread out the upgrades prior to flipping the master switch.

I've taken to recording all my calls with Comcast, for just the reasons you outlined above.

Is this what you were referring to?
Comcast Speed up

I'm old.
post #5465 of 5562 Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Check the date. That one was March of LAST year.
post #5466 of 5562 Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

I have the Double Play Bundle
Includes:
Digital Preferred With On Demand and Performance High-speed internet.
Currently priced at $125.85

I own the Motorola SurfBoard SB6120 which is docsis 3.0.

You should call them and get a better price, I have the exact same plan (and modem) and recently re-upped for $90/mo. for a year. I call every time my promo expires and tell them that U-Verse is offering me a better deal, so I've never paid full price for double play. I've seen a lot of folks switch to U-Verse here so that may have something to do with it.

Select the option to downgrade or cancel service when you call, that gets you to the retention reps with the best offers.
post #5467 of 5562 Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Got my bill today and it listed Blast at $0.00. Yea for that.

Decided to go on Comcast Chat to see about why my Blast speed was not blasting. This was the reply...
Quote:
I have checked your account and I can see here that your Internet service was updated to Blast Internet with up to 40-50 Mbps speed however it is not yet updated on our system. No worries here is what I will do RESOLVE your issue.

She rest the modem from her end and all is OK.
57.6 down
11.4 up

When the modem reset the Chat window went offline of course. It mentioned to wait for it to re-connect. I waited few minutes so we could finish the Chat. While waiting I checked the speed and it was there. Well, the Chat never came back. The Chat person actually called me to check on the results. WOW. Totally unexpected. All is good.

Now I will have to go back and see if I can get a better monthly rate as was suggested.

I did check and U-Verse is NOT available at my location and won't be for some time. Not that I'm going there. Kinda hard to use that as leverage.

I'm old.
post #5468 of 5562 Old 03-19-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
same experience mentioned above - i upgraded to Blast before getting the upgrade, but my speeds never went up, took a few calls but they sorted it out and my speeds quadrupled. very surprised to be impressed by something Comcast did lol
post #5469 of 5562 Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I received a letter and automated call asking me to swap my modem so I could get my speed doubled, so hopefully there's a quick turnaround on shipping that. Still stuck on 25mbit over here smile.gif
post #5470 of 5562 Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM

I bought my own and saved (i.e. not spent) the monthly modem fee. See my post above.

I'm old.
post #5471 of 5562 Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM

New subject, sort of...
The volume difference is soooo annoying.
TV show fine.
Network commercial fine.
Local/regional commercial has me diving to find the remote to reduce the volume. eek.gif
Then I have to crank it back up when the show returns.

I'm running thru my HTPC.

I'm I the only one?

I'm old.
post #5472 of 5562 Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 365

Has anyone here been billed yet for the new $1.50 "Broadcast TV Fee" which was announced in January and supposedly deferred for current cable TV customers until June (see highlighted text below)?

If you have gotten a bill with this charge on it, are you a new subscriber or did you make a change to your service which could have occasioned the fee to kick in?

And if you received the charge and tried to contest it, what were the results?

I would be interested in some feedback.

Effective 1/1/2014, Comcast will implement a Broadcast TV
Fee of $1.50 per month (excluding applicable taxes and fees)
on video customers' bills to defray the rising costs of
retransmitting broadcast television signals. However, we
will waive the Broadcast TV Fee for current customers until
6/1/2014.

post #5473 of 5562 Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Been existing customer for years. No buck-fifty ....yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Has anyone here been billed yet for the new $1.50 "Broadcast TV Fee" which was announced in January and supposedly deferred for current cable TV customers until June (see highlighted text below)?

If you have gotten a bill with this charge on it, are you a new subscriber or did you make a change to your service which could have occasioned the fee to kick in?

Effective 1/1/2014, Comcast will implement a Broadcast TV

Fee of $1.50 per month (excluding applicable taxes and fees)

on video customers' bills to defray the rising costs of

retransmitting broadcast television signals. However, we

will waive the Broadcast TV Fee for current customers until

6/1/2014.

I'm old.
post #5474 of 5562 Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10
Hmm - called Comcast about the Blast to Extreme upgrade for the "same price as now" letter... Was told that it means I continue to pay $10 now for Extreme if I agree to upgrade. If I don't upgrade then Blast will be free with my Triple Play. Is this correct?
post #5475 of 5562 Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Been existing customer for years. No buck-fifty ....yet.

No $1.50 on my 3/19 bill, and I don't remember ever receiving that letter. Comcast customer since forever.
post #5476 of 5562 Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanline View Post

Hmm - called Comcast about the Blast to Extreme upgrade for the "same price as now" letter... Was told that it means I continue to pay $10 now for Extreme if I agree to upgrade. If I don't upgrade then Blast will be free with my Triple Play. Is this correct?

I don't know about the "free Blast", but I had them upgrade from Blast to Extreme per the letter on 2/28. Supposedly at no increase in charges.

When I got my 3/19 bill, they had charged me $10 for Blast PLUS $10 for Extreme. Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with billing and they agreed to correct the additional charge.

However, following this charge, my modem went dead and I had to call to get it reactivated. You guessed it: I'm back to Blast speeds!

So I call the 888 number to have them put through the "free" upgrade again. Now I have to wait 24 hours to see if it takes, following which I will call Comcast again to be sure I'm not charged for the upgrade.

Watch your bill!
post #5477 of 5562 Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Watch your bill!

Ain't that the truth. And the burden is always on the customer to get the billing correct, what a complete BS approach to running a business, Imagine going to the grocery store, buying up a 6 pack, the store charges you the price of a 12 pack, and you have to correct them, and then they charge you for a 6 pack of tall boys, 2 cashiers later, and finally they get the price right, you get home, only realize all you got was a 40 oz..

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #5478 of 5562 Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No $1.50 on my 3/19 bill, and I don't remember ever receiving that letter. Comcast customer since forever.

Check your account statement for January 2014.  If yours is like mine (see below) it will contain the blurb I quoted in my first post above.

I was involved in negotiating a 10-year cable-TV bulk services agreement with Comcast for my homeowner's association in 2011.  I just went to bat with our local bulk services sales rep and with a Customer Relations VP at Comcast corporate on this issue and got an e-mail last night confirming that our individual subscribers should not have to pay this fee and it should not have appeared on individual account statements.  However, those of you who receive services individually can expect to be getting this charge added to your bill by June of this year.  For more background, see here.

post #5479 of 5562 Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 AM

My 01/14/14 statement had no statement about the buck-fifty profit center.

Darn, did I just send them an alert that they missed me????

I'm old.
post #5480 of 5562 Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 01/14/14 statement had no statement about the buck-fifty profit center.

Darn, did I just send them an alert that they missed me????

This transmission being forwarded to Comcast.

---------------------------------------------------

No Such Agency

post #5481 of 5562 Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, over the weekend I decided to upgrade my service to have HBO in time for Game of Thrones coming back. As part of that I should be upgraded to Extreme as well, but like others in the thread so far I haven't noticed a difference after several modem reboots and one chat session where the CSR concluded that she didn't have the ability to provision my new modem for a higher speed. Awaiting a callback from a technician by tomorrow. I also swapped my old DVR and HD box for X1 and a remote box, but because they were out of remote boxes I got two X1 DVRs (and better not be charged extra!). I set the secondary one to just record to the primary one so I can manage one set of recordings from either box, but it's still nice to be able to pause live TV in a room I wasn't expecting to smile.gif. So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the design of the guide, but execution is lacking in a few areas. Already observed both boxes lock up and reboot when trying to access the apps menu, and there is some unacceptable lag where certain "layers" of the UI draw in seconds apart from other ones.
post #5482 of 5562 Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post

Well, over the weekend I decided to upgrade my service to have HBO in time for Game of Thrones coming back. As part of that I should be upgraded to Extreme as well, but like others in the thread so far I haven't noticed a difference after several modem reboots and one chat session where the CSR concluded that she didn't have the ability to provision my new modem for a higher speed. Awaiting a callback from a technician by tomorrow. I also swapped my old DVR and HD box for X1 and a remote box, but because they were out of remote boxes I got two X1 DVRs (and better not be charged extra!). I set the secondary one to just record to the primary one so I can manage one set of recordings from either box, but it's still nice to be able to pause live TV in a room I wasn't expecting to smile.gif. So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the design of the guide, but execution is lacking in a few areas. Already observed both boxes lock up and reboot when trying to access the apps menu, and there is some unacceptable lag where certain "layers" of the UI draw in seconds apart from other ones.

IMHO unless you're getting the box for free or for a drastically reduced price (e.g., $10 p.m. or less), there's no good reason to settle for Comcast's second-rate DVR.

TiVo, baby!!!!!!!!!!!  Their products and service are vastly superior and--assuming you purchase the product lifetime subscription and keep the service for at least 26 months--it's cheaper than Comcast.  Not only do you get better functionality but you can also save many hundreds of dollars in rental fees over the life of the DVR.

post #5483 of 5562 Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

I realize this thread is primarily for Comcast cable but can anyone else confirm that Comcast Internet is down in the Marietta area?

post #5484 of 5562 Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 AM

I'm in Canton.
OK for me now.
Had trouble yesterday afternoon.

BTW
I treat Comcast Cable and Comcast Internet as just Comcast.

I'm old.
post #5485 of 5562 Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I realize this thread is primarily for Comcast cable but can anyone else confirm that Comcast Internet is down in the Marietta area?

Quote:

I treat Comcast Cable and Comcast Internet as just Comcast.

There are plenty of dedicated threads for discussion of Comcast's internet services, such as this one.

This AVS Forum thread is specifically related to HDTV issues ("Local HDTV Info and Reception") and it would be nice if we could stay on topic. :rolleyes: 

post #5486 of 5562 Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

thanks

post #5487 of 5562 Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

According to what I've read on Comcast site, there's no way to get HD DTA except on Basic cable package, right? I'm on Digital Starter, with HD DVR in living room and SD DTA in office. Would love to have HD DTA on office HDTV...
Quote:

I just took my two SD DTAs in to the Grayson office and swapped them out for HD DTAs. No problem.
Quote:

Thanks.

What TV service package are you on? Digital Starter? Preferred or what?

Quote:

Digital Preferred.

Thanks. Finally took my crappy SD DTA to the Comcast Delk Rd location, swapped it for the DC60Xu (HD DTA) with HDMI connection. They even supplied the HDMI cable. Glad Comcast changed the rules. Now watching full HD on my 27" office Samsung. cool.gif Cost is the same as the SD DTA ($2 per month), but gives you the ability to watch the HD you are paying for (that silly "HD technology fee" on your bill each month).

The only problem I had was actually finding the Comcast office. I drove to the one on Cobb Parkway, about a mile north of the Big Chicken -- and the building was empty. eek.gif So, I had to call the Comcast number to find out where to go... Now on Delk Road, near Microcenter.

Good write up here on the device:
http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html
IMG_3172.JPG

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #5488 of 5562 Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally took my crappy SD DTA to the Comcast Delk Rd location, swapped it for the DC60Xu (HD DTA) with HDMI connection. They even supplied the HDMI cable. Glad Comcast changed the rules. Now watching full HD on my 27" office Samsung. cool.gif

Just curious: What, if any, was the upcharge for the HD DTA?

post #5489 of 5562 Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Just curious: What, if any, was the upcharge for the HD DTA?

You probably posted while I was editing my post to add more info. smile.gif No extra cost. Same $2 per month they charge for the old SD DTAs. I turned in the old equipment, they gave me the new equipment. No extra fees or charges, as long as you already have HD on your account. (I have HD DVR in living room, plus I am charged a dubious "HD Technology Fee" each month already.)

You have to use the HDMI out connector for HD to the HD TV. IF you use the coaxial OUT connector to your HD TV, you get just SD. Comcast on the phone (when they were giving me the new location address) said all new customers get this "universal" adapter now. So, it's SD and/or HD, depending on what you have on your account. It's both an SD DTA and a HD DTA -- a "universal" DTA.

IMG_3189_zps43f53054.jpg

It's nice. I type in 834, there's fullscreen CNN HD on my 1080p TV. I type in 846, there's fullscreen ESPN HD on my 1080p TV. smile.gif I get every HD channel I get on my 1080p 60" living room TV on the Digital Starter line-up.

Since it's just a DTA, there's no electronic programming guide, but Comcast threw in a channel line-up brochure... smile.gif For my 1080p 27" office HD TV needs, it's fine. I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for another HD set top box, and I was already paying $2 per month for that SD DTA. Now the same money is getting me full HD with this new DTA.

In the DTA internal settings, accessed through the remote, for "HDMI" you can choose 480p, 720p, 1080i or auto. I chose 1080i, so as not to take any chances. wink.gif

IMG_20140406_150617_zps1e26a8c5.jpg

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #5490 of 5562 Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Humm
I don't have the "HD Technology" fee any more but I get HD channels.

SHHHH
Don't tell anyone.

I have Digital Preferred.

I do have one set-top box (bedroom) that I think is SD (non-DVR) and 2 cablecards. I'm running a HTPC for the living room. I do have a "Digital Service" at 2 x $9.95 = $19.90. Is that the previous "HD Tech" fee?

Comcast is like a politician ... change the words but the end result is still the same.

I'm old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page