Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

Humm
I don't have the "HD Technology" fee any more but I get HD channels.

SHHHH
Don't tell anyone.

I have Digital Preferred.

I do have one set-top box (bedroom) that I think is SD (non-DVR) and 2 cablecards. I'm running a HTPC for the living room. I do have a "Digital Service" at 2 x $9.95 = $19.90. Is that the previous "HD Tech" fee?

Comcast is like a politician ... change the words but the end result is still the same.

No, the "Digital Service" (aka "Additional Digital Outlet") fee is a separate charge.  Both are largely spurious and are imposed in seemingly arbitrary fashion by Comcast, even within the same service region.

The only reliably constant factor is that, once the fee is imposed, it is fairly impossible to get it removed.  You can, however, always complain to a retention CS rep and negotiate for some offsetting compensation such as free premium channels for a set period.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5523 Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

Humm
I don't have the "HD Technology" fee any more but I get HD channels.

SHHHH
Don't tell anyone.

I have Digital Preferred.

I do have one set-top box (bedroom) that I think is SD (non-DVR) and 2 cablecards. I'm running a HTPC for the living room. I do have a "Digital Service" at 2 x $9.95 = $19.90. Is that the previous "HD Tech" fee?

Comcast is like a politician ... change the words but the end result is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

No, the "Digital Service" (aka "Additional Digital Outlet") fee is a separate charge.  Both are largely spurious and are imposed in seemingly arbitrary fashion by Comcast, even within the same service region.

The only reliably constant factor is that, once the fee is imposed, it is fairly impossible to get it removed.  You can, however, always complain to a retention CS rep and negotiate for some offsetting compensation such as free premium channels for a set period.

The reason the fee is ridiculous is because HD is not "new" technology anymore. If cable/satellite service companies didn't offer HD they wouldn't have any customers. DirecTV does not charge extra fees per month for "HD" channels -- they do charge you extra for HD receiver/DVR to get HD channels, but often waive that fee. With Comcast, I'm already paying extra for HD DVR each month. Plus, I'm paying enough already for cable service. So, why am I also being charged a $10 "HD Technology Fee"? It should come with HD as part of the service. or as part of the HD/DVR? It's like a car dealer selling you a car, then charging extra for the tires. rolleyes.gif

That nonsensical $10 fee is about the only thing I don't like about Comcast. I'm happy with their Internet service, I'm happy with the selection of channels I get on Digital Starter tier The few times I've needed repair service for myself or over at my parents house, the technicians have been efficient and effective. (Internet speeds were low and they ran all new cable from the street for me, which fixed the issue.) The SD DTA thing ticked me off -- especially when they promised it would be free, but then started charging me $2 per month.... But now that's fixed since they gave me a HD DTA for the office.

comcastbill_zps1135ea61.png

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #5493 of 5523 Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

The reason the fee is ridiculous is because HD is not "new" technology anymore. If cable/satellite service companies didn't offer HD they wouldn't have any customers. DirecTV does not charge extra for "HD" channels -- they make you pay extra for HD receiver/DVR to get HD channels, but often waive that fee. With Comcast, I'm already paying extra for HD DVR each month. I'm paying enough already for cable service. So, why am I also being charged a $10 HD Technology Fee? It should come with HD as part of the service. It's like a car dealer selling you a car, then charging extra for the tires. rolleyes.gif

That nonsensical $10 fee is about the only thing I don't like about Comcast. I'm happy with their Internet service, I'm happy with the selection of channels I get on Digital Starter tier The few times I've needed service for myself or over at my parents house, the technicians have been efficient and effective. The SD DTA thing ticked me off -- especially when they promised it would be free but then started charging me $2 per month.... But now that's fixed since they gave me a HD DTA for the office.

Actually, my interpretation of your bill is that you are being charged $18 p.m. for the HD-DVR (including the HD functionality).  I haven't done any research lately, but I believe $15 to $18 p.m. is pretty typical for a MSO-supplied HD-DVR and is also roughly equivalent to (though slightly higher than) the non-discounted monthly TiVo service charge.  However, as I pointed out earlier, with TiVo you get a much superior DVR, which is your property to hold or sell, and you can opt for the product lifetime service which pays for itself within about 2-1/2 years.

Greedy, largely unregulated mega-corporations like Comcast will tack on every last additional fee they can get away with, so caveat emptor and just be happy they don't charge you extra for the color video transmission!  (And btw last time I checked, AT&T's Uverse was pretty stringent about accessing the "HD Technology Fee" across the board.)

post #5494 of 5523 Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
That's correct - you pay one HD tech fee here for all your HD boxes, then an outlet fee (or DVR fee) per box. Your DTA had nothing to do with it, and if you returned the DVR it would probably come off and you'd still get all the HD channels on the DTA.

All I have is a couple of Cablecards and I don't pay the fee, but I get all the HD channels. Other areas of the country (like Chicago, IIRC) impose the HD fee to get the channels and if you try to have it removed (even with just cards like me) you don't get HD. As is the case with everything Comcast, YMMV.
post #5495 of 5523 Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Actually, my interpretation of your bill is that you are being charged $18 p.m. for the HD-DVR (including the HD functionality).  I haven't done any research lately, but I believe $15 to $18 p.m. is pretty typical for a MSO-supplied HD-DVR and is also roughly equivalent to (though slightly higher than) the non-discounted monthly TiVo service charge.  However, as I pointed out earlier, with TiVo you get a much superior DVR, which is your property to hold or sell, and you can opt for the product lifetime service which pays for itself within about 2-1/2 years.

Greedy, largely unregulated mega-corporations like Comcast will tack on every last additional fee they can get away with, so caveat emptor and just be happy they don't charge you extra for the color video transmission!  (And btw last time I checked, AT&T's Uverse was pretty stringent about accessing the "HD Technology Fee" across the board.)

I think the $10 HD tech fee is separate from the $8 HD DVR. I think it would stay on the bill even if I returned the DVR. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

That's correct - you pay one HD tech fee here for all your HD boxes, then an outlet fee (or DVR fee) per box. Your DTA had nothing to do with it, and if you returned the DVR it would probably come off and you'd still get all the HD channels on the DTA.

All I have is a couple of Cablecards and I don't pay the fee, but I get all the HD channels. Other areas of the country (like Chicago, IIRC) impose the HD fee to get the channels and if you try to have it removed (even with just cards like me) you don't get HD. As is the case with everything Comcast, YMMV.

I think you are right that the HD tech fee covers all the boxes. The DTA did have something to do with it, because all I had was an older SD DTA which I swapped for an universal (SD + HD DTA) which then allowed me to get HD channels using the DTA HDMI connection (which the old DTA did not have).

post #5496 of 5523 Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I might suggest you guys check in to the double play pricing, I was paying my cable and internet as separate items, but getting the double play reduced my bill by $30 per month, same service just now "bundled", and I got to take advantage of a promotion when I signed up saving more coin for the first year, no contracts, you can cancel when ever. I haven't seen an HD fee in years, and thought that went away after HD become more popular. I'll note that I don't have any Comcast STB's or DVR's, , I've been using a ceton tuner, with one cable card for the past 30 months or so.

based on those fees, it might be worth looking in to the cable card tuners available. I'm sure the prices have changed on the STB's, but I was paying roughly $30-35 for two DVR's, before switching to ceton, $360 a year in rental fees. Nuts when you think about it. I already had two HPTC's, so the ceton tuner has more than paid for it's self.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #5497 of 5523 Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct, I have posted here before that I get the double play bundle every year simply by calling and playing Comcast off against U-Verse. My current deal is Preferred cable + Performance HSI for $90 a month, and with two Cablecards, credits, and taxes it's less than $100 a month total. When it expires in December I'll just call retention again and I'm sure I'll get something similar.
post #5498 of 5523 Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Same here.  With only two CableCARD's and no HD Comcast equipment, I have never been assessed the "HD Technology Fee."

post #5499 of 5523 Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Correct, I have posted here before that I get the double play bundle every year simply by calling and playing Comcast off against U-Verse. My current deal is Preferred cable + Performance HSI for $90 a month, and with two Cablecards, credits, and taxes it's less than $100 a month total. When it expires in December I'll just call retention again and I'm sure I'll get something similar.

yeah, I plan to do the same when my 12 month term is up. ATT has hit my neighborhood hard, ATT reps are out going door to door, trespassing none the less, but they have done well, I've seen a many ATT trucks out installing uverse. Not to mention, they keep sending out offers where they'll give up to $500 bucks if you switch phone, internet and cable service. If I was an average user I'd would have switched for $500. but sadly, cable internet is as good as it gets, and I love my MCE setup up with the ceton.

Oh, I need to say this, I thought it was funny, last week, I did have an internet outage on my street, I called up and said I would like to report an internet outage, and the Comcast rep is like, we are not showing an outage for your area, and I'm like, I know that's why I'm reporting the outage. I tried for 10minutes to tell the rep I have an outage, and they kept trying to read the stupid script, is your modem power on, unplug for 30 minutes, I finally gave up, and they said they would roll a truck would take a day or two, what ever.. So next day, my wife was working from home, and a Comcast tech showed up at my neighbors, seems they got a new Tivio, and they couldn't get it to work, so my wife goes over and says, hey, our internet is out, are they having the same problem, tech says no, blah, blah, well you need internet for Tivo, and that's the problem, an hour later, the tech guy stops by my house, and says, yeah, looks like there's a internet outage on our street, yeah, no $H!t.

post #5500 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thank you for pricing. I switched to a triple play because it was cheaper than the double play I was paying, and now I can't see my bill or get my Xbox 360 app working because I never activate the phone modem. Retention told me "There is no Double play package". Just have to let them know what what the package contains, and maybe they will "magically" find it.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #5501 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

Thank you for pricing. I switched to a triple play because it was cheaper than the double play I was paying, and now I can't see my bill or get my Xbox 360 app working because I never activate the phone modem. Retention told me "There is no Double play package". Just have to let them know what what the package contains, and maybe they will "magically" find it.

so with the triple play, your stuck renting either the voip phone adapter or is is a combination adapter modem? I looked into this a couple of years ago, and seems you had to rent a voip device from them. Comcast use to allow you to buy the device from certain Comcast kiosk's usually located in Best Buy or similar, but I had no luck finding one, and I read there were issues if you bought used. IDK, couldn't find a straight answer, and gave up. Not to mention, their voip plan in the triple play was't any cheaper if I recall than my Vonage account plus the double play.

post #5502 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

so with the triple play, your stuck renting either the voip phone adapter or is is a combination adapter modem? I looked into this a couple of years ago, and seems you had to rent a voip device from them. Comcast use to allow you to buy the device from certain Comcast kiosk's usually located in Best Buy or similar, but I had no luck finding one, and I read there were issues if you bought used. IDK, couldn't find a straight answer, and gave up. Not to mention, their voip plan in the triple play was't any cheaper if I recall than my Vonage account plus the double play.

When I had Triple play last year, they had a big push to replace their old equipment with this new combo unit. It's a Cable Modem/VOIP device/Wireless AP. And, if you don't log into the device and dig around, you'll also enable open WiFi for all Comcast customers. It's not charged to your bandwidth cap though. If you ever see "xfinityWiFI", I believe that's where it's coming from. Anyway, I decided to switch my phone service to Verizon, as it was cheaper, and I wanted to get rid of the unit because the Wireless does not play well with Xbox 360s. But now that I've gone back to a cheaper Triple Play package, the phone issue has flared up. I got an email from the Executive support, so I just need to call them and tell them that I'll pay what I am paying now - just take off the phone!

Go Jackets!
post #5503 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

When I had Triple play last year, they had a big push to replace their old equipment with this new combo unit. It's a Cable Modem/VOIP device/Wireless AP. And, if you don't log into the device and dig around, you'll also enable open WiFi for all Comcast customers. It's not charged to your bandwidth cap though. If you ever see "xfinityWiFI", I believe that's where it's coming from. Anyway, I decided to switch my phone service to Verizon, as it was cheaper, and I wanted to get rid of the unit because the Wireless does not play well with Xbox 360s. But now that I've gone back to a cheaper Triple Play package, the phone issue has flared up. I got an email from the Executive support, so I just need to call them and tell them that I'll pay what I am paying now - just take off the phone!

But do you have to pay a monthly rental fee on the Cable Modem/VOIP device/Wireless AP? I refuse to be forced into paying rental fees.

post #5504 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes of course. And they really pushed hard to get me to go triple play last December, I had to tell the guy repeatedly that we don't want their phone, we all had cells with unlimited minutes and our own VOIP setup for landline. Then he put me on hold and magically found the deal for the same double play package I already had. rolleyes.gif

Supposedly there is an EMTA that you can get for Comcast at BestBuy to avoid the rental, but I'll never take triple play.
post #5505 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I might suggest you guys check in to the double play pricing, I was paying my cable and internet as separate items, but getting the double play reduced my bill by $30 per month, same service just now "bundled", and I got to take advantage of a promotion when I signed up saving more coin for the first year, no contracts, you can cancel when ever. I haven't seen an HD fee in years, and thought that went away after HD become more popular. I'll note that I don't have any Comcast STB's or DVR's, , I've been using a ceton tuner, with one cable card for the past 30 months or so.

based on those fees, it might be worth looking in to the cable card tuners available. I'm sure the prices have changed on the STB's, but I was paying roughly $30-35 for two DVR's, before switching to ceton, $360 a year in rental fees. Nuts when you think about it. I already had two HPTC's, so the ceton tuner has more than paid for it's self.

That bill I posted is for double play. The Internet charge is reduced $10 because I'm bundling TV & Internet. Performance Internet is $64.95 by itself, but $54.95 if bundled with TV or Comcast telephone.

post #5506 of 5523 Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That bill I posted is for double play. The Internet charge is reduced $10 because I'm bundling TV & Internet. Performance Internet is $64.95 by itself, but $54.95 if bundled with TV or Comcast telephone.

after enrolling last year in double play, my bill has a single line, with a flat price, cable service and internet service is no longer itemized with individual pricing. If you only subscribe to internet with out cable you typically pay $10 more for internet, I ran into that when I was looking to cut the cord several years ago but just adding cable is not their double play, either way, just trying to help a brother out.

below is how cable and internet show up on my bill notice it's listed as double play.

Preferred Xf Double Play 04/01 - 04/30
Includes Digital Preferred With Access To On
Demand Programming and Performance
Internet Service

post #5507 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any X1 experiences? Scheduled for an install this Saturday afternoon....

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #5508 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

Any X1 experiences? Scheduled for an install this Saturday afternoon....

I'm curious as well. I signed up for Triple Play with Anyroom DVR a couple years ago and have been told since then that an upgrade to X1 is easier if you cancel all and start over. I was told by a CC rep at BrandSmart that most of the bugs were worked out......however, I'm not interested in doing any more beta testing on CC gear..at least not for free!!

Please keep us informed on your experiences.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5509 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had mine for a few weeks now. Great in concept, lacking in execution. A lot of instances of boxes being so non-responsive I have to unplug them, and then sometimes they are still non-responsive after rebooting. Almost always a noticeable delay when bringing up menus or attempting to change channels (since the search functionality is integrated into entering a channel number, it seems to execute a search any time you start entering a number). Different parts of the UI draw in at different speeds, so it can be very jarring waiting for the correct channel logos to update to match the numbers on the current guide page, or for cover art to load in when browsing on demand content. If they can get the performance improved, I'd be a very happy camper because the features are robust and the UI is pretty when it works. As it is, I'd give it a C+ overall probably. I do theorize that some of the lag issues could be occurring due to low signal quality, as they seem to correspond to when my modem disconnects, but that just tells me that more information needs to be stored on the individual boxes so they don't have to communicate to do basic things like change channels or check out my recorded shows.
post #5510 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post

I've had mine for a few weeks now. Great in concept, lacking in execution. A lot of instances of boxes being so non-responsive I have to unplug them, and then sometimes they are still non-responsive after rebooting. Almost always a noticeable delay when bringing up menus or attempting to change channels (since the search functionality is integrated into entering a channel number, it seems to execute a search any time you start entering a number). Different parts of the UI draw in at different speeds, so it can be very jarring waiting for the correct channel logos to update to match the numbers on the current guide page, or for cover art to load in when browsing on demand content. If they can get the performance improved, I'd be a very happy camper because the features are robust and the UI is pretty when it works. As it is, I'd give it a C+ overall probably. I do theorize that some of the lag issues could be occurring due to low signal quality, as they seem to correspond to when my modem disconnects, but that just tells me that more information needs to be stored on the individual boxes so they don't have to communicate to do basic things like change channels or check out my recorded shows.

Consistent with what I have heard from others. Great features...if it just worked all the time...or at least most of it. I've looked at the system in action at sales kiosks and at a CC 'store', and was impressed, but if it doesn't work I'm waiting a while.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5511 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments, decisions decisions.

post #5512 of 5523 Old 04-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone here who has had hands-on experience with both products/services offer an evaluation of the X1 as compared to TiVo Premiere or Roamio?

post #5513 of 5523 Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

A PICTURE IS WORTH ONE THOUSAND WORDS:

Matt Wuerker

by Matt Wuerker, Friday, April 18, 2014

post #5514 of 5523 Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

after enrolling last year in double play, my bill has a single line, with a flat price, cable service and internet service is no longer itemized with individual pricing. If you only subscribe to internet with out cable you typically pay $10 more for internet, I ran into that when I was looking to cut the cord several years ago but just adding cable is not their double play, either way, just trying to help a brother out.

below is how cable and internet show up on my bill notice it's listed as double play.

Preferred Xf Double Play 04/01 - 04/30
Includes Digital Preferred With Access To On
Demand Programming and Performance
Internet Service

Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what I can negotiate.

post #5515 of 5523 Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you select the option to cancel or downgrade service, that gets you to the retention reps with the best offers. Also mention competing U-Verse offers if they're in your area.
post #5516 of 5523 Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Or just speak to someone and say "Retention please"

Go Jackets!
post #5517 of 5523 Old 04-20-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Install went well. Main box plus 3 HD boxes, seems to work well so far. Was able to use an auxiliary box to set up DVR recordings. Used another auxiliary box to access a recorded show this AM.

post #5518 of 5523 Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looking to sign up with Comcast for our new house when we move (Cobb). I see they aren't offering the 2-year rate freeze any more (on their website). Any recommendations for an independent Comcast salesperson to sign up for service with? IIRC, the independents usually get you a better deal.
post #5519 of 5523 Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, new Comcast/Xfinity CTV/Internet rates go into effect August 1, 2014.

And for chuckles, check out the following hilarious 8-minute telephone conversation between a Comcast customer with the patience of Job asking to have his service disconnected and an imbecilic, incredibly obnoxious CSR:https://m.soundcloud.com/ryan-block-...castic-service
post #5520 of 5523 Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
And for chuckles, check out the following hilarious 8-minute telephone conversation between a Comcast customer with the patience of Job asking to have his service disconnected and an imbecilic, incredibly obnoxious CSR:https://m.soundcloud.com/ryan-block-...castic-service
man, this is nuts, you would think this CSR was about to land a million dollar account.

I'm in sales, and this CSR, could do much better selling something of greater value, sure I would be annoyed as hell by this CSR and more than likely would have hung up on him, but come on, check out the persistence, question dodging, I love it.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page