AVS Forum banner

Atlanta, GA - Comcast

812K views 6K replies 584 participants last post by  slowbiscuit 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard a timeline for introduction of HDTV in the Atlanta area on AT&T Broadband? Per the new regulations, they are required to start offering channels in January 2003, but no one I have spoken to at AT&T appears to even knows what HDTV is, much less when/how it will be available.

With 7 OTA HDTV stations in Atlanta, I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a STB now or wait the next fews months (or years?) for HDTV over cable. Any suggestions?

#4,585 ·
I live in the 30324 zip, and Comcast converted the remaining high tier (>26) analog channels to digital on Tuesday, March 9th. They did not scramble the QAM channels in the process. However, all the new digital QAM channels added are all scrambled. Some duplicate QAM channels are in the clear in the new set mirroring what is available in channels 80 (physical RF channel) and above.

I fully expect Comcast will eventually scramble all QAM channels except the locals, the shopping channels, and barker channels when their digital conversion project is done. Expecting this, we were forced to get two cheap DTAs for our home which just have analog Ch. 3/4 outputs.

#4,586 ·
This post is for anyone trying to understand the limitations of the DTA on Comcast. I have the Family Tier and the DTA does not work with that plan. I hooked them up to my TVs and after talking with a CSR, she could not get them to come up. She did some checking and discovered they won't work with that plan. It wouldn't even connect to show the local channels. My options are either upgrade my plan, get additional STBs, or discontinue use of 2 TVs once the digital rollover is complete. I could still watch DVDs on them but no more broadcast channels. I may have to get those OTA adapters.

#4,587 ·
Great news...the higher channels at the YMCA on Moores Mill (@ I-75, 30327) were out today...when I last went Monday night they were still on. Sure confused the old folks there though! (And FYI there were a few channels in in the digital range (ex. 80-32 was Weather Channel) that worked, but most were blocked).

Can't wait to get home (north 30318) to see if the same thing happened on my TV I did not hook to the converter box.

#4,589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvatexn /forum/post/18287969

Great news...the higher channels at the YMCA on Moores Mill (@ I-75, 30327) were out today...when I last went Monday night they were still on. Sure confused the old folks there though! (And FYI there were a few channels in in the digital range (ex. 80-32 was Weather Channel) that worked, but most were blocked).

Can't wait to get home (north 30318) to see if the same thing happened on my TV I did not hook to the converter box.

I'm off of Moores Mill west of 75 & W. Wesley. Analog channels are still on. I'm less than 2 miles from the YMCA. Arrg!!

#4,590 ·
Totally unrelated to the new HD...any options on an RF remote with the Comcast boxes? Any help appreciated....sorry if this is not the right place for the question.

#4,592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gregory /forum/post/18293448

Kudos to Comcast for the test pattern on 802 during the SEC Tournament!

LOL, I have no idea why they have so much trouble turning this channel on, especially when real HD is there.

#4,594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gregory /forum/post/18293448

Kudos to Comcast for the test pattern on 802 during the SEC Tournament!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg /forum/post/18293950

LOL, I have no idea why they have so much trouble turning this channel on, especially when real HD is there.

And, of course, Comcast is a sponsor of the broadcast.

#4,595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyuri /forum/post/18277309

The "metal box" has absolutely nothing to do with "ensure(ing) you get what you pay for". It is how the fiber enters your home. The only thing it ensures is that the fiber stays lit.

then you missed what I was replying to.

some guy said he used to have Verizon FIOS (or knew someone who had or something) and he was able to plug the coaxial cable straight into the TV and see all his channels. He was trying to refute the "electronic" verification that the Comcast boxes and cable cards are designed to do.

To that I call some BS. I have enough friends who live in other states and have Verizon FIOS. There is no such thing as QAM with Verizon FIOS. You will only get the channels you pay for.

Verizon requires a STB for any digital channels. Verizon says so:

Quote:
Do I need a separate Set Top Box for every TV in my house?

If you subscribe to any digital packages or premium channels, you will need a Set Top Box for each television where you wish to access that programming. Set Top Boxes are also needed for Pay-Per-View, On Demand, and the Interactive Programming Guide. To access the basic analog service only (no premium channels, etc.), a Set Top Box is not required, but you will need a cable-ready TV or appropriate adapter.

Can I hook up multiple TVs with Verizon FiOS TV Service?

Yes. Set Top Boxes are required for each television where you would like to receive digital programming (all packages and channels beyond the FiOS TV Local Package). You can install FiOS TV on up to 7 televisions with Set Top Boxes. Any TVs connected without a Set Top Box to a coax outlet will receive the analog channels provided in the FiOS TV Local Package. Our representatives and technicians will work with you to set up the best FiOS TV network in your home.

So without set top boxes, all you will get is local channels. Which turns your Verizon FIOS into just a fancy OTA antenna. Everyone (Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Dish, DirecTV) requires electronic verification -- either STB or cable card -- to actually receive subscription TV channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyuri /forum/post/18277309

I also dispute that there is anyone sitting in front of their HDTV with a limited basic sub and entering the QAM channel numbers to watch other stuff. It is does not pass the laugh test.

I know several people who are. End of subject. "Several" being a handful of co-workers and acqaintances. One guy I know surfs through the channels finding PPV movies his neighbors are watching -- which he can do with QAM on his 52" LCD HDTV. Another woman I know has expanded basic and uses QAM on her HDTV to watch FoxNews and all the HD channels. Now I personally think Comcast shouldn't charge extra for HD access -- but they do. And people are using QAM to watch above their tier. And now people are mad because they won't be able to. That's what this whole argument is really about.

You are kidding or very naive.
There's tons of requests in this very thread for QAM channel numbers. Over and over and over. Some/many of these people are doing it because they are not authorized to watch that tier of channels but can do it through the magic of digital QAM. When I got my 19" HDTV for Christmas I got a brief thrill seeing that I could watch Bio, Science, and Nat Geo on my small new TV that my 60" HDTV in the living room cannot see. (I have Digital Starter tier with HD DVR). But I now have the 19" hooked to the DTA.

#4,596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt /forum/post/18295510

then you missed what I was replying to.

some guy said he used to have Verizon FIOS (or knew someone who had or something) and he was able to plug the coaxial cable straight into the TV and see all his channels. He was trying to refute the "electronic" verification that the Comcast boxes and cable cards are designed to do.

To that I call some BS. I have enough friends who live in other states and have Verizon FIOS. There is no such thing as QAM with Verizon FIOS. You will only get the channels you pay for.

Verizon requires a STB for any digital channels. Verizon says so:

So without set top boxes, all you will get is local channels. Which turns your Verizon FIOS into just a fancy OTA antenna. Everyone (Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Dish, DirecTV) requires electronic verification -- either STB or cable card -- to actually receive subscription TV channels.

That was me. Just plugging in the cable gave you channels 1-50 (or there abouts). That included your local channels as well as some cable channels (WGN America, TBS, others IIRC). I never said you could get *all* channels.

Quote:
I know several people who are. End of subject. "Several" being a handful of co-workers and acqaintances. One guy I know surfs through the channels finding PPV movies his neighbors are watching -- which he can do with QAM on his 52" LCD HDTV. Another woman I know has expanded basic and uses QAM on her HDTV to watch FoxNews and all the HD channels. Now I personally think Comcast shouldn't charge extra for HD access -- but they do. And people are using QAM to watch above their tier. And now people are mad because they won't be able to. That's what this whole argument is really about.

I call ********. End of discussion. What HD channels, other than the locals, are available in QAM? None that I have found. Comcast is not allowed to charge extra for access to HD locals. Fox News is included in Expanded Basic.

Quote:
You are kidding or very naive.
There's tons of requests in this very thread for QAM channel numbers. Over and over and over. Some/many of these people are doing it because they are not authorized to watch that tier of channels but can do it through the magic of digital QAM. When I got my 19" HDTV for Christmas I got a brief thrill seeing that I could watch Bio, Science, and Nat Geo on my small new TV that my 60" HDTV in the living room cannot see. (I have Digital Starter tier with HD DVR). But I now have the 19" hooked to the DTA.

Yes, there are lots of requests for them and lots of valid reasons for them. Using digital tuners requires you to know the QAM channel number of whatever it is you want to watch. People who visit this site use products like HDHR at a much larger clip than the general population.

So I just don't buy it. People in this thread have made clear how this is simply a money grab for Comcast.

#4,597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyuri /forum/post/18298861

What HD channels, other than the locals, are available in QAM? None that I have found. Comcast is not allowed to charge extra for access to HD locals. Fox News is included in Expanded Basic.

You are kidding, right?
Comcast DOES charge extra for the HD channels. Go look at their pricing. $8 extra per month. ALL the subscription TV services (cable TV, satellite TV, telephone TV) charge extra for HD channels. (I have a friend who has the SD package only with Uverse as he does not have an HDTV.) Comcast is just now starting to enforce it by taking away clear QAM channels.

All the TV services -- including Comcast -- have ALWAYS charged extra for HD channels. Here you go, straight from the Comcast website.

If you get the HD DVR it includes the HD channels for your package tier, you don't have to pay extra for HD and the DVR. But if you don't want the HD DVR, you still have to pay the $8 for HD access to ANY subscription TV channels (except OTA).

But if you are watching HD channels without paying Comcast extra money, then you are "stealing" cable TV.

And many, many HD channels can be found in clear QAM. If you read my post instead of blindly replying you would see that I watched Bio, Science, and Nat Geo in HD in clear QAM above my subscription tier for awhile on my office HDTV. Comcast is plugging the hole that allows this, just as all the other subscription TV services in metro Atlanta area do not allow this.

Do you really have Comcast ?

==============

Here's AT&T's Uverse:

Note they charge $10 extra for their HD package.

DirecTV also changes a $10 monthly fee for "HD Access".

#4,599 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 /forum/post/18299323

To end the arguments about what you can and cannot get on QAM, just enter your ZIP in SiliconDust's Digital Channel searcher . It's fed by HDHR user boxes and is pretty much current.

There's also this from a couple of months ago. May be the same info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans4ever /forum/post/17882268

These are the qam channels you will be able to see with the tv tuner until comcast converts then you will need a box from CC. Everything is 480I unless marked with HD. Comcast Atlanta

Channel # Name

5.246 GPB Know

5.247 GPB Kids

5.802 WPCH PeachTree HD 1080I

5.808 GPTV 8 HD 1080I

27.64 DISNEY

29.2 WATL 36 HD 720P

29.810 WUPA CW 69 HD 1080I

34.1 UNIVISION

45.812 WPXA ION HD 720P

45.816 PBA 30 HD 1080I

62.805 Blank

63.1 TBN

67.150 GEM

73.10 CBS HD 1080I

73.30 NBC 11 HD 1080I

73.211 NBC WEATHER

73.245 NBC US

80.201 WSB 2 ABC

80.202 WAGA 5 Fox

80.203 WXIA NBC

80.204 WPCH Peachtree

80.205 WGTV GPB

80.206 WGCL CBS

80.207 CW 69 WUPA

80.209 WPXA ION

80.21O WATL 36

80.212 PBA 30

81.5 Religious

81.10 Blank

81.21 DEALZ

81.22 Infomercial

81.23 Board Of Education

81.24 Board Of Education

81.25 Infomercial

81.26 Infomercial

81.27 TV Guide

81.32 TWC

82.39 TBS

82.120 MSNBC

82.134 G4

83.129 STYLE

82.202 LMN

84.1 TV Land

84.2 CNBC

84.3 Sports South

84.4 History

84.5 Spike

84.7 TCM

84.11 Lifetime

84.12 Food

84.13 TruTV

84.22 Bravo

84.54 Oxygen

85.101 CSS

85.102 Fox News

85.103 ESPN

85.104 ABC Family

85.105 TNT

85.106 HGTV

85.107 FX

85.108 ESPN2

85.109 FOX SPORTS

85.110 CMT

85.111 WGN America

85.112 Religious

86.207 Bloomberg

93.3 A&E TV

93.12 Versus

93.56 E Entertainment

93.75 SPEED

93.111 Hallmark

93.298 ESPN U

96.530 Spanish

96.532 Spanish

98.3 WSB ABC 2 HD 720P

98.248 RTV

98.804 WAGA Fox 5 HD 720P

100.63 Religious Channel

100.125 CSPAN 3

100.128 Atlanta Homes

100.129 GemsTV

103.101 BET

103.102 Cartoon Network

103.103 Comedy Central

103.104 MTV

103.105 Disney

103.106 Nick

103.107 Sy fy

103.108 AMC

103.109 Discovery

103.110 TLC

103.111 VH1

103.112 USA

104.201 C-Span

104.202 C-Span2

104.203 Animal Planet

104.204 Travel Channel

104.205 TV one

104.207 CNN Live

104.208 Golf Channel

104.209 HSN

104.210 QVC

104.212 HLN

109.218 History Int

109.219 Bio

111.801 PPV

114.271 PBS KIDS

114.503 Telemundo

116.2 On Demand

I have Digital Starter tier which does NOT include all these channels, but I was able to see them all on my office HDTV until I hooked the DAT up. I was just curious since my 60" living room TV has always had the HD DVR package.

#4,602 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 /forum/post/18299947

Plus your list indicates a box will be needed for all channels, when, in fact, HD locals will continue to be QAM accessible.

That is not clear. Read Comcast's own words. Read the sentence about HD, the sentence after the one underlined.

That directly contradicts your statement?

============
UPDATE:

I did some google research and ran across this from last fall, a Comcast memo from another market. This seems to support your point of view. You can still see the local HDs if you add an A/B switch, which Comcast will provide. But you will still need a box/cable card to see all the other channels. I may get the A/B switch for my office TV.

I bolded the important parts:

Quote:
RE: Content Protection Rollout

As part of Project Cavalry, Comcast began deploying digital transport adapters, or DTAs, to provide Comcast’s Expanded Basic analog customers with digital service. Since the start of Project Cavalry, Comcast had to turn off encryption (also known as digital content protection) on Expanded Basic channels for a limited period of time. Due to a recent FCC ruling, Comcast is now able to deploy digital content protection technology to DTAs. Comcast has begun notifying customers about its plans to “turn on” digital content protection on DTAs that have been deployed to date.

When It’s Happening

For our Region, the encryption process begins on November 10th. Customers are starting to receive notification this week via notices in local newspapers. In addition, customers that we have identified as being impacted by the encryption will receive additional notices starting next week through the encryption period. We are planning to encrypt channels in two groups on November 10th and 17th.

Receiving In-the-Clear Channels

In-the-clear channels are channels that a customer receives via their QAM TV tuner and not via their digital device. In order to receive the “in the clear” digital channels, a customer with a QAM TV would have had to “scan” for channels using the on-screen menus included with their TV during the brief window of time the channels were unencrypted. If a customer with a QAM TV never re-scanned for channels following the start of Project Cavalry in a market, they likely had not been receiving any digital channels, and would be receiving only the Limited Basic analog channels on their TV.

Non-Impacted Customers

The following groups of customers are not impacted by the content protection process.

* Any customer TV connected to a digital device

Customers with TVs connected to a cable box, DTA or CableCard will experience no loss of channels or service with the implementation of digital content protection.

* Limited Basic Customers (who do not have QAM TVs)

Customers with only Limited Basic service will not experience a disruption in service during Comcast’s latest network enhancement.

Potentially Impacted Customers

At-Risk Customers are any customers who have a QAM tuner TV not connected to digital device. This includes these three situations:

* QAM TVs with Expanded Basic or Digital Starter level of service NOT connected to a digital device

After the encryption process, these customers will need a digital device to view all channels in their package.

* QAM TVs receiving over-the-air HD channels

These customers will no longer be able to view over-the-air high-definition broadcast channels without adding an A/B switch. [more info below]

* QAM TVs with Limited Basic service that have been receiving Expanded Basic channels in the clear

These customers will not be able to receive the Expanded Basic channel lineup without upgrading their level of service and obtaining a digital device.

FAQs and Employee Talking Points

What is a QAM Tuner?

· A QAM tuner is a device present in some televisions that allows the TV to receive “in-the-clear” digital channels without a digital cable box.

· In some cases, QAM tuners on HDTVs allow customers to receive over-the-air HD channels. Typically these channels include local affiliates for CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. Once a DTA or a Standard Definition digital cable box is connected to a television, the customer with a QAM tuner will have to use an A/B switch to continue viewing over-air HD programming on their television. Or, a customer can receive even more HD programming by upgrading to an HD capable cable box from Comcast.

What does a customer watching Expanded Basic cable channels via a QAM TV not attached to a digital device have to do?

In order to receive Expanded Basic or higher service, customers must have Comcast digital equipment, either a DTA, digital cable box, or CableCard from Comcast connected to their TV.

· Expanded Basic customers are eligible for 1 digital cable box and up to 2 DTAs at no additional charge.

· Digital Starter or above customers are eligible for up to 2 DTAs, at no additional charge/included with the service.

· If the customer wants to upgrade to HD service, an HD capable digital cable box or CableCard on a CableCard compatible device is required. There will be an additional monthly charge for this.

Why is Comcast implementing digital content protection now? And why are QAM tuners impacted now?

We have always protected the content on our service. Many of our programming contracts require that we protect our channels from unauthorized viewing.

For a brief period of time, certain customers with QAM TVs may have temporarily been able to access channels that they had not subscribed to, or channels that require a box to view them. For these customers, we are providing three digital devices at no additional cost to receive Expanded Basic channels. It is important to note that all other non-cable operators require a box to receive these same services.

Will customers need equipment if they have a digital TV with a QAM tuner?

Yes. At the completion of Comcast’s latest network enhancement, customers will need equipment on all TVs to receive any channels above the Limited Basic level of service. Comcast currently plans to make the Limited Basic level of service available in analog format, with no equipment required. Furthermore, Limited Basic customers with QAM TVs will be able to view Limited Basic digital channels without additional equipment. We are providing Expanded Basic customers with three digital devices at no additional cost.

How many Comcast customers have QAM tuner televisions and/or will be impacted?

There is no way of knowing how many of our customers own QAM tuner televisions; however, the universe of impacted customers is likely very small. In order to receive the “in the clear” digital channels, a customer with a QAM TV would have had to “scan” for channels using the on-screen menus included with their TV during a small window of time during Project Cavalry.

Do other video providers, such as DirecTV or DISH use digital content protection to encrypt channels?

Yes. All video providers are contractually required to protect the content they distribute from unauthorized reception. There are a variety of technologies used, which is why the equipment used is typically specific to a service provider.

What will a customer watching Expanded Basic cable channels via a QAM tuner TV not attached to a digital device see after digital content protection is turned on?

If service is interrupted on a QAM tuner television, channels may be displayed in several different ways, depending on the manufacturer/make of the TV. Some TVs may display a blue screen, some will display snow and some may broadcast the TV manufacturer’s message.

If customers currently have Comcast Expanded Basic service and receive broadcast high-definition (HD) channels with their QAM tuner TV, how will this be affected by using a DTA?

These customers will no longer be able to view over-the-air high-definition broadcast channels without adding an A/B switch. Comcast will provide everything necessary to continue viewing these channels to these customers at no additional charge (an A/B switch, splitter and the appropriate cables). Customers can pick these up at their local Comcast office or order a self-install kit from our national support center.

Additionally, Comcast offers HD cable boxes for a monthly equipment fee, which provides access to cable networks in HD, and over 1,000 HD choices.

Limited Basic customers with a QAM TV would continue to be able to view broadcast HD channels without Comcast equipment. There is no charge for HD content only equipment.

#4,603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg /forum/post/18300542

I enjoyed this forum MUCH more before all the petty arguing.

I enjoyed it when people knew what they were talking about. I asked questions and got informative answers. Now people seem to make up stuff that has to be refuted.

Comcast has always charged extra for HD channels. They just didn't have a way to enforce it totally. Now they do. All the other subscription TV services not only charge for HD, they charge more than Comcast! ($8 vs $10 per month) But people in this forum are angry at Comcast for some reason.

#4,604 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt /forum/post/18299064

You are kidding, right?
Comcast DOES charge extra for the HD channels. Go look at their pricing. $8 extra per month. ALL the subscription TV services (cable TV, satellite TV, telephone TV) charge extra for HD channels. (I have a friend who has the SD package only with Uverse as he does not have an HDTV.) Comcast is just now starting to enforce it by taking away clear QAM channels.

Again. Please read. I know it is hard. Comcast DOES NOT CHARGE EXTRA FOR ACCESS TO LOCAL HD STATIONS. They charge extra for cable HD stations (ESPN HD, etc).

You really don't read do you? I never said Comcast did not charge extra for cable HD channels. Just that they were not allowed to charge extra for HD Locals.

Quote:
And many, many HD channels can be found in clear QAM. If you read my post instead of blindly replying you would see that I watched Bio, Science, and Nat Geo in HD in clear QAM above my subscription tier for awhile on my office HDTV. Comcast is plugging the hole that allows this, just as all the other subscription TV services in metro Atlanta area do not allow this.

Do you really have Comcast ?

I do not see those channels available in HD on the SiliconDust list. Or any list I have seen here. They are available in SD only.

#4,605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyuri /forum/post/18301837

Again. Please read. I know it is hard. Comcast DOES NOT CHARGE EXTRA FOR ACCESS TO LOCAL HD STATIONS. They charge extra for cable HD stations (ESPN HD, etc).

You really don't read do you? I never said Comcast did not charge extra for cable HD channels. Just that they were not allowed to charge extra for HD Locals.

I do not see those channels available in HD on the SiliconDust list. Or any list I have seen here. They are available in SD only.

I admitted that point at 2:53 pm this afternoon.

I am not sure what this silly focus on LOCAL OTA HD channels is. No, when I replied to you it probably didn't register with me you want ONLY that. But I've said you don't have to pay for local HD channels.

So, Comcast can't charge for local channels. So what? They charge for the other 199 HD channels they carry. My goodness. Point is, they charge extra for HD channels. You have to be authenticated to get HD channels. The MINOR exception is HD OTA, which I said in the other post with the Comcast memo. I guess I don't understand your focus on HD OTA becuase anyone with an HD TV who subscribes to subscription service wants much more than that. They want EVERYTHING in HD.

If I want OTA HD channels I'll put up a roof antenna. Which also takes an A/B switch. It's just a glorified antenna. Anyone can do that. I want HD CABLE TV channels, period.

And Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Uverse, Charter, Verizon, EVERYBODY charges extra for HD channels. Look at their ads that I posted.

A while back you could get some HD channels in clear QAM. Maybe not now. I don't use clear QAM so I don't care. I know a friend of mine was seeing PPV movies in clear QAM. Clear QAM is going away.

Those are the main points and if you are trying to jab by saying the handful of OTA local channels will still be in HD and free, then you win a debating point which I conceded hours ago with the memo straight from Comcast.

Go read it. It might be educational.

#4,606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt /forum/post/18300615

I enjoyed it when people knew what they were talking about. I asked questions and got informative answers. Now people seem to make up stuff that has to be refuted.

Comcast has always charged extra for HD channels. They just didn't have a way to enforce it totally. Now they do. All the other subscription TV services not only charge for HD, they charge more than Comcast! ($8 vs $10 per month) But people in this forum are angry at Comcast for some reason.

I don't think the issue is about charging extra for HD channels, rather it's more about having to pay for additional boxes above the main and 2 DTA's, to get all the channels currently on 2-78 analog (and, of course, non-HD), once they encrypt all of them in the digital tier.

I know one thing...they're gonna get blasted with customer service calls.

#4,607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG /forum/post/18302642

I don't think the issue is about charging extra for HD channels, rather it's more about having to pay for additional boxes above the main and 2 DTA's, to get all the channels currently on 2-78 analog (and, of course, non-HD), once they encrypt all of them in the digital tier.

I know one thing...they're gonna get blasted with customer service calls.

I agree - Comcast did not raise the actual prices. Although they could do that too... But I will have to lease more HD STB's now to view channels I used to get on QAM including local HD's. So my bill will go up. But I will wait until they cut it off.

#4,608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt /forum/post/18302263

I guess I don't understand your focus on HD OTA becuase anyone with an HD TV who subscribes to subscription service wants much more than that. They want EVERYTHING in HD.

You might be surprised. My elderly mother subscribes to Comcast Basic. She lives in Loganville and can't get all the Atlanta locals with an antenna. But with her service she can get the locals in HD QAM just fine and will continue to get them. She could care less about getting anything else in HD and will be quite happy to get the rest via her basic Comcast box or DTA. She just wants the cheapest service available. She probably won't even notice the changeover.

#4,609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanline /forum/post/18303060

I agree - Comcast did not raise the actual prices. Although they could do that too... But I will have to lease more HD STB's now to view channels I used to get on QAM including local HD's. So my bill will go up. But I will wait until they cut it off.

Why? The only HDs I've ever seen in the clear on the Vinings headend are the locals, and they will still be available after migration in the clear.

In other words, you have ALWAYS had to rent HD STBs for extra sets if you wanted anything other than the locals, because they've always been encrypted. If you received expanded basic HD channels in the clear, it was an oversight on Comcast's part, that's all.

The discussion here is mostly about having to rent STBs for SD channels on extra TVs as HomieG said, not HD STBs, because nothing has changed on the HD front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.