Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 186 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #5551 of 5567 Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post
What does your HD DTA say when you tune to the 1995 channel?
Says it's OK.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5567 Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

However, my office HD digital adapter is OK, according to "1995". Luckily, I was able to punch the 4-digit number in there (no channel guide!) and got an on-screen message saying my adapter is fully compatible with the upcoming changes.

No other information available as to what brand, model of box they are sending to replace the living room Motorola HD/DVR.
I meant can you please post a screenshot of what the HD DTA says?
I'm guessing if you were using Motorola, the new box is gonna be Motorola or Arris (since Arris bought Motorola) as well.
Please let us know the model of the new box when you can, the info should be on the back, we're really curious.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.

Last edited by Mike Wolf; 04-22-2015 at 10:33 PM.
post #5553 of 5567 Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Has anyone proactively moved to the X1 DVRs? Comcast hasn't pushed me to do that but after hearing good feedback I decided to ask them. Everyone I know who has it upgraded said Comcast wouldn't let them do it themselves and had to send out a Tech. So when I asked Comcast they said "Go into a Comcast office and swap it out." So I told the chat agent that everyone I know had to get a tech to come out. So the agent changed their tune and agreed with me and said "We can send a tech to do that but there is a fee for the service call and an upgrade fee." So I told Comcast thanks but no thanks. Has anyone else done this and is it worth it? Thanks.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #5554 of 5567 Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf
What does your HD DTA say when you tune to the 1995 channel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
Says it's OK.
Quote:
I meant can you please post a screenshot of what the HD DTA says?
OK, here's the exact words from the HD DTA on the office TV:

Quote:
I'm guessing if you were using Motorola, the new box is gonna be Motorola or Arris (since Arris bought Motorola) as well.
Please let us know the model of the new box when you can, the info should be on the back, we're really curious.
Here's the set top box replacement from Comcast for the living room TV.

Motorola RNG200N, HD Dual Tuner DVR. You can tell it's refurb, beat up a little.

However, the RNG200N for Comcast refers to either of two models from Motorola, or one from Cisco:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17171
Quote:
Over the last few years Comcast has started to label their boxes as different numeric levels of "RNG" (Residential Network Gateway). This is a Comcast designation for cable boxes that meet a certain level of features and performance. RNG labeled cable boxes must decode both MPEG2 and MPEG4/AVC (H.264) [for future uses], have an integrated DOCSIS 2.0 (or better) modem, and be capable of supporting Tru2Way (formerly called OCAP) middleware for future software updates (i.e. X1).

The RNG designation allows Comcast to have a standard grading scheme for boxes from all set-top box vendors (i.e. Motorola, Pace, Cisco, and any other brands that Comcast chooses to buy from in the future). An "N" in the model number tells us that it has MoCA networking for AnyRoom DVR support.

It is expected that boxes compliant with the RNG specifications will eventually get the X1 Guide software.

RNG200N -- This is the top level of features. It is an AnyRoom capable DVR. This generic labeling has been applied to Cisco DVRs and to Motorola DVRs. Pace also has an RNG200N on their products website, but it appears Comcast is not using these yet.

In Motorola systems RNG200N refers to two models: either DCX3400/M or most recently DCX3501/M.
The DCX3501/M shows up as code "MOR200BN" in the equipment listing of the Comcast customer website.

Like Pace, Cisco has started to offer up product pages using the Comcast naming scheme in addition to their traditional "Explorer" naming scheme for other cable providers. The newest Cisco DVR that Comcast and Cisco label as RNG200N is basically a Cisco Explorer 8652HDC.
I have the Motorola DCX3501-M. (< specs there) Picture below from bottom of my "new" unit.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 04-24-2015 at 08:24 AM.
post #5555 of 5567 Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the update ChazzMatt.

I've got two ancient Motorola, that sport whopping 160GB hard drives (or thereabouts) but both support estata, so I've got a WD 1TB expander on my two DVR's. My main concern about this upgrade is disk space and loss of shows. I've got whole seasons of shows on the basement DVR we queue up for summer. I know I'll lose the shows, but I wonder if these new boxes support the esata port.

Ron
post #5556 of 5567 Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM

This link: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...a/td-p/1463565
suggests that all Moto boxes support esata - so aside from loss of shows, when moving the drives, I should be good to go.

Ron
post #5557 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 AM

Man that is a thing of beauty ChazzMatt. You're so lucky. Man I wish Comcast would roll MPEG-4 to us. Let us know the UI that box had when it gets hooked up if you don't mind? Thanks for all the photos. I wonder what kind of "compatible" message will be on the TiVo Premiere or Roamio since from that screenshot of your HD DTA the message is being generated from the HD DTA itself the same way a failed activation or interrupted service message is done.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.

Last edited by Mike Wolf; 04-24-2015 at 05:30 AM.
post #5558 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 05:21 AM

JudgeSmails. Your honor, you might find this (and the forum) interesting. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17173
Some things I've read indicates that a tech visit is required for the MoCA portion of the installation with certain hardware while other devices like the Xi3 tuner less client can be self installed.
JudgeSmails likes this.

post #5559 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielloeb View Post
FYI, my DCX3400 boxes say they don't need to be changed for the upcoming enhanced HD.
Be sure to check all of the boxes in your house!
post #5560 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielloeb View Post
FYI, my DCX3400 boxes say they don't need to be changed for the upcoming enhanced HD.
Be sure to check all of the boxes in your house!
post #5561 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone with a Tivo or HTPC using cablecards, in the Atlanta area, received any notice to perform this "compatibility test" - or any other notification regarding this impending change/improvement?

BTW, the "1992" channel is still there. When I tune to it, the picture is blank - which makes sense since my Tivo HD isn't MPEG4 compatible.
post #5562 of 5567 Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
Has anyone with a Tivo or HTPC using cablecards, in the Atlanta area, received any notice to perform this "compatibility test" - or any other notification regarding this impending change/improvement?

BTW, the "1992" channel is still there. When I tune to it, the picture is blank - which makes sense since my Tivo HD isn't MPEG4 compatible.
I'm using TiVo but have received no such notice; I do not believe it applies to the Premiere or Roamio series DVRs.
post #5563 of 5567 Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM

How tough is it to activate the new box that Comcast sends out? Parkspringer
post #5564 of 5567 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_27513 View Post
How tough is it to activate the new box that Comcast sends out? Parkspringer
I got the letter and took the opportunity to take the X1 upgrade self-install kit without the fee (not sure what the monthly rate is after promo period, though). I had the DCH-3416, and it is not compatible with the new format.

In general, activation on the self-install kits is easy. The X1 activates itself after you enter your account number, and I think the RNG200-type boxes just take a phone call with the serial number.
post #5565 of 5567 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Earlier this week my Comcast went out. All services died inside the house yet all Comcast checks were passing. So obviously it was something with the line into the home. I looked at the line(s) coming in and couldn't see any cuts or tears. But most of the line is buried so who knows what is happening under there.

Tech came out to resolve. He replaced the three incoming lines with one much thicker and bright orange line. What surprised me is new line is 'powered'. He had to install an AC adapter in the home connected to one outlet where the primary in-home lines branch out across the house. Prior line setup didn't need that. The new line outside the home looks much more robust. The AC power thing just surprised me.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #5566 of 5567 Unread Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Could be a placebo effect, but my new box (not the X1 but the other "newer" dvr) seems to have better HD picture quality than the ancient 160gb motorola i replaced in our main theater setup. Before I was having my receiver scale everything to 1080p, manually selecting the native resolution on the box for 720p channels so there wasn't double conversion. Since this box has a 1080p option, I just leave it there now.

Has the "HD upgrade" already happened or will things theoretically still improve with some new rollout?
post #5567 of 5567 Unread Today, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
What surprised me is new line is 'powered'. He had to install an AC adapter in the home connected to one outlet where the primary in-home lines branch out across the house.
There is no such thing as a "powered line"; the tech evidently put in a powered amp/splitter, probably to help with boosting a low(er) signal...Comcast seems to be putting these in more often than they used to...particularly if you have an X1 DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page