Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #5581 of 5599 Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may help:

Quote:
The MPEG4 migration is currently scheduled to begin on August 18 in Atlanta and finish up in November. This is for our areas in Atlanta where we use Motorola branded cable boxes.
Source: XFinity Forums, MPEG4 Atlanta Market Thread
ChazzMatt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5599 Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. It is not something that I'm necessarily looking forward to, of course - I'll be returning the CableCards in my older TiVo that day and will be going forward with just the Roamio connected, and the Series 3 serving only as a media extender.
post #5583 of 5599 Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
Probably more after June 30. End of June is the deadline to get compatible hardware.
This was a good prediction. Just noticed several more OTA subchannels have been added:

234 - Buzzr
236 - Decades
241 - Cozi
242 - Grit
post #5584 of 5599 Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 PM

So who's got MPEG-4 so far?

I have yet to see it and I hope my area is closer to switching over in August as opposed to November.
post #5585 of 5599 Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM

Liked: 15
I would like to have a comcast mpeg4 1080i and 720p two minute action packed files to test the xbox 360 in Windows Media Center extender mode.I would be deeply greatfull to anyone that could help. I see the ads and billboards in central IL. TIA
post #5586 of 5599 Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
MY COMCAST NIGHTMARE

I posted this on Facebook. Easier to copy and paste rather than write it all again...

FIVE DAYS of no service. No TV, Internet, phone or cell phone.

Promises not kept. Total lack of concern from technical services, in spite of repeated "escalation" -- even due to "safety issues".

And I was never notified when they fixed the issue, I just found out accidentally.

_______

Friday, August 28 at 10:30pm

Property survey crew at my house today did something to knock out my Comcast TV and internet. Still out almost 12 hours later. They said they accidentally hit the "grounding rod" to the cable dome. Dug it up instead of property pin, which was nearby.

If that isn't the cause, it's a freaky coincidence.

I'm getting a SIGNAL. But not AUTHENTICATION. Both TVs and cable modem are all on separate coax lines that meet in the back of the house (3 separate lines), then go via buried line to the street. The channels all say "this channel will appear shortly" with an error message. The front of the cable box says "HUNT". Cable modem will not lock in.

And I have to go into the front yard to get a cell phone signal when the AT&T microcell isn't connected to our Comcast internet. So the neighbors saw me a lot in the front yard speaking intensely to Comcast throughout the day...

Making a late night food run, so have mobile internet signal now. Until I go back home.

But at least I now know exactly where my property boundaries are located.

______

Saturday morning · August 29

Called them again today, after about six times yesterday. They keep saying my ticket is "escalated" but they still haven't rolled a truck. It's not their fault the service was cut, but it seems they should care if their line or equipment was damaged.

Survey crew said they "hit the grounding rod" for the cable while trying to find my property corner. Whatever they "hit" it with must have had enough current to fry something inside the little cable dome nearby.

Originally Comcast said a technician wasn't available until Friday, September 4. A week from yesterday. Then they said Wednesday, September 2. Then they said Monday, August 31.

I told them I won't be home Monday, August 31 but the person said that's OK as long as it's outside work.

Also, this is just the back up plan. When a technician gets freed up usually end of the day, they promise one will come by and fix the OUTSIDE issue.

_________

Saturday night · August 29

Still no TV/internet today. I even went to the physical Comcast store to talk to them.

Seems they would be concerned their outside equipment is damaged? I've been told the ticket has been escalated to the highest priority, yet there's no truck in front of my house... I've had to give my address every time I call, so I know they're aware of where I live.

I've been PROMISED several times someone local would call me and send a tech over.

I just recently told someone in 11 years of being a Comcast customer, I've never had an issue that wasn't immediately addressed. Guess I jinxed that!

______

Monday, August 31

Scheduled maintenance today FAILED.

Even though the problem is on the outside of the house, the technician refused to do any work today because I wasn't home. I left detailed notes and even pictures on the front door. It has NOTHING to do with anything INSIDE the house. I do NOT need to be home.

I won't be home during the day until Thursday. Will be one week without internet, TV, home phone service. And we don't get good cell phone signal without the internet powered microcell.

My wife needs to be able to do work from home. We have no internet access whatsoever. I can't even check work emails unless I'm standing in my front yard for a mobile signal.

The scheduler called me to confirm I was not home and to tell me the technician was leaving. She said she understood my frustration, but rules are rules. She said her supervisor would call me. No one has ever called, except the scheduler to find out why I wasn't home. I understand now why people HATE Comcast.

The technician took the time to confirm via the panel on the side of the house there was a signal going to the devices. And he left a snarky note telling me that on the front door. (At least it seemed snarky to me.) I never said there wasn't a signal. It's an AUTHENTICATION ISSUE, not a signal issue.

That note made me even more angry. He could have taken the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME to FIX THE ISSUE instead of telling me I already knew.

____

Wednesday · September 2 at 5:39pm

UPDATE.

After NOT having internet, TV, telephone since Friday -- and with Comcast technician coming tomorrow morning... I come home to find everything magically working.

Comcast did something to fix it. I'm going to call them and see if they will admit it. If they did something today, they could have done something last Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday..

______

Thursday September 3 at 5:39pm

UPDATE:

* Comcast rep gave me 7 days of compensation for 5 days of outage. And said the last thing in my file showed an "escalation for outside work". So, they did exactly what they repeatedly said they could NOT do. Do work on the outside while I was NOT home.

Figured out it was actuallly fixed late Tuesday night. Yet, I was never notified. Know how I know? Because the last minute of "America's Got Talent" showed up on my DVR. Since it's a live show I always schedule an extra five minutes. Tuesday 10pm my DVR was working, after we were already in bed.

* I'm now getting 85mbps Internet speed through Comcast. They are only promising me 75mbps, but 4 different test sites show 85mbps. I'll take it.

It still doesn't totally make up for 5 very frustrating days...

We only have reliable cell phone service WITH broadband internet via AT&T microcell -- which generates an AT&T HSPA signal for a few hundred square feet, using your high speed internet. Otherwise, I go into the front yard to get one bar of signal. (With the microcell, I get 5 bars anywhere inside the house and even in the garage. Without internet, no microcell.) So, my neighbors saw me sitting in my driveway a lot! For emails, Facebook updates, etc. smile emoticon

Also have Vonage for home phone. No internet, no Vonage.

The home security system was not accessible via the Comcast app, so if the system was not armed via keypad, once we left the house it was too late. Also, we could not view the security camera inside the house remotely. We could arm and disarm via keypad, but did not have full functionality like using the remote app.

Watched some DVDs for entertainment, but wasn't able to keep up with news channels. Some of the TV shows I DVR, I just had to forgo. One I was able to watch via another method after our service was reconnected.

But at least I'm back online, have both cell phone and home phone working, home security system is accessible via the Comcast app, and cable box/DVR is up and running.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-06-2015 at 02:19 AM.
post #5587 of 5599 Old 09-05-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
MY COMCAST NIGHTMARE

I posted this on Facebook. Easier to copy and paste rather than write it all again...

_______

Friday, August 28 at 10:30pm

Property survey crew at my house today did something to knock out my Comcast TV and internet. Still out almost 12 hours later. They said they accidentally hit the "grounding rod" to the cable dome. Dug it up instead of property pin, which was nearby.

If that isn't the cause, it's a freaky coincidence.

I'm getting a SIGNAL. But not AUTHENTICATION. Both TVs and cable modem are all on separate coax lines that meet in the back of the house (3 separate lines), then go via buried line to the street. The channels all say "this channel will appear shortly" with an error message. The front of the cable box says "HUNT". Cable modem will not lock in.

And I have to go into the front yard to get a cell phone signal when the AT&T microcell isn't connected to our Comcast internet. So the neighbors saw me a lot in the front yard speaking intensely to Comcast throughout the day...

Making a late night food run, so have mobile internet signal now. Until I go back home.

But at least I now know exactly where my property boundaries are located.

______

Saturday morning · August 29

Called them again today, after about six times yesterday. They keep saying my ticket is "escalated" but they still haven't rolled a truck. It's not their fault the service was cut, but it seems they should care if their line or equipment was damaged.

Survey crew said they "hit the grounding rod" for the cable while trying to find my property corner. Whatever they "hit" it with must have had enough current to fry something inside the little cable dome nearby.

Originally Comcast said a technician wasn't available until Friday, September 4. A week from yesterday. Then they said Wednesday, September 2. Then they said Monday, August 31.

I told them I won't be home Monday, August 31 but the person said that's OK as long as it's outside work.

Also, this is just the back up plan. When a technician gets freed up usually end of the day, they promise one will come by and fix the OUTSIDE issue.

_________

Saturday night · August 29

Still no TV/internet today. I even went to the physical Comcast store to talk to them.

Seems they would be concerned their outside equipment is damaged? I've been told the ticket has been escalated to the highest priority, yet there's no truck in front of my house... I've had to give my address every time I call, so I know they're aware of where I live.

I've been PROMISED several times someone local would call me and send a tech over.

I just recently told someone in 11 years of being a Comcast customer, I've never had an issue that wasn't immediately addressed. Guess I jinxed that!

______

Monday, August 31

Scheduled maintenance today FAILED.

Even though the problem is on the outside of the house, the technician refused to do any work today because I wasn't home. I left detailed notes and even pictures on the front door. It has NOTHING to do with anything INSIDE the house. I do NOT need to be home.

I won't be home during the day until Thursday. Will be one week without internet, TV, home phone service. And we don't get good cell phone signal without the internet powered microcell.

My wife needs to be able to do work from home. We have no internet access whatsoever. I can't even check work emails unless I'm standing in my front yard for a mobile signal.

The scheduler called me to confirm I was not home and to tell me the technician was leaving. She said she understood my frustration, but rules are rules. She said her supervisor would call me. No one has ever called, except the scheduler to find out why I wasn't home. I understand now why people HATE Comcast.

The technician took the time to confirm via the panel on the side of the house there was a signal going to the devices. And he left a snarky note telling me that on the front door. (At least it seemed snarky to me.) I never said there wasn't a signal. It's an AUTHENTICATION ISSUE, not a signal issue.

That note made me even more angry. He could have taken the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME to FIX THE ISSUE instead of telling me I already knew.

____

Wednesday · September 2 at 5:39pm

UPDATE.

After NOT having internet, TV, telephone since Friday -- and with Comcast technician coming tomorrow morning... I come home to find everything magically working.

Comcast did something to fix it. I'm going to call them and see if they will admit it. If they did something today, they could have done something last Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday..

______

Thursday September 3 at 5:39pm

UPDATE:

* Comcast rep gave me 7 days of compensation for 5 days of outage. And said the last thing in my file showed an "escalation for outside work". So, they did exactly what they repeatedly said they could NOT do. Do work on the outside while I was NOT home.

Figured out it was actuallly fixed late Tuesday night. Yet, I was never notified. Know how I know? Because the last minute of "America's Got Talent" showed up on my DVR. Since it's a live show I always schedule an extra five minutes. Tuesday 10pm my DVR was working, after we were already in bed.

* I'm now getting 85mbps Internet speed through Comcast. They are only promising me 75mbps, but 4 different test sites show 85mbps. I'll take it.

It still doesn't totally make up for 5 very frustrating days...

We only have reliable cell phone service WITH broadband internet via AT&T microcell -- which generates an AT&T HSPA signal for a few hundred square feet, using your high speed internet. Otherwise, I go into the front yard to get one bar of signal. (With the microcell, I get 5 bars anywhere inside the house and even in the garage. Without internet, no microcell.) So, my neighbors saw me sitting in my driveway a lot! For emails, Facebook updates, etc. smile emoticon

Also have Vonage for home phone. No internet, no Vonage.

The home security system was not accessible via the Comcast app, so if the system was not armed via keypad, once we left the house it was too late. Also, we could not view the security camera inside the house remotely. We could arm and disarm via keypad, but did not have full functionality like using the remote app.

Watched some DVDs for entertainment, but wasn't able to keep up with news channels. Some of the TV shows I DVR, I just had to forgo. One I was able to watch via another method after our service was reconnected.

But at least I'm back online, have both cell phone and home phone working, home security system is accessible via the Comcast app, and cable box/DVR is up and running.
You should be calling the survey crew and complaining to THEM, since it was them who caused all the problems, and request they compensate you for your time. I'm not saying Comcast is right or wrong, but it wasn't their fault the signal went out initially.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #5588 of 5599 Old 09-06-2015, 02:15 AM

It is water under the bridge now (I've already decommissioned the older DVR that doesn't support MPEG-4) but I was curious if the warning about Comcast switching most channels to MPEG-4 here has yet come to fruition?
post #5589 of 5599 Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmeow View Post
It is water under the bridge now (I've already decommissioned the older DVR that doesn't support MPEG-4) but I was curious if the warning about Comcast switching most channels to MPEG-4 here has yet come to fruition?
Nothing yet in Marietta, and I would assume we may not see programming in MPEG-4 for weeks. They said they were beginning at the end of Aug and continuing through Nov.
post #5590 of 5599 Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 PM

@ChazzMatt Sounds like you've been through Hell. No one should have to go through that disaster. Local cable monopoly is certainly the culprit.
I have noticed we now have a test channel for stb compatibility in Champaign IL. I am anxious to see if my Xbox 360 extenders are compatible with whatever version of mpeg4 they are using.
post #5591 of 5599 Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post
I am anxious to see if my Xbox 360 extenders are compatible with whatever version of mpeg4 they are using.
That would be not at all. Xbox 360 Xfinity app is being retired October 1. Don't you read your Xbox Live messages?

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #5592 of 5599 Old 09-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
That would be not at all. Xbox 360 Xfinity app is being retired October 1. Don't you read your Xbox Live messages?
I am using several Xbox 360s as a Windows Media Center Extenders. Nothing in my post mentions the Xfinity app, why bring it up? I didn't know about them killing the app, thanks.
post #5593 of 5599 Old 10-22-2015, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
As of Sunday night, my old series 3 Tivo no longer receives any channels other than locals via Comcast, so I presume the mp4 transition has been implemented here in the Marietta area.
post #5594 of 5599 Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM

I've seen some indications that files on the TiVo are taking up a lot less room. Where before they were all taking up 6GB-8GB per hour, now some programs are taking up 1.5GB-1.7GB per hour.
post #5595 of 5599 Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post
I am using several Xbox 360s as a Windows Media Center Extenders. Nothing in my post mentions the Xfinity app, why bring it up? I didn't know about them killing the app, thanks.
We have been partially switched over.WMC with Xbox 360 extenders works o.k. with Mpeg-4 Comcast has switched to in CU Ill.
post #5596 of 5599 Old 11-25-2015, 04:05 AM

We just added Showtime. Is this right? There are only two HD Showtime channels offered?
post #5597 of 5599 Old 11-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Here in East Cobb, Food Network HD is in H.264. The picture is quite nice. Our Tivo Roamio seems to do fast forward a bit "faster" on these H.264 recordings.
post #5598 of 5599 Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
That's weird, Food HD on channel 857 still shows as mpeg2 on my Tivo (I'm in Austell). I haven't seen any mpeg4 HD channels yet but haven't looked hard.

Vinings headend, I believe.

BTW the free preview of SHO, MAX etc. this weekend is only available on the XOD app on Tivo, not by tuning the channels.
post #5599 of 5599 Old 02-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
You should be calling the survey crew and complaining to THEM, since it was them who caused all the problems, and request they compensate you for your time. I'm not saying Comcast is right or wrong, but it wasn't their fault the signal went out initially.
Wasn't the survey crew's fault. Comcast had to come out twice to fix the issue. Outside equipment failure which they finally tracked down after two service visits, both of which times they insisted I be home --- even though the technician agreed it had to be outside somewhere...

I still fault Comcast for the slow response time.

I didn't need to be home as I told them it was not an inside the house issue. And it wasn't. And especially after the first visit, they KNEW it wasn't inside the house! But again, they wouldn't come until I was home.

My wife and I are home in the evening. We work days.

So almost three weeks of non service, and it was Comcast to blame for repair delay.

Our phone was out, our internet was out, our TV service was out. Very rough time.

And I didn't appreciate people somehow blaming me, as if I could have done something or the survey crew could have done something.

The Comcast technician said even if it had been their fault (survey crew), they couldn't do anything more than I did -- call for a service technician.

Yes, Comcast "compensated" me for time lost on my bill, but the suffering was more than the cost of 3 weeks of service and three free months of HBO they threw in. I no longer recommend Comcast to friends like I once did.

End of discussion.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 02-28-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page