Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5525 Old 12-06-2002, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alan and Ken:

Would it be possible to rename this thread to reflect that AT&T Broadband no longer exists due to the merger with Comcast? I would suggest:

The "Official" Comcast Atlanta HDTV Thread

Thanks in advance!

jdp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5525 Old 12-06-2002, 07:11 PM

Strange... in Seattle they've combined my AT T cable and broadband bill into one - we are mostlikely not going to get the name change? Or? Hmmm...
post #33 of 5525 Old 12-09-2002, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

The new company is called Comcast Corporation. I think the fact that both AT&T Broadband and Comcast appear on your bill right now is to avoid customer confusion with billing issues and to make sure that they get paid (i.e. J6P: "Why is Comcast billing me for cable when I have AT&T Broadband? I'm not paying this...").

Or I may be wrong, believe me, I'm not an insider or an expert...
post #34 of 5525 Old 12-09-2002, 02:42 PM

I read through this thread....VERY good information. I had just recently purchased a 34" wide HD tube and started looking into OTA and exactly what I would need in terms of the STB.

Now after reviewing this thread, I probably want to not go with OTA and wait for AT&T/Comcast.

Now to my newbie question. I see mention of hardware that I am not familiar with here. Would I have to buy a STB and AT&T/Comcast will provide me with a different HD STB so I can receive HD? Or will the box provided by AT&T be an all in one solution that I will not have to purchase an HD/STB? The big question is...what if anything would I have to buy to get HD/DTV from AT&T/Comcast?

Thanks in advance for the input. Also...if anyone has a number I will gladly call and bug them for HD over cable in Atlanta.
post #35 of 5525 Old 12-09-2002, 08:04 PM

They will provide probably a Motorola 5100, which is an integrated HD cable STB. There's a link somewhere in this thread to other places where you can get more info on this STB, but in short, it has component video and S video outputs plus DD 5.1 coax and optical outputs for sound. However, what we really want is the 5200 w/ the firewire and DVI options, plus a very large PVR disk to record HD on it. We have to ask for it so they know we want it.

You won't have to buy anything unless you want to get the OTA stations that are not included in the initial line up. For example, if you wan to get CBS or ABC now, you'll have to use a separate OTA STB. However, this should be temporary as they claim they'll have all the networks in HD before next summer.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #36 of 5525 Old 12-09-2002, 09:04 PM

Well, Comcast screwed my parents over. They were told that the boxes would be available today and when they went to pick one up, the morons told them they had no idea what they were talking about. It is pathetic that I can get HD service throught my cable provider in Columbia, SC but people in Atlanta are STILL behind in the cable systems. I feel for all Atlantans. I am really happy I moved away.

Merry Christmas!!

Go Gamecocks!
post #37 of 5525 Old 12-10-2002, 04:05 AM

THANKS lcaamano
post #38 of 5525 Old 12-10-2002, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

I called again yesterday and took a different approach. Instead of asking about HD, I just said I wanted to order channels 880 and 890. Of course, it was not long before we were back to the "Oh, you want HDTV? We have no idea when that will happen" line. I did confirm that in order for them to do beta testing, the channels need to be visible in the guide, even if they cannot be ordered by customers.

One step in the right direction is that they are now taking information on interested customers and (supposedly) letting those who expressed interest know in advance of offering HD to the general public. In any event, I think I've pestered the CSRs enough. It's not their fault that they aren't being given the information they need to properly service the customers. Unless someone has a higher level contact, it seems to me that there is no new information forthcoming this month.

Of course, if someone DOES find something new out, let's post it here and let the rest of us know too.

jdp
post #39 of 5525 Old 12-10-2002, 01:25 PM

Well done jdp. I called today also, and pretty much got the same deal. Took down my information and flagged my account as being interested in HD for the Atlanta area......now we wait.....

They were friendly enough....
post #40 of 5525 Old 12-10-2002, 02:10 PM

When I called today, I used the "I'm subscribed to digital cable and HBO and I cannot see channel 880" line. It took about 20 seconds to get to the "Ah, you want HDTV" line. This time though, she was ahead of me. When I said "How do I know when it's available?" she said, "oh we recorded your request on the 4th and then again on the 6th. Don't worry, we will call you" "yeah, right" I thought.

This getting to be fun. Let's see what I get when I call on Thursday.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #41 of 5525 Old 12-11-2002, 07:23 AM

Squeeky wheel.

You would think they would by hyping it some....I had no idea it was going to be offered till I found this thread.

Hopefully soon.
post #42 of 5525 Old 12-12-2002, 04:15 AM

Is funny....remindes me of years ago when I was bugging them...they were Media One at the time...for high speed data. DSL wasn't an option in my area at the time, MO was offering a cable connection....bugged and bugged and bugged and it finally came.... ;-)
post #43 of 5525 Old 12-12-2002, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

The digital guide is now showing HBO-HD East at 880, HBO-HD West at 881, and Showtime HDTV at 890. I wonder how many other channels will come up before they actually offer HD to the public? The original reports were that it would initially be HBO, Showtime, and Fox digital, with ABC added in time for the Superbowl, and the rest of the locals by the end of 2003.
post #44 of 5525 Old 12-12-2002, 07:55 AM

Have you noticed how the PQ has degraded since they added the HD channels? I saw it first as ghosting from channel 2 into fox while watching 24 comparing to the OTA digital signal. I've never seen ghosting on cable before. Then my kid was watching Arthur on PBA, which normally looked great, and now it had terrible ghosting. This morning I compared the analog signal from OTA with cable and cable had terrible ghosting.

I have digital cable btw. I wonder if they are doing some extra compression to the non-HD channels to accomodate the HD channels.
They only have 750mhz for everything, internet, music channels, ppv, network channels, cable only channels, and now a few HD. 750 mhz can only accomodate a maximum of 125 6-mhz channels, which shows why we won't have 125 HD channels any time soon.

Seems they are operating under the "quantity before quality" rule.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #45 of 5525 Old 12-12-2002, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't notice that there has been any degradation in picture quality. Definitely not ghosting. But I haven't really been home to watch TV too much recently. I will check it out tonight.

As far as I'm concerned, I think they should drop those digital music channels to make room for more television programming.
post #46 of 5525 Old 12-13-2002, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

OK, here's the info as of today's call:

No STBs are available until January 2003. The channels that are being offered (supposedly as of January 1, 2003) are:

ABC
NBC
Fox
PBS
HBO-HD East and West
SHO-HD East and West

No additional charges for digital cable subscribers (except for paying for HBO and Showtime).

Luis:

I am not seeing any degradation in PQ since they've added the HD channels. BTW, I also have digital cable. I specifically checked out Fox and PBS and wasn't seeing any of the ghosting that you mentioned. However, I do not have a way to compare the cable signal to OTA digital, so my point of reference isn't the same as yours. If you (and others) continue to see this problem, we should let Comcast know so that they can address it.

Jon

P.S. Ken H, thanks for updating the thread name!
post #47 of 5525 Old 12-13-2002, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jdp_atl
OK, here's the info as of today's call:

No STBs are available until January 2003. The channels that are being offered (supposedly as of January 1, 2003) are:

ABC
NBC
Fox
PBS
HBO-HD East and West
SHO-HD East and West

That's a lot better! It seems I won't need the 165 for OTA sooner than I expected.

Quote:

No additional charges for digital cable subscribers (except for paying for HBO and Showtime).

Excellent!

Quote:

Luis:

I am not seeing any degradation in PQ since they've added the HD channels. BTW, I also have digital cable. I specifically checked out Fox and PBS and wasn't seeing any of the ghosting that you mentioned. However, I do not have a way to compare the cable signal to OTA digital, so my point of reference isn't the same as yours. If you (and others) continue to see this problem, we should let Comcast know so that they can address it.

I called repair to tell them about the ghosting. I'm only seeing in ALL the time on PBS channel 16 (just look at PBS logo with a dark background). I saw ghosting from WSB to WAGA FOX last Tuesday but not since. (WSB is channel 3 and WAGA is channel 4 on their cable line up).

When I called to get an appointment for the ghosting, she said, of we have the HDTV box for you, let's make sure they bring the box too. I couldn't believe that so I asked if it was the Moto 5100. She said, "no, it's the 2000L you requested." Ahhhhhh, no, that's for dolby digital and S-video. She said, "yes, we got those available now." I asked how soon they'll get the 5100s and she said pretty soon. So I asked her to cancel the request for the L box but I'm still getting a tech guy to coming in to check my signal strength to see if we can get rid of the ghosting.

The appointment is for next Wednesday. I'll call Tuesday to see if he can bring a 5100 for testing

Oh when we're still thinking he was going to bring the HDTV box, that is, before I asked for the model number, she said "he'll connect the box for you." I said, "no way jose! He's giving me the box and I'm connecting it. He would not know where to plug in the DD 5.1 audio or the component cables. " "Oh no, he can!" "Trust me, I'm connecting it."

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #48 of 5525 Old 12-16-2002, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The no increase over digital prices sounds great. Hope they stick to it.
Guess I'll be calling this afternoon.
Jason
post #49 of 5525 Old 12-16-2002, 01:17 PM

Do keep this thread updated if you can....The first person in Atlanta with AT&T/Comcast digital cable who gets HD up and running should get a prize ;-)

Will be great to know when folks start getting HD.
post #50 of 5525 Old 12-16-2002, 01:48 PM

Well, I called today and put in my request to replace my digital cable box with one that will receive HDTV signals. I called the change service number and the CSR knew what I was talking about but he told me that since I only had one box and I was requesting that it be replaced I needed to call the service and repair number instead. I called that number and told the CSR what I wanted and she said she needed to check with her supervisor. When she came back on the line, she said she had made a note in my file with my request but I may still need to call back after January 1 to remind them.

-Skip
post #51 of 5525 Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM

I just called to inquire about setting up an appointment and got a clueless csr. He kept telling me that the s-video supported HDTV. I finally just asked him to make a note in my file with my request for the 5100. Maybe we should call for new service rather than change of service. Might get better support there. I'll try that tonight.

Jason
post #52 of 5525 Old 12-17-2002, 11:55 AM

"S-video supports HDTV" ARRRRRGH.
post #53 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the latest: As of Friday, the Atlanta shipment of "HDTV boxes" (CSR's term, I'm assuming they mean the DCT 5100) are in stock and the service techs had their training. HOWEVER, the STBs are not logged in to the computer yet so they can't schedule appointments.

The CSR suggested calling back on Monday, but I think I'm going to call again before that. Let's make sure that someone calls every day this week to try to schedule an installation. The CSR said to just ask for the "HDTV box" because that is what they were called in training.

Now that boxes are in, they are hoping to have them in homes with HDTV up and running before Christmas!

Also, FYI if anyone is interested, the S-video, Dolby Surround boxes are in (and in their computer system). They offered to schedule an appointment for me to get that box, but I said it wasn't worth it since I wanted to upgrade to the HDTV box as soon as it was available.
post #54 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 07:21 AM

I just got off the phone with a CSR, who informed me that they had no information, and that they are referring inquiries to an outside firm that is handling the beta and roll-out program. They said I should get a call very soon "because we are keen to get this rolled out quickly".

We'll see...

Added as an edit: I called the change/move number.

Regards,
Bart
post #55 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Bart:

Although I have no reason to doubt your information, I have a feeling that the roll-out isn't being handled by an outside firm. It's possible that it is a recent decision that was made to expedite testing and the roll-out. However, no one else has heard (or at least posted) this information before.

It sounds like you spoke with a CSR who didn't know what was up, and was passing the buck. Normally, I would say that my recent information is just as improbable, but the CSR I spoke to actually inspired some confidence. She remembered helping me on a call last month and appeared to be very knowledgeable.

I wonder if it comes down to the fact that some CSRs take an active interest in their job, and others are willing to wait until someone higher up provides them with talking points before providing any information to a customer...

Then again, I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

jdp
post #56 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 08:52 AM

Have you guys been calling the moves/changes number repair number, or new business number to get ahold of a knowledgeable rep?

Jason
post #57 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 08:56 AM

Disreagrd above post, just got off the phone with a moves/changes. She wouldn't give me any info beyond it's almost ready so.... keep calling!!!

Jason
post #58 of 5525 Old 12-18-2002, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I call the repair number, (678) 545-7372.
post #59 of 5525 Old 12-20-2002, 04:11 AM

Well, I'll be giving it another try today. Wish me luck!!!

Jason
post #60 of 5525 Old 12-20-2002, 08:09 AM

Good Luck, keep us informed.

Since I already havd DirecTV, Dish and an antenna in my attic I had decided to wait for Comcast to add more channels before calling them, however if they have HBO-HD-W and Showtime-HD-W that will be enough more me to call them.

It would be nice to be able to get all the HD channels from just one source.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page