Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5517 Old 03-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried one of the widescreen/DD 5.1 On Demand PPV movies yet?

For lack of better terms are they "letterbox" widescreen or "anamorphic" widescreen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5517 Old 03-01-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisATL
DVI is working great here, has been for a few weeks. If you got the firmware update, it should work.

great....i'll give that a shot tonight. i just hope i notice some sort of quality improvement on my hitachi 51s500 over the monster cable components i'm currently using. if not, guess i'll just wait to use DVI for my bravo d1 or something.

Georgia Institute of Technology
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Graduating May 1st, 2004

Go Jackets!
post #723 of 5517 Old 03-01-2004, 06:55 PM

I don't know if you'll notice it, don't know the set. But I definitely noticed a difference on my Hit 50V500 LCD RPTV.
post #724 of 5517 Old 03-02-2004, 07:50 PM

You should notice a difference with DLP and LCD. You cannot tell that much with a CRT display device.

Starz-HD is finally on. Now if we can get WSB, HD-Net, HD-Net Movies, and Discovery HD I would be much more satisfied.

Any updates on the status of the HD-PVR boxes that are supposed to be released to us? I know that they are available in Columbia, South Carolina on Time Warner Cable. It is a shame that we are such a large market and their programming is superior to ours. I picked a bad time to move back to Atlanta.

Go Gamecocks!

Go Gamecocks!
post #725 of 5517 Old 03-02-2004, 07:50 PM

You should notice a difference with DLP and LCD. You cannot tell that much with a CRT display device.

Starz-HD is finally on. Now if we can get WSB, HD-Net, HD-Net Movies, and Discovery HD I would be much more satisfied.

Any updates on the status of the HD-PVR boxes that are supposed to be released to us? I know that they are available in Columbia, South Carolina on Time Warner Cable. It is a shame that we are such a large market and their programming is superior to ours. I picked a bad time to move back to Atlanta.

Go Gamecocks!

Go Gamecocks!
post #726 of 5517 Old 03-03-2004, 05:00 AM

I think Comcast should be helad accountable because they say that DVR will be out by the end of 2003, then they say end of Jan 2004 and now they just keep pushing it back and they were claiming all over the news media that they were going to roll out DVR to most of their markets and that they were ready to compete with D* and E* DVR's service, but here we are in MARCH and nothing other than 3 markets.......I AM REALLY UPSET and I feel I cheated......

Now they are taking about the summer for the DVR to roll out...COME ON! How come Time Warner and others are using the MOTOROLA 6208 and COMCAST keep claiming that they are still testing them??????
post #727 of 5517 Old 03-09-2004, 12:01 PM

Does anybody knows if Comcast Atlanta is planning to carry Encore HD on their launch date of March 22?

Any news on WSB in HD signal??? seems that we have lost the interest on it....they keep dragging the whole issue....

WHEN COMCAST WHEN?????? PLEASE AND ADD THE DVR SOON TOO!!!!
post #728 of 5517 Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by calebetsy
Does anybody knows if Comcast Atlanta is planning to carry Encore HD on their launch date of March 22?

Any news on WSB in HD signal??? seems that we have lost the interest on it....they keep dragging the whole issue....

WHEN COMCAST WHEN?????? PLEASE AND ADD THE DVR SOON TOO!!!!

I am getting tired of waiting for WSB HD to be added. The only new channels that have been added recently are movie HD channels, none of which I receive, and I am not interested in raising my cable bill even higher. If they can't get WSB (ABC) HD added before football season I will be looking for alternatives for sure, but I really don't want to have to go for multiple OTA HD boxes.
post #729 of 5517 Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys in Atlanta should organize a picket out at Cox's corporate headquarters, since they are in Atlanta. Get the local media involved-- wouldn't your local CBS or NBC station like to show up so they can get a little dig in against WSB?

Or make some telephone calls-- hey, you won't even incur long distance charges.

As you know, Cox owns WSB, as well as the CBS affiliate in Seattle, the Fox affiliate in San Francisco and the NBC affiliate in Pittsburgh. Cox is not allowing the digital-HD signals of any of these stations to be carried by Comcast.

Apparently Cox is taking the same position as Emmis and Sinclair in this respect.

But this is perplexing because Cox Cable is having an argument with Emmis about a CBS digital-HD signal in Omaha, Nebraska, and Cox is taking the opposite position in that brouhaha!

So when Cox is wearing its cable company hat, it says it should get the digital-HD signal for free (no cost above the compensation, if any, for the analog signal)...

But when Cox is wearing its local station owner hat, it says the local cable company (which happens to be Comcast for all four of the above-mentioned areas), should NOT get the digital-HD signal for free (but should compensate Cox extra, above and beyond the compensation, if any, for the analog signal).

It's frustrating to see a digital-HD withheld because the owner of a local station wants some sort of compensation beyond what (if anything) is given for the analog signal... but it's inexplicable when one company takes two directly contradictory positions on the issue.

Note: No one at Cox or Comcast has publicly or officially said that this is what is going on between them, but there is really no other explanation... obviously Comcast wants to add the digital-HD signals for these stations, but Cox is not allowing Comcast to add them. If Cox is not allowing Comcast to add them, then why? The only explanation is that Cox is seeking something in return-- compensation, whether monetary or otherwise.

Do any of you know anyone who works at Cox's corporate HQ? Or know someone who knows someone? n degreees of separation ...

Here's to hoping Cox comes to its senses before the NBA playoffs (for you guys), the MLB season (for us), the Olympics (for the Pittsburghians) and/or March Madness (for the Seattle-ites)
post #730 of 5517 Old 03-09-2004, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

For what it's worth, here is the number for Comcast Atlanta's channel request "hotline": 770-559-7680. You can call and leave a message asking for channels to be added.

It can't hurt for everyone to call in and ask for WSB-HD to be added. Maybe if they see there is a critical mass of people who really want this channel it will help to push the negotiations.

I also asked them to add Discovery-HD and to add back HBO West-HD.

jdp_atl
post #731 of 5517 Old 03-09-2004, 04:15 PM

I just made the call and requested the same. Maybe if enough people call, it MAY make a difference. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Go Gamecocks!
post #732 of 5517 Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 AM

I found this on another site. This person sent an e-mail to WBS regarding their refusal to allow Comcast to carry their DTV signal. Here's what they got in reply. Note the name and phone number.... They said they replied asking for contact information at Cox HQ to complain at a corporate level, but never got another reply.....

---From WSB---

Currently, COX Broadcasting and Comcast are in retransmission negotiations affecting several markets Cox Television markets including Atlanta. When those negotiations conclude, you most likely will see WSB-TV's programming carried in HDTV by Comcast. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a date by which this will occur.

For now, you can receive our HDTV programming for free, over the air, on our digital channel, WSB-DT, Channel 39. You need a HDTV antenna to receive the signal, but it is available and it is free.

Background:

You may be aware that in the early 1990's, the FCC granted stations the right to negotiate the terms for which cable operators could redistribute their signals (i.e. programming). Prior to that, cable operators captured the broadcast signals of TV stations and redistributed them through their cable connections to subscribers without any legal consent from the stations.

The retransmission agreement act changed that. Now, cable system operators must negotiate for consent and that is the process underway between Cox and Comcast.

I hope this answers your question.

Steve Riley
Director of Creative Services
404-897-7447
post #733 of 5517 Old 03-10-2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks for that info. I will be trying to reach Mr. Steve Riley tomorrow via telephone to find out if there are is new information regarding this. The CSRs at Comcast are sure as hell not going to know anything.

Go Gamecocks!
post #734 of 5517 Old 03-14-2004, 02:23 PM

So.... I take my family down to Disney World this weekend and I'm watching TV in the hotel room.

Orlando has Brighthouse Networks for cable (I think a spin-off of Time Warner cable). Anyway, not only do they have about three times the HD channels that we do here with Comcast, but they have not a one-tuner DVR with HD capability, but a TWO tuner DVR with HD capability. It's been available for some time and it costs the $10 per month.

These MORONS at Comcast can't even get a single-tuner box that already obsolte out the door for cryin' out loud!!!!

The good news is that companies like Sony have announced Digital Cable boxes that you can buy that use the new cableCard smartcard. Sony's comes out sometime in the fall.

My guess is that these idiots at Comcast won't have the freakin' DVR out even by then. I'll just by one myself from a company that get's it!
post #735 of 5517 Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't get that excited. I too am disappointed that the HD PVR is not available yet, but it will come. I am actually more than delighted that HDTV has come as far as it has so quickly, and it seems more promising every day.

Also, I have relatives with Bright House in the Orlando area (who as you said used to have Time Warner), and the selection of HD locals is pretty complete and much better than ours, plus they have Discovery, and the two HDnets, but they are a much smaller company, and they heavily promote themselves as a some sort of whole house technology company. Some of their commercials barely portray them as a cable company--I think the first one I saw left me wondering what the heck kind of company it was.

As for their DVR situation, the way I understand it, they have the SA 8000 standard definition PVR, and their current website stills say this also. Though there is a new Scientific Atlanta 8000-HD, so maybe they are using that or will be soon.

At least Comcast, lately, seems to try as hard as possible to roll out these new services "nationwide" as least as much as is feasible.

So here's hoping for a quick DVR rollout It can't be too much worse than our waiting for the inital Comcast Atlanta HDTV rollout--especially that period from December 2002 to March 2003 when they kept pushing back the date.

Thomas
post #736 of 5517 Old 03-18-2004, 06:11 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast is still offering that "ditch the dish" program?
post #737 of 5517 Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 PM
zno

here's the info from comcast new england website:

http://comcast-ne.com/ditch_the_dish.html

not sure when it expires.
will not hurt to ask comcast atlanta.

why not gold plated, gas injected, and quad shielded IDE cables?
why not quote the entire forum?
post #738 of 5517 Old 03-23-2004, 05:16 AM

Well, It is official that Dallas, Washington and the Virginia suburbs of Richmonds are the first 3 markets with the Motorola DVR....I thought they said that they were having problems.....how come they don't have issues in Dallas and Washington...I e-mail Comcast and they replied saying that the DVR has been delayed because of problems with the box, but then I see on the news that it has been officially released in the 3 markets above.....????? What's is going on???? DO they think we are stupid?????

Atlanta it's a bigger market than Dallas, so market size don't make sense...oh well....I wish Comcast will be straight forward and don't keep promising what they are not going to delivered.
post #739 of 5517 Old 03-26-2004, 03:48 PM

Nice to see Comcast listens to their channel request number, I just called and the mailbox is full.

And the idiocy continues ..... and grows.
post #740 of 5517 Old 04-02-2004, 05:37 AM

Well, this does it....I am officially fed up with Comcast......Knoxville and Cleveland have the HD DVR available as of this week and here in Atlanta we cannot even get the ABC local channel.......I just don't believe Comcast anymore....if Dish and DIrect TV get more HD channels I am switching or maybe if VOOM becoms a success, but I am not keeping Comcast much longer....thay have drop the ball with the whole DVR issue......
post #741 of 5517 Old 04-02-2004, 05:46 AM

sorry to change the subject.....

just a reminder for everyone to watch the Final Four game tomorrow night on CBSHD (809) and cheer Tech on to the Finals.

nothing better than high-definition sports!

Graduating May 1st, 2004

Go Jackets!
post #742 of 5517 Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 AM

Yeah, go Tech! I won't be able to watch in HD (prior commitment), but I will be watching!

dogongt, enjoy the ride. I was there in 1990 and there's nothing quite like the excitement around campus when something like this is happening.
post #743 of 5517 Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 AM

for sure....there's nothing like the Final Four and possible National Championship to cap off a 5-year college career.

Go Jackets!

p.s. if anyone is interested, and in the Atlanta area this coming Tuesday, Tech is planning a huge homecoming celebration for the basketball team (provided they make it to the Final game on Monday). here's a direct quote from President Clough:

"After Monday's championship game, we expect the team to return to
Atlanta sometime late Tuesday afternoon. Rather than having a group
just meet the bus, we are planning a full-scale welcome home
celebration in the Coliseum for 5:30 Tuesday evening. The doors will
open at 4:00 and Monday's game will be replayed in its entirety on the
big screens without commercial interruption, as a warm-up to the event.

Tuesday's celebration will feature Wes Durham as MC and the entire
men's basketball team. The entire Tech community is welcome for this
event and no I.D. will be necessary for admission. Any crowd overflow
will be accommodated in the Russ Chandler Baseball Stadium for viewing
on the big screen there."

Graduating May 1st, 2004

Go Jackets!
post #744 of 5517 Old 04-02-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also getting very upset with Comcast, but not only for the HD-DVR, with I get different answers each time I ask. I'm about 30 miles from the people using the 6208 but still can't get it.

I'm very upset about Comcast's refusal to carry Discovery,Bravo,HDNET. I doubt we'll ever get those, but until VOOM gets ESPNHD and a DVR I guess I'm still stuck.

Maybe things will get better for all of us Comcasters in a few months, but I don't think so. programmatically. Eventually we'll all get the 6208 and then the 6408.

Rich N.
post #745 of 5517 Old 04-06-2004, 08:02 AM

I just got my Z2 a few weeks ago and put it an order for the Comcast HD receiver. I can't believe I have to wait for 2 weeks before someone is willing to come out to install the daggone thing. You would think they only have one installer.

I offered to pick it up myself, but they told me that they don't offer that. Bah!

Is there an actual timeline when Comcast will be adding more local stations to its lineup?

A little bit hipper than Crockett and Tubbs...
post #746 of 5517 Old 04-06-2004, 08:02 AM

I just got my Z2 a few weeks ago and put it an order for the Comcast HD receiver. I can't believe I have to wait for 2 weeks before someone is willing to come out to install the daggone thing. You would think they only have one installer.

I offered to pick it up myself, but they told me that they don't offer that. Bah!

Is there an actual timeline when Comcast will be adding more local stations to its lineup?

post #747 of 5517 Old 04-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkhound

That's a pretty funny question. Comcast has added exactly ZERO local HD channels in the past year, and I am afraid that we could be looking at another Monday Night Football season without the local ABC HD channel, which unfortunately is owned by Cox. They appear to be bickering like siblings when it comes to carriage of the HD signal, and not just in Atlanta.

Thanks a lot Comcast and Cox.
post #748 of 5517 Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 AM

I guess I should be happy that is only $5 for the set-top box and the channels.

I wonder if there is going to be legislation in the future to make cable companys and broadcasters have to pick up local HD stations. I live in Stone Mountain, and I would have to get a big honking antenna to pick up most of the stations according to antennaweb.org.

post #749 of 5517 Old 04-15-2004, 07:30 AM

Hello, I just had comcast installed. I was a Dish customer. The quality of the analog and SD channels on comcast are sub-par to dish.
I also notice lots of Pixelation on HBOHD and STarzHD, is this normal ??
INHD and ESPNHD look real good.
post #750 of 5517 Old 04-15-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by coolpix
Hello, I just had comcast installed. I was a Dish customer. The quality of the analog and SD channels on comcast are sub-par to dish.
I also notice lots of Pixelation on HBOHD and STarzHD, is this normal ??
INHD and ESPNHD look real good.

Comcast in ATL is just sub-par overall. It seems like the only decent channels are the HD ones. (Note: I only get basic HD - NBC, CBS, FOX.)

I have both DirecTV and Comcast. I just can't bring myself to cut completely over to Comcast just for that reason.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page