Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5534 Old 12-22-2002, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Called on Fri and was told again that it would be 'soon'. Here's to hoping it will be very soon .

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5534 Old 12-26-2002, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thread has been quiet...no new news??
post #63 of 5534 Old 12-26-2002, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I called again today and they are still saying the boxes are in but no appointments are being made. Maybe this has to do with ongoing testing, but they said to call back after January 1. Another CSR said more like end of January and possibly February. Who knows what to believe...
post #64 of 5534 Old 12-26-2002, 09:03 AM

Which number are you calling....I will call today also.
post #65 of 5534 Old 12-26-2002, 09:17 AM

I just called their move/change of service number. Nothing new.
post #66 of 5534 Old 01-01-2003, 07:18 AM

No HD via Comcast for the Ohio/Miami game....
post #67 of 5534 Old 01-01-2003, 08:21 AM

Just called the repair number today and requested an upgrade to the 5100 box. The CSR knew exactly what I was looking for and asked, "Do you have an HDTV?"

Then she went away and came back to tell me they had pushed back the rollout until "late January" since they were still testing the service. She said call back around the 21st.
post #68 of 5534 Old 01-01-2003, 09:17 AM

Just an update; I called Comcast service this morning to ask when I would receive channels 880,890, etc and was put on hold for an extended period. When they came back, they told me that there was a "glitch" in the Motorola boxes and they had been returned. In terms of scheduling setups, he told me to check back in a week and they are not making reservations for appointments.

Brol
post #69 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 06:50 AM

AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH
post #70 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Uhgh...late January....= late????

J Thomas
post #71 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM

late January = mid March
post #72 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

I am afraid that you decoded it correctly.

J Thomas
post #73 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 11:20 AM

Is Comcast still offering the $400 discount to sat subscribers? What number do I call to find out more? I tried the website, but it refers me to ATT's website.

Thanks.

Rino

Pioneer Elite 710
Semi-crappy soundsystem
post #74 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

First of all, pardon my rant...

It's clear from the responses people have been getting that either:

(1) There's been some sort of problem with the roll-out; or
(2) It was never nearly as close to being ready as they led us to believe.

I tend to believe that (1) is true, but regardless, there is no source of hard facts to rely on. It's clear that the CSRs are given conflicting or little to no information. Because of the Comcast-AT&T merger, the chain of command appears to be in flux. If you go go Comcast's website, they refer you to AT&T Broadband, and AT&T's information hasn't been updated since announcing the merger.

I really want to get my HDTV over cable, but I'm unwilling to wait patiently if that wait is indefinite. "Call back after the first of the year" was an appropriate answer, but to call at that time and be told "call again at the end of the month because we don't know when we're offering this service" is not. The channels are on the guide. Comcast is using DCT5100 boxes in other markets successfully (as evidenced by the DCT5100 thread on this very site). I understand that there may be problems, but tell your CSRs what those problems are (and timelines for fixing them) so that they can intelligently help customers.

I went into this believing that Comcast would be more customer-service oriented than AT&T, but so far I can't see it. Comcast is running ads telling everyone how bad satellite service is, and to go with Comcast. But all I know is that if I went with satellite I would be enjoying HDTV now. All Comcast is giving me is excuses...

Happy New Year,

jdp
post #75 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only thing that has kept me from dumping cable is the cost associated with getting a HD capable sat receiver. All I can say to cable companies though is this, It is only a matter of time before their refusal to invest in current technology and customer service leaves them with only low-income households as customers. Satellite hardware costs will continue to drop. Satellite quality will continue to improve. Cable costs will continue to rise. Customers will get tired of their crap. Customers will continue to switch over to satellite. And then the cable companies will have to merge just to stay in business.

Jason
post #76 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 01:40 PM

Jason:

That's exactly why I dumped MediaOne three years ago. They couldn't even spell High Definition back then, and were gouging me for crappy (very crappy) channels.

I switched to Dish, taking advantage of an offer they had back then that meant I got the whole thing (2 dishes and a HD receiver) set up for about $200 after all rebates were in. The only reason I am considering changing back to cable is that I am receiving local HD with my own antenna right now, and I sometimes can't get good reception on some of them.

Overall, though, satellite has been good. More programming (channels) for much less, and most of all, they're on the cutting edge of tech (I have been enjoying HD for three years now).

So, Comcast, get your act together, and just maybe you'll be able to lure some dish subscribers back. So far though, after reading this thread, it doesn't look too good.

Rino

Pioneer Elite 710
Semi-crappy soundsystem
post #77 of 5534 Old 01-02-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just to illustrate my earlier point, I figured I would call to see if I was getting the same info as anyone else. I was told:

"The "5100 boxes" were not yet in the system but were at the warehouse.

At this point, I asked if there had been any problems with the new boxes and if they were returned and being exchange for new ones. Answer: No.

OK, I say, has the rollout been pushed back at all, say until late January? Answer: No.

OK, I say again, so the boxes are in but not in the system, so that's the only reason work orders can't be scheduled? Answer: Yes.

OK, thanks."

RIIIIIIGHT! The CSR I talked to, like every other CSR, has no idea what the actual information is, and really, no reason why he should have known if there is no communication of information from higher up.

Question 1: Does anyone have a contact at Comcast in Atlanta that could give us an answer backed up by some facts and timelines?

Question 2: Comcast claims it is beta-testing HDTV right now (hence channels 880,881, 890, 891). Does anyone know anyone who is part of the beta-test? At one point I heard it was limited to Comcast employees, but I would think someone here might know someone at Comcast. I offer every time I call to be a beta-tester, as I'm sure others have. I've never been contacted, anyone else?

Question 3: Does anyone have a set top box capable of decoding 256 QAM encryption (e.g. a BUD 4DTV box) that they could hook up to the cable wire and see if 880 etc. are actually being broadcast?

Thanks.
post #78 of 5534 Old 01-04-2003, 01:39 PM

It is the exact same crap I went through when it was MediaOne and when I was waiting on high speed data. No one knew anything, you would get a different answer every time you called....I would see a M.O. van in the neighborhood and would ask the tech if he had any news...usually got a shoulder shrug.

MediaOne, then AT&T, now Comcast...same lack of information to the customers different company name.

You would think they would be pimping the HD, try to get people to think twice about going to dish.....but hey, what do I know....
post #79 of 5534 Old 01-04-2003, 08:38 PM

I just got a brochure in the mail and they're pimping HDTV and VOD (Video On Demand). However, they only mention HBO and Showtime HD, not the locals. The brochure includes the new channel lineup, which includes an HDTV section with only HBO and SHOWTIME.

On VOD, they even say you can't get that on satellite.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #80 of 5534 Old 01-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Do they indicate if any of the VOD is HDTV?

J Thomas
post #81 of 5534 Old 01-05-2003, 05:43 PM

No, they do not. That's a very good question though.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #82 of 5534 Old 01-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I would to think that they will have more than just HBO and ShowTime in the fullness of time. However, for those that want more now, DirecTV or Dish Network with OTA is still the more compelling choice IMHO.

J Thomas
post #83 of 5534 Old 01-06-2003, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by jcthomas
I would to think that they will have more than just HBO and ShowTime in the fullness of time. However, for those that want more now, DirecTV or Dish Network with OTA is still the more compelling choice IMHO.

I agree. Or at the very least, it appears that OTA will be necessary in the short term, coupled with HBO and Showtime via cable. Back when Comcast was AT&T, the plan for HD channels was to have NBC and Fox as part of the initial offerings, with ABC in time for the Superbowl. Well, the chances of having ABC-HD on Comcast in a few weeks seems pretty slim...

Who knows when they will even offer HBO and Showtime? No one can get a straight answer, and now they are distributing flyers promoting HD without a timeline (in contrast to VOD and the new HBO and Cinemax channels that are expressly stated to be available in February). This leads me to think that realistically HD won't be available by February

jdp
post #84 of 5534 Old 01-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Good point, re OTA. However, if someone is going to get a set top box to do OTA, it might make more sense to some to get a DirecTV or Dish set top box to do Sat and OTA now and just forget waiting for cable. YMMV.

J Thomas
post #85 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 11:57 AM

Interesting claim. I called them last night & the night before and wanted to switch from Dish to them for there HD offerings. The rep told me they were about 1 to 2 YEARS away from offering that service. She insured me that if they were thinking or trying to offer it they would let the call center know. I told her with all due respect she might consider knowing a little more about her job or atleast listen and read. Anyone else have ANY answers to this freaking question?
post #86 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone noticed that reception on the other channels, particularly analog locals, has become worse since they've been testing HD HBO and Showtime? I'm getting intermittent horizontal lines of color that flash at the top and bottom of the screen, approximately once every 20 seconds.

I just called about it, and they said to unplug my box from the wall and then re-plug it after a few minutes because the box isn't responding properly. I haven't been home to try it yet, but somehow I don't think that will fix the problem...
post #87 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The rep told me they were about 1 to 2 YEARS away from offering that service

I called two days ago and tried to play it cool. I didn't ask for HDTV, but asked to get my current set top box switched out for the new Motorola 5200 box. There was of course a lot of listening to hold music followed by the 3rd degree (who told you about this box, who said you could get it, etc...)

The end result was that they told me that HDTV was in beta with Comcast employees testing it out. Anticipated roll out date was sometime between the end of January and the end of March. Call back periodically and keep asking or watch the website for an announcement. (Which is the same answer others have posted in this thread as well.)

-- Gregg

post #88 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 02:04 PM

Im looking for someone on the inside to post any info. Im considering switching but I want the Super Bowl on my Mit. 55" widescreen in HD. If I buy the Dish 6000 and then Comcast rolls it out, im going to be pissed.

Anyone???
post #89 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

twmooney,

You could consider renting an OTA set top box.

http://www.emsps.com/hdtv/sir-t165.htm

Problem is, this place charges $10 per day including the time the unit is in shipping. You'd probably end up paying $40 to $50 just for the time the thing is sitting on a UPS truck, in addition to however long you keep it. Still, certainly cheaper than shelling out $600 to $700 for a Dish 6000 receiver if you don't think you want to go Dish.

-- Gregg

post #90 of 5534 Old 01-08-2003, 07:35 PM

Actually, it's a lot cheaper than that to get a 6000 system:

Dish Offer

Rino

Pioneer Elite 710
Semi-crappy soundsystem
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception