Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2003, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd bet 100 to 1 that we will not have the SuperBowl on HD on cable. First, it's on ABC, second Comcast hasn't said anything about offering ABC in HD, and third, we can't get them to give us an HD box yet.

I'm counting on watching the HD SuperBowl using the OTA signal from ABC on my Samsung 165.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 10:39 PM

Everyone who wants HDTV from Comcast needs to get togeather and put there names on a petition to show that peopl want this service now. Every time i talk to them Reg will say soon, next month and the csr's will deny that the 890 is even real. If we all act in a group and say hey, we want this or we will all take are money elsewhere, we may be able to get a date or even boxes to use before the cows come home. Let me know if you are interested in this and we could try to make a petiton to send to them.

Phil
Old 01-13-2003, 10:47 PM

Location: Atlanta, GA & Delray Beach, FL - Moving to Celebration FL
Good idea -- while we're at it, let's ask for the box with the PVR!

--- David Brown
Old 01-14-2003, 05:35 AM

I'll sign (even though I'm a happy DISH subscriber right now). If they combine the HD box with the $400 offer, I might just switch.

Rino

Pioneer Elite 710
Semi-crappy soundsystem
Old 01-15-2003, 09:47 AM

I called today to downgraded my package to just HBO since they are jacking up the price to 119 from 103. And at the end i asked if i could upgraded my box to a new 5100 box and was told yes, no problem the DD box can be out to you Tuesday, there was a $15 upgrade charge, but that was it. As soon as i get it i'll post.

Phil
Old 01-15-2003, 10:15 AM

Beware. I've had calls like this before and every single time the box they were referring to was either the 2200 S or the L box (DD 5.1, s-video) not the HDTV box (5100). The last time this happened (~month ago) I had to ask several times for them to give me the STB model number (without providing it myself) and that's how I found out they were going to bring an L box.

I just called after reading your message and got the call-back-first-week-of-Frebruary story.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 AM

Here's the latest conversation I had with Repairs:

After verification of home number, name, and address:

She: How may I help you?

Me: I have digital cable and the HBO package but I cannot see channel 880, which the guide says is HBO-HD

She: Do you have an HDTV?

Me: Yes

She: What kind of box do you have? Is it silver?

Me: It's a 2200.

She: Ahh, that box doesn't have the tuner needed to see channel 880. It will be available shortly, in about two weeks. They will contact everybody to let them know that they can swap the box to get the ones that support HDTV, for free.

Me: So, in two weeks, right?

She: yes

Me: Can I get the appointment now? or do I have to wait for the announcement in two weeks?

She: You have to wait as we cannot make the appointments yet.

Me: Thank you.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Old 01-15-2003, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the transcript of the call and all of your posts on this subject Luis. I consider being two weeks out (plus installation scheduling) to be very good news. Free makes it even better.

Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 10:53 AM

You know, after re-reading my transcript it just occurred to me ... why did she ask me 1) if I had an HDTV and 2) why kind of box I had? This is the repairs number, so obviously some people out there do have 1) HDTV and 2) a 5100 box. We know that the people in the beta program (employees AFAIK) already have it. Perhaps they are supposed to call repairs to report HDTV problems?

Anyway, it's coming ... patience ...

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Old 01-15-2003, 11:05 AM

What if I we call and say that 1) we have HDTV, 2) we have a 5100, 3) it was working, and 4) it stopped working ... maybe we'll get them to come swap the "5100" we have that stopped working

On second thought, maybe they're reading this thread ...

PS
Steve, thanks for the thanks

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Old 01-15-2003, 11:22 AM

Just called ATT and was told some channels would be coming online Feb. 4th. When I asked what the channels would be HBO, Showtime. She then said ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS would be coming on as well. I have no idea if she meant that they were going to be on Feb 4th or that they'd turn those on later in the year.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:37 AM

Location: Atlanta, GA & Delray Beach, FL - Moving to Celebration FL
Quote:

Originally posted by lcaamano

On second thought, maybe they're reading this thread ...

From my experience, they can barely answer the phone...it's pretty unlikely they are on the forum. On the other hand, they could learn something from it!

--- David Brown
Old 01-15-2003, 12:38 PM

so whats the STB model number of the l box, if its the non hd box i'll cancel the order. Phil

Phil
Old 01-15-2003, 12:54 PM

argh...you were right, i called up to double check and was told its just the surround sound box, no hdtv, "were in the testing phase for that."

Phil
Old 01-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so whats the STB model number of the l box

I assume they are using the Motorola 5100 for HD. The DD box they refer to is the 2200L (I think the L adds 5.1 audio support) and it is digital but not HD.

-- Gregg

Old 01-16-2003, 12:28 PM

Since the latest thread seems so optimistic, I called service again and talked with a very nice (not sure about knowledgeable) CSR. She told me that boxes would be available "any day" and were currently out for field service testing. She also said that she would call me when they were ready for distribution (not sure if I believe that either). When I asked about being one of the testers, she said that she would also check into that and give me a call. No info on HD channel selection. She did confirm that a tech must install and would provide all necessary cables. The only thing needed from the customer is the HDTV manual.

We'll see.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:03 PM

Hopefully this is true. My parents have Comcast and after seeing my theater, they went out and splurged on all new equipment. My mother hates the stretch look on the screen. I pray for my father's sake that HD is around the corner for Comcast subscribers.

Go Gamecocks!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brol
She did confirm that a tech must install and would provide all necessary cables. The only thing needed from the customer is the HDTV manual.

yeah sure The HDTV manual ... what about the A/V receiver manual or the ReplayTV manual or the T165 manual or the DVD manual or the MX500 manual??? I'm gonna have to prepare myself not to burst out laughing if the tech asks me for a manual.

There's just no way the cable guy is touching anything in my setup. People still think we have TVs when what we have now are "display devices" connected to a home theater. Boy ... Where do they think the cable tech guy is going to connect the DD 5.1 coax (or optical) cable to? The TV??

Wife: Did we get the cable HDTV box?

Me: Almost.

Wife: What'cha mean?

Me: Well, the cable guy showed up with the box but then he asked for the TV manual. I started laughing so hard I couldn't stop and after 20 minutes he left.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
Old 01-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Man there is alot of people watching this thread. As soon as someone posts, BAM there is another page of replies. Forums are great aren't they!

I stopped calling b/c of their foolishness. After being told it would be 1-2 years out and then these fools not even knowing that they offer a box to do HD with. This lady told me a couple days ago that they dont offer any box other than GE. I said so your telling me "Comcast" Does not offer a Moto 5100 3100 and she said, "Whats that?"

I kindly said thank you for your time. When someone actually is successful in getting one of these installed PLEASE post who you knew that slept with whom ever so I can send a 20 spot or something to get on that list!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:53 PM

Well, got the Comcast flyer in the mail today so I decided to give it a try:

After exchanging some info on the introductory and full pricing:

Me: can I get High Def channels on Comcast
She: No sir, Comcast doesn't have High Def channels yet
Me: Really? I visited my in-laws in Detroit this Christmas and they have Comcast HD!
She: Are they with Comcast or ATT?
Me: Comcast
She: Ah, well that's why: you are on ATT Comcast!
Me: ........
Me: well, ehr.... thanks for the 'info'.... click

I really like the idea of having local channels on my HD cable, but this experience reminds me a little too much of my dealings with Mediaone before I switched to Dish. I think I'll stick with satellite for now.

Rino

Pioneer Elite 710
Semi-crappy soundsystem
Old 01-16-2003, 04:31 PM

I went with Dish to begin with for the choices. I expand my entertainment needs to include my thirst for HD and guess what Dish doesn't have, choice! I refuse to stay with a provider that offers one receiver for HD that they manufacteur and sell to installers/retailers for the retail price, then advertise the selling price as retail forcing the retailers to look bad. Then to top it all off making the tuner for OTA HD extra in order to get the maximum out of there TV is enough to piss me off! I dont care about spending the money and I dont care about who I get my service from as long as choice is involved and service is at its highest. I was willing to pay for direcTV receiver just for OTA HD but why do that if I can have it all in one box and one cable without the need of antenna?

Comcast, get off your butt and help a brotha out!

-T
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM

INDEED.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's an update, I called the repair number today and the csr tried to enter an order for me and then said the system wasn't accepting it, I needed to call the changes number. Got all excited, called changes and got a clueless rep who said the last update on HD was nov 27. I explained that it was currently in beta and repairs said it was available to no avail. I'd recommend a couple others call repair and try to get them to schedule a replacement for you. If you're successful be sure to post what the csr's name was here for others to refer to.

Jason
Old 01-20-2003, 04:20 PM

I just tried to call today, Monday 6:10pm, and I got the same thing. The Service and Repair CSR said that it is supposed to be available but that they don't have a computer system code for the new box and therefore she can't enter a work order. She also said that she would check with a manager and call me back. I called 2 weeks ago now, and was told they were in and that they should be available shortly. I am really hoping by the end of this week, or sometime next week. And, I have had more luck dealing with the service and repair department, every CSR I have talked to there at least knows about the new box, DCT-5100, and knows that it should be available soon. Half of the New Service CSR's have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them. So, stick with the Service and Repair department.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:16 AM

Called again today and was told first week of Feb. Just shotdown the very slim chance I had of watching the Raiders in HD. Oh well.

Jason
Old 01-22-2003, 02:17 PM

Just got a call back from service who got latest information from central purchasing (I don't know how reliable any of this is). The current status is "about" 2 to 3 weeks before Motorola ships units. The CSR couldn't tell me what the problem is, but looking at other HDTV posts, there's apparently a problem with 5100's broadcast of channels 1-99. Since 2-3 weeks is what I heard back a couple of months ago, I'm throwing in the towel on Comcast.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

I saw on another that some Comcast HDTV subscribers were using a Scientific Atlanta box (3100HD?). Anyone familiar with this box? I wonder what determines when they deploy the Scientific Atlanta box and when they deploy the Motorola 5100.

-- Gregg

Old 01-22-2003, 08:27 PM

I use the Scientific Atlanta converter on Time Warner cable in Columbia, SC. I think it is a compatibility and software issue with the company. My parents live in Atlanta and have been calling Comcast once a week only to become sick and tired of their customer service. They don't see it any better than AT&T was. Comcast continues to fill them full of empty promises. I do not understand how a market as big as Atlanta cannot get HDTV service through their cable companies. I have had it in little ol' Columbia, SC for 3 years. I feel terrible for all of you people. My suggestion, go out and buy an OTA decoder box. I think my parents are going out and buying one this week. You can always put it up for sale on Ebay whenever Comcast decides to quit jerking all of y'all around.

Go Gamecocks!
Old 01-23-2003, 05:52 AM

So much for the line 'They're in the warehouse but we don't have authorization to deliver'.

Jason
Old 01-23-2003, 11:25 AM

Many thanks to all on this forum for the info - especially Luis.

I don't have cable or satellite - never have. Got out of the dark ages with new HDTV and just bought OTA decoder last week - Samsung T151. Watched the Raiders game in fabulous HD. I am somewhat "antenna challenged" due to my location, I can't get super-consistent OTA strength, too many trees for satellite, so I would prefer to get the consistency of cable. I figure I've got 30 days to return the Sammy to Best Buy if the unholy AT&T/Comcast alliance offers up HD over cable. Based on all your posts, I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I just hope the weather here is clear on Sunday afternoon for the Superbowl.

Atlanta, by most measures, is high-tech. We must have some of the highest per capita cellphone ownership, PC ownership, DSL usage, etc. We have seven stations broadcasting HD, with PBS coming, and yet we don't have HD over cable, and only minimal HD on satellite...