Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 5532 Old 07-24-2006, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
hey all,
What a great forum for feeding my hdtv obsession. The stories about hdnet's coverage of shuttle blastoff's and oar movies have made me interested in getting their programming, I just get ota now. I tried to go with e* but being in Decatur I have too many trees. Direct dosen't seem like an option due to their pq. So I'm considering for now just getting basic comcast for now(until they get hdnet)and wondering what channels I will get using the qam tuner on my LG LST-4200a?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 5532 Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike jones View Post

hey all,
What a great forum for feeding my hdtv obsession. The stories about hdnet's coverage of shuttle blastoff's and oar movies have made me interested in getting their programming, I just get ota now. I tried to go with e* but being in Decatur I have too many trees. Direct dosen't seem like an option due to their pq. So I'm considering for now just getting basic comcast for now(until they get hdnet)and wondering what channels I will get using the qam tuner on my LG LST-4200a?
thanks

Someone else can answer your QAM question, but you probably should not hold your breath waiting on Comcast to add HDNET. They don't have a separate pricing tier for HD so far and are sloooowww to add HD channels anyway. Other areas have MHD but nothing so far here, will be interesting to see if they have the bandwidth in Atlanta. We had UHD during the Olympics without losing either INHD channel but they dropped it here like a hot potato once the Olympics were done, while other areas have kept it permanently.

PQ is good for HD via Comcast but the slow add rate for HD here is annoying.
post #1713 of 5532 Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 AM

You will get less than OTA since Comcast doesn't carry UPN. The HD channels you would get in QAM are ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, TBS, WB. If you subscribe to a digital package then you'd also get TNT, ESPN 1 & 2, Discovery Theater, a Braves HD channel and INHD 1 & 2 (unless they remove 2 next week).
post #1714 of 5532 Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

You will get less than OTA since Comcast doesn't carry UPN. The HD channels you would get in QAM are ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, TBS, WB. If you subscribe to a digital package then you'd also get TNT, ESPN 1 & 2, Discovery Theater, a Braves HD channel and INHD 1 & 2 (unless they remove 2 next week).

I'm also a member of bbr forums, and there was a poster that got info. from a very high source saying(with confidence) that HDNET will be rolling out this year. I believe it said that the launch will begin sometime in October.
post #1715 of 5532 Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew535 View Post

Comcast will let you drop off at the Chamblee location. I've heard both yes and no for self install. Let us know what they tell you.

I've been in contact with comcast of stone mountain for a week trying to get them to waive the instalation fee with no success. I mentioned that Ihave cable internet withthem and digital silver for two years. I'm extremely likely to switch to dish hd and get DSL to avoid the $57 internet cale fee.
post #1716 of 5532 Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM

I have posted this question on one other site before, with mixed reviews / advice.

I am a newbie to the site and am having a house remodeled here in Atlanta. I am finally getting close to the finish line (thank god)!

But my question is, I am about to take the leap and get HD programming for the first time. I have been a Direct TV customer for about 10 years but never with an HD package. I like the idea of Comcast so I can get Vonage phone service, with a cable modem, HD programming, on demand etc... but I worry that the picture quality won't be very good on the channels that are not HD. Anyone have any thoughts - or can tell me what to expect with Comcast's channels that aren't HD vs. DirectTV's channels that look great (to me anyway)?

Thanks!
post #1717 of 5532 Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM

jeffcat1,

I switched from DirecTV to Comcast in the Atlanta area about 2 months ago. Believe it or not, the SD channels are much, much better on Comcast. I was pleasantly surprised with how good they are. DirecTV has been stealing bits with an increasing rate the past few years and the picture quality on DirecTV has suffered. It happened gradually.

So you know, I compared the SD channels on Comcast to DirecTV on a 60" Sony SXRD HDTV. Comcast blew DirecTV away. And the SD channels look great on our SD TV's, much better than DirecTV did on those too.

While I did not have the DirecTV HD package, I've heard from others that it's OK, but not spectacular.

For HD, I have an OTA antenna, and I also get the Comcast HD package. You really don't get much for the extra $$$ on the Comcast HD package. The locals are on the cable and are in the clear, by FCC regulation (except for WUPA, don't know why) so you'll get them even if you don't subscribe to the Comcast HD package. I've compared the HD locals on Comcast to the OTA HD and there is some degradation on Comcast, but it's not bad. HBO and Showtime HD look great, as does DiscoveryHD. INHD is OK too.

The past few days Comcast has been having some problem with some of their HD channels (806, 809, 880). They are breaking up badly. It was fixed on Monday, but just noticed they were messed up again today. Don't know if it's weather related...I tend to doubt that. But the analog versions of those channels are still there, so I can suffer through that.

I am very pleased with OnDemand. Didn't realize that most of what if offers comes along with the package we subscribe to (Digital Silver). So most of OnDemand selections are available at no additional charge. Not a lot of it is in HD, though, perhaps just 5 or 6 movies (the free OnDemand).

We made the switch for several reasons, including, like you, using their Internet service. I plan to switch this month from DSL to Comcast internet. And we'll be dropping our home phone, instead using our cellphones exclisvely.

Overall I am pleased with Comcast. I changed from cable to DirecTV about 7 years ago because the cable quality was really bad. But they've rebuilt the system and their picture quality now exceed that of DirecTV.

BTW, we found that Comcast was price competitive with DirecTV, within $5 or so. And we're using the Comcast/Motorola DCT-3412 HD-DVR. It's not TiVo, and we miss our DirecTiVo. But for the extra monthly fee with Comcast, if it fails they will replace it. So far it's been reliable and we are really pleased with the quality from this HD-DVR (via HDMI).

Finally, I forgot how easy it was to distribute cable through the house. Even HD. We don't have a set-top box on our upstairs 2nd HDTV, but we essentially use it for the locals anyways and they are in the clear in HD via cable anyways. If we miss the other channels, maybe we'll pay the extra and get a set-top box for the 2nd TV, but right now we feel we don't need it.

Just my 2-cents.
post #1718 of 5532 Old 08-01-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcat1 View Post

I have posted this question on one other site before, with mixed reviews / advice.

I am a newbie to the site and am having a house remodeled here in Atlanta. I am finally getting close to the finish line (thank god)!

But my question is, I am about to take the leap and get HD programming for the first time. I have been a Direct TV customer for about 10 years but never with an HD package. I like the idea of Comcast so I can get Vonage phone service, with a cable modem, HD programming, on demand etc... but I worry that the picture quality won't be very good on the channels that are not HD. Anyone have any thoughts - or can tell me what to expect with Comcast's channels that aren't HD vs. DirectTV's channels that look great (to me anyway)?

Thanks!

Well, I'm not even from Atlanta, but I was recently their. I was at my uncle's house who subscribes to all of the services you listed. Atlanta's system, unlike mine, is all digital simulcast, so every channel is digital just as Directv. However, the channels are cleaner and a bit sharper than DTV. Their HD is also better. Comcast-Atlanta has very good infrastructure and has to have one of the only channel line-ups(via Comcast) that rivals that of a satellite company.

Also, if you are not into subscribing to a full digital package, there is a package called enhanced basic in which you get a digital receiver, all of your expanded basic channels in digital quality, On demand, Music Choice, and a few of the common digital tiered channels such as plex and some others. You'd have to call and ask if you can subscribe to Comcast HD to go along with this package, but it's a good deal. You get it for about two dollars more than expanded basic. That's a lot of extra features for two dollars more.

I only wish Savannah would catch up.

If you're bundling, you may want to consider the Triple Play offer.
post #1719 of 5532 Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM

Anyone in the Atlanta area on Comcast have severe digital breakup on these channels Saturday and today?
806 - WXIA-HD
809 - WGCL-HD
846 - DiscoveryHD
880 - HBO-HD (started today)
I am getting these bad signals on both a 3412 DVR and CableCard. On 806 and 809, I can see them "in the clear" on a 2nd TV and they are still breaking up.
Anyone see this too and/or know what's up?
post #1720 of 5532 Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to both you guys for answering my questions / giving me some valuable feedback. I look forward to testing Comcast now!
post #1721 of 5532 Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcat1 View Post

Just wanted to say thanks to both you guys for answering my questions / giving me some valuable feedback. I look forward to testing Comcast now!

Your more than welcome. Since Comcast doesn't really do anything in Savannah, Ga, I try to learn a lotabout their other Georgia systems, so if you have anymore questions(even about your area) about what's available/infrastructure, I can probably be a help to you. I just won't know much about reception problems.
post #1722 of 5532 Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 AM

If anyones interested I've been able to pickup the last couple of Braves HD games via QAM on 111-1 on my HDTVs tuner. It says Braves HD all day in black and white and then during game time the game comes on and there are no commercials you just get a silent view of the field or whatever the camera man is taping during normal commercial breaks but the channel is crystal clear and looks as good or better than FOX-DT and ABC-DT and very comparable to CBS-DT in Atlanta.
post #1723 of 5532 Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikyle View Post

If anyones interested I've been able to pickup the last couple of Braves HD games via QAM on 111-1 on my HDTVs tuner. It says Braves HD all day in black and white and then during game time the game comes on and there are no commercials you just get a silent view of the field or whatever the camera man is taping during normal commercial breaks but the channel is crystal clear and looks as good or better than FOX-DT and ABC-DT and very comparable to CBS-DT in Atlanta.

Good to know. I don't have a QAM tuner, but this sounds identical to what you see when the games are shown on Comcast channel 755.
post #1724 of 5532 Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Hello all!

I need the advice of someone that works for a cable provider. I have a 40" Sony XBR LCD that has the cable card slot. I live about 35 miles south of Atlanta and have Comcast Digital Starter w/ HD. After many tech trips made by Comcast (long story), they finally got the cable card working last week (at least 98% working anyway). However, I came home today and every channel past channel 31 indicates not authorized. If I pull the card I can get all the standard def channels, but when I have the cable card in it even restricts the majority of those. Comcast is going to send out another tech, but I really don't know why. It is a waste of their time and mine. All they do is ask me questions and then call back into the home office. I can give the account reps @ the home office the info from the card, but whatever.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
post #1725 of 5532 Old 08-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscanes View Post

Hello all!

I need the advice of someone that works for a cable provider. I have a 40" Sony XBR LCD that has the cable card slot. I live about 35 miles south of Atlanta and have Comcast Digital Starter w/ HD. After many tech trips made by Comcast (long story), they finally got the cable card working last week (at least 98% working anyway). However, I came home today and every channel past channel 31 indicates not authorized. If I pull the card I can get all the standard def channels, but when I have the cable card in it even restricts the majority of those. Comcast is going to send out another tech, but I really don't know why. It is a waste of their time and mine. All they do is ask me questions and then call back into the home office. I can give the account reps @ the home office the info from the card, but whatever.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

In Fayette County by any chance? I too have a CableCard problem with a Sony XBR. It took them five tries to get a tech here, with a card, that had even a clue about what to do. Then he left, the card here but not working. I called customer service and asked them to do a hit, and voila, it worked....mostly. I don't get Channels 120 and 136 and they are beginning to point their finger at Sony. Ridiculous since on Channel 120 I see their local commercial inserts, but not the actual MSNBC program. So we are going round and round on this one. Fortunately the town I live in has a pretty strict agreement with good access to Comcast higher-ups, although those folks have been less than spectacular in getting this fixed too.

Suggest you call customer service and ask them to re-hit your card. Also, confirm the card number and host ID with them. If they are wrong, then the card may not program correctly when they re-hit it. The numbers should be available in one of the menus on the TV.

Let us know how it all works out.
post #1726 of 5532 Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 AM

Anyone have any news on WUPN ?

CW starts broadcasting this fall, and comcast doesn't yet carry WUPN (and hence, doesn't carry CW either) ...

With the combination of the two networks, there will be more programming and people who'll want to watch ...

- litz
post #1727 of 5532 Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post

CW starts broadcasting this fall, and comcast doesn't yet carry WUPN (and hence, doesn't carry CW either) ...

With the combination of the two networks, there will be more programming and people who'll want to watch ...

- litz

Hasn't Atlanta already established it's CW affiliate in place of UPN. I believe WB has become MYNetwork TV up there. I was up there last week.
post #1728 of 5532 Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:

- litz

Hasn't Atlanta already established it's CW affiliate in place of UPN? I believe WB has become MYNetwork TV up there. I was up there last week.
post #1729 of 5532 Old 08-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Established, yes ... WUPN is the CW affiliate, and WATL (who carried WB) is the MyNetwork affilliate.

WUPN is however NOT carried on comcast, at this point.

which means CW will not be carried on Comcast. Unless something changes real fast and they pick up the station.
post #1730 of 5532 Old 08-13-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Established, yes ... WUPN is the CW affiliate, and WATL (who carried WB) is the MyNetwork affilliate.

WUPN is however NOT carried on comcast, at this point.

which means CW will not be carried on Comcast. Unless something changes real fast and they pick up the station.

Do you mean that it will not be carried in "HD"? b/c Comcast does carry CW. I'm assumung you are talking about the HD signal. Keep in mind, CW(the official/national version) doesn't launch until sometime in September.
post #1731 of 5532 Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:

- litz

You might want to check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW_Television_Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Network_TV

for more information about start up dates.
post #1732 of 5532 Old 08-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo4357 View Post

You might want to check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW_Television_Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Network_TV

for more information about start up dates.

I didn't see any info on Comcast carrying WUPA (to be CW) in HD, and what would happen to the HD channel currently occupied by WATL (to be My Network).
post #1733 of 5532 Old 08-14-2006, 01:47 PM

I belive the company that owns WXIA (channel 11) purchased WATL. Rumors are they are moving into the WATL office and studio space.

My HD DVD player is NOT for sale.
post #1734 of 5532 Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 PM

Hey all...

I just had a 6412 installed a few days ago and I searched this thread but didn't find anything on this small problem.

MSNBC (Channel 120) is really really loud compared to every other channel. Any one else notice this??

Atlanta, GA - Comcast
post #1735 of 5532 Old 08-17-2006, 03:41 AM

Does anyone here record from their Comcast STB to PC via firewire?

If so are channels like ESPN-HD and TNT-HD copy protected (5C=1)?
post #1736 of 5532 Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 AM

INHD1 is now NFLHD channel as of this morning. I'm on the Vinings headend.
post #1737 of 5532 Old 08-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinley View Post

yup i can confirm this but also add that it appears the programming is still the same (poker, stormchasers, etc) as INHD when there are no NFL games.
post #1738 of 5532 Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 PM

Yup, I noticed this today as well. The programming still shows INHD programming and I advanced the program guide two weeks and still the same type of programming. I called to see if there was going to be any change but they did not know anything further at the time. I hope we will get all NFL content in HD. Anyone else find out anything further or have any guesses on what type of programming we can look forward to?
post #1739 of 5532 Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Also interested in the NFL/INHD situation, but I wish they'd chosen INHD2 instead.

I was also changing channels and saw the new MyATL bug. It's worse than The CW's (and that in itself is hideous) and as bad as, if not worse than, INHD's. My guess is that we'll get stuck with this worthledd channel in HD instead of CW, which will have a few good shows. The bug can be seen at http://wb36.trb.com/ but that picture doesn't do justice to the actual size of the thing.
post #1740 of 5532 Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinley View Post

Yea, good for those of you who like NFL, sucks for those of us who don't. And if they change INHD2 to UHD, then we may have lost another entertainment channel too. INHD, at least for me, showed way better stuff than INHD2. So they take away the main INHD channel. Why can't they drop a few shopping or other worthless channels and add some good entertainment. Oh wait, this is Comcast we're talking about. Never mind.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page