Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 82 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2431 of 5562 Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

Music Choice channel and format changes coming on 9/18/07:

http://www.comcast.com/atlantachanne...ges091807.html

I find it odd that they put a message on the box and put out a press release for stuff like this, but when Food HD and HGTV HD -- channels people might actually watch -- were added, not a peep. They just appeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5562 Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Digital cable is basically unwatchable right now in Alpharetta, lots of breakups... anyone else having problems?

EDIT
OK, appears to be fixed now.
post #2433 of 5562 Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
Now it's out in Norcross.
post #2434 of 5562 Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Did anyone else notice the Saturday and Sunday Braves games in Washington were in HD? First time they have done that for road games. At least we can enjoy that for a couple weeks.....
post #2435 of 5562 Old 09-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Yeah, I gather this was because TBS is practicing their HD broadcasts for next month. One other thing I noticed, it looks like FSN Florida is going to be broadcasting the games from Atlanta in HD this week, so I would assume that, combined with the FSN South HD broadcast from there a couple of weeks ago, we can expect reciprocity with the Marlins to get all future FSN Florida/Sun Sports HD broadcasts of the Braves here, as well!
post #2436 of 5562 Old 09-17-2007, 03:16 PM

I have a problem with my Comcast box. For some reason when I am viewing any of the HD channels, I can't get the Guide to come up at all. On SD channels it works fine and I can scroll through the guide at will, but on HD channels when I push the Guide button nothing happens.

Am I missing something?
post #2437 of 5562 Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Well, the FSN HD college football game is on 876, but there's no sound...
post #2438 of 5562 Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Speaking of sound, is anyone else here extremely annoyed at how LOUD CBS HD is compared to every other HD channel on Comcast? And when a commercial comes on, it's just ridiculous. I run the sound from the cable through my TV into coax digital out to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and I can't turn down the volume enough to where I can still hear the other HD channels while keeping CBS tolerable.

Really sucks when you're switching channels watching football. IMO this is one area that the FCC should mandate, some sort of universal sound level across channels.
post #2439 of 5562 Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Speaking of sound, is anyone else here extremely annoyed at how LOUD CBS HD is compared to every other HD channel on Comcast? And when a commercial comes on, it's just ridiculous. I run the sound from the cable through my TV into coax digital out to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and I can't turn down the volume enough to where I can still hear the other HD channels while keeping CBS tolerable.

Really sucks when you're switching channels watching football. IMO this is one area that the FCC should mandate, some sort of universal sound level across channels.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have to turn CBS HD down by 10 Db whenever I use that channel. I thought it might just be the Comcast Motorolla DVR, but after I switched the the Tivo HD, it still happens.
post #2440 of 5562 Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nope, you two aren't the only ones with the problem. I turned to CBSHD earlier tonight during one of the Tonight Show's breaks and the speakers nearly blasted me into oblivion. I muted the receiver as quickly as I could and my roommate yells from his room, "You turned it to CBS, didn't ya?" LOL
post #2441 of 5562 Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 AM

Bravo is way loud too.
post #2442 of 5562 Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

Since WTBS changes to WPCH, did they mention if we'll get the national TBS channel?

I think the answer is yes as of October 1st.

"Q: Q: Why am I losing WTBS HD?
A: When WTBS is re-branded to WPCH (Peachtree TV), it will no longer offer High Definition programming. TBS HD will replace WTBS HD on the line-up, using the same channel number previously assigned to WTBS-HD."
post #2443 of 5562 Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Is anyones ABC HD audio not coming through in 5.1? I'm getting 2.0 Wed and Thursday. Other channels coming in 5.1 just fine. Anyone else? Comcast Vinings Head End.
post #2444 of 5562 Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckloons View Post

I think the answer is yes as of October 1st.

"Q: Q: Why am I losing WTBS HD?
A: When WTBS is re-branded to WPCH (Peachtree TV), it will no longer offer High Definition programming. TBS HD will replace WTBS HD on the line-up, using the same channel number previously assigned to WTBS-HD."

Where did you see this Q and A? was it on the tbs or comcast website?
post #2445 of 5562 Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This is strange. My TBS HD channel used to not show anything listed as HD -- the little HD icon to the left of the program bar -- but now a lot of things are. I wonder when they made the change. Also, The Science Channel is no longer listed, thought it's still on the air. It's now listed as DSCT and every show on the channel has the HD icon next to it even though nothing is being broadcast in HD and the channel number (110) is way far away from the other HD channels (202-237). Are we getting more channels?
post #2446 of 5562 Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM

The HD programming notation in the guide just notes that shows are available in HD, but since Comcast doesn't have The Science Channel HD, it doesn't matter for us.
post #2447 of 5562 Old 09-30-2007, 02:58 PM

ABC WSBTV still in dolby digital 2.0 stereo sound for me. Has been this way all week. Neighbor down the street is seeing the same thing. Comcast Vinings Head end. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks.

Edit: Per WSB there is an issue with the sterio audio ABC is passing to their station. The stereo sound was having an echo effect during live television events. They are attempting to diagnose the problem and have ordered new equipment but 5.1 will be inactive until the issue is resolved.
post #2448 of 5562 Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else here get horrible lip sync with TNT HD channel also? I have spoke to other comcast users throughout the country and they do not get TNT HD lag (I assumed it was universal everywhere if they owned comcast service) Now I am starting to think the broadcast we get here in Atlanta from that channel here in Atlanta has the audio not properly timed.

I try not to set my receivers A/V audio lag sync to TNT HD channel, because If I set it to work normally for that channel, all my other HD channels will be off.

Whats really ironic about this is Turner Broadcasting is HQ'd down here and we get the shaft on audio sync.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #2449 of 5562 Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meinken View Post

Where did you see this Q and A? was it on the tbs or comcast website?

Comcast website

http://www.comcast.com/atlantachanne...s/default.html

Hopefully they'll keep updating this page
post #2450 of 5562 Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Do you guys have to pay extra to get the network broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, etc.) in HD? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case because usually those channels are broadcast as an in the clear QAM signal. I have a friend in Atlanta who says he has to pay extra for HD channels but all he is getting is the NBC, CBS, etc. broadcast channels. He says he confirmed that with the Comcast folks and they said that is all he should get.
post #2451 of 5562 Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Is anybody suddenly having any problems with TBS HD? It was working fine during yesterday's Braves game but I just turned on tonight's game and I'm getting an occasional picture but mostly nothing but a black screen.
post #2452 of 5562 Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM

TBS HD looks fine for me here in Alpharetta. I turned it on and was surprised to see the Braves game in HD. I had forgotten that we were getting TBS HD today.
post #2453 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdilliker View Post

Do you guys have to pay extra to get the network broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, etc.) in HD? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case because usually those channels are broadcast as an in the clear QAM signal. I have a friend in Atlanta who says he has to pay extra for HD channels but all he is getting is the NBC, CBS, etc. broadcast channels. He says he confirmed that with the Comcast folks and they said that is all he should get.

No you don't have to pay extra to get the locals in HD, so if you have a TV with a QAM tuner you should be able to get all of them.

I had the same problem with Comcast with the other HD channels however - if all you have is Digital Starter (or expanded basic) and you add on HD, you will NOT get all the HD channels that they offer. All you will get is the locals in HD. You have to give them $12 more a month to step up to Digital Basic to get all the other non-premium HD channels (i.e. everything else except HBO, SHO, etc.). Really sucks and IMO is deceptive marketing because they are tiering HD like everything else but do not explain this on the rate card. Plus you're paying for more mostly crap channels just to get the HD channels that you do want.
post #2454 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM

You get the locals whether you want them or not, they can't turn them off. Whether your POS Comcast DVR shows them to you or not is another thing, but they are there, and cannot be turned off if you have comcast internet.

-Jay
post #2455 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
anyone else having problems receiving digital audio from ESPN-2 HD???
post #2456 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Yep, hasn't worked here in Alpharetta since last night.
post #2457 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post

Nope, you two aren't the only ones with the problem. I turned to CBSHD earlier tonight during one of the Tonight Show's breaks and the speakers nearly blasted me into oblivion. I muted the receiver as quickly as I could and my roommate yells from his room, "You turned it to CBS, didn't ya?" LOL

Just thought I would chime in. I have Charter here in Athens, but the CBS station is always 10,000 louder. Really annoying while switching between football games on Saturdays.
post #2458 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

No you don't have to pay extra to get the locals in HD, so if you have a TV with a QAM tuner you should be able to get all of them.

I had the same problem with Comcast with the other HD channels however - if all you have is Digital Starter (or expanded basic) and you add on HD, you will NOT get all the HD channels that they offer. All you will get is the locals in HD. You have to give them $12 more a month to step up to Digital Basic to get all the other non-premium HD channels (i.e. everything else except HBO, SHO, etc.). Really sucks and IMO is deceptive marketing because they are tiering HD like everything else but do not explain this on the rate card. Plus you're paying for more mostly crap channels just to get the HD channels that you do want.

Yeah I figured that about the locals but was trying to figure out what my friend is paying for. He said he is paying for some sort of "HD" package but all he gets are locals. Maybe he does only have Digital Starter like you say above, but would Comcast let him add the HD package then? It seems like you would be paying for nothing.
post #2459 of 5562 Old 10-02-2007, 06:35 PM

So tonight our local HD channels, except for 804/WAGA/Fox, are going out every 25 minutes or so, for about 2 minutes each time. Doesn't affect the non-local HD's. Thank you Comcast for servicing the system in prime-time...proof once again that you don't need to think when you work for Comcast. Ever hear that there's time of the day when viewership is much less than it is during prime time? Perhaps midnight to 6am? Oh, wait, you'd have to think about that.

At least that's what's happening here on the Southside.

Glad I put an antenna in the attic.
post #2460 of 5562 Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM

Did another scan to see if I could find anymore channels yesterday and Success! In the old Adelphia area, I was able to locate the new HGTV- HD and Food HD channels. See list below:

19.1 PBS HD
19.8 CW HD
67.379 (SXRD), my Westinghouse QAM tuner could not find Oxygen
77.1 (77.859 on my SXRD) HGTV HD
77.2 (77.857 on my SXRD) Food HD

92.21 FOX - HD
99.3 ABC - HD
99.10 TBS - HD
101.2 ATL - HD
108.10 CBS - HD
108.30 NBC - HD
116.12 Weather