post #331 of 4536 Old 06-27-2003, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by c_perrone
Robert,

Congratulations! It looks like the weather finally gave you a break.. I'm a little surprised at the relatively strong signal I'm getting here in Wexford with my attic antenna. I know you said that you won't be up to full strength for quite some time. Anyway, it's great to have WFMJ-DT on the air.

--Clint--

Wow if thats not at full strength, it still blows WYTV's signal strength out of the water!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 4536 Old 06-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by debennett2
Kent,
Do you mind sharing on "how" you watched all these shows via Directv? Unless you are getting some special channel that I am not aware of, I don't see how Directv is letting you watch these.

I use an antenna. Don't take my comments so seriously. I am only trying to make a point. Us DirecTV people don't suffer as much as the cable people would have you believe.
post #333 of 4536 Old 06-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

I understand that but you must also look at it from their point of view: They don't have to have an antenna, nor point one (not to mention a dish).

Dan Bennett

Learning something new every minute.
post #334 of 4536 Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Nor can they ever make any positive statement about themselves without slamming satellite. It's annoying.
post #335 of 4536 Old 06-28-2003, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Everyone always wants to think what they have chosen to use (or not chosen but have to deal with) was the best alternative. No one wants to look foolish with their money. The sooner people get over that, the better everyone else is off... Just my opinion.

Dan Bennett

Learning something new every minute.
post #336 of 4536 Old 06-28-2003, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with kaa...cable companies and satellite co's are like politicians...here's not why you should go with me, but why you shouldn't go with the other guy.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #337 of 4536 Old 07-02-2003, 07:19 AM

I've been messing around the last couple days trying to get my closed captioning working. Can you all help me out a little and turn CC on and see if you're getting it OK? My integrator led me to believe some STB's can't get it.

As far as I'm concerned, WFMJ-DT is on the air. We're supposed to run a story in the news sometime in the next week making an "official" announcement. My thanks to all who have let me know they can see us...even the DX'er in Middletown Ohio (240 miles near Dayton) who got about a minute of WFMJ-DT on a bounce.

P.S. To anyone that watched Leno last night and noticed something missing (sound), it was a transmission problem at NBC. I thought I broke a wire in the rack working on closed captioning.
post #338 of 4536 Old 07-02-2003, 10:52 AM

I'm still not getting NBC in high def. I don't know why it's been a while.
post #339 of 4536 Old 07-02-2003, 12:26 PM

talked to an engineer at wpxi a couple of days ago who said a part in the station's NBC-owned HD equipment had failed. This person said the part in question doesn't typically fail, so the network is taking time to see if it can figure out what went wrong before simply replacing the part. Said HD should be back 'within a week' ... we'll see!
post #340 of 4536 Old 07-02-2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I've been messing around the last couple days trying to get my closed captioning working. Can you all help me out a little and turn CC on and see if you're getting it OK? My integrator led me to believe some STB's can't get it.

Robert,
I will try to turn on Law & Order long enough tonight to see if it works with the SIR-T151 and let you know here.

PS why not change your sig to WFMJ-TV/WFMJ-DT ? ?

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
post #341 of 4536 Old 07-02-2003, 09:27 PM

Greetings,

I was happy to find this thread on AVS. I want to say thanks to everyone for posting, as I found it very informative. I'm just about to enter the HDTV arena. I just received my Z1 today and love it. However, I had a few questions regarding OTA antenna's. I live in the Belleuve/Avalon area just a few blocks off of RT 65. I purchased DirectTV back in 1998, and was very happy with it (Not to mention, I'm big NFL fan). However they didn't offer local channels back then so a rep from BB suggested I try an OTA Antenna. I tried a variety of antennas Powered and non powered (but all indoor) and spent many hours trying to get a decent signal without any success. The only station I could get in semi clear was WPXI. This was a major disappointment for me, because my only other options were to order cable with a life line service which I ended up doing for a bit until I switched to DishNetwork because they offered the locals before DirecTV. I ended up switching back to DTV once they offered locals in the Pgh area. I plan on subscribing to their new HDTV package but would like to receive the locals digitally as well. My first question is are the Digital signals OTA much stronger than the analog? Or will I be in the same boat as before with poor reception. I've read some posts on here about people who have had some great success with indoor antenna's. In fact I'm amazed that some people are getting such strong signal strengths and they are located farther from Pittsburgh than me. I'd prefer an indoor instead of an outdoor because my house is a 3 story house with a very steep roof. I think I would have a hard time finding an installer who would want the job without making a premium. I do have a semi-finished attic so putting an antenna up there would be a possibility as well. Can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna? I'm looking forward to the possibility of getting the locals in HDTV. Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

Regards,

Mark
post #342 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mark,
I don't think you will have much trouble pulling in local digital signals except for WTAE-51. They are transmitting from Elizabeth, PA which does not help their weak signal.
I would stick with an attic antenna since it will be bigger & it will be much higher than say in the living room. Location of the antenna is key for most of us.
I would recommend using the Channel Master Model 4221 (4 bay bow-tie). You can find it here:
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Ant...master_ant.htm

There are many antennas that could do the job for you...this is one I have had good luck with.
I hope this helps...Good luck & may the signal be with you!

edit=spelling
post #343 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info Kent. I have a small Window in the Attic, so should that be enough for the reception? Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
post #344 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mark,
No windows needed. I have heard that wet roofs do cause problems but I can not confirm. You are in good shape.
post #345 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 10:14 AM

Thanks again for the info. BTW, do you happen to have DirecTV? I'm looking at some DTV receivers right now. I'm thinking of buying a used on off of Ebay to start out with such as the RCA DTC-100 or the Panasonic TU-HDS20 (with the newere firmware program guide update). I don't plan on purchasing any type of recorder so DVI isn't a priority for me. Down the road I'll probably end up going to the new HDTV DirecTivo that is supposed to be released in November.
post #346 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

One other thing Mark, you may want to put that antenna on a rotor for easy aiming. Some of these signals can be highly directional.
post #347 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I use the Toshiba DST-3000 & have no complaints. I too am waiting for HDTivo. It will change everything!
post #348 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 10:57 AM

Well I just purchased an RCA DTC-100 from E-bay and should receive it next week. I'll probably order the antenna next week, and the C Sat kit from DTV as well, so I'll post the results of my signal strenghts once I get everything up and running. Thanks for the help, I can't wait to check out HDTV.
post #349 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 11:01 AM

Sorry. One more quick question. Do you think there would be any advantage of me going with the Channel Master model 4228A 8-BAY? It has an extra 15 (total 60) mile range than the 4-Bay. I don't mind spending a little extra money if it will help increase the signal strength. Thanks!
post #350 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 PM

Mark,

I have the 4228 installed in my attic here in Wexford. It works well for me, but you have to remember that what may work for one, may not work for another. I get all the local Pittsburgh stations. WFMJ-DT from Youngstown comes in fine, WYTV-DT only on occasion. I do get reception from Cleveland as well in the early mornings at about 100 miles, but I'm sure that has to do with atmospheric skipping, although it does come in every morning. Anyway welcome to the board and good luck.

--Clint--
post #351 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info and welcome Clint! Do you have DirecTV as well? If so what model receiver are you using? I've also been reading about people having some success with the Zenith Silver Sensor. I may try one of those out first, just to see if I have any luck before running RG6 up to the attic. Anyone have any experience with the Zenith Silver Sensor? I'm sure everyone probably has checked out this site, but I'll list it anyway. I found www.hdtvpub.com pretty interesting. You punch in your Zipcode and other people posted reviews based upon their location on how they received the signals. Just thought I'd mention it. Thanks again everyone for your help. Much appreciated as I learn more about HDTV.
post #352 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mgraham
I've also been reading about people having some success with the Zenith Silver Sensor. I may try one of those out first, just to see if I have any luck before running RG6 up to the attic. Anyone have any experience with the Zenith Silver Sensor?

Radio Shack also sells a good inexpensive TV top antenna. You are on the right track eliminating this possibility first. I would be interested in your results.
post #353 of 4536 Old 07-03-2003, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Been using the silver sensor off and on in Oakland. I was able to get WPXI, KDKA, and WQED from my 6th floor apartment on Forbes Ave (facing N-NW). Now, in my first floor apartment on Semple St (facing south) I don't get sh!t. That's life in the city, though. Damn Comcast taking their time...

I've heard success stories from guys in the suburbs, including places as far away as Cranberry, which mystifies me because that's getting out there, and some of these guys are getting WTAE-DT... I guess it's just some dumb luck sometimes. Ultimately, the Silver Sensor is a very solid indoor antenna and when not surrounded by walls, and when given a bit of elevation, can easily get you some pretty good signals. It's worth the small cost now that you can't get the Radio Shack double bowties anymore.

Dan

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #354 of 4536 Old 07-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Im going to carnegie mellon this fall and I want to know what kind of antenna I should bring. Will an omnidirectional do or will multipathing mess stuff up? I'm also worried their wireless network might mess things up. Any thoughts on that? I dont know taht I can live without my HD 8 months out of the year (Im using a capture card hehe, Not bring an hdtv to my dorm.)
post #355 of 4536 Old 07-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think anyone can tell you what kind of antenna will work for you. I would say bring whatever you already have, and it if doesn't work you can go to a local radio shack and try some other types and return them if they don't work. Wireless networks won't interfere with TV reception. Since CMU is so geek-friendly, maybe you could get them to throw the local HD signals onto the dorm cable system. Who knows, maybe it's already done.
post #356 of 4536 Old 07-11-2003, 05:44 PM

I haven't heard anything about cmu having cable in the dorms!! Also, in order to get hd signal over cable you need a qam hdtv tuner which doesn't exist, at the moment.
post #357 of 4536 Old 07-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Most dorms have cable systems...so I'm sure they do. You can put standard 8VSB over cable and it will take up one 6mhz channel, just like any analog channel. You can then plug the cable into any OTA tuner and tune the channel. Some real cable companies actually do this.
post #358 of 4536 Old 07-13-2003, 03:56 PM

Any updates on WPXI? It's been DOA for a while now. I missed watching the NASCAR race in digital quality today

Gary
post #359 of 4536 Old 07-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

WPXI-DT is fine on Armstrong cable. I haven't seen any actual HD since I don't watch Leno but the upconversion is fine.
post #360 of 4536 Old 07-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Just noticed L&O:CI is in HD on WPXI-DT.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page