Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4536 Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2Bdark View Post

I checked the coordinates listed for WEMW, and they do indeed put the station in a parking lot near routes 66 and 30. However, in searching around the surrounding area's satellite imagery, I found a group of towers and satellite dishes across Route 30 very near Seton Hill University where Mt. Thor Rd. makes a sharp turn. This could very well be the location you are looking for. Coordinates are 40.314722,-79.567072 on Google. The station asked for an extension of their construction permit until mid July to go online from that location. Six more weeks.

Where do you see an application for those coordinates? The request for extension that I linked to referenced the original construction permit and did not mention any change in coordinates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4536 Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Liked: 10
Dave, I didn't see an application with those coordinates. The location I referenced is from Google' satellite imagery for an antenna site located close to the application coordinates, which I postulated may be their tower.
I may be wrong. I've been wrong in the past, and I will probably be wrong again in the future.
post #4413 of 4536 Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
Understand, but the way you wrote your post implied that the extension referenced the tower site you found. It does no such thing. If the tower is what is intended, then the owners need to file an amendment to specify that. Actually, the status of the extension is not settled as far as the publicly-available records indicate. The extension is shown as "Accepted for Filing" which means that the FCC has not evaluated it yet. There is a chance that it may be dismissed as it was filed AFTER the original construction permit expired.
post #4414 of 4536 Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

Their Basic ("lifeline") Package is still unencrypted.

I forgot about that lifeline stuff. Isn't it like $10 or 15 for only the locals? You can probably get more channels OTA for free. But I wouldn't give those greedy underhanded crooks at Comcrap one thin red penny. I'd rather have zero TV than drink their kool aid again.
post #4415 of 4536 Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

RTV is still available on WTOV 9-2.

Thanks JK77 I'll have to check them out. I receive WTOV-9 24-7 really good. Does any know if WJAC-TV 6 still has RTV? I also receive them great all year round, but have been too lazy to spin my rotor in that direction.
post #4416 of 4536 Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
no they are ME-TV
post #4417 of 4536 Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgenard View Post

I forgot about that lifeline stuff. Isn't it like $10 or 15 for only the locals? You can probably get more channels OTA for free. But I wouldn't give those greedy underhanded crooks at Comcrap one thin red penny. I'd rather have zero TV than drink their kool aid again.

I don't know what it costs separately as I have their cheapest Internet plan and the ClearQAM come along for the ride. It is the locals plus a few others like WGN America, TV Guide Network. It is nice to get a localized Weather Channel and WeatherScan which is not available on DIRECTV, but also WJAC (albeit in SD) which I lost two years ago.
post #4418 of 4536 Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Unfortunately the Lifeline program costs $19.99 per month. This gives you just basic channels. Seems a little costly for really nothing.

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?
post #4419 of 4536 Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji15301 View Post

Unfortunately the Lifeline program costs $19.99 per month. This gives you just basic channels. Seems a little costly for really nothing.

240 a year for locals and a few more so so channels? Give me a break. Also, don't you have to qualify for that (i.e. low income)? It's nifty if it comes along free with internet like JK says. I used to have one of their internet & TV packages and would have dropped the TV portion if I knew that. Kinda bums me out to hear that lol.
post #4420 of 4536 Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM

hey i got a question. i get wkbn and wneo only at night and not sure why,was hoping someone would have the answer.I know they are further away but it got me puzzled
post #4421 of 4536 Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 AM

Yeah last night was definitely quirky. I managed to rake in WKBN with a solid signal and I never even knew it existed. I think high humidity (it was solid fog around here) during night is ideal for OTA reception.
post #4422 of 4536 Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
During the daytime we are bombarded with a ton of energy from the sun. Some of that is in the right frequency to interfere with various forms of transmissions/broadcasts. Basically, it raises the noise floor for radio communication. The sun also goes through cycles, some on the order of months and some that have a period of years. The sunspot cycle is 11 years and is due to peak in 2012. The peak in 2001 cause massive radio blackouts.
post #4423 of 4536 Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM

ty to both of you for your responses.
post #4424 of 4536 Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Yeah last night was definitely quirky. I managed to rake in WKBN with a solid signal and I never even knew it existed. I think high humidity (it was solid fog around here) during night is ideal for OTA reception.

Tropo ducting helps carry UHF signals long distances, and fog is usually a tip off to the temperature inversion creating said duct.

A few weeks back there was a tropo duct that overloaded my HTPC with channels from Cleveland.
post #4425 of 4536 Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Tropo ducting helps carry UHF signals long distances, and fog is usually a tip off to the temperature inversion creating said duct.

A few weeks back there was a tropo duct that overloaded my HTPC with channels from Cleveland.

Ducting? I've never heard of a phenomenon described as such. I would have paid more attention in earth science if I had only known it would help me get more free TV one day
post #4426 of 4536 Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html Here is the place to check for Tropo's ..keep it on your list !

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #4427 of 4536 Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM

I noticed today they had now a 4th subchannel,but dont know what they are doing with it.They are currently showing programming from the main channel on it
post #4428 of 4536 Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM

WPCB is deleted from my lineup so I don't exactly keep up with them. Who watches these religious stations? I know plenty of super religious people and not a single one of them watches church on TV.
post #4429 of 4536 Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
WPCB is deleted from my lineup so I don't exactly keep up with them. Who watches these religious stations? I know plenty of super religious people and not a single one of them watches church on TV.
well someone should tell dish network that i got 10 different freaking religious channels on it directv isnt probably much better.so in other words some people must watch it or it wouldnt be in a regular package.
post #4430 of 4536 Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

I think it's pretty sad that about 95% of all low power/independent stations in the whole country today are religious. The only thing I can figure is that they are owned by rich televangelists and other powerful members of the Christian community. They are just blowing their money to "spread the good word". I have NEVER seen any advertising on these stations. They can't be publicly funded, can they?
post #4431 of 4536 Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooviebaby View Post

well someone should tell dish network that i got 10 different freaking religious channels on it directv isnt probably much better.so in other words some people must watch it or it wouldnt be in a regular package.

Thank them because religious and home shopping channels pay DISH and DIRECTV for their carriage, otherwise their packages would cost even more.
post #4432 of 4536 Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 PM

It makes perfect sense for shopping channels to pay the cableco's considering its essentially 100% advertising. But religion? You'd think that any religious establishment would DISCOURAGE people getting their sermons and conversations of christian beliefs for free at home instead of forking over $10 at church on Sunday.
post #4433 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I live north east of town, about 25 miles north east.. i decided to give getting HD OTA reception a shot at my house..

I first tried http://antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx to get an idea of what to expect..

If you enter my address/area, it reveals 7 total stations, and WTAE-DT is not one of them.

If i could get WTAE-DT i'd be set.. this would cover the major networks.

At this point i tried an HD antenna, the RCA111 (non-amplified).. i tried various locations and spots.. and angles.. and only 1 position gave me all 7 that are on this list.

If this website doesnt list WTAE as being possible.. does this mean that no matter what Antenna i use, whether indoor or outdoor, ill never get that station?

I hate to through say $300 into an outdoor antenna setup (with install fees) to find that i'm no better off.

Thanks in advance

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #4434 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Try using TVFool.com instead of Antennaweb. Antennaweb is very conservative, often failing to show channels which should be available. Post the bolded link that TVFool provides and then we'll be able to tell you whether WTAE is feasible.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4435 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Try using TVFool.com instead of Antennaweb. Antennaweb is very conservative, often failing to show channels which should be available. Post the bolded link that TVFool provides and then we'll be able to tell you whether WTAE is feasible.

- Trip

I tried it first by zip and using 6 foot above ground to start (in house 6 feet above etc):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e4760d91fd087

It does list the station though. Although with a roof mounted solution of some type. I was also hoping if it had to be roof to not have to turn the antenna.

post #4436 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, WTAE has two transmitters, the main one on 51, and a low-power one on the WQED tower on 22. As long as you're not worried about WPCB, I think a single high-VHF and UHF antenna aimed at the WQED tower would work for you.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4437 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, WTAE has two transmitters, the main one on 51, and a low-power one on the WQED tower on 22. As long as you're not worried about WPCB, I think a single high-VHF and UHF antenna aimed at the WQED tower would work for you.

- Trip

By single high-vhf and uhf, do you mean one mounted up on the roof somewhere, aimed in that general direction?

Any ideas what is considered a good one to buy, but not super expensive? (i have never bought one before or looked into it). I've seen some on amazon though, not sure on the effectiveness of each type. Also, who do most people call to do these types of installs, once you get the antenna?

post #4438 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll let someone in your area make a referral with regard to an antenna installer, as I'm not familiar with installers in Pittsburgh.

And yes, I mean a single antenna aimed in that direction. I've never used one personally, but the folks in the Cleveland thread like the HBU33, which is available at Radio Shack and thus could be returned if it doesn't work for you. Additionally, you could return it and then buy online for less even if it does work for you.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4439 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Trip

By single high-vhf and uhf, do you mean one mounted up on the roof somewhere, aimed in that general direction?

Any ideas what is considered a good one to buy, but not super expensive? (i have never bought one before or looked into it). I've seen some on amazon though, not sure on the effectiveness of each type.

post #4440 of 4536 Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll let someone in your area make a referral with regard to an antenna installer, as I'm not familiar with installers in Pittsburgh.

And yes, I mean a single antenna aimed in that direction. I've never used one personally, but the folks in the Cleveland thread like the HBU33, which is available at Radio Shack and thus could be returned if it doesn't work for you. Additionally, you could return it and then buy online for less even if it does work for you.

- Trip

Wow, i am really kicking myself for taking down the antenna from about 6 years ago when i moved in.. it looked very similar to that one.. though i think the coax would have needed changed.

What about something like this.. its about $25 and slightly more modern looking, though i really dont care as long as it works http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control...917510&sr=1-18 Does amplified vs non amplified matter?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page