Yes, overall the game was a good production. It will be hard to go back to watching the Stillers in SD. I'd even put up with Pompeani and Edmund Nelson every game if I could see it this way. I watched on Comcast.
- Audio: Although 5.1, it was very odd to have the announcers' voices coming out of the surround speakers. I would much prefer them to be anchored up front with the surrounds just supplying ambient crowd noise.
- Volume: Wow, what a big difference between the game volume (low) and commercials (much louder). I had to adjust all the time, and ended up just hitting "mute" when they went to commercial. Then switching to the other game on ESPN-HD, their volume is really loud. A huge difference from channel to channel on these HD channels on Comcast. I wish they would level out the baseline volume a bit.
- Picture: seemed to be a tad dark (e.g., compared to ESPN-HD) but pretty detailed and acceptable. Maybe the lighting at Heinz isn't as bright as in Tennessee? There were a handful of video glitches (a few brief freeze-ups, pixelizations on replays, etc.), but nothing too bad or persistent. The transitions coming in and out of commercials were a bit jarring. They need to smooth that out for sure.
- Live? Not quite. Switching to the analog broadcast it was apparent that the HD feed was delayed by about 2 seconds. I wonder if this was true OTA or just on Comcast. Not a big deal if you only watch the HD game and don't turn the sound down to listen to Myron. Or if somebody in another room is watching the SD broadcast (why would they?) and starts yelling before you see the play happen.
- The Game: Some things went better this time around, but this team has a long way to go yet. Maddox was mostly out-of-sync and off the mark, but did get a little better later. I don't care what the "rule" says, that Randle El catch should have been a TD. Who cares if the ball slightly bobbles after he hits the ground (and I thought the ground can't cause a fumble - he already had possession for sure)? That's just a bad rule and a bad ruling. I know it's preseason and therefore expect it to be a bit sloppy, but the officials really wanted to get their mugs on camera a lot. Way too many penalties being called on both sides. Veron Haynes looks really good. Fu and his constant injuries is really wearing thin. Plex needs to toughen up and make more of the difficult catches. The defense continues to frustrate with their frequent inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. We need a much better pass rush than I've seen so far.