Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 4538 Old 08-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, overall the game was a good production. It will be hard to go back to watching the Stillers in SD. I'd even put up with Pompeani and Edmund Nelson every game if I could see it this way. I watched on Comcast.

Comments:

- Audio: Although 5.1, it was very odd to have the announcers' voices coming out of the surround speakers. I would much prefer them to be anchored up front with the surrounds just supplying ambient crowd noise.

- Volume: Wow, what a big difference between the game volume (low) and commercials (much louder). I had to adjust all the time, and ended up just hitting "mute" when they went to commercial. Then switching to the other game on ESPN-HD, their volume is really loud. A huge difference from channel to channel on these HD channels on Comcast. I wish they would level out the baseline volume a bit.

- Picture: seemed to be a tad dark (e.g., compared to ESPN-HD) but pretty detailed and acceptable. Maybe the lighting at Heinz isn't as bright as in Tennessee? There were a handful of video glitches (a few brief freeze-ups, pixelizations on replays, etc.), but nothing too bad or persistent. The transitions coming in and out of commercials were a bit jarring. They need to smooth that out for sure.

- Live? Not quite. Switching to the analog broadcast it was apparent that the HD feed was delayed by about 2 seconds. I wonder if this was true OTA or just on Comcast. Not a big deal if you only watch the HD game and don't turn the sound down to listen to Myron. Or if somebody in another room is watching the SD broadcast (why would they?) and starts yelling before you see the play happen.

- The Game: Some things went better this time around, but this team has a long way to go yet. Maddox was mostly out-of-sync and off the mark, but did get a little better later. I don't care what the "rule" says, that Randle El catch should have been a TD. Who cares if the ball slightly bobbles after he hits the ground (and I thought the ground can't cause a fumble - he already had possession for sure)? That's just a bad rule and a bad ruling. I know it's preseason and therefore expect it to be a bit sloppy, but the officials really wanted to get their mugs on camera a lot. Way too many penalties being called on both sides. Veron Haynes looks really good. Fu and his constant injuries is really wearing thin. Plex needs to toughen up and make more of the difficult catches. The defense continues to frustrate with their frequent inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. We need a much better pass rush than I've seen so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hondo21
- Audio: Although 5.1, it was very odd to have the announcers' voices coming out of the surround speakers. I would much prefer them to be anchored up front with the surrounds just supplying ambient crowd noise.

Quote:

Originally posted by agtiny
The audio could have been better (it wasn't really 5.1), and the switch to commercials wasn't very smooth, but I really have no other complaints. .

This is the same gimmicky DD5.1 we got for the Grammy's. I called KDKA after the Grammy's to complain & they told me that they were just passing what the networks sent along, meanwhile a lot of other posters from other city's were praising the sound that night. KDKA is synthesizing this audio somehow & it is a major disappointment because they don't know what they are doing to their own sound. I will attempt to call & explain to them that the announcers voices should not come out of the surrounds or the front R & L speakers for that matter. The front situation is debatable I realize but not the surrounds.

One other comment...ESPN's game looked superior to our game IMO. Look out 1080i, 720p is coming to get you.
post #423 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Volume: Wow, what a big difference between the game volume (low) and commercials (much louder).

Hondo, the audio OTA was the same way (along with the horrible HD -> SD -> HD switching to and from commercials).

Still something of an historic event though, isn't it. Locally generated HD

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
post #424 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 10:52 AM

it did look great and a channel jump back and forth with the epsnhd game showed how horrifying espn/abc's 780 excuse for hdtv is

it was like looking at something with glasses on (cbs) and glasses off (espn)...... i kept asking people whats wrong/different between these pictures as i jumped back and forth....

everybody got it right........ the sea of dancing grass....... same thing that is so noticeable/annoying with espns sunday night baseball games versus hdnets games from last year...... the freaking grass isnt stable..... on hdnet baseball like on this steeler cbs/kdka game the grass is solid and not waving around like a bad mpeg...... on espns baseball and football its like a dancing sea of artifacts.....

even people who don't ussually notice anything about a picture spotted the huge difference right away in an a/b of the kdka versus espn hd games last night....

once people really get to see the cbs games this year i don't see how espn/abc will be able to hang onto this horrifying excuse for hdtv....... even the nearly blind will wonder what the f once they get taste of the real 1080.....
post #425 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 04:11 PM

I'm a Pittsburgh resident and was hoping some of you may be able to answer a few of my questions.

I bought an HDTV set last year but never shelled out the extra $500 for the HDTV decoder. I currently have Direct TV without hdtv.

Comcast is offering a free motorola HDTV reciever if I switch. They also offer to buy my dish back which will lower my bill to around $48 a month for cable. This will include two regular Digital Recievers and a HD reciever for my hdtv. I'll get the HBO's and Encore's with that package too.

I like my Direct TV, but don't want to spend the $500 for one of their recievers. I called them to ask what they could do for me and they offered a $125 credit if I buy a HD Reciever.

On paper, Comcast seems like the way to go, but I've had problems with them in the past. They were charging me over $60 a month for internet access!!!

Is comcast HD for real? Is the motorola box they are offering any good? Can I recieve OTA stations with this box too or will I have to buy a different one?

Thanks for any input. I'm glad I found this board. There's a wealth of information here.
post #426 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

bochamps -- I just signed up for Comcast last week, and haven't had any satellite/OTA HD experience, so I'm not much help. But you may want to check out the Motorola 5100 thread in the HDTV hardware forum for info on the box (including link to FAQ). It will NOT get HD OTA, only cable.

I'm pretty sure that you'd need a new dish (unless you already have the elliptical one) to get the HD channels on DirecTV, in addition to that HD receiver.
post #427 of 4538 Old 08-17-2003, 08:41 PM

Bochamps, try This Thread it has a lot of good info.
post #428 of 4538 Old 08-18-2003, 05:25 PM

Are any of you guys checking out the football game 8-18 on ABC? It's 5.1 sound but my back speakers are quiet. I'm using a Dish 6000 OTA. Anyone actually getting 5.1 DD?

Gary
post #429 of 4538 Old 08-18-2003, 05:35 PM

I just got my OTA with my 6000 hooked up a couple hours ago and I am watching the game now and am getting a little sound from my rear speakers. It sounds like 5.1 to me. I can't get any sound from KDKA at all. I just got my adapter for the 6000 today and I am using small rabbit ears for reception. I ordered a Channel Master and it should be here in a couple days. I am getting some good readings on some channels so far. I don't know why I am getting no sound from KDKA anymore. I was getting it until they switched to their HD programs.
post #430 of 4538 Old 08-18-2003, 05:39 PM

Ok thanks for the info. I cranked my rear speakers up all the way and I hear a little sound but not much. Usually only when the special effect graphics appear and disappear. KDKA's audio is out for sure. So it's not your set up.

Gary
post #431 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 05:46 AM

Hello everyone. I am a new member, I have been scanning your posts for a few days, and have learned quite alot. Being from Pittsburgh area and a Sports fan, I am interested in getting a little help, if you would be so kind.

I just purchased a Zenith SAT520 HD Receiver with DirecTV to compliment my Hitachi 57SWX20B Monitor. The HD channels are great, but like many my dilemma is how to best receive the local HD Channels.

I live in Moon Twp, high elevation. approximately 20 miles from downtown. Should I go with OTA or Comcast Cable. I really don't mind paying for what I want as long as it is of good quality.

I presently have Comcast standard cable (Haven't upgraded to digital). Is it possible to go to a low tier digital, and get the HD locals? Will I need to get there HD Box? Do you have to buy it, or do they charge you a monthly fee?

How about OTA, with a quality antenna would I be able to get a quality signal, I know I've read that ABC (WTAE) is not that strong, but even with a small indoor antenna I have been able to pull in the Youngstown affilliate.

I am sorry this is so lengthy, I will keep shorter in the future, but just wanted to introduce myself and identify my situation.

Thanking you in advance for any advice you could render
post #432 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 06:54 AM

Hi Jack,

Welcome. I'm new to HDTV as well (almost 2 months), and can give you some of my experience with OTA. I live in Avalon, PA and purchased the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna from Best Buy. I've had excellent results, and I'm able to pick up all the local stations with a signal strength of 77 -100 including WTAE (which is a 77). Originally I had the antenna on my 1st level of my house and was still able to receive all of the OTA channels but with Channel 4 I had to point the antenna to a different location. I recently moved my Zenith SS up in my attic (3rd floor) and I'm able to get everything without any problems. I bought an amp from Radio Shack, but ended up not having to use it.

Moon Twp isn't that far away from my location so hopefully you can get most of the stations without having to foot the bill for HD channels via Comcast. I'm using the Toshiba T160 DirecTV receiver. It integrates the local OTA channels with the regular DirecTV guide. If you read previous posts on this thread (which was very helpful for me) you'll notice that other people are using different antennas (Radio Shack Dbl Bow tie), Channelmaster, etc. I'd suggest going to www.antennaweb.org and key in your address. You can see a map based upon your address of the direction that your antenna should point toward. I found this map very useful during my initial setup. Everyone has different results from different locations and antennas so what may work for someone else may not work for you. Personally, I think the Zenith SS is a good start. If it doesn't work you can take it back, and you have a best buy close by in Robinson Twp.

Good luck, and please let us know how you made out with the solution you choose.

Regards,

Mark
post #433 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 06:57 AM

Greetings,

Anyone else see some dropouts with WTAE's OTA broadcast? I just want to make sure it wasn't on my end. I'm running a Samsung T160 D* receiver. BTW does everyone else notice a "click/pop" when WTAE switches to the HDTV feed?
post #434 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 07:06 AM

Thanks Mark.

I appreciate the info, sounds like a solid solution to me, at least you don't have to mortgage the house to try it, if it doesn't work, then I will try something else.

Thanks again,

Jack
post #435 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Last night's game had minor dropouts as well as a loss of HD for about 30 seconds. Yes, I also hear something when the HD kicks in @ the local level.
post #436 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jack schroeder
Thanks Mark.

I appreciate the info, sounds like a solid solution to me, at least you don't have to mortgage the house to try it, if it doesn't work, then I will try something else.

Thanks again,

Jack

No Problem. If the Zenith SS doesn't work, I'd suggest looking through the posts for the Channelmaster antenna. Many people have had success with that antenna. Of course it's much bigger than the Zenith but if you have room in your attic you maybe able to pull in better signal strength.

Let me know how you make out. Seeing Monday Night Football in HDTV will make it worth the effort.
post #437 of 4538 Old 08-19-2003, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kaa1954
Last night's game had minor dropouts as well as a loss of HD for about 30 seconds. Yes, I also hear something when the HD kicks in @ the local level.

Thanks Kent. I'm glad it wasn't on my end. The previous MNF game didn't have the amount of dropouts as last night. I must have missed the 30 second loss of HD. I definitely am impressed with the HD quality though.
post #438 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 04:47 AM

After receiving some great advice from Mark, I stopped last night after work and picked up the Zenith Silver Sensor. I went home and connected it to my SAT520 (In the basement where I have my gameroom and TV). Did a scan of the digital stations, and I couldn't believe the results. After just a few minutes of adjusting the antenna, I was able to pick up all channels including ABC (WTAE). My wife and I just stood there in disbelief at the beautiful display we were watching.

I still can't beleive that such a small investment could give me the total viewability that I currently have. LIFE IS GOOD IN MOON TWP.

I must again thank Mark, and everyone who has posted. I have found this thread to be a most valuable asset. I hope you all don't mind if I stick around for awhile and become a part of the community.

THANK YOU
post #439 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

That's a keeper!
post #440 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 08:15 AM

i am having second thoughts... am i crazy to add digital box for comcast to get wtae hd? ( i currently have d* would have to let denon 3803 switch the hd to the 36xbr400 and really pile high the equipment stack.....

I can sometimes find it ota but not recently....
post #441 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

If you've got no other options like a bigger antenna or something, then I say it's worth it. ABC has a ton of HD programming, not to mention Monday Night Football!
post #442 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 AM

again nobody seems to reply when i ask this.... but is wtae ever going to go back up to signal power that they had most all of last year?

the first 6 months or so i had hd (like july to february this past year) wtae was great got high signal with the silver sensor if i put the antenna in the right spot...

for the past 6 months or so i am lucky to get a 4 or 5 signal and definately no picture... its driving me nuts with mnf coming up

has anyone heard anything about why they lowered thier signal so much?? and if its permanent....?
post #443 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

I think they've always had a weak signal. I was OTA from October 2001 to May 2003 and WTAE was always the same signal strength for me. I could get 35-40 with my antenna and 50-60 with a Radio Shack amp on the line.
post #444 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jack schroeder
After receiving some great advice from Mark, I stopped last night after work and picked up the Zenith Silver Sensor. I went home and connected it to my SAT520 (In the basement where I have my gameroom and TV). Did a scan of the digital stations, and I couldn't believe the results. After just a few minutes of adjusting the antenna, I was able to pick up all channels including ABC (WTAE). My wife and I just stood there in disbelief at the beautiful display we were watching.

I still can't beleive that such a small investment could give me the total viewability that I currently have. LIFE IS GOOD IN MOON TWP.

I must again thank Mark, and everyone who has posted. I have found this thread to be a most valuable asset. I hope you all don't mind if I stick around for awhile and become a part of the community.

THANK YOU

Welcome. Glad it worked out for you! Wait until you see Monday Night Football. It will blow your mind. Only bad thing is you get disappointed when things aren't in HD.
post #445 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 02:10 PM

thier signal has always been the weakest.... had to go out and get the zenith silver antenna to get it to come in... but this time last year (from like i said july to maybe february?) i got a perfect singal.... depending on how much i wanted to tweak it... 70's 80's or higher....

its like i said.... same antenna same places i cnt get it to bump over 3 or 4 or 5

something is very very different with thier signal...... no idea why ?

was hoping someone could shed some light.... (i mean are they in bed with comcast or something?) its weird.....
post #446 of 4538 Old 08-20-2003, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No joke....trees affect the signal...i can get WTAE when there are leaves on the trees, but no signal when there are not.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #447 of 4538 Old 08-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Currently I an unable to pick up 38, 42 & 43 because of the trees being full of leaves. It starts every year around May. Come the end of September, I'll be back in business.

Mark, Nice job with the game on Saturday.
post #448 of 4538 Old 08-21-2003, 08:28 AM

i've ruled out trees and weather as it was this time exactly last year that it came in perfect
post #449 of 4538 Old 08-21-2003, 08:28 AM

i've ruled out trees and weather as it was this time exactly last year that it came in perfect
post #450 of 4538 Old 08-22-2003, 08:29 AM

Greetings,

Does WPGH-DT show any of the games in Fox Widescreen? If not, is there a particular reason why? It sucks to see the game in 4:3 480i, after seeing the CBS, ESPNHD, and ABC feeds in HDTV. At least you would think we could see the Fox games in Widescreen.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page