Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 4539 Old 09-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I the only one in Pittsburgh having problems with KDKA OTA having a video stuttering problem?

I have an RCA DTC-100 and posted about this problem this past April during the Masters. Kent, I believe, spoke to someone at KDKA who verified the problem and a fix was supposed to be on the way.

Does anybody know if this was "fixed" by KDKA?

Anyone else with a DTC-100 having the same problem?

I get other OTA and DirecTv HD without any stuttering of the video BTW.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 4539 Old 09-14-2003, 04:38 PM

Jantzen,

I have a DTC-100 and noticed the small freezes on this afternoons HD football game. It's the first I have noticed it though. Just assumed that is was a "CBS" glitch.

Bryan27,

I have noticed that the audio seems to take for ever to come in on WPCB-DT, but it eventually will come on for me.

--Clint--
post #483 of 4539 Old 09-14-2003, 06:34 PM

Clint,

I also noticed it during some of the US Open coverage - though the video "hiccups" seemed worse during the football game today.

I didn't see anybody complaining about any video skipping problems in the main "CBS NFL" thread in the programming forum so I don't think it was a CBS problem - maybe a KDKA one???

Jantzen
post #484 of 4539 Old 09-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

I saw a bit of stutter during the first few minutes of the Eagles game on KDKA via cable... so it's not your receiver.
post #485 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

I talked to George again at KD a couple of weeks ago about this unfixed "hitch" in the video. They are aware of what causes it. It is the station "bug" in the corner causing the conflict with the video. They experimented with turning the "bug" off & on during the Comcast HD game which did help. I guess money ultimately will solve the problem. (Duh)

Calling the station to complain may speed things up since KD is under the impression that there just aren't many viewers.

I watched yesterday's game on NFLST on DirecTV & I can attest to some dropouts but only occasionally.
post #486 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 AM

Is there a particular phone number to call at KDKA to complain about this problem? Is George the person to talk to over there or someone else?

Thanks.
post #487 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Call the main station number & ask for Master Control....Talk to an engineer if possible....George is a go-between.
post #488 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 07:28 AM

Speaking of "bugs" has anyone noticed the really bad slide WPXI puts up sometimes for the hourly ID and gets stuck there occasionally. This bug really needs to be cleaned up it has 3 black horizontal lines that aren't supposed to be there and is really bright. When I see it stuck there I watch something else.

Is it really necessary to have 3 ID bugs on the screen?
post #489 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey bryan27...that post you made on WTAE was excellent and informative. Thanks...and insofar as a station without sound...yes, WPCB, CH 50 offers sight but no sound out here in Cranberry.
post #490 of 4539 Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 PM

Thank's at least I know it's not my equipment. Sometimes I'll watch WPCB when there is a Fishing or Cooking show on.

I have completed new DTV Coverage Maps. I guess this is now Version 3.0 Instead of just posting random coverage maps I created a site for them. Also instead of posting coverage of STAs (which are constantly changing), CPs, LICs, etc... I just made maps of stations that are Licensed or have a Construction Permit to Maximized Facilities. For instance instead of a coverage map of WCWB's STA and CP the map only shows the CP, or in the case of KDKA which is licensed for around 700Kw the map only shows their CP for 1000Kw (their Maximized Facilities).

The maps were drawn using the F(50/90) Noise Limited DTV Contour. The contours I previously used were good for when we didn't know much about DTV, but things have advanced and the new maps are more accurate. Since all the stations are UHF the 41dBu signal level was used.

Currently Pittsburgh, Wheeling/Steubenville, and Youngstown are up. Johnstown/Altoona maps are being worked on. Later I may add Erie and Clarksburg/Weston which will cover every station in the region that may be remotely receivable 90% of the time.

Have Fun

http://wvjw.info/dtv/
post #491 of 4539 Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Very much appreciated Bryan. Thanks.
post #492 of 4539 Old 09-16-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bryan27
Some info:

After WTOV put up their new tower and left the DTV operation on a piece of the old tower I can no longer receive them. WTRF is experimenting with their signal again. Good thing is I receive them all the time now. Bad thing is they have stopped HD broadcasts, convert analog to SD, and compress the signal so much that the digiatl artifacting is so bad to make it unwatchable. Rumor has it that WTRF's owners will multicast a West Virginia News Channel on their digital stations. [/b]

Bryan...again you only have part of the information...WTOV moved the digital antenna from the old tower to the new tower...it was off the air for a couple of days while the move was happening, but the old tower is down and gone..it is still not at the proper height as we are still waiting for the canadians to give permission..plus there is a new analog transmitter and it and the antenna are both installed and up to full power.

if you have any questions ask and you can get correct information...
post #493 of 4539 Old 09-16-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm thinkin' steubtv is a wee bit sensitive here...

Ya think?

PS Keep in mind folks that a bb forum of this or any kind is ONE DIMENSIONAL, with respect to communication. We're all in this together for the common good of HD...thanks! And thanks to all of you for the significant help you've been to me personally over the course of the past two years...
post #494 of 4539 Old 09-16-2003, 02:08 PM

Steubtv,

Two weeks ago the digital was still on the old tower. The bottom 150' of the old tower was still there with the digital antenna on it. I assumed it hadn't been moved to the old tower yet since I still couldn't receive the digital signal when the new tower went up.

Unless the 150' section of old tower I saw at the site two weeks ago with the digital antenna on it wasn't really there.

I know all about the new analog antenna and transmitter. I can't receive the analog anyway. However, it still doesn't explain the fact that I saw with my own eyes the digital antenna on 150' of old tower two weeks ago and since the new tower went up I can no longer receive the digital signal. It doesn't matter anyway I'll just watch WPXI.
post #495 of 4539 Old 09-17-2003, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

on another note....

why am i not surprised that here it is september 17th and still we don't have the inhd channels on comcast? aaargh, why does it seem like pittsburgh is always the exception to the rule....

dan

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #496 of 4539 Old 09-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed audio problems on KDKA starting yesterday? The audio cuts out for a split-second or so every 5 minutes.
post #497 of 4539 Old 09-23-2003, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've noticed it.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
post #498 of 4539 Old 09-24-2003, 12:03 PM

Didn't notice any audio dropouts on KDKA last night, but I sure wish they'd get a handle on their Dolby Digital issues. They seem determined to flip the 5.1 switch (or whatever) when the network is not feeding 5.1 audio. They turn on 5.1. when the HD feed(s) start and turn it off before going into local news. But absolultely nothing comes out of the center speaker. *sigh* A lot earlier this summer I remember talking to a KD engineer who wasn't too receptive to the idea that they might not being doing their audio correctly. Oh well, I guess we're set for when CBS actually does start doing 5.1. Just wish KD's engineers would talk to the engineers at WTAE ... they've been doing 5.1. audio correctly for a long time now.
post #499 of 4539 Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 PM

I noticed it last night but not every 5 minutes. Maybe every 10-15 minutes.
post #500 of 4539 Old 10-17-2003, 07:31 PM

When I try to watch WTAE OTA in HD I am getting a delay in the sound. I never noticed this before. Anyone else have this problem. I am getting over 80% on all the local stations and the only one with the delay it WTAE.
post #501 of 4539 Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

WTAE or ABC has had delay problems for years. Once in a while it will be correct but not that often.
post #502 of 4539 Old 10-19-2003, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

WTAE has definitely got problems. In addition to their sync issues (which seem to never get better but sometimes get worse), they also have some sort of "focus" issue going on with the video. I notice this when I watch Monday Night Football-- The whole image (graphics included) appears to go "fuzzy" or "out of focus" every few minutes, and then slowly correct itself over the course of about five to ten seconds. It's really, really annoying. I mentioned this issue on another board and someone responded that it was a problem ABC was having with all of its affiliates but issued a correction for, which should have been implemented months ago. Furthermore, there's just no excuse for having such obnoxious sync problems. Is there an engineering department email address or phone number we can use to annoy them about this until they fix it?

Dan

"Shoot it."
post #503 of 4539 Old 10-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I just came on here to complain about WTAE sound delay issues, but see its already been discussed. Was trying to watch Karen Sisco last night and the sound was delayed by what seemed a full second. Felt like I was watching a dubbed kung-fu movie.
post #504 of 4539 Old 10-30-2003, 07:17 AM

Hello,
This might be OT, so I apologize in advance, however, I'm trying to find out if the issue is station-related, or setup-related.
I just installed an MDP-120 (MyHD) card. I live in Seven Fields (a tad north of Cranberry), and with a Radio Shack indoor antenna, I can get PXI, KDKA, and PGH just fine. QED signal is weak (reported about 25% at best). It comes in fine when I view in a windowed mode on my PC, but freezes up when I put it in full screen. I think this is most likely setup-related. However, my main question is, given my antenna setup and location, is it reasonable to expect to get QED, if I can get the others? Based on the (very helpful) signal contours that were posted here, I would expect to receive it at high strength.

I'm going to put in an attic antenna this weekend, so hopefully this will all be moot soon. But, thanks for any info or insights in advance...

Parag Batavia
post #505 of 4539 Old 10-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to get WQED in Cranberry at 90% using an indoor antenna in a window. Granted I had a great location back then and was able to get WTAE as well... An attic antenna should help a lot.
post #506 of 4539 Old 10-30-2003, 08:30 AM

Thanks much for the info...

Right now, I've got a ~15dB amplified indoor antenna from RS... Any chance that a silver sensor, or other indoor antenna will perform better? (BestBuy web site has one that they claim is 45dB??) Or should I just bite the bullet and put in the attic antenna?

Hoping to avoid snaking cables this weekend,
Parag
post #507 of 4539 Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Silver Sensor is supposed to be good but I've never used one, and I had good results with an Xium antenna. I also had a Radio Shack signal amp on the line which enabled me to get WTAE without any breakups (I can't find the link to it right now). If you notice I'm speaking in past tense because all of this was at my old apartment with a clear path to the southeast and an east-facing window where my antenna was mounted. My new house has aluminum siding and a massive tree in the front yard blocking anything south-south-east. I know I'm only in for a huge headache if I try to install a rooftop antenna, so Armstrong cable HD was the right solution for me.

It's so hard to know what will work because everyone's location is different. It is basically a game of trial and error finding what works and in what part of your house. Just be sure to save all your receipts for stuff that ends up not working.
post #508 of 4539 Old 10-31-2003, 04:34 PM

I noticed they have a signal up tonight on 46-3 and 46-4.
post #509 of 4539 Old 11-02-2003, 01:12 PM

titantv.com said that the steeler's / seahawks game in KDKA was supposed to be in HDTV (OTA). Looks like it isn't... Any idea why? Or am I the only one not getting it in HD?

Parag
post #510 of 4539 Old 11-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

This week's CBS HD game was the Colts @ Dolphins. Next time we'll see the Steelers in HD is 11/17 on MNF.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page