Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4536 Old 11-25-2003, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is pretty clear they just have alot about ESPN HD, HDNET, HDNET MOVIES, they also said they will be adding more soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4536 Old 11-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Yep I got it too:
Quote:

As of December 1st, HDNet and HDNet Movies will combine with ESPNHD in our new HD Advantage package...

The cost for the HD Advantage package will ultimately be $9.95 per month. However we are making it available to you for only $5.00 per month until April 1, 2004. Sign up for the HD Advantage by 12/31/03 and you will automatically be entered for a chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii to join ESPN at the biggest football all-star game of the season! Plus, Armstrong will send you a $25 Gift Certificate to the ESPN.com Team Store.

...Call 1-877-277-5711...

Unless we hear from you, ESPNHD, HDNet and HDNet Movies will not be available to your home after November 30, 2003. All other HD services will continue to be available, just as they are today.

So eventually we will be paying $15/mo I guess, but for a few months it will only be $10. It isn't clear what's happening to the existing $5 charge so I will ask when I call them tomorrow.
post #543 of 4536 Old 11-25-2003, 04:11 PM

We are not paying $15 we are paying $10.
post #544 of 4536 Old 11-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

I will ask, but from what I can tell it will be $5 for the box + local HD, then $9.95 on top of that for ESPN/HDNets, and then premium HD is extra of course.
post #545 of 4536 Old 11-26-2003, 03:21 PM

Asking does not do anything when they are worthless questions. Companies HATE that. Read what it says. There is $5 for the BOX and then $5 for the HD pack until 4/1/04. PLUS I ORDERED IT TODAY!!!! They said discovery costs $10 a MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So they are going back to ask them about it again to get it cheaper.
post #546 of 4536 Old 11-26-2003, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by agtiny
I will ask, but from what I can tell it will be $5 for the box + local HD, then $9.95 on top of that for ESPN/HDNets, and then premium HD is extra of course.

And... If you mean HBO HDTV and Showtime HDTV that is free, you have to be a HBO or Showtime subscriber.
post #547 of 4536 Old 11-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

OK we're on the same page... it's $10 until 4/1, after that it will be $15. That's all I was saying.
post #548 of 4536 Old 11-26-2003, 03:28 PM

Yes, but come to think of it that is APRIL 2004. By then there will be most likley more channels: today we are missing
In-HD 1
In-HD 2
Discovery HD
Few others that are not big ones.
post #549 of 4536 Old 11-27-2003, 01:54 PM

Did anyone else lose their off air signal for KDKA-DT (2-1) around 4:10 pm today during the start of the Dallas Miami football game?
post #550 of 4536 Old 11-27-2003, 02:49 PM
kkc

Sure did!! What a disappointment...I had some relatives over to watch the game and no HD. Hope that its not an equipment failure that we keep them off the air

Kevin
post #551 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I sent agtiny a PM on this but am hoping for info from others as well. Its been quite a while since I've been on the Forum. The last time I was a regular on here, it seemed as though this local thread was taking on more of a focus toward cable rather than HD in general or its association with DirecTV. If I'm wrong, humble apologies, especially to Clisenet who appears easily upset. Oops...guess I'm in for it now, LOL.

Bottom line, I need to know if Armstrong cable is every bit as good as DirecTV in terms of content, quality and sound. The reason being is I'm having a new home built...still in Cranberry...over in Preserve East. If I can avoid a dish, extra wiring, the receivers, rooftop antenna and HOPE the local digital channels come in...well, then that would be great.

I realize I'd have to sell my HD Samsung TS160 reciever (excellent) and DirecTivo (excellent) but, if Armstrong is providing PVR's now and all the same programming as DirecTV then it would be worth it...or would it?

You folks tell me...and thanks in advance for your help.

PS Right now I'm paying like $120 per month for DirecTV which includes their premium choice package, HBO, Showtime and HD bundle of ESPN, Discovery, HDNet. I also continue to enjoy the east/west coast network package. I think I pay like $5 per additional reciever (4, includes Tivo).

So how much would Armstrong be charging me for programming and equipment? I realize I would lose the east/west coast networks and I'd miss those for sure but it would still be worth it if I can just have Armstrong come to the new house, connect it all up and have no rooftop antenna.

Look forward to your help...
post #552 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 04:12 PM

Don't do it. Friends don't let friends get cable.
post #553 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Cable works good for me, even though it is slightly more expensive.

As of December, I am paying $79.86 which includes basic, digital cable, a 2nd digital cable receiver, $5 HD locals, $5 HD Advantage, and HBO. No Showtime yet.

The only channels you will lose will be Discovery-HD and an HDPPV channel. We also don't get NBA-HD or that new NFL channel yet. I suspect we will be seeing Discovery within several months, as $9.95 (HD Advantage fee in April) seems high for only 3 channels. InHD...who knows, but I will take HDNet over that any day.

Quality is excellent of course, there is no extra compression going on like people sometimes see on DirecTV. Quality of analog cable channels (2-70) is poor on my HDTV, but my wife (the only one who really watches them) hasn't complained. Digital cable channels (400+) are equal to or better than DirecTV. Sound is no different than DirecTV: 5.1 where it's available, etc. The Moto 5100 receiver sucks pretty bad though, I would guess all DirecTV receivers are better. HD-PVR is reportedly in the testing phase, but so is HD-Tivo, so I don't think you can make a decision based on this factor yet.

Bottom line I think is really whether or not you can receive WTAE-DT OTA from your new house. If you can, there's no need to change your setup, if not... you'll need to go cable if you want that channel.
post #554 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

First things first...

At present, I rarely get WTAE51 where I live presently on Woodbine Drive, off of Powell. Again, while its been a while since I've been on here, sooner or later, I have to believe WTAE is going to beef up its power and I'd get it.

Point is, at my new address, I don't know if I'd get it though I think my chances would be better then where I'm at now because now, I live in a valley with a big hill in the direction of the Pittsburgh towers. My new home sits on top of a hill...but, one never knows.

Anyhow, I spoke to an Armstrong rep today...not very knowledgeable. She wasn't aware they offered PVR's or the HD channels. I went to their website and was able to see what they do offer. OnDemand looks pretty cool though I've got to believe DirecTV will soon be doing that as well.

In the end, I guess it boils down to this...if the picture/sound quality is essentially the same...and so is the cost, then why would I want to put up another rooftop antenna, bring in additional wires for it, for the dish, the cost of installation, blah, blah, blah. With cable, it sounds like all I do is call them up and they come out and hook everything up...plus, I don't have to be concerned whether WTAE is going to be "on" or "off" for MNF.

Please, someone...give me a good reason why I should stick with my dish. After all, I'm a first generation customer of theres from back in late '93. I left Armstrong then because they only had like 35 channels, no pay per view, crappy service, etc. They may still have the crappy service, that I don't know, but...if they have, essentially, all that DirecTV has to offer, then I just don't know why I should go through all the DirecTV hassle...but, again, please...feel free to give me a different perspective.
post #555 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I know, Armstrong has no OnDemand currently and no plans to offer it any time soon. Their website is pretty terrible and never updated so I'm not sure where you got that info.
post #556 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

When I was speaking to their rep, she said they had InDemand and advised me to go to:

http://www.armstrongonewire.com/channel.asp

It shows InDemand on Channels 600 through 630. So you're saying it's not true then?

Thanks...
post #557 of 4536 Old 11-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

I think InDemand (Pay-Per-View) is a different beast than OnDemand (Video-on-Demand). Unfortunate that all these have such similar names.

Blitzburgh, why don't you just shelve your DirecTV for awhile and try out Armstrong cable for a few months to see how it is. If you don't like it you can go back to satellite and set it up later. Just hold off selling that equipment until you're sure.

I just wish we had Armstrong's channel offerings here in Comcast land. (CBS, mainly)
post #558 of 4536 Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

My friend in Cranberry told me there is no guide info for the HD channels. Is this true? Blitz, I don't know how much something like this would effect your decision.
post #559 of 4536 Old 11-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

There is guide info for all channels except 113 (WQED-HD).
post #560 of 4536 Old 11-29-2003, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Andy....Another early riser or is it night owl?
post #561 of 4536 Old 11-29-2003, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

As always, we can count on each other for sound advice and info. Thanks to one and all.

Hondo21, your suggestion is a good one though, admittedly, I'm the type that likes to do whatever it takes to set it up, right, the first time and then enjoy it. A tinkerer or a project guy I am NOT.

Can't pound a nail in straight ...or at least that's what my wife thinks!
post #562 of 4536 Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 AM

I believe I was the first person to get the HD package from Armstrong and have had it for over a year and a half now.

What I can tell you is that there is guide information for all HD channels except (PBS) which show as "local programming".

I am upset at Armstrong for now offering HDnet, HDnet Movie, and ESPN HD as $5 for a few months then $10 in April. I signed up for it, but ESPN HD is horrible. I'd say 90% if upconverts and HDnet movie is...well...can the guy spring from some decent movies. I only like HDnet. The picture is stunning.

My cousin just got the SIRt-151 and I will be setting that up for him in the next week. I'll see what that goes, but I pay $82 right now for everything except Starz. To me that is starting to get steep.

I keep calling them and telling them all I want are the HD channels but they won't do that for me.

Anyone else have success at just getting HD channels from Armstrong?

//doug
post #563 of 4536 Old 12-01-2003, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here's one for you Doug et al...

Just got a mailer today for Voom HD...anyone else get this yet? Apparently it's a new satellite service and their forte' is HD as they have 39 HD channels with 21 of them their own.

Cost is like $40 per month PLUS you have to buy their equipment which cost close to $800. The equipment includes an HD receiver and an antenna for locals, the latter of which I'm dubious about given all the problems I had with rooftop antenna's and incompetent installers prior to Greg's rescue.

I must admit...it intriques me yet what I really want is picture quality, great sound, variety, expandability and the least amount of hassle. Will I get that from cable?...from DirecTV?...or now Voom?
post #564 of 4536 Old 12-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Check out any of the numerous Voom threads.
post #565 of 4536 Old 12-01-2003, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Caught it after I made the post...lots to rummage through. Seems like VOOm is pretty cool, but...while the HD is nice, the content sounds fairly old...and the sports seems like things most generally wouldn't have a high interest in.

Still, I'll check it out more when time permits. At this point, still seems like I need to go with either cable (can't believe I'm saying that) or DirecTV.

Any other input from others would be appreciated.
post #566 of 4536 Old 12-02-2003, 09:12 AM

that is funny. i just found this voom yesterday and i have been researching it a little. the key is going to be content and that looks a little sketchy right now.

does anyone here have any luck with attic (indoor antenna) from cranberry? i live in a community with an association that will not allow a roof top antenna.

the more i think about it HDnet is now letting me down. i'll keep it, but those three channels seems not up to par. for me, the PBS demo loop has some of the best pictures i use to showcase the theatre.
post #567 of 4536 Old 12-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

You are allowed to put up antennas regardless of HOA or landlord rules as long as you have exclusive use of the area where it will go. If it's your own house you will have no problems. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

That's how I got away with putting a satellite dish on my back porch in my old apt building which ran their own horrible cable service.
post #568 of 4536 Old 12-02-2003, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

[quote]Originally posted by agtiny

"That's how I got away with putting a satellite dish on my back porch in my old apt building which ran their own horrible cable service."

I say: You mean the Villages of Laurelwood (West) is STILL running his own cable in those apartments? Must be crap...
post #569 of 4536 Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM

I live in Clearbrook which is no more than 1 1/2 from village of laurelwoods.

Did you guys get:

CBS
ABC
NBC
PBS

with an indoor antenna or small outdoor without having to go to the skagi style?

I am considering going with dish now and getting OTA rather than continue paying Armstrong 90/month.

What do you guys recommend?
post #570 of 4536 Old 12-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

I was lucky enough to have an east-facing window in Laurelwood and was able to get all OTA channels except WCWB with a small Xium antenna mounted in it. Now I can't even receive one channel when the antenna is indoors (aluminum siding, big trees). I could have tried a large rooftop but there would still be the tree issue. Cable was just less of a hassle for me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page