Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 4538 Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So east facing is key? I would be thinking south would be the way to point towards pittsburgh?

Do you think an antenna mounted inside of the dish would pull in if i had a clear view east/south?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 4538 Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah south or east, either should be OK. Inside the dish...you mean mounted to the back? I guess it would work as long as it has a clear view.
post #573 of 4538 Old 12-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

The satellite dish needs to point towards the southwest, and the off-air antenas point towards the south-southeast if you are in Cranberry. Like everywhere in the burgh, what you will receive in off-air will be due to location, location, location!

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #574 of 4538 Old 12-04-2003, 01:34 PM

I set up my home theater last year with a Sony HD200 using a small UHF antenna and preamp, both from Radio Shack. I mounted my antenna in the attic, pointed it carefully, and reliably received NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS for about 6 to 8 months. The signal meter on the Sony was in the high normal range or better for all of the channels. Then, a few months ago, it all disappeared. I still get KDKA, but the other channels give me "No Signal."

Recently, I crawled back into the attic, remounted the antenna in essentially the same location, and pointed it as before. There was no improvement at all.

To my knowledge, nothing has changed with the hardware, the cabling, or the antenna environment. The loss of signal is independent of time-of-day and has persisted for many months now. The antenna is in good repair. So, basically, what the heck should I try?

I am tempted replace the preamp with something better than radio shack, though I know that the amp is working to some degree, because the signal for KDKA is significantly worse with it removed.

I am also considering moving the UHF antenna outside with my satellite dish. I suspect that I will need to run a separate coax run because the LNBs needs DC just like the preamp and trying to piggyback them will probably blow up something expensive. That requires work...so I am avoiding it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
post #575 of 4538 Old 12-04-2003, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Message to all...and to agtiny...

All of these issues regarding antennas, location, hardware, trees, mountains, direction, etc. seem to be overcome IF, key word "IF", one switches from satellite dish, like DirecTV to cable. I had so many hassles with OTA and though Greg did a terrific job for me, no one can get signals if your pointing at the station towers with trees and a hill blocking your antenna's view. All of which is to say I felt fortunate to get KDKA/WPXI with no problem...and while I WAS getting WTAE at one time...no more! Which is why it just seems to me that when I move I should just go cable...and, have it all sans the above issues and need for antennas.

Or...am I seeing this all too simplistic?

And Dale...I do recall your saying a few days back that digital cable's stations were as good as DirecTV's but that the lower end channels were not. Help me to better understand what you mean.

On my Pioneer Elite 610 HDTV, those stations that come to me via DirecTV are ok, at best, though a bit blurry...unless they're the OTA channels (whether in HD or not), and the dish offered HD channels like ESPN (when they ever show HD programs), HBOHD, SHOWHD, Discovery, etc. Those channels are all terrific.

So, are you saying that cable's non-digital channels are WORSE than DirecTV's inferior channels as described above?

Thanks in advance for your replies...
post #576 of 4538 Old 12-04-2003, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by svtdougie

I am considering going with dish now and getting OTA rather than continue paying Armstrong 90/month.

What do you guys recommend? [/b]

What is it you're paying $90 a month for?

Right now I'm paying like $120 per month for DirecTV which includes their premium choice package, HBO, Showtime and HD bundle of ESPN, Discovery, HDNet. I also continue to enjoy the east/west coast network package. I think I pay like $5 per additional reciever (4, includes Tivo).

The way I figured it, if I got the roughly the same from cable, the cost would be about the same to a bit cheaper.

Can anyone confirm/differ with this?
post #577 of 4538 Old 12-04-2003, 06:18 PM

The more I have been thinking about it, I am going to stay with Armstrong due to all the problems you guys have had with OTA. I think I am going to bail on Showtime since nothing is ever that good on HD and I'll hang on to HBO for the Soprano's which who knows when it is starting.

I am still going to check out voom to see what that is about and i'll report my findings here.

I'll also let you know how the OTA install at my cousins goes next weekend.
post #578 of 4538 Old 12-05-2003, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The more I have been thinking about it, I am going to stay with Armstrong due to all the problems you guys have had with OTA. I think I am going to bail on Showtime since nothing is ever that good on HD and I'll hang on to HBO for the Soprano's which who knows when it is starting.

I am still going to check out voom to see what that is about and i'll report my findings here.

I'll also let you know how the OTA install at my cousins goes next weekend.

Yeah...let us know about Voom. From what I saw/read, it looks good for old movies, sports and/or off beat sports...but nothing like NFL.

When I went to the AVS thread on Voom, it seemed that those that liked it were those that just love HD for being HD...you know, the types that'll watch, say the Discovery HD Channel just because it looks really good whereas before, they'd never watch Discovery.

Nothing against that...just not me. I want current programming, new release movies, NFL and the "twins"!

But do let us know if your impressions of Voom are different. Thanks...
post #579 of 4538 Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by agtiny

The only channels you will lose will be Discovery-HD and an HDPPV channel. We also don't get NBA-HD or that new NFL channel yet. I suspect we will be seeing Discovery within several months, as $9.95 (HD Advantage fee in April) seems high for only 3 channels. InHD...who knows, but I will take HDNet over that any day.

$9.95 alot of the 3 channels???????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???. Wake up
Discovery wanted to charge Armstrong $14.99 for the one channel. Yeah but $9.99 is alot for all three? What ever.
post #580 of 4538 Old 12-07-2003, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I believe I was the first person to get the HD package from Armstrong and have had it for over a year and a half now.

What I can tell you is that there is guide information for all HD channels except (PBS) which show as "local programming".

I am upset at Armstrong for now offering HDnet, HDnet Movie, and ESPN HD as $5 for a few months then $10 in April. I signed up for it, but ESPN HD is horrible. I'd say 90% if upconverts and HDnet movie is...well...can the guy spring from some decent movies. I only like HDnet. The picture is stunning.

My cousin just got the SIRt-151 and I will be setting that up for him in the next week. I'll see what that goes, but I pay $82 right now for everything except Starz. To me that is starting to get steep.

I keep calling them and telling them all I want are the HD channels but they won't do that for me.

Anyone else have success at just getting HD channels from Armstrong?

//doug

You were not the first customer sorry. Also the PBS is not PBS it is the national feed which is not local programming. It says that because Armstrong just gets it and sends it to us.
post #581 of 4538 Old 12-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blitzburgh
Here's one for you Doug et al...

Just got a mailer today for Voom HD...anyone else get this yet? Apparently it's a new satellite service and their forte' is HD as they have 39 HD channels with 21 of them their own.

Cost is like $40 per month PLUS you have to buy their equipment which cost close to $800. The equipment includes an HD receiver and an antenna for locals, the latter of which I'm dubious about given all the problems I had with rooftop antenna's and incompetent installers prior to Greg's rescue.

I must admit...it intriques me yet what I really want is picture quality, great sound, variety, expandability and the least amount of hassle. Will I get that from cable?...from DirecTV?...or now Voom?

Correction it is not $40 a month it is $99.99. From what you posted is that you said that it cost $40 for 39 channels. It costs $40 to get about 15 channels. The rest is extra.
post #582 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 AM

i just got off the phone with armstrong and here is what they are telling me.

the second week of january will mark the arrival of the HD PVR box, the Motoroloa 5200 i guess.

also, available will be discovery, inhd1, and inhd2. but as usual the person i talked to had no idea she kept confusing showtime and inhd. i have no idea how you can do that.

but we'll have to wait and see but dishnetworks package for 40/month to get 5 HD channels and i can just put up an antenna to get nbc

//doug
post #583 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TV21CHIEF
I noticed they have a signal up tonight on 46-3 and 46-4.

I am also receiving WNEO, it is now on 46-1 & 46-2. They are running the the PBS standard system which runs HDTV and an SDTV simultaniously.

I am having weird reception on ch.46 though. Every evening around primetime WWHO-Columbus comes in on ch.46. No other Columbus stations have ever come in.
post #584 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 10:45 AM

rpeduzzi & Mark Vidonic

The problem with WNPA is technical. They have asked to change their DTV from Ch.30 to Ch.49. This isn't all that strange as many stations have asked for and been granted channel changes.

The problem is that WNPA has asked that their transmitter site be moved to an area that is 10 miles NE of WQED. Although DTV rules allow 2 adjacent channels to be broadcast in the same area (within 23 miles of each other) where interference between the two stations will be very small such as 42-WCWB & 43-WPGH, and 25-KDKA & 26-WQEX, WNPA's proposed channel change creates additional technical problems because the proposal calls for:

48-WPXI
49-WNPA
50-WPCB
51-WTAE

The problem with this is that altough interference between 2 adjacent channels is very small the interference to a station in the middle of 3 adjacent channels may experience a small amount of interference from both adjacent channels and impact the stations coverage area. For instance WPCB would receive a very small amount of interference from both WTAE and WNPA which may impact it's coverage area.

As far as I know WNPA's request is the first of it's kind and the FCC is throughly studying the request. The last thing the FCC wants to do is create an interference problem between 4 parties.

The Canadian approval is probably BS. All new stations in the Canadian Border Zone has to be approved by Canada. Our FM station was approved nearly instantly by the Canadian Government.
post #585 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryan27
The Canadian approval is probably BS. All new stations in the Canadian Border Zone has to be approved by Canada. Our FM station was approved nearly instantly by the Canadian Government.

Canadian approvals are not BS. It took 2 years to get mine and WKBN, the CBS affiliate here in Youngstown is still waiting for Canadian approval after resolving an MX issue with Pittsburgh. Canada and Mexico are very slow at turning them loose. There are still many stations in border zones across the country that had their CP's accepted for filing in November 1999 that don't have them granted yet.
post #586 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 12:04 PM

bryan 27 & TV21Chief,

Thanks for the additional info on WNPA. I hadn't thought about what the resulting channel allocations would mean (channels on 48 through 51). But now I'm curious as to whether channel 49 was the only other viable option for WNPA (as well as the exact problem WNPA had with its original assignment on Channel 30).

I guess I'm mildly surprised that Viacom would not be doing more to get its digital UPN signal on the air in Pittsburgh ... although I can think of reasons why it might not be a top priority for KDKA's management and engineers (the additional expense and operational headaches come to mind immediately).

No matter what, I can't see how WNPA could get its digital signal on the air before 2005/2006. Is this too pessimistic an assessment?
post #587 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:

the second week of january will mark the arrival of the HD PVR box, the Motoroloa 5200 i guess.

also, available will be discovery, inhd1, and inhd2. but as usual the person i talked to had no idea she kept confusing showtime and inhd. i have no idea how you can do that.

but we'll have to wait and see but dishnetworks package for 40/month to get 5 HD channels and i can just put up an antenna to get nbc

//doug

they know about discovery but have no clue what INHD is.
post #588 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 PM

I would double, triple, and quadruple check on Discovery HD. I'm not so sure it's going to happen.
post #589 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1 month away?! That's gotta be a mistake... how can Armstrong roll out something before any other provider has been able to? At least I'm pretty sure no one else has HDPVR yet (unless you buy it retail and use it for OTA only).

I knew we'd see Discovery in the $9.95 package! Awesome.

I'm going to email my contact.
post #590 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, it's true! Here's a more official word:
Quote:
PVR's are in the final stages of internal testing. We will use the Motorola 6208 initially. The 6208's have HD capability. Pricing is being finalized this week. We plan to start advertising next week with customer installs starting approximately 1/6/04.

Additional HD programming is always being worked on, however, no new channel agreements have been reached at this time.

post #591 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 02:11 PM

Taken from http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...ata_060403.pdf
"DCT6208
Personal Video Recording (PVR) and High-Definition TV (HDTV) - in one
easy-to-use set-top! The Motorola DCT6208 offers time-conscious customers
on-demand viewing control combined with HDTV support. Motorola's
DCT6208 comes fully equipped with an integrated 80 GB hard-drive for
hours of PVR functionality including the capability of recording high definition
programs. In addition to the built-in hard drive storage capacity it features
a 1394 Firewire digital interface to enable external hard-drive expansion for
increased storage or connection to future networked video devices."

This would be really cool if it is available on Armstrong.
post #592 of 4538 Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpeduzzi
No matter what, I can't see how WNPA could get its digital signal on the air before 2005/2006. Is this too pessimistic an assessment?

Well, it could go up rather fast. To protect their Digital Service Contour the station will need to go up fast. Since most of the new DTV Towers, antennas, etc... have been installed there isn't as much of a rush on construction like there was. A new tower can go up in a day or two.

There really wasn't a problem with Ch.30 if WNPA would have stayed where it is. But by moving the transmitter to Pittsburgh ch.30 couldn't be used because the separation between 29-WWCP Johnstown and a Ch.30 in Pittsburgh would have been too great. The rules are something like adjacent channels are permitted if their seperation is 0-23 miles or greater that 56 miles. Any adjacent channels between 24-55 miles wouldn't be permitted.

Ever since Ch.19 moved into the Pittsburgh TV Market, moving the station closer to Pittsburgh has always been the goal, and the DTV transition is making this possible. Ch.49 wasn't the only possible move, but it probably was the easiest to attempt (Chs.39 & 47 are possibly available). The could have moved to channels higher than 51, but the FCC won't permit a channel move from a "Core Channel" to a "Non-Core Channel"

Ch.14-20 Not possible due to Land Mobile use
Ch.21-WFMJ (A)
Ch.22-WCWB (A)
Ch.23-WATM (A)
Ch.24-WNPB (A) & WATM(D)
Ch.25-KDKA (D)
Ch.26-WQEX (D)
Ch.27-WKBN (A)
Ch.28-WQVC (A) Class-A protection required
Ch.29-WWCP (D)
Ch.30-Several Class-A stations moving due to displacement
Ch.31-WWBP (A) Class-A Displacement move
Ch.32-WTAJ (D) & WTRF (D)
Ch.33-WYTV (A) & WNPB (A)
Ch.34-WJAC (D)
Ch.35-There are 5 Class-A stations in the region
Ch.36-WYTV (D)
Ch.37-Radio Astronomy Use
Ch.38-WQED (D)
Ch.39-Possibly Available
Ch.40-WPCB (A)
Ch.41-WKBN (D)
Ch.42-WCWB (D)
Ch.43-WPGH (D)
Ch.44-WOUC (A)
Ch.45-WNEO (A)
Ch.46-WNEO (D) & WKBS (D)
Ch.47-Possibly Available
Ch.48-WPXI (D)
Ch.49-Possibly Available
Ch.50-WPCB (D)
Ch.51-WTAE (D)
post #593 of 4538 Old 12-10-2003, 12:37 PM

I agree.
post #594 of 4538 Old 12-10-2003, 05:41 PM

VOOM UPDATE:

ok, i finally made it to sears to check out voom for you guys (been busy finishing basement) and the verdict is....SUCKS!!

don't even waste your time looking at it. almost all the voom 'exclusive' hd channels were upconverts. looked horrible for so called HD. maybe in a few months after they get more channels it may be worth a look, but in my opinion, if this is what they have, they are going to go under real fast.

as far as armstrong goes, i will wait for the new HD PVR box and see what that is like. i will call and try to get on the wait list for first week in january tomorrow.

//doug
post #595 of 4538 Old 12-12-2003, 05:59 PM

Voom is worth it. There channels are not upconverts and most of them are showing the dish network feed not vooms.
post #596 of 4538 Old 12-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

**** only has 4 asterisks you moron.
post #597 of 4538 Old 12-14-2003, 04:50 PM

Thanks for telling me.... Like i did not know.
post #598 of 4538 Old 12-15-2003, 09:12 AM

clisenet you better calm down. we are all here trying to learn and be informative here. it seems like you know a lot about stuff, how about just presenting in a more friendly manor? sound reasonable?

//doug
post #599 of 4538 Old 12-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, Armstrong's HDPVR is only $3.95/mo extra. I have seen other cable companies charging like $12-15/mo for the service!
post #600 of 4538 Old 12-18-2003, 07:18 AM

I know. They called me last night and I am all setup for Jan. 6 install date which is the first day they are rolling them out.

I can't wait.

I cancelled Showtime but still have HBO and my bill is coming to 79.81 she said.

I'll let everyone know. She also said that deals with Discovery are still moving forward as discovery has lowered there price down, however, nothing on the inhd channels.

//doug
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page