Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4548 Old 01-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree that was better, except that the audio/video sync was off!

I've sent some emails to KDKA (I even tried a reporter on the "investigative team!) to try to persuade them that this is a problem. Maybe if we just keep reminding them about it..... My next step is to try to find out how to complain to the FCC - they might at least take note if a complaint is recorded there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 12:11 PM

I am trying to watch the Chiefs-Colts game and the audio drop outs are so bad that I had no choice but to turn the receiver off and watch it with no sound. I hope this gets fixed before the super bowl. Is it a majority vote that KDKA is the source of the problem or does anybody think this is a Comcast or CBS feed problem?

When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get - H.S.
Xbox - jsling
post #633 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 02:20 PM

The problem for the game yesterday was do to CBS.
post #634 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 02:34 PM

Nice to see a Pittsburgh thread!

I live about 30 miles west of Pittsburgh in Steubenville, OH. Antennaweb says I need a huge antenna. Anyone have any suggestions for me on an antenna?
post #635 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 02:42 PM

I agree, you will need a big one but i am not the one to answer for suggestions.
post #636 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 07:38 PM

sorry guys for the late post i've been busting my ass at work lately and have been beat.

yes i did get the install last tuesday and the installer said i was #4, he said one person got on dec 29 and 3 people before that day.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

box looks identical to the 5100. the remote is very different and i am still not that comfortable with it. does not feel intuitive at all.

Picture quality: here is my biggest problem. on EVERY analog channel (2 - 70) the picture quality is SUB par. I mean it looks horrible. it looks worse that the compression that my replay 5040 used no question. on digital cable channels it is much better, but still not as good as with the 5100.

with HDTV the picture is VERY close to having no compression at all. i still think it is not quite as clear but you would be nit picking for sure.

Features: the DVR function is not working exactly right yet. i setup friday and csi because i was out thursday and it only recorded 15 minutes of friends but got all of csi, likewise, a few other recordings have stopped halfway through. armstrong said not to complain because so little people have it i'd be better off trouble shooting myself.

i love having it playback a movie off of hdnet movie or hdnet and seeing 5.1 audio locked in and be able to move back slow mo or even instant replay and keep that. very novel.

let me know what you think about yours.

as a side note, does anyone get fox OTA, is it progressive 480p, because the eagles/packers game was terrible on analog.

//doug
post #637 of 4548 Old 01-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds cool.. I know there will be bugs but that's ok. I am just about done setting up a MythTV box so I might start using that for all analog channels which should improve the PQ.

WPGH doesn't broadcast the Fox Widescreen content. Hopefully they will go to Fox HD 720p when that comes online. Whenever it does we should get it on channel 153.
post #638 of 4548 Old 01-13-2004, 01:46 PM

I got this reply from KDKA today on the audio drop outs.

"Thank you for your input concerning the HDTV problem. We have been working with the manufacturer of our upconverter, device used to format programming for HD, and because of the recent surge of newer HD receivers there has been some improvements and drawbacks to the new technology. The audio issue should be resolved . I would appreciate your feedback if you are still experiencing problems.
Mark Etzi
KDKA-TV"

When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get - H.S.
Xbox - jsling
post #639 of 4548 Old 01-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsling

The audio issue should be resolved . I would appreciate your feedback if you are still experiencing problems.
Mark Etzi
KDKA-TV"

Did Mr. Etzi leave an email address? Unless they fixed it today, I still had drop-offs last night and would like to tell him all about it.
post #640 of 4548 Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Did Mr. Etzi leave an email address? Unless they fixed it today, I still had drop-offs last night and would like to tell him all about it.

Yep,
It's

etzi@kdka.com
Mark Etzi
KDKA-TV
One Gateway Center
Pittsburgh, Pa. 15222

Xbox - jsling
post #641 of 4548 Old 01-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Got my 6208 today and I LOVE it! Haven't had a single bug hit me yet and we tested it pretty hard. We recorded 24 on analog directly followed by L&O in HD, and we started watching the 24 recording after about 20 minutes, and kept on watching it while it switched channels to begin recording L&O. It was seamless! PQ is good, I think analog looks the same as the 5100. HD is perfect. It looks like analog channels are now output in Dolby Digital instead of PCM, so that's a change. Best $3.95 I ever spent. Highly recommended. (I have no Tivo experience so for a Tivo user it is probably a step down)

The only gripe so far is that the fan in the box is louder than my Athlon HTPC next to it. Granted, it's in a quiet Sonata case with a quiet CPU fan, but still... Also got MythTV up and running today at 960x540p and it looks fantastic.. but that's off-topic a bit. Oh also, when you pause TV, the audio signal cuts out so my receiver kicks off the surround mode back to stereo. That's a bit annoying, but I really blame my receiver here.
post #642 of 4548 Old 01-14-2004, 12:01 PM

I just ordered an install of digital + HDTV PVR... Set up for the 23rd. Hopefully people will keep posting good experiences with it.
post #643 of 4548 Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

"Thank you for your input concerning the HDTV problem. We have been working with the manufacturer of our upconverter, device used to format programming for HD, and because of the recent surge of newer HD receivers there has been some improvements and drawbacks to the new technology. The audio issue should be resolved . I would appreciate your feedback if you are still experiencing problems.
Mark Etzi
KDKA-TV"

Any update on this problem? I'm still having dropout issues with a zenith HD420 (ota).

Also, a comment on CBS football broadcasts.

My denon 3803 will detect the number of channels and default to either prologic or 5.1. Most of the time with football on CBS, someone forgets to 'flip a switch' or something. This results in broadcasting only the L and R channels of an 5.1 program. My receiver recognizes this as a dolby digital 2.0 signal. This is far worse than the original two channel signal as most dialog is lost and the prologic decoder puts too much into the rear channels. Then all of a sudden... blammo they flip the switch and the rest of the game is in 5.1.
post #644 of 4548 Old 01-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Mark Etzi
KDKA-TV"

Any update on this problem? I'm still having dropout issues with a zenith HD420 (ota).

Also, a comment on CBS football broadcasts.

My denon 3803 will detect the number of channels and default to either prologic or 5.1. Most of the time with football on CBS, someone forgets to 'flip a switch' or something. This results in broadcasting only the L and R channels of an 5.1 program. This is far worse than the original two channel signal as most dialog is lost and the prologic decoder puts too much into the rear channels. Then all of a sudden... blammo they flip the switch and the rest of the game is in 5.1.
post #645 of 4548 Old 01-16-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I haven't had much time this week to watch much of KDKA's feed to see if the audio drop outs have stopped but of the few shows I did tune into since I got their email it seems as if they turned off the 5.1 DD all together. Has anyone else noticed this? I am going to email them again....

Xbox - jsling
post #646 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I noticed that the "DD 5.1" is totally abandoned. Replacing it with far more stable signal is satisfactory. I watched 3 hours of KDKA on Thursday evening and there was barely a glitch. Comparing this to the disaster they had going, yes the problem is solved for now.

Since it is my understanding that none of the CBS shows is in 5.1 anyways, why send that phantom signal to us anyways? Save it for the real deal when it arrives.
post #647 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Since it is my understanding that none of the CBS shows is in 5.1 anyways, why send that phantom signal to us anyways? Save it for the real deal when it arrives.

Since I have only had HDTV a few weeks now I did not know that none of the CBS shows are in 5.1. Thats interesting that the whole time they were sending us a phantom signal. No wonder it sounded so bad. Since that's the case then I totally agree that it sounds a thousand times better even though its only 2.0.
I am just thankful that I at least get CBS in HD. Hopefully soon WPXI & WPGH are added to Comcast. I emailed WPXI recently and I got a reply from them saying that their Corporate Office (Cox) was still negotiating with Comcast.

Xbox - jsling
post #648 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I had Dish Network previously and was fortunate enough to get the CBS NYC signal. It was a DD 2.0 sound and very stable. There was a lot of talk that CBS would change their prime time lineup to 5.1 but equipment did not get purchased and put in place. So it is still 2.0

Last year CBS broadcast the Grammy's in HD and the real deal DD 5.1 live. I sat totally mesmerized for 3 hours. The sound was top quality and Simon and Garfunkel sounded like they were ready for a new recording contract! This year CBS is reprising the awards on Feb. 8, but I am not sure what will happen to that great sound when KDKA gets to help process it.
post #649 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 01:25 PM

6208 update:

agtiny..i am glad you are happy with yours as well. i am coming up on week 2 and now it seems like my bugs are worked out now.

it definately works better than my replaytv. i still think analog channels aren't nearly as good as the 5100 but it could be also my hdtv being too good (lcd rear projection).

as far as functionality i haven't played around with the setting up daily/weekly recordings have you done this yet? if so, how does it work?

fan noise: this is insanely loud but might just be noticable because my h/k equipment is fanless and tv fan is deadly silent. it seems like the hard drive continues to spin constantly.

i also wonder how this thing remembers.. if i have 10 shows up and watch 5 minutes of each one, when i go back in it picks up right where it left off.

just finished watching wild things off and that was 2 hours plus some other misc. content and i was still showing 50% free. pretty good.

//doug
post #650 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have a few weekly recordings set up but won't know if they work till next week. I haven't tried watching partial recordings yet but remembering your spot is a pretty cool feature. It is very loud... I tried turning the box off but everything stays on and it will even record shows while it's 'off'. The drive in mine is a Seagate ST380012ACE which should be pretty reliable.. but 24/7 heavy read/write is eventually going to wear the drive down. Oh well that's why it's a rental.
post #651 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

For what it's worth...but, as for me,

I'm stickin' with DirecTV!!

If any of you have been following my posts, as you know, I'm building a new house and, an Home Theatre Room...24' x 15'. I was seriously considering going back to cable...after all, you all have been a big help with the info and Armstrong has made great progress in the past 10 years since I used them last. Most think, and I agree, they're ahead of Comcast.

That said...

Yeah, to get rid of the dish, the OTA rooftop antenna, extra wiring, blah, blah, blah and spending a little less was something I was looking forward to and was convinced my dish was gettin' the heav-ho...UNTIL...

Yes, until my neighbor, whose had a SONY HDTV for some time but never got an HD tuner took my recommendation and upgraded his cable to digital and Armstrongs new HD Tuner with PVR.

He got his installed January 9th and I was at his house immediately after the install. Man, was I shocked.

His picture sucked no matter what channel. HD, other than HDNet didn't look very good at all, and not much better than what he had before.

Naturally, I was a bit chagrined but the kicker for me was in learning that the PVR only has one tuner...unlike my DirecTiVo that has two. In other words, with Armstrong, I would not be able to record another channel while watching another. Right now I can record two different programs while watching a third through my HD tuner.

To top it all off, given all the bucks I'm spending, needless to say when it comes to my HT room, I'm dealing with the "wife factor" yet even she said "ain't no way I'm givin' up the TiVo and the option to record something different than what I'm watching".

Not knockin' Armstrong or those that have it and like it...different strokes for different folks but, as for me, I'm stayin' with DirecTV...albeit reluctantly but I am.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Hope it helps others who are trying to decide between cable vs. dish. Remember, I have no predetermined loyalties that I'm blind to...nope, just wanted the best picture/sound for the best price. For me, it's the dish.
post #652 of 4548 Old 01-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Let me just add that 'the wife factor' is quite a large variable in the HT equation.
post #653 of 4548 Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone else not getting WQED-DT? It's gone OTA and on Comcast for me.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #654 of 4548 Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

It's been dead for days now I think.
post #655 of 4548 Old 01-21-2004, 06:22 AM

I've also noticed that WQED-DT has been off the air OTA. Not sure if this means anything, but WQEX 16 analog has been off also. They might be getting ready to startup WQEX-DT. I think they share the same tower...not sure though..

--Clint--
post #656 of 4548 Old 01-21-2004, 12:05 PM

The Post Gazette reported that QED-DT has transmission line problems and would be back on ASAP.
I live in Penn Hills and the other day I did a scan with my dish 811 while pointed south and Ch 24 -1,2,and 3 showed up with a 70 signaL,this was the first time I got a signal from them. The Morgantown WV station carries 3 PBS feeds and is great to have when QED is off air.

----Walt---
post #657 of 4548 Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Walt:
Is their tower really in Morgantown or Parkersburg? If it's Parkersburg, that's pretty good to get it at 70. You must have had some serious skip going on.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #658 of 4548 Old 01-22-2004, 02:45 AM

I am not sure which city it is in but the call letters are WNPB.
The strange part is the receiver mapped it as 24 but the guide shows 33-1,2 and 3. I doubt it is a skip signal because I have been getting it everyday for at least a week.

-----Walt-----
post #659 of 4548 Old 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WNEO in Alliance, OH (channel 46) is another alternative while WQED is down. It may be hard to pull in for you folks further south, but here in Chippewa it's rock solid.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #660 of 4548 Old 01-22-2004, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Walt, I looked it up today...WNPB is actually in Morgantown, their analog channel is 24, but their digital channel is 33. For familiarity, they will just map it to 24.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page