Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 4545 Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright what gives??!!!!!!

I live in Morgantown and I can't get WNPB, but I get all of the Pittsburgh stations with ease.

Is WNPB active now??

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 4545 Old 01-22-2004, 09:53 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone else in the Pittsburgh/Greensburg area are losing some of your HD channels over the last couple of nights. I have no signals from the STARZ, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, ESPN or WTAE HD channels three times in the last 4 days. The INHD, HBO and KDKA HD channels were o.k., but the others were displaying "this channel will be available shortly" (or whatever those words are). They do display during the day, but get "lost" at night. I am using 2 5100 boxes from COMCAST, and both are losing the HD channels listed. They sent a tech out yesterday to check the boxes, but as I stated, they do work during the day and of course the tech sees NO problem. And all of a sudden tonight, they were off again!!!

Is this happening to anyone else??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tom
post #663 of 4545 Old 01-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Hey everyone, the firewire on Armstrong's 6208's does seem to be active. I have it hooked up to my Linux box right now but I'm not having much luck. Some people were able to get their Comcast 6200's recording to a Mac. See this thread if you're interested.
post #664 of 4545 Old 01-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Huh.. Any luck at all? Does gscanbus show anything? I will try this from a WinXP laptop.. Got my 6208 installed this morning, and it seems to work well, although I haven't played much with it. The interface leaves a lot to be desired compared to Tivo, but that's ok.
post #665 of 4545 Old 01-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah gscanbus finds the 6208, and I am able to read some info from it, but no actual data. See the above thread where I posted a bit more.
post #666 of 4545 Old 01-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Oh, the Armstrong install guy (who seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful) told me that it was unlikely that Armstrong would be carrying UPN and WB in HD due to cost, and are considering dropping ESPN-HD for the same reason. He also strenuously objected to using the DVI output (vs. component) because of future potential broadcast flag issues with PVR.
post #667 of 4545 Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

He told me not to use DVI too and also said firewire was not active. UPN/WB aren't even available in HD here yet, but I imagine when they are they will be available, as will Fox HD if we ever get it.

I bet your installer probably didn't know what he was talking about. They won't drop ESPN-HD because they already have their contract with whatever price/subscriber and they pass along the cost to us with the new $5/$10 fee, so they aren't losing money. I expect to see Discovery HD soon too.
post #668 of 4545 Old 01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, I finally got KDKA locked in. The very, old rotor has finally broken away from the ice that held it. I just got my HTL-HD and, without a signal meter by the way, was able to lock in KDKA from about 54.5 miles away with my roof-top antenna (I'm located close to Youngstown, OH). Being that this is the closest CBS affiliate to me, I am pumped because now sunday will definetly be SUPER SUNDAY!!

BTW, I just got done watching CSI on my Z1 front projector and it looked amazing. I'll bet that with a HD RPTV it would probably look every better. What do any of you think?

Any others using a Z1 and watching OTA HD material? Anything else I can do to maybe increase PQ even more? I'm using component cables and the HTL-HD is set at Variable 2.
post #669 of 4545 Old 01-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Don'y worry... The Super Bowl won't look like CSI. Live events on CBS usually have the wow.
post #670 of 4545 Old 01-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

I sent the following letter to Mr. Mark Etzi a KDKA representative who is working on the sound problems:

Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 9:52 AM
To: etzi@kdka.com
Subject: KDKA Digital Sound

Dear Mr. Etzi,

A HD newsgroup posted information about your role in reducing the audio breakups of KDKA when broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1. There is certainly an improvement since you have stopped sending the false 5.1 signal. Very few breakups occur and for that I am grateful.

However there is a definite synchronization problem with the sound on the digital channel. There is a small lapse, but it is certainly present. While watching KDKA HD, I am forever watching the mouths of the speakers, for my brain realizes that there is a small, but annoying lack of correlation between what is heard and seen. CBS is by far the most watched channel in our house and if this sound synchronization problem were to be repaired, it would greatly improve the HD experience.

He replied today with the following:

Thank you for the information.
We are testing various aspects of our HD transmission.
I would appreciate if you could tell me if you receive our signal off air, channel 25 or via a cable system.
Thanks for your help.

So fellow HDTV Enthusiasts, here is your chance to help things get better. If you have valuable input, let him hear about it.
post #671 of 4545 Old 01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

I watched Without a Trace last night (on cable) and didn't have any audio issues at all. Maybe it's your receiver or something?
post #672 of 4545 Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Now here was a pleasant surprise...

I flipped up my channel guide on my Sammy TS160 and on DirecTV's channel lineup for the HD Channels...all of a sudden I had channel 80 CBSE out of New York...and Ch. 81 CBSW out of LA.

Both broadcast the CBS HD shows in...HD!

Unfortunately, it's only CBS and not NBC or ABC...particularly the latter since I can't pull in the weak WTAE signal.

Anyhow...I am happy for those football fans who, in their area, might not get the OTA digital channel for CBS but now can see the Super Bowl if they have DirecTV's HD package. I definite plus...
post #673 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 05:12 AM
kkc

Blitz,
I think that you were lucky to have these stations activated. My guide showed the "call extension 721" message. When I called and finally talked to the D* rep, I was told that CBS affiliates, WTRF from Wheeling and WKBN from Youngstown, have both claimed to be offering me a Grade A or B signal and that a waiver must be obtained from these stations to receive the East coast CBS-HD feed. I live in the mountains of Eastern Westmoreland county, near Donegal, have a Channelmaster 4228 UHF antennae and there is NO WAY that I can receive these signals. I get a great signal from KDKA, so its not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have it as a back up and to see the additional New York programming.

While I was talking to the rep, I asked her to go ahead and file a waiver request for FOX 53WPGH in advance of the upcoming addition of the FOX ED national feed on D*. I realize that the chances of this being granted are next to ZERO and that really bites. Sinclair owned WPGH has no desire to upgrade their power or pass the the national ED feed because "its not worth the money for the few HD receivers that are out there", but they will not allow us to get this signal elsewhere.

Kevin
post #674 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

If the FCC makes these ridiculous signal access rules apply to this situation than they should require DirecTV to carry these stations as part of your "local" package. Wouldn't that get DirecTV's attention?

New guidelines need to be set up to coincide with the new technology.
post #675 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 06:20 AM

kkc,

My guide also showed "call extension 721" message. When I called they said I was not elgible because did not subscribe to the local package. Told them that the press release said "or" HD package. She did some more checking and said I was approved so hit my card and activated CBSE. If I were you I'd call back. DTV is notorious for giving different responses dependent on CSR you happen to talk to. I am south of Greensburg near New Stanton!

I didn't really need it since I get 25.1 good. However, it will come in handy when KDKA starts altering their programing which they tend to do now and then.

Jim
post #676 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 AM
kkc

Jim,

Right you are!!! I called D *again and the rep asked me if I was a Super Bowl fan...I said "ABSOLUTELY". He activated Channel 81.

Kevin
post #677 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 08:08 AM

I live near Bridgeville in South Fayette Township (Morgan, PA precisely) and just purchased an HDTV monitor and tuner this week. I setup the HD tuner and it quicikly locked in 5 local HD stations: KDKA, WPXI, WPGH, WTAE, and some Greensburg channel. I have an indoor antenna which is powered so I can't complain that I'm getting the BIG FOUR networks OTA for free. But my question is why can't I get PBS or WPTT or Steubenville WTOV, Johnstown, or Wheeling WTRF? I can get all these station's analog signals OTA, but not the HD channels. Is anybody else in my area getting more channels than I am getting? If so, what is your setup?
post #678 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 08:47 AM
kkc

Guins,

The digital WQED has been off the air for a few days...not sure what the problem is. When it comes back on air, you should be able to receive it.

I'm not sure about WTOV, but WTRF and the Johnstown Fox affiliate are not passing their networks HD signal, so even if you were able to receive them, it would not look any different than the standard definition analog channel. No big loss. Consider yourself fortunate to be able to receive the major four from Pittsburgh.

Kevin
post #679 of 4545 Old 01-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the story about the antenna problem knocking WQED-DT offline over two weeks ago (along with WQEX analog). Seems like it's taking awhile to fix, maybe because of the bad weather all month.

http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20040114wqex0114fnp6.asp

Comcast channel 790 (WQED-DT) now has a blue screen with a note about technical difficulties instead of the "this channel will be available shortly" screen.
post #680 of 4545 Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 AM

Anyone noticing audio problems w/ the Super Bowl pregame on armstrong HD? When they're on the field/announcer shots, there's no voice - only crowd noise (looks like center channel not coming in). When they switch to taped interviews w/ players, commercials, etc, it's fine...

Parag
post #681 of 4545 Old 02-01-2004, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They are working on it, Parag...I think once the game starts, we'll get a true read if it's fixed or not.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #682 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by roemerj
kkc,

My guide also showed "call extension 721" message. When I called they said I was not elgible because did not subscribe to the local package. Told them that the press release said "or" HD package. She did some more checking and said I was approved so hit my card and activated CBSE. If I were you I'd call back. DTV is notorious for giving different responses dependent on CSR you happen to talk to. I am south of Greensburg near New Stanton!

I didn't really need it since I get 25.1 good. However, it will come in handy when KDKA starts altering their programing which they tend to do now and then.

Jim

That was good advice Jim. In my case, years ago, I wanted to keep the East Coast/West Coast network channels...even though the locals were "fired" up, so to speak.

I eventually found a "rep" that turned them on. I wanted them because, as I like football, having the locals, the east/west coast channels pretty much gave me most of the NFL Ticket and a next to nothing cost. Plus, in the event I missed a show at 8 p.m....I could catch it at 11 on the West Coast channel.

Now that I have TiVo, that makes the latter a bit irrelevant but my wife still likes the east/west coast channels for flexibility.

As to channels 80 and 81...let me ask one and all this...

I was watching the Super Bowl last night on KDKA 25.1 yet, in the beginning, as usual for them, they forgot to turn on the "center" speaker. So, just flipped to Channel 80 (New York) and had my sound.

Anyhow, I flipped back to KDKA about a half hour later and the sound was there so I stuck with them...until, I began to get some drop outs (video) that left a green screen. It was long mind you but, after several times, it was a bit annoying.

So, again I switched to Channnel 80 which had no problems.

All of which is to say that Channels 80/81 are nice to have when KDKA is having some of its usual problems. And, since they're free, having that flexible option is a good thing.
post #683 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

I also watched the Super Bowl on KDKA and only had the 'green screen' twice, each time for about 2 secs. I thought KDKA did a great job and I only had audio dropouts a few times (but that could be due to the HTL-HD receiver.)
post #684 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
My experience was the same as these last two reports. In Squirrel Hill, using a silversensor (indoor uhf antenna) I was able to pick up 25.1 OTA throughout the entire game. There were about a half dozen occurances when the picture broke up, followed by a second or two of green screen before returning to normal. As reported earlier, the first part of the broadcast was missing 3.1 of the 5.1 channels.

I may have also experienced the audio dropouts but I'm not sure. During the halftime show it was noticeable that sound would decrease slightly in volume for less than a second. This happened every 10 seconds or and many listeners didn't even notice. I'm unsure whether this was my fault or somewhere farther up the signal path.
post #685 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 AM

I checked this board to see if I was the only one who had dropouts, green screen and audio problems on KDKA OTA 25.1. I see I was not.

I saw the green screen twice. I also had to turn up the sound more than normal to hear the announcers and when the commercials came on they were way too loud.

I live in the North Hills near Ross Park Mall and have had trouble getting WTAE DTV consistantly. Does anyone know what their current power is and if they plan to increase it? I get it about 80% of the time.

Thanks,
Rock
post #686 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 11:59 AM
kkc

Blitz,

My experience was the same as yours...I needed to switch a couple of times during the course of the game as either KDKA or D* had audio or video problems. It was really great to have the D* feed as a backup. I was noticing more problems over he weekend with KDKA...macro-blocking and freezes. A check of the signal strength showed me at 38 to 40, which is way below my normal reading of 85 to 90.

Kevin
post #687 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 12:07 PM

I was really surprised at how much atmospherics come into play with digital TV. KDKA just makes it to my house in Youngstown with my antenna setup. Late Saturday afternoon I had a watchable signal that occassionally broke up. Saturday night it was rock solid and the signal quality meter on my tuner went up a couple notches at night. Sunday morning I couldn't even get a lock. As the day went on it slowly started to come in until by kickoff it was solid again and I had the same signal quality as the night before.

The green screens must have happened before the transmitter since my tuner never unlocked - the signal light stayed on the whole time the screen was green.
post #688 of 4545 Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I did notice that when commericals came on, the volume went way loud. And that when the game came back on, I had to turn the volume back up to hear it.

I, being from close to Youngstown too, experienced very close to what TV21Chief did, in that Sunday morning, I had no signal and that by Sunday afternoon, it was rock solid. I don't have an OTA signal meter (Hughes HTL-HD) so I don't know what my signal strength was. But damn, the game looked amazing on my Z1, simply amazing.
post #689 of 4545 Old 02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by RockScaler
I checked this board to see if I was the only one who had dropouts, green screen and audio problems on KDKA OTA 25.1. I see I was not.

I saw the green screen twice. I also had to turn up the sound more than normal to hear the announcers and when the commercials came on they were way too loud.

I live in the North Hills near Ross Park Mall and have had trouble getting WTAE DTV consistantly. Does anyone know what their current power is and if they plan to increase it? I get it about 80% of the time.

Thanks,
Rock

When will WTAE increase power? Hey, I think WTAE stinks for not doing it long ago and I don't buy any rationale that they can't do it.

If you get WTAE 80% of the time, consider yourself one of the lucky few.

While I cheer D* for putting on Channels 80 and 81 out of New York/LA...I'm looking forward to when they might provide the ABC feed thereby neutering WTAE. If they do, I'd probably not watch WTAE ever again...and certainly not for it's network content.

They need to remember it's 2004...not 1984 or earlier.
post #690 of 4545 Old 02-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
In Squirrel Hill, I have never been able to pick up WTAE. :-(
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page