Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also experienced something similar, but on all stations for a brief period last night. I assumed this was a simple hardware failure with my STB but maybe not...

(cue twighlight zone theme)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I talked to their engineer last week. H said that QED will not be back up until mid April at the soonest.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
Old 02-26-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, whatever came blowing through Oakland that morning must have done some serious damage.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
Old 02-27-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RockScaler
Was anyone able to watch Smallville on the digital (42.1) channel last night? My Dish 6000 showed a signal strength of about 83% but locked at that % and showed a blank screen.
I was just wondering if it was the station or my receiver. All the other channels were fine.

It turns out this is a known bug in the Dish 6000 receiver. For whatever reason (perhaps due to bad PSIP information) the receiver locks up on one channel. You have to delete it and the analog channel then add the digital channel back in. After it is working re-add the analog too.

There is a good list of known 6000 bugs and workarounds on the dbstalk forum.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...light=6000+bug
Rock
Old 02-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Greg C
I talked to their engineer last week. H said that QED will not be back up until mid April at the soonest.

WQED-DT (with PBS-HD) has been back on Comcast channel 790 for at least a couple weeks now, after being out for awhile after that storm. Perhaps they are broadcasting, but not at a sufficient power for OTA?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hondo21
WQED-DT (with PBS-HD) has been back on Comcast channel 790 for at least a couple weeks now, after being out for awhile after that storm. Perhaps they are broadcasting, but not at a sufficient power for OTA?

Really? That's interesting...I always assumed the cable feeds came from OTA antennas to save on costs. Do you think they run fiber or have some kind of sat linkup with QED? I can't imagine they would do that. We are still missing QED on Armstrong. Maybe Comcast got hooked into the national feed until the local comes back?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well what do you know... QED-HD is back on Armstrong.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Cable gets a direct feed from the stations, as does satellite. The engineer said it's available via cable, but since most of my client's have a combo of sat and off-air, it doesn't help me.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
Crestron DMC-E
Old 03-01-2004, 10:17 AM

KUDOS TO WTAE!

The Oscars looked and sounded FANTASTIC last night OTA! Their signal was uncharacteristically strong. Very few dropouts. A+++++
Old 03-02-2004, 05:58 AM

Hi. I live in Pittsburgh zip 15224 and just installed a dish 811. I purchased a silver sensor and can receive most local channels but have one problem I am trying to solve. My main channels of interest are KDKA (310), WPXI (278), WPGH (318), WCWB (318). I have the antenna on a 6 foot bookcase next to my home theater setup pointed at roughly 300 degrees. In this position with the antenna elements in a horizontal position (parallel to the floor I receive WPXI, WPGH, and WCWB with signals all measuring between 80 and 90 on the meeter but cannot receive KDKA. If I turn the elements horizontal (perpendicular to the floor) while keeping the antenna in the same location and pointing the same direction I receive KDKA with readings close to 90 but lose the other 3 stations. Any ideas or help would be appreciated as my watching spans all 4 channels and I'd hate to have to make this change to the antenna all the time. Should I get a different antenna as I bought this from best buy and can return it but I have read such positive experiences here that I thought I'd give the Silver Sensor a try. Really trying to avoid outside antenna if possible. Thanks.

Bill
Old 03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by guins
KUDOS TO WTAE!

The Oscars looked and sounded FANTASTIC last night OTA! Their signal was uncharacteristically strong. Very few dropouts. A+++++

That's nice...I got my usual NO SIGNAL strength or picture from WTAE.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:02 PM

I would take the antenna back and buy a antenna preamplifier combo for the same price and then put it on your roof or in your attic.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:36 PM

zmn668

I live about 8 miles North of the city. I tried several antennas including a Rat Shack "HDTV" antenna, but nothing beat a 60's technology 4 bay bowtie in front of a wire mesh screen. I blew the dust off it at Trader Horn's. I have it mounted on the pole under my Dish and use a 10db preamp. I heard Channel Master makes a 15db preamp but I haven't found one yet. But since WTAE DT has been coming in pretty well the last few weeks I haven't looked.

Since all of Pittsburgh's HDTV stations are in the UHF band (at least for now) a UHF antenna works fine. The wider antenna's like the Radio Shack HDTV (that looked like a swept wing fighter jet) don't help much and are overkill.

BTW - WQED DT OTA is still at 0%

Rock
Old 03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I had great luck with a Radio Shack antenna preamp, it improved my WTAE signal in Cranberry about 20% back when I was using OTA.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Can anyone recommend a good professional installer in the Pittsburgh area? I already have a DirecTV dish installed, and am currently using a set top antenna for HD reception.

However, I'm interested in hiring someone to install a rooftop antenna, and run some additional RG-6 cable from the built-in multiswitch on the dish to my TiVo. The new RG-6 would probably have to be run on the exterior of the house, then need to go through about 12 feet of drywall.

If anyone has a recommendation for a professional installer, or have a general idea as to how much an installation like this might run, I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks,
tzest
Old 03-04-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
oooooook....not to get off track, but does anyone know if the DVI output is enabled on the Comcast boxes?

We are in Shadyside (15232) and DVI IS enabled. Check the firmware version -- if it is 7.07 or greater DVI should work.

mds
Old 03-05-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by tzest
Can anyone recommend a good professional installer in the Pittsburgh area? I already have a DirecTV dish installed, and am currently using a set top antenna for HD reception.

However, I'm interested in hiring someone to install a rooftop antenna, and run some additional RG-6 cable from the built-in multiswitch on the dish to my TiVo. The new RG-6 would probably have to be run on the exterior of the house, then need to go through about 12 feet of drywall.

If anyone has a recommendation for a professional installer, or have a general idea as to how much an installation like this might run, I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks,
tzest

Yes...with pleasure. Contact Greg Calvimontes of Pittsburgh Custom Home Theater at (412) 362-1273. From my experience, he's the best and his rates are reasonable...certainly far better than that of Digital Visions.

Long story short, as a first generation DirecTV customer, when I wanted to upgrade and install my new Pioneer Elite 610, DirecTiVo and Sammy TS160, I first had Radio Shack come out. Those knuckleheads couldn't pick up one of the satellites and said, "you don't want that anyhow because it's for HDTV"...to which I said: "Duhh...what do you think this TV is and why do you think you're here? Now, please...GO AWAY!!"

I then got Digital Visions out and they were much better but they still lacked the OTA experience necessary and could only pull in KDKA for me.

Somehow, I just happened upon Greg and immediately I could tell he knew what he was doing. He also got WPXI for me and even WTAE though that went away about a year ago...which is why I don't like management at WTAE.

Anyhow, all told...I spent about 2+ years on here and searching everywhere throughout Pittsburgh for someone that truly knew what they were doing before finding Greg.

Right now, I'm building a new home and Greg is doing all the Home Theater work for me. Working with DirecTV hasn't been fun because they insist on using their installers which I refuse to let them do though I did compromise by letting them put up the dish and individual receivers in other rooms. No way do I want them messing with my H/T room and my other HDTV in my new great room!

So, there you have it...call Greg and in so doing you've just saved yourself 2+ years of the aggravation I went through. But then, that's one of the purposes of AVS Forum.

Good luck...(I'll also send this to you via PM)
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM

Anybody besides myself have difficulty getting 53.1 tonight? I am in Greensburg.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:24 PM

Did WTAE boost their signal today? I live in Uniontown and I never could pull it in before, now it comes in like a champ :-)
Old 03-13-2004, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by traganoo
Did WTAE boost their signal today? I live in Uniontown and I never could pull it in before, now it comes in like a champ :-)

Mine still sucks..."0" strength. Yours will soon go out too. Every blue moon when the stars align right and the clouds are just so over your house, you'll pull it in.

But...don't be fooled. It's just a teaser...
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 AM

Upcoming NCAA tournament....

Wouldn't it be nice if KDKA would braodcast ONLY the HD games on their digital transmission and show the analog games (which unfortuanately includes Pitt) on channel 2? Does anyone know someone at KDKA that can make this happen?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

They have done this in the past. I don't know about last year, but 2 years ago, KDKA analog showed the Pitt game, and KDKA-DT showed a game involving an ACC team(can't remember which)

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
Crestron DMC-E
Old 03-16-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I live in Uniontown too, so I have some questions for you.

I was holding out for Charter to begin offering HDTV in our area.

Also I was thinking about OTA by purchasing my own tuner and antenna
and getting my locals for free. If I could get locals in Hd, I would be happy
enough and drop Charter in a heartbeat, most of my tv viewing are the
locals.

Have you ever tried the Silver Sensor antenna?

What HD stations are you able to get with your antenna?

What SD stations are you able to get with your antenna?

I've had these questions since buying an HDTV, but I didn't want to sink
alot of money buying a tuner and antenna plus installation to find out
that I couldn't receive much.

According to antennaweb's location map I would need the biggest antenna,
also according to their stations location on the map, my neighbors house
is directly in front of the path for most of the Pittsburgh Stations. I've also
read at avs that the silver sensor solved alot of reception problems.

Angelo
Old 03-16-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Upcoming NCAA tournament....

Wouldn't it be nice if KDKA would braodcast ONLY the HD games on their digital transmission and show the analog games (which unfortuanately includes Pitt) on channel 2? Does anyone know someone at KDKA that can make this happen?

That would be a great idea. Then we could watch whichever game was most exciting or split the screen and watch both.

Is there a website that gives which games will be in HD? I checked the CBS and KDKA sites and couldn't find anything.
Rock
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RockScaler
That would be a great idea. Then we could watch whichever game was most exciting or split the screen and watch both.

Is there a website that gives which games will be in HD? I checked the CBS and KDKA sites and couldn't find anything.
Rock

FYI - The HDTV sites are
St. Louis (1st round)
KC (Second Weekend)
SA (Final Four)

All games from just these sites will be HDTV. No Pitt unless they make it to FF.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:11 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Angelo M
[b]I live in Uniontown too, so I have some questions for you.

I was holding out for Charter to begin offering HDTV in our area.

Also I was thinking about OTA by purchasing my own tuner and antenna
and getting my locals for free. If I could get locals in Hd, I would be happy
enough and drop Charter in a heartbeat, most of my tv viewing are the
locals.

Have you ever tried the Silver Sensor antenna?

What HD stations are you able to get with your antenna?

What SD stations are you able to get with your antenna?

I have a channel master 4228 and the 7777 preamp. I cannot pull any pgh digital stations currently... My day of digital WTAE was short lived :-( I can get digital NBC and FOX from johnstown. and PBS from morgantown. I use VOOM for the majority of my HD viewings. Once I get another nice day and my brave friend comes over we are going to move my 4228 from my chimney to a telephone pole in my yard that doesnt have any power, cable, or phone lines on it, in hopes that it will enable me to get the pgh digital stations. Since uniontown is ~45 miles from the pgh towers I dont think that a silver sensor will do much
Old 03-17-2004, 08:06 AM

Traganoo,

Thanks for the reply. Your reception of locals is pretty confirms what I
suspected. Thats why I'm pretty much holding out for Charter to roll
out HD in our area.

Lack of local HD availability provided by Voom, Dish and Direct is what is
keeping me from jumping to them, because of lousy reception.

Sooner or later all the providers will carry local HD, I'll just have to wait
for it to happen.

Angelo
Old 03-17-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My day of digital WTAE was short lived :-(

I hate to say "I told you so...", but...I TOLD YOU SO! Don't take that personally, instead, take it as yet another slam dunk on WTAE who need to get their power boosted.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:27 PM

Quote:

FYI - The HDTV sites are
St. Louis (1st round)
KC (2nd round site)
SA (Final Four)

All games from just these sites will be HDTV. No Pitt unless they make it to FF.

Thanks. I just hope KDKA DT 25 shows the HD games.
BTW - I checked my brackets and the 1st & Second round games (this weekend) are in KC and the third and 4th (sweet 16 and elite 8) are in St. Louis.
Rock
Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 PM

MAJOR PROPS TO KDKA FOR MULTICASTING THE GAMES!!! I LOVE CBS!!!

WOO HOOO!!

Who needs the DTV NCAA package???