Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4541 Old 09-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KDKA-DT was on and the game in Hi-Def on Comcast. But I continue to see periodic picture breakup/pixelizing (not as bad as it was a week or so ago). Also there is a lip synch issue. Sound/picture slightly out of sync. Obviously not noticeable during game action, but it is for studio reports and commercials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4541 Old 09-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Hmm... Anyone here running a Dish 6000 and receiving KDKA-DT OTA right now? Maybe a call to their engineering dept. is in order.

EDIT: Problem solved. I found the fix on DBS Talk. I never saw this bug in the two years I've owned this thing.

Symptom: Signal strength wise, you should be able to get this channel in just fine. Its coming in at better than 50%, you can add it to the channel line up, but when you go to watch it, it just sits there, the signal meter locks up and after a while, the unit either reboots or you get knocked out to another channel either at the beginning of the line up or just adjacent to the channel you where trying to watch.

Reason: Something funky in the PSIP? Don't know.

Work Around: Delete both that Digital channel and if there is a corresponding Analog channel for that one, delete it too. So if 45.1 is locking up and you also have 45.00 analog added, delete them both. Then re-add only the digital 45.1 channel to your line up. If should come in Ok and you should be able to view programming on it. If so, then you can try and re-add the Analog channel after the digital has been working.

Gary
post #993 of 4541 Old 09-12-2004, 06:30 PM

KDKA on Comcast was pretty much perfect pictrure-wise. There was a pretty bad lip-sync issue, but for a football game, that really doesn't matter. I switched to OTA a couple of times and didn't notice any problems, but that was probably only for a total of 5 minutes.
post #994 of 4541 Old 09-12-2004, 06:41 PM

Hello Fellow Pittsburghers

I have Comcast cable with a 6200 set-top box connected to a 2HD (Z2) via DVI. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my INHD channels do not fill the entire 16x9 screen. There is aways a narrow black bar at the bottom of these channels. Also on certain channels there seems to be either a pink flickering line at the bottom of the screen, or a very narrow strip of digital pixelation at the top of the screen, or a very narrow strip of the picture at the top of the screen. Anyone else experience these artifacts?

Rich
post #995 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 05:24 AM

Couldn't believe I saw HD for 1st time on Sinclair owned WPGH-DT Fox 53 for yesterday's Eagle's game. Just need a power boost now!

Steelers looked awesome on KDKA.

Jim
post #996 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
I had the exact same problem viewing yesterday's Steeler game as BigG on my DISH 6000. Great signal strength on KDKA-DT (25.01), over 90%, but no picture at all so I missed the game in hi-def. This is the first time this bug has happened to me also.

I took his suggestion and deleted the KDKA Analog channel and everything is fine again. Thanks BigG !
post #997 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KDKA Digital/HD via Adelphia cable here near New Castle had some breakups too, but when I switched over to the analog feed, they were experiencing some problems too.

There was some audio delay, especially in the beginning of the game. But as the game went on, it seemed to inprove. When they went down to field reporter in the third quarter, there was a slight delay in the beginning of her report. But after about 5-6 seconds into it, it matched up. This was while using a LG LST-4200A outputted to a Yamaha HTR-5590 via an optical cord. This was through QAM digital, not OTA.

This next part may be of interest to people who live on the North Side of Pittsburgh, over further North like Wexford, Zelienople, Beaver, etc...

WFMJ(NBC) out of Youngstown now has a sub-channel(20-2) which looks like is going to be used for the digital feed of the WB for OTA people. It currently just has a screen that says,"CBWB coming soon!"

Soon of course could mean 3 months, or a year. Who knows.

This could help people who live too far from receiving(like me) the WB out of Pittsburgh. If you live on the North side of the city, you may be closer to Youngstown, OH to receive it. It also may be operating at a higher power in order to make reception much easier.
post #998 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 06:26 PM

I just got my HD today from Comcast in Pitt. Im watching monday night football right now, and for some reason, the sound is 40% lower than all of the other Dolby 5.1 HD channels. I.e. i can click over to KDKA and Everybody loves Raymond is great sounding, but this damn football game sounds awful. Anyone have any idea or experience something similar?
post #999 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 06:39 PM

Any word on UPN OTA yet?
post #1000 of 4541 Old 09-13-2004, 08:25 PM

WNPA (UPN-19) was originally assigned channel 30 as it's digital transition station. On August 25, 1999 they filled a petition to change the channel assignment to channel 49. As of August 27, 2004 the FCC has neither approved nor denied that petition. Additionally the FCC has not issued the permits that would allow or rulings that would require WNPA to transmit on the originally assigned channel 30.

I believe there are interference issues that prompted WNPA's request to change channel assignments. WNPA also falls within the Canadian border zone that requires negotiation withe the Canadian equivalent of the FCC that may be delaying the matter.

Once a ruling has been made on the petition (yes, it has already been a 5 year wait) and the required construction permits (federal and local) have been issued there will most likely be an addional delay of several months to a year while the necessary hardware is ordered, delivered and installed.

In short, I wouldn't expect WNPA-DT to be on the air anytime soon. Hopefully when it does it will be starting in HD.
post #1001 of 4541 Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sabes35
I just got my HD today from Comcast in Pitt. Im watching monday night football right now, and for some reason, the sound is 40% lower than all of the other Dolby 5.1 HD channels. I.e. i can click over to KDKA and Everybody loves Raymond is great sounding, but this damn football game sounds awful. Anyone have any idea or experience something similar?

I get WTAE OTA. Their volume setting is very low compared to KDKA and it is very annoying. Seems like the commercials are run at the proper level though. I crank up the volume for the HD programs and get my ears blasted during commercials.

Angelo
post #1002 of 4541 Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by veinboy
I had the exact same problem viewing yesterday's Steeler game as BigG on my DISH 6000. Great signal strength on KDKA-DT (25.01), over 90%, but no picture at all so I missed the game in hi-def. This is the first time this bug has happened to me also.

I took his suggestion and deleted the KDKA Analog channel and everything is fine again. Thanks BigG !

I've done this fix several times on my 6000. I also have been having problems with KDKA DT but since others here had been complaining about KDKA's signal I hadn't tried that lately. I guess I'll be deleting the analog and digital 2's tonight and readding them.

Does anyone else get WQED DT remapped to channel 80? That's where my 6000 has put it for a month or so.

I also noticed Smallville's unique 1/3rd split screen last week. Later on it was only about 10% of the bottom of the screen that was on top so I watched it anyways. My wife came in as said why are you watching it like that? (The answer, of course, is that it was in HD)
post #1003 of 4541 Old 09-15-2004, 11:02 AM

Anybody else notice WTAE-DT seems to be off the air?
post #1004 of 4541 Old 09-15-2004, 05:01 PM
kkc

Quote:

Originally posted by roemerj
Anybody else notice WTAE-DT seems to be off the air?

I sure have!! I used to get a fairly reliable 45-52 signal strength with WTAEDT. The past few weeks, I can't seem to get anything higher than 38, regardless of the atmospheric conditions. As a result, I get a lot of macroblocking, audio drops, picture freezes and at times...no picture at all. I've been thinking of adding an amplifier to my Channelmaster 4228 antenna to try and improve things.

Kevin
post #1005 of 4541 Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 AM

I think WTAE-DT is off the air ... I live on Mt. Washington and always get a good lock on WTAE ... but last night there was nothing there. Anyone else???
post #1006 of 4541 Old 09-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by rpeduzzi
I think WTAE-DT is off the air ... I live on Mt. Washington and always get a good lock on WTAE ... but last night there was nothing there. Anyone else???

yup, it definitely appears to be off the air, i get WTAE-DT over cable and its out for me as well, so its definitely out.
post #1007 of 4541 Old 09-16-2004, 11:48 AM

You're welcome vienboy. Yes, I'm finding WTAE is off the air too. Also, QED is remapped again on my 6000 to 80 and KDKA, since I had the problem, has remapped back to 25. I'll be glad when these guys make up their mind where they want to be. 22, 53, 2 and 13 all keep moving around!

Gary
post #1008 of 4541 Old 09-16-2004, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm glad you said that, BigG, I thought my Sony had done a hard reboot or something.

Mark Vidonic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1009 of 4541 Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Latest word from Armstrong regarding Sinclair. This applies to Comcast customers as well I'm afraid.

Quote:

I'm disappointed to tell you, Sinclair Broadcasting has taken a hard line stance to date concerning access to their digital signal. They have not signed a deal anywhere in the country to date. Negotiations are being handled by their corporate office and local officials are not involved. They will shortly start running commercials that "over the air" digital reception is the way to go (ignoring the fact that over 90% of present HD sets don't include a digital tuner). Their present demands foreshadow a difficult retransmission consent process in the future. We will continue trying.

post #1010 of 4541 Old 09-17-2004, 07:20 PM

Wow, what a day. I hope all you Pittsburgers are high and dry. Fortunately, I am.

Gary
post #1011 of 4541 Old 09-17-2004, 08:37 PM

man, the WTAE ABC hd feed isn't even showing up on armstrong now.

thats bad news about FOX Hd.... is anyone in cranberry pulling in fox OTA ? i hate to spend the money for an OTA tuner and a decent antenna, but if its going to be a long time before armstrong adds it i may just to get the world series and the NFL
post #1012 of 4541 Old 09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tipton
man, the WTAE ABC hd feed isn't even showing up on armstrong now.

thats bad news about FOX Hd.... is anyone in cranberry pulling in fox OTA ? i hate to spend the money for an OTA tuner and a decent antenna, but if its going to be a long time before armstrong adds it i may just to get the world series and the NFL

tipton,

I can actually pull in Fox out of Pittsburgh sometimes using an RCA indoor amplified antenna connected to a LG LST-4200A(accepts analog NTSC from cable/OTA, OTA ATSC digital/hd, and CLEAR QAM from cable which the local stations should be transmitted in through your cable Co.). I am all they way up here in New Wilmington, PA, which is about 30-35 miles north of you. I can EASILY get KDKA, and most of the time, WPXI as well.

You should have no problem with using an indoor antenna(an outside 4-bay or 8-bay antenna would obviously be better) to get those stations as I believe they are located more towards the North of Pittsburgh.

And considering how close you are, you could also probably get away a inexpensive OTA Digital/HD receiver. The Sylvania SRZ3000 is on closeout at SEARS stores now. While there may not be many left, if any at all now, you can usually find them for about $120+tax. It is an excellent receiver for the price. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like other receivers, but no sense in spending alot on something that is going to be used for OTA only.
post #1013 of 4541 Old 09-18-2004, 12:08 AM

yeah i will be purchasing the cheapest thing possible that will do the job, as i will only need it for FOX. any recommendations for the least amount i will have to spend to get the job done?
post #1014 of 4541 Old 09-18-2004, 04:48 AM

WTAE-DT is back on line OTA!

Gary
post #1015 of 4541 Old 09-18-2004, 11:34 AM

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to find the Sylvania receiver in the Pittsburgh area Sears stores. I felt like doing some driving last week, and I drove around to the Robinson, Monroeville, Century III, South Hills Village, and Ross Park Mall Sears stores, and none of them had it in stock. I see from their website there are a couple Sears Outlet stores in town that I didn't know existed, nor do I know what they carry, but maybe they have it.

Quote:

Originally posted by STEELERSRULE

And considering how close you are, you could also probably get away a inexpensive OTA Digital/HD receiver. The Sylvania SRZ3000 is on closeout at SEARS stores now. While there may not be many left, if any at all now, you can usually find them for about $120+tax. It is an excellent receiver for the price. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like other receivers, but no sense in spending alot on something that is going to be used for OTA only. [/b]

post #1016 of 4541 Old 09-18-2004, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

tipton,

Another STB to consider is the Zenith HV420 available at Circuit City either on closeout or open box for around the same price as the Sylvania SRZ3000.

I personally didn't particularly care for it. I had the Zenith HV420, the LG LST-3510A STB/DVD player, the Sylvania SRZ3000, and the LG LST-4200A.

Out of those four I rated the Zenith the worst of the bunch, with the LG LST-4200A being the best(it was just released). Along with the LG, the Sylvania was my second favorite and I kept that as well.

Others have vehometly disagreed with my assessment, but it is just an opinion.

Considering your situation, I would strongly consider this unit, BUT ONLY because of availabilty. You can be pretty sure to find them at any Circuit City store, especially down near Monroeville, or Robinson. Consider the one at the Beaver Valley mall as well off of RT.60 North, but that may be a hike for you.

If you find the Sylvania, grab it! But if you need a cheap STB, this Zenith would be your next best option.

Here is the link to the discussion we had in the HDTV HARDWARE FORUM:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=432788

Later
post #1017 of 4541 Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

bump
post #1018 of 4541 Old 09-19-2004, 04:39 AM
GNo

Agtiny,

Since you live here in Cranberry and I assume you have Armstrong, assuming you have the Motorola 6208 cable box, do you find it loud or noisy? I just got my HD setup, and the fan or hard drive noise on this unit is loud. The TV and Directv hard drive/fans are much quieter. Is it worth looking into another box or is this typical.

Also, does anyone know when the next Steelers HD game will be?
post #1019 of 4541 Old 09-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

GNo, yeah the fan noise is a bit annoying. The word on the 6412 box is the noise has been lessened a bit, so we won't have to put up with it for too much longer. I have mine in an enclosed glass case now, but when it was just sitting out it was really loud.
post #1020 of 4541 Old 09-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GNo

Also, does anyone know when the next Steelers HD game will be?

In about 30 minutes. I wasn't expecting to see today's game in HD, but Ken's sticky thread says it is!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page