Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4541 Old 10-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah Wealth is strange... some of the shows look like SD to me, or just really poor quality HD. I haven't watched it much though to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4541 Old 10-16-2004, 01:24 PM

No CBS college game in HD on Saturday. Is their a number to call for the engineering for KDKA to turn it on?
post #1083 of 4541 Old 10-19-2004, 04:45 PM

Status of Armstrong south of the burg (after 3 mos of service)
channels available are KDKA, WTAE, WPXI, WQED, HBO, MAX, SHOW, HDNET MOVIES, and ESPNHD.

The quality and reliability have been mixed. Most reliable, HBO and CineMAX. HDNET and HDNET MOVIES go down for long periods. Armstrong says this is hardware in the Connellsville office that has to be rebooted regularly and they are working with Motorola for a solution. No date estimate. They advised me to call when HDNET drops out so they can page a tech to reboot the equipment

KDKA and WTAE have been out on occasion. I dont pay enough attention to WPXI or WQED to comment on them.

I emailed Armstrong but received no reply on plans (if any) to expand the HD offerings.
post #1084 of 4541 Old 10-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Did you get the 2 new channels they just added: TNT-HD and Wealth? I assumed they had the same channels in all locations.
post #1085 of 4541 Old 10-20-2004, 04:54 PM

Not yet. Armstrong Connellsville office has only had HD since July 2004. I switched over from E* as soon as they had it..already had their broadband. I got my PVR the second week they were hooking them up.

KDKA question..during the Steeler/Cowboys, the digital audio was silent during commercials or any time KDKA switched from the game feed. But the game feed audio came through fine. Is this a problem with the MOTO 620X box, KDKAs problem, or my error. The regular analog audio from the MOTO box was normal at all times.
post #1086 of 4541 Old 10-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Ah, I see. I'm sure you'll get the new channels soon. I skipped most of those commercials, but those I did see were fine.
post #1087 of 4541 Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Hello!

Newbie to HD wondering if I can get OTA broadcasts from Pittsburgh to where I live near Uniontown, about 30-40 miles away. There isn't any cable here, so I have regular DirectTV. I'm trying to determine whether I can get by without getting DirectTV HD right away. Only a few analog channels are receivable here OTA, and they are horrid. Does HD OTA have the same range?

At this distance I'm assuming an indoor antenna won't suffice, correct? I'm mostly interested in getting Steeler games OTA for now. I plan on eventually getting the Direct HD w/NFL package. Thanks.
post #1088 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Heinz Werner
Hello!

Newbie to HD wondering if I can get OTA broadcasts from Pittsburgh to where I live near Uniontown, about 30-40 miles away. There isn't any cable here, so I have regular DirectTV. I'm trying to determine whether I can get by without getting DirectTV HD right away. Only a few analog channels are receivable here OTA, and they are horrid. Does HD OTA have the same range?

At this distance I'm assuming an indoor antenna won't suffice, correct? I'm mostly interested in getting Steeler games OTA for now. I plan on eventually getting the Direct HD w/NFL package. Thanks.

check www.antennaweb.com you can type your address and zip code in there to get some idea as to what you can get.

like you i never really understood how digital/hd channels could come in well OTA, especially since analog channels barely come in. however, the HD channels come in perfect OTA its completely different. i live in cranberry and i can get ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX at full signal strength with an indoor rca aplified antenna bought at wal mart from all the broadcasting pittsburgh channels. the only OTA channel i can't seem to get in is the WB (can anyone get in their signal?)

i have been getting all the local HD channels via armstrong cable and had bought a tuner just to get FOX. however, now that i can get all the local HD channels in i am also switching to directv just for the sunday ticket package. right now there is a retailer on ebay selling the HDtivo and dish for new directv subscribers for an amazing price, plus you get 4 months of programming free when signing up for sunday ticket.... that made it worth it to me.
post #1089 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Hello!

Hi there.

I live in Dunbar and receive NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and PBS HD channels from PGH with a small uhf antenna and inline amp. I have a Sony HD Sat box that gets both Directv and OTA HD. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org. They are pretty much spot on as far as antenna requirements go...at least in my experience.
post #1090 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 PM

just wondering.... is anyone in the pittsburgh area able to get the WB's hd channel via OTA ?
post #1091 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 02:31 PM

I can receive it. I live in the Dormont area of Pittsburgh and it comes in clearly for me.
post #1092 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the help (and link) guys.

Since mprinkey, who's about 20 minutes away from where I live, gets all those stations OTA I'll try an amplified indoor antenna first.

One more thing, a stupid question probably, but I'll ask anyway: Are all the Steeler games broadcast OTA in HD? I hope this is the case 'cause I really don't want to fork out another grand right now for DirectTV's HD-PVR as I just bought my first HDTV (Hit 51S715).

Thanks again.
post #1093 of 4541 Old 10-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

No, not all Steeler games are in HD. Steelers are usually on CBS, who picks 3 games to do in HD each week. They don't decide on which until a week or two ahead of time. Here is the schedule:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/schedules/page/nfl

As shown, this week vs. the Pats will be HD.

I believe that Fox is doing most of their NFL games in HD, but I don't have OTA capability right now and it isn't on cable -- thanks a lot *&%#$ Sinclair Broadcasting -- so I don't get it ). So next week vs. Eagles should be HD OTA.
post #1094 of 4541 Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 AM
GNo

Quote:

Originally posted by tipton
check www.antennaweb.com you can type your address and zip code in there to get some idea as to what you can get.

like you i never really understood how digital/hd channels could come in well OTA, especially since analog channels barely come in. however, the HD channels come in perfect OTA its completely different. i live in cranberry and i can get ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX at full signal strength with an indoor rca aplified antenna bought at wal mart from all the broadcasting pittsburgh channels. the only OTA channel i can't seem to get in is the WB (can anyone get in their signal?)

i have been getting all the local HD channels via armstrong cable and had bought a tuner just to get FOX. however, now that i can get all the local HD channels in i am also switching to directv just for the sunday ticket package. right now there is a retailer on ebay selling the HDtivo and dish for new directv subscribers for an amazing price, plus you get 4 months of programming free when signing up for sunday ticket.... that made it worth it to me.

Tipton,

I too live in Cranberry (it seems a lot of us on this thread do), and I was wondering, what model indoor antenna do you have and amp also, what receiver. I would like to mimic your setup to see if it works for me. (I live near the Traco window plant).
post #1095 of 4541 Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GNo
Tipton,

I too live in Cranberry (it seems a lot of us on this thread do), and I was wondering, what model indoor antenna do you have and amp also, what receiver. I would like to mimic your setup to see if it works for me. (I live near the Traco window plant).

i am using the sylvania srz3000 (i believe that is the number, its the only digital tuner sylvania makes i'm pretty sure) tuner and an rca amplified indoor antenna (i can't remember the number, but its sold at wal mart for about $30). if you are interested in the sylvania tuner i would check ebay, i ended up getting it for about $75.

when i first used this tuner i got everything but the wb and abc. however, after moving the antenna to the top of my two story townhouse and scanning channels again i got abc to come in. i brought the antenna back downstairs and found a spot where abc still comes in and the antenna is only a few feet away from my tv. where this antenna is placed now i get cbs, abc, nbc, and pbs at 95 signal stength and abc comes in at 85-90 signal strength and i never have to move the antenna at all, everything comes in perfectly how it is set.

my hd tivo arrives tomorrow and i have read that the OTA tuner isn't as good so i am hoping i still get all these channels after the changeover from armstrong to directv. since the OTA hd channels come in at such a great power it was an easy decision to make the switch to directv with their 4 months of programming free and the sunday ticket package... and with the hd tivo (which for a new customer i got for $300 less than the SRLP) i can record all the OTA hd channels, and since it doesn't look like FOX will be added to armstrong any time soon this was another point in directv's advantage.

oh, i live just off of haine school road i wouldn't think our locations are that different so i think you should be able to get all the same channels i do with that equipment.

now if i could just get the WB OTA, i would love to record Lord of the Rings in HD in Nov.
post #1096 of 4541 Old 10-27-2004, 05:48 PM

Hi all. Thought I'd jump in here...
I live in the Greensburg area. Does anyone else live around here that has gotten the OTA to work? If so, which channels and how well? I've tried on the Terk antennas on the roof and got 2 things: Jack and S$@#. THis was a non amplified antenna though. Round 2 will include a BFA (big f'in antenna) and an Amp.

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------
Rob Megliorino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1097 of 4541 Old 10-27-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by llama
Hi all. Thought I'd jump in here...
I live in the Greensburg area. Does anyone else live around here that has gotten the OTA to work? If so, which channels and how well? ...

Ilama,

I live in Cherry Creek across from Westmoreland Comunity College. I get all OTA except WB, 40.1. FOX a little shaky at times. I have large Radio Shack antennae in attic. I run the antennae lead into a ChannelPlus allinone distribution amp. I am fortunate live on west side of hill so not much blocking westward line of sight and most of the stations line up so don't have to move antennae.

Someday going to move antennae outdoors to improve reception.

I have SONY SATHD300 in case your curious.

Jim
post #1098 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 02:39 AM
GNo

Tipton,

Thanks for the info. You and I sound like we are in the same decision mode. I am a current D* subscriber and I have added Armstrong to get locals. I would like to get an HDTivo (I already have 3 SDTivos) for D*, but I don't want to lose my locals. I know we can get CBS through D* since it's an O&O, but I would like to try and keep ABC, NBC and PBS. Let me know how your HDTivo reception is and I may get one myself. I'll check Walmart for the RCA antenna. My wife would never let me put up an outdoor antenna, but I could put one in the attic.
post #1099 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 04:32 AM

roemerj, thanks for the reply. These are the digital stations?

Unfortunatly, I live over by Lynch Field in a sorta vally.. I just my mileage may vary (but at least now I know it's possiable)

thxs again.

-------------------------
Rob Megliorino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1100 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Today's
TV Q&A in the Post-Gazette
has a question about WNPA:
Quote:
Is WNPA ever going digital? I would dearly love to see "Star Trek: Enterprise" in hi-def. After watching every other Pittsburgh station go hi-def, I'm wondering if their management is asleep at the wheel.

-- Robert Heilbronner, Forest Hills

No one is sleeping at WNPA, but the same may not be true of the Federal Communications Commission.

WNPA general manager Chris Pike said it all dates to when WNPA was moved from the Johnstown to Pittsburgh market in 1997. Digital channel positions had already been allocated. WNPA was to be on digital Channel 30, which would be fine in the Johnstown market, but in Pittsburgh, digital Channel 30 would come into conflict with a digital channel in an adjacent market.

Before Pike's arrival earlier this year, the station had petitioned the FCC to change the digital channel allocation for WNPA to Channel 49. Pike said WNPA continues to await the FCC's approval. Once it comes through, Pike said, WNPA will begin moving toward broadcasting in digital.

post #1101 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mprinkey
Hi there.

I live in Dunbar and receive NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and PBS HD channels from PGH with a small uhf antenna and inline amp. I have a Sony HD Sat box that gets both Directv and OTA HD.

I live in Connellsville but never tried an antenna because when I enter my address into antennaweb.org it shows I can't receive any HD channels. I get the local HD channels from Armstrong cable but also have an HDTV tivo from DTV. I called Direct TV but was told I can only get CBSHD. If I could get ABC, NBC ad Fox OTA, I would drop Armstrong HD.

Does antennaweb.org list any HD channels for your address?
post #1102 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gmfbts
I live in Connellsville but never tried an antenna because when I enter my address into antennaweb.org it shows I can't receive any HD channels. I get the local HD channels from Armstrong cable but also have an HDTV tivo from DTV. I called Direct TV but was told I can only get CBSHD. If I could get ABC, NBC ad Fox OTA, I would drop Armstrong HD.

Does antennaweb.org list any HD channels for your address?

I was wondering the same thing. Antennaweb showed only one station for me as well, Morgantown's PBS station. After reading mprinkey's post I believe I'll try an amplified indoor antenna first, and if that doesn't work get an outside one.

I'm about 30-40 miles from the 'burgh stations. Anyone think I'm wasting my time and should just go ahead and get the outdoor antenna? I can't set up my new TV until Saturday afternoon at the earliest , and that means I've got until oh, 4 o'clock or so on Sunday , to have the set connected, tweaked, and an antenna up and working. Sure would hate to have to settle for SD knowing this important game is being broadcast in HD!

This Sunday's game will be my first Steeler game on the new set. Luckily it's in HD, so I'd really hate to miss that opportunity because of something as simple a ****** antenna or worse, the wrong type! Does CBSHD have a strong signal?
post #1103 of 4541 Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. Antennaweb showed only one station for me as well, Morgantown's PBS station. After reading mprinkey's post I believe I'll try an amplified indoor antenna first, and if that doesn't work get an outside one.

I'm about 30-40 miles from the 'burgh stations. Anyone think I'm wasting my time and should just go ahead and get the outdoor antenna? I can't set up my new TV until Saturday afternoon at the earliest , and that means I've got until oh, 4 o'clock or so on Sunday , to have the set connected, tweaked, and an antenna up and working. Sure would hate to have to settle for SD knowing this important game is being broadcast in HD!

This Sunday's game will be my first Steeler game on the new set. Luckily it's in HD, so I'd really hate to miss that opportunity because of something as simple a ****** antenna or worse, the wrong type! Does CBSHD have a strong signal?

i live in cranberry and antennaweb tells me that i can't get abc.... however i can pull it in at 90 signal strength with an amplified indoor rca antenna purchased at wal mart. alot of it has to do with the tuner i think. i would suggest going in purchasing an indoor antenna for around $30 and if it doesn't work just take it back... hell, wal mart takes anything back let them be your guinea pig because to get a decent outdoor antenna most likely you will have to order it online and it won't be here before sunday.

on another note, how much does it suck that trick or treat (at least in cranberry) falls at 6pm sunday which will most likely be doing the most tense parts of the pats/steelers game, which is only the biggest game we've had in years. looks like i'll be pulling the candy in a bowl please take one option
post #1104 of 4541 Old 10-29-2004, 03:29 AM
GNo

tipton,

Is this the antenna you are using from Walmart?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3996%3A4536
post #1105 of 4541 Old 10-29-2004, 03:38 AM

Hmm, I thought as much. Thanks tipton..

Radio Shack told me I could get indoor antenna first, if it doesn't work to take it back and the price of it would go toward a bigger one. The tuner I have is the one built-in to my Hitachi TV.

Is there any other kind of signal booster I should know about?

That's a bummer about Trick or Treat in your neck of the woods man! There would have to be a fire or some other similar catastrophe for me to miss this game!
post #1106 of 4541 Old 10-29-2004, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GNo
tipton,

Is this the antenna you are using from Walmart?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3996%3A4536

yup that is the antenna i am using.

just got my directv and HD tivo installed today. everything works great, i am still receiving all of the OTA channels aside from the WB.

IS anyone in cranberry able to get the WB hd channel ?

man, this HD tivo is awesome.
post #1107 of 4541 Old 10-31-2004, 01:18 PM
GNo

Why is the Steelers game not in HD? I'm not getting in either on Armstrong or OTA.
post #1108 of 4541 Old 10-31-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GNo
Why is the Steelers game not in HD? I'm not getting in either on Armstrong or OTA.

THIS IS THE LAST STRAW!!! I get the Directv package to see most games in HD and now I cannot see my local team in HD because of their stupid local coverage blackout rule. I AM NOT RENEWING NEXT YEAR!!!

If KDKA isn't going to show the game in HD, then I should be able to watch the Directv broadcast that I pay $200/year for!!!!
post #1109 of 4541 Old 10-31-2004, 01:29 PM
GNo

Ok. 4:27 and now its in HD.
post #1110 of 4541 Old 10-31-2004, 04:49 PM
WRL

Quote:

Originally posted by GNo
Ok. 4:27 and now its in HD.

I was starting to get a little upset too. I had friends over and I was bragging about how good the game looks in HD,and then it starts and no HD!!! All turned out well tho, game was in HD and the Steelers kicked a$$
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page