Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 4554 Old 03-31-2003, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone is interested in an ISF calibration for their TV/monitor, I'm trying to arrange with the folks from Avical (www.avical.com) for an extension of their May Columbus, OH trip to our area. They tell me that they already had one other inquiry, and if I can round up "a few others" (3? 4?) they could tack it on to the end or set up a Pittsburgh-specific trip.

I'm not sure of their specialization, but they posted on the Samsung, Pioneer, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi forums. They also list testimonials from Hitachi, Sony, and Panasonic on their website.

Shoot me a message at spear@zbzoom.net if you are interested. The full menu of services are on their site - basic ISF calibration is $275 for direct view, $325 for rear projection, $375 for front projection, and they have a list of add-on services and a price list.

Contact them directly with questions about their service, specific models, etc. Once you read their site, you know as much as I do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 4554 Old 04-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I emailed KDKA yesterday asking them to stop sending DD5.1 when they should be sending 2.0. I also asked if they could remove the logo and got this response.

Quote:

The logo is here to stay until it becomes the principal channel, say 5 years from now. Then, we'll see.

No mention from them about fixing the 5.1 though.
post #213 of 4554 Old 04-02-2003, 02:04 PM

All the stations need to do is put the ID/Logo bug in a timer that turns it on for 5 seconds at the top of the hour., but that would be far to easy.
post #214 of 4554 Old 04-02-2003, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bryan27
All the stations need to do is put the ID/Logo bug in a timer that turns it on for 5 seconds at the top of the hour., but that would be far to easy.

Since the Gulf War II started, we have removed our time & temp "bug" and used that piece of equipment to put a headline ticker at the bottom of the screen. We have received numerous calls complaining it's gone. I have spent the day making provisions to put it back in. I can tell you that for every 10 calls we get against something, well get 10 more for it.
post #215 of 4554 Old 04-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Robert...Don't be a stranger.
post #216 of 4554 Old 04-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

The best example of how a logo should be done is WTAE-DT. They flash a small grey logo probably every 30 minutes, or whenever it's convenient during a commercial break.
post #217 of 4554 Old 04-03-2003, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by agtiny
The best example of how a logo should be done is WTAE-DT. They flash a small grey logo probably every 30 minutes, or whenever it's convenient during a commercial break.

I find it hard to believe WTAE-DT can do anything right...but then, how would I or most of those not next door to them or those living on top of a mountain know since few can pick up their signal?

Ya think?
post #218 of 4554 Old 04-03-2003, 09:37 AM

I haven't seen anything that explains the purpose of the logo bug and why it's necessary from a broadcaster's perspective, so here goes.
Back in the days when channel 2 on your TV was always KDKA, 4 was WTAE, and 11 was WIIC (am I dating myself?) There wasn't a problem with the viewers identifying stations they watch for the ratings book. People that could get more than one network affiliate (like Pittsburgh/Cleveland here in Youngstown) had no problem telling the difference between 3 and 11. Now with cable, it's a different story. On Warner Cable in Trumbull county in the Youngstown market, WFMJ - NBC - CH 21 is on channel 3 while WKYC - NBC - channel 3 is on channel 6. Not adjacnet, but darn close! Trumbull is north of Youngstown and because WKYC has significant viewership, they are allowed to be carried along with us. There is confusion among many of the viewers as to who they're watching. Similarly, I'm sure there are areas where KDKA and the CBS affiliate in Youngstown are both on cable systems. We brand our local programs continuously with a logo/time/temp bug that I receive an occasional complaint about. More often I get complaints when it's not on. I try to keep it as unobtrusive and see through as the marketing and promotion people let me, but as you can see from almost every cable and broadcast channel, "bugs" are here to stay. If you're really into "screen clutter" tune into Headline News. Kind of makes that bug in the corner invisible in comparison.
post #219 of 4554 Old 04-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Blitzburgh
I find it hard to believe WTAE-DT can do anything right...but then, how would I or most of those not next door to them or those living on top of a mountain know since few can pick up their signal?

Ya think?

Hehe, sign up with Armstrong cable man. I'm going that route when I move.

Robert: Thanks for the info...I suppose stations have to "dumb it down" for the stupid users who can't tell what station they're watching and need a constant reminder.
post #220 of 4554 Old 04-07-2003, 05:59 AM

Two weeks on, and things are going much better in the OTA world.

I can get all but WTAE reliably with the double bow tie in my home theater room, just turning the bow tie a little.

Last night, I took a long piece of coax and the double bow tie to my third floor window facing south/southeast. Voila!! WTAE with a signal strenght of 85%!

Which brings me to my question: does anyone know a good cost effective antenna guy in the East End. Not too keen on the ladder to the roof three flights up.

Atlantis looked and sounded amazing, although the volume seemed low compared to most other channels.

It's a fine line between clever and stupid...
post #221 of 4554 Old 04-07-2003, 06:14 AM

Rich in Pitt, I had Eliab do my set a little over a year ago. No complaints here. He did a great job. If any of you guys are on the fence about getting a calibration I highly recommend it. Especially if it's done by Avical!

Gary
post #222 of 4554 Old 04-07-2003, 08:34 PM

Ntice this evening WTAE 51.1 and WPGH 53.1 are now remapped to 4.1 and 43.1 respectively. Additionally, WTAE is sending out program description in guide now.
post #223 of 4554 Old 04-10-2003, 08:59 PM

I noticed a few people were having issues with video "stuttering" on KDKA (25-1). Are people still seeing this? Anyone talk to KDKA about it?

Not looking forward to the Masters and this annoyance
post #224 of 4554 Old 04-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Lots of problems tonight during the first half of CSI.. dropouts, green screens (which still showed the KDKA logo interestingly), the usual stuttering video. We had to turn on closed-captions.
post #225 of 4554 Old 04-10-2003, 09:56 PM

Yep, I noticed the major drop outs, green screens, etc... this evening. It got so bad that I went over to analog to watch it, and things have to get really bad to resort to that level (I'll watch pixilation first). I even tried WTRF, which seems to be working a little better today, but it was doing some kind of weird slow motion and voice sinc problems.

I found out what my reception problem is. It's the FM station next door. While they were off the air I hooked up an amplifier and wow I got the 2 local stations (32 & 57) and improved signal on 25,38,42,43, & 48, WTAE and WPCB started showing some signal (though not enough to lock). I tried swiching the FM block on that is on the power enjector, but when the station went back on I was just left with 25,38,48,43, and the in & out 42. Would adding an FM block before the pre-amp and turning on the one on the power enjector clear up the FM interference enough to get a constant signal on 42 and get 32-WTRF & 57-WTOV like I did when the station was off the air?
post #226 of 4554 Old 04-11-2003, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As far as the logos, guys...let me give you an example of how bad it can get..my finacee works for a CBS affiliate in Ft. Myers, FL that's assigned channel 11 OTA. However, on all of the cable systems there, they are assigned 5. So, they are now known as WINK5. Can you imagine how the few who are pulling that station in via OTA are confused when they see that? The same in Charlotte, the NBC affiliate is known as NBC6 for cable even though they are 36. (which actually is the station Ted Turner sold in the 1970's to help get start up funds for WTBS)

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #227 of 4554 Old 04-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

I spoke with George at the KDKA transmission tower this afternoon. We were both able to watch the Masters while on the phone together. He was able to see the "stuttering" video problems that we have been experiencing. He said the reason that they had not seen it before then was because "nobody down here looks at the picture long enough" to see something that happens that quickly. Anyway, the good news is that the problem has been confirmed by them & they will fix it.

Sounds good to me!
post #228 of 4554 Old 04-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, did he mention anything about the horrible breakups from last night? I assume they are gone now...
post #229 of 4554 Old 04-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

No.
post #230 of 4554 Old 04-12-2003, 08:42 PM

Great news that they actually saw the video stutter problem - hopefully a fix won't take too, too long.
post #231 of 4554 Old 04-13-2003, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm trying to see if there's still an audio dropout problem with my HD200. It appears that the only problem I'm currently having is with KDKA, and several others have also reported problems with that station. Are those of you having audio dropouts on KDKA using something other than a Sony HD200/ZenithHD520? I'm just trying to make sure it's KDKA and not still a STB issue.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #232 of 4554 Old 04-13-2003, 10:25 PM

Hi all, I just got my equipment the other day to get OTA HDTV. I live in Elizabeth and get most of the channels the www.titantv.com said I would, but guess what channel I don't get.....thats right WTAE, their tower is in the township where I live, about 5-7 miles away. I put my antenna several places, on the roof, balcony, fence, and others, and still no WTAE. I turned the amp off, nothing, I turned the amp on and hooked up a 10dB attenuator, still WTAE is non existent, I turned the amp off with the attenuator. I'm starting to think that WTAE does not exist in HD. I get channels from much further away with %80+ signal strength. Not that I really care for ABC's programming it would be nice to get it just because it's free. I have Comcast cable and I don't see them picking up the HD ball anytime soon, they are too busy raising their rates.
post #233 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 08:00 AM

Agent Fletcher, I think many of us will have to learn to live without ABC for a while. WTAE has a directional antenna, as does many DTV stations. There is hope though. WTAE has a Construction Permit to raise their power.

Basically what is the signal like? Is it steady or does it bounce around? If it bounces around the problem is severe multi-path (ghosting on analog). A ghost killer would probably help.

WPCB transmits from the same general area and I'm starting to receive some of their test transmissions, but still nothing but a small blip from WTAE.
post #234 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Dave,

I also have audio problems with KDKA. I have an older Princeton Graphics receiver, and the other stations are fine. However, the audio on KDKA screws up every couple of minutes, and all the voice start sounding like Alvin and the chipmunks. It makes it impossible to watch CBS, even with the beautiful picture.
post #235 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the report. I didn't know that Princeton ever made an HD receiver. Is it OTA only or satellite?

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #236 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 03:06 PM

There no signal on WTAE. Not on 51 or 4. I tried with the antenna in several different places with different power settings.
post #237 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What channel is WPCB, guys?

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #238 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's 50.
post #239 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 04:57 PM

WPCB is on 50. I haven't looked at them recently, but this morning they didn't have any audio. I don't think they are at their full power or on all the time while they are testing as the signal is only there in the morning. I wonder how they got anything up so fast since the FCC issued them an extension not more than 2 weeks ago to go on the air in July.

Now if the FCC will act on WNPA's apps!!!

Agent, is there anything between you and the tower (can you actually see the tower)? It sounds like something is in the way, like a hill. Is there an FM station near by? I have found that close FM stations will mess with the DTV signal.
post #240 of 4554 Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 PM

I can't see the tower from my house, but I can see a few hundred yards up the street. The tower is on one the highest hills in the county, and the highest in the township, so there is nothing taller blocking reception.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page