Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #541 of 9578 Old 10-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Winegard HD8200 and have no problems getting all of the LA stations OTA. I would like to know if it is possible to orient my antenna in such a way as to pick up the San Diego stations as well. Is anyone currently doing that? I am in Newport Beach. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9578 Old 10-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Anyone besides me have problems with last week's Father of the Pride? Mine was missing all audio at times, just the voices at times (like center channel was missing), and had video breakups too.

See profile for new equipment list
post #543 of 9578 Old 10-05-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
mikem01 asked the question in another thread whether KCOP would broadcast Enterprise, or anything, in HD soon. The moderator closed that thread and said to continue the diiscussion here.

Since this is one of my two biggest HD gripes I thought I would comment. (My other big HD gripe is lack of firewire on satellite STB). Someone else in still another thread said they talked to KCOP engineering and they stated that there were no current HD plans.

I would add this really sucks. It has been noted in other threads that KCOP is actually owned by Fox and their interest in UPN is limited. I have watched (and taped) every episode of every Star Trek. However the lack of picture quality in Enterprise has vastly diminished my interest in this series.

I know that only 4% of households nationally can receive HD. However I am sure the number in L.A. exceeds the national average. In addition, the teckies that watch Enterprise are more likely than average to be interested in HD. As a result the KCOP viewers that want HD Enterprise are not an ignoreable group.

Sorry, I will end my rant and rave now.

Rick R
post #544 of 9578 Old 10-05-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rick... no apologies necessary. It's unbelievable to me that the people who work on the show can't even see the final product in HD. The fact that smaller markets like Little Rock, AS have HD UPN and we don't just doesn't make any sense to me.

I sent them an e-mail last year that went unanswered. I guess we'll just have to wait a few years and watch the episodes again when they are re-run elsewhere in HD or wait for the HD-DVD's.

Ugh.
post #545 of 9578 Old 10-05-2004, 03:40 PM

I agree with all the above, and wish to point out that UPN now has other shows besides Enterprise (and the occasional movie) in HD. The new season brought Veronica Mars and Kevin Hill at least in 1080i.

See profile for new equipment list
post #546 of 9578 Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 PM

Anyone here from Chino Hills to help a newbie? How do you get your OTA HD channels?

D* installed a winegard 1000 OTA antenna as part of an HD promo package. After trying several scans on different times/different days (via Samsung sir-ts360), it only shows channels 2-1, 50-1, 50-2 and can only watch it occassionally. Just dark screen most of the time. Although I get CBSHD (ch 81) and NBCHD (83) via D*, I would also like to get all other OTA HD channels in the LA area. I may be wrong but the OTA CBS channel looks much better than the D* feed.

Thanks in advance.
post #547 of 9578 Old 10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Legnat,

In Chino Hills you should get all digital channels. I am not familiar with it but I suspect the Winegard 1000 isn't up to the job. I live in an OTA challenged area and I get all channels. I use a Winegard 8200 UHF/VHF antenna and a Winegard 8275 UHF/VHF preamp. To improve reception use quad shielded RG6 with a straight shot to the receiver with no splitters etc. The antenna should be on the roof. Make sure the antenna is pointed correctly.

I previously lived in Diamond Bar before the era of digital channels but I got all analog channels with a cheap UHF/VHF antenna on my chimney.

Rick R
post #548 of 9578 Old 10-06-2004, 05:37 PM

Legnat,

I too live in Chino Hills and I have the Winegard Prostar 8800 (PR-8800). I have it inside the attic and I'm pulling ALL channels from Mt. Wilson. Check it out at this link:

http://www.starkelectronic.com/wnpr8800.htm
post #549 of 9578 Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Thank you very much for the replies, folks.

Melencio, do you use the recommended preamp as per the specs?
post #550 of 9578 Old 10-09-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ratbrain
try using the zenith silver sensor. i believe some other forum members have been saying that there is a terk knock off. i get just about every channel from sherman oaks.

ratbrain-

Dunno if you will see this or not but I see you are in Sherman Oaks. Is your cable company Adelphia? I am looking for some solutions for alternatives that involve satellite and was wondering what you are using as far as set-up, service and OTA. An indoor solution for the local stations might help me tip the scales towards dumping my cable company.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
post #551 of 9578 Old 10-09-2004, 11:54 AM

I have read through the majority of this thread, and was excited to learn that I may be able to get OTA in HD. After reading through all the posts, I decided I was going to start off with the RS 2160 and go from there. For information, I live in the Conejo Valley in Newbury Park (ZIP 91320). I pulled up antenna web, and found I am about 50 miles away from the transmitter. I went to Radio Shack today to buy the 2160 and all the other equipment I needed, and was told by the guy working there that it would be impossible to get any more than a couple of channels where I live. Because of the mountains, most of the signals would be impossible to get. I searched through this thread and saw a guy in Oxnard (about 20 miles northwest of me) is able to get OTA channels with no problem. I didn't see anybody else in the vicinity of where I live with any posts. I'm probably going to just buy it and try it out anyway, but I wanted to see if anybody had any input or past experience with using antennas in this area. Thanks
post #552 of 9578 Old 10-09-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ggibby, I lived in Thousand Oaks near the K-Mart and received about half the channels, using a 10' pole on the ground, surrounded by trees. I'm currently in Simi Valley and receiving all channels. But it's not a simple thing to throw up an antenna and hope for the best. You have to respond to conditions by buying a GOOD antenna and mount it HIGH in the air, and try to mount it so it has as clear a path to the source as possible. Like, don't mount it behind a tree.

I forget my antenna model, but I have it mounted on a 15' pole on my roof. I gained two channels when I went from a 10' pole to a 15'.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #553 of 9578 Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 PM

Eddie, thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure it was possible to get reception out here. I have a 10' mast already installed on my roof, and I'll try it there first. I don't have any tall objects in the area, so I'm optimistic that I'll be in luck. I used to live in Simi Valley, and I think the geography out there is similar to N.P. From what I've read so far, I'm going to try Radio Shack's antenna first and see how that does. If that doesn't do the job, I may go to the Channel Master 4228. Just out of curiosity, do you use any kind of amplifier? Thanks for the help.
post #554 of 9578 Old 10-10-2004, 08:17 AM

Sunnyboy,

I am in Sherman Oaks, near Woodman and Ventura. I get solid reception of OTA HD channels (2,4,7,28, etc.) using a small RS antenna on a bookshelf above the TV. Unless you're blinded by hills, you should be fine.

Dennis
post #555 of 9578 Old 10-10-2004, 12:31 PM

Dennis,

I PM'd you. Please check your messages and respond when you have time. Thanks.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
post #556 of 9578 Old 10-10-2004, 05:35 PM

Sonnyboy,

I responded.

Dennis
post #557 of 9578 Old 10-11-2004, 12:52 PM

Can anyone recommend an installer in the Glendale area? I have tried most of the little antennas, and got PBS for a split second using the $50 radio shack antenna. I am assuming it must be possible to get a better signal if I get someone to profesionally install an antenna. Or maybe someone would be able to just come out and tell me if its possible to get a signal.
post #558 of 9578 Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 PM

Anyone recommend a San Pedro/Rancho Palos Verdes area installer?

-Ed

The SHT - Stealth Home Theater
post #559 of 9578 Old 10-12-2004, 12:49 AM

It seems KCOP 66-1 has increased the power of their transmitter as of a week or so ago.I have just an indoor silversensor in the hollywood hills and i have been able to receive all other OTA in LA exept for 66-1 no matter how i position the antenna since i got my tuner i January.But the last 8 days it comes in perfect so my only conclusion is that the power has been increased.Has other people noticed this?Maybe there is some upgrading or real HD in the near future...

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #560 of 9578 Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 AM

Travanx,

Try http://www.antennaweb.org. You put in your address, city, state, zip and it gives you a pretty good idea what's happening.

HTH,

Dennis
post #561 of 9578 Old 10-12-2004, 12:16 PM

Thanks, yes I have checked there, but I picked up faint signals with the radio shack powered antenna and another powered antenna I tried. There is a big antenna on the chimney right now, but I want to try one that is made to receive UHF signals and have someone that knows how to aim it. I think I should be able to get reception.

My receiver was showing 50% and then would drop after a second or two. And then go back to 50%. So it could never lock on, but it still wasn't just 0%.
post #562 of 9578 Old 10-20-2004, 08:49 PM

I just noticed KJLA-49/DT has begun broadcasting USDTV's guide-channel. They also seem to be broadcasting USDTV's (subscription-required) wireless-cable channels: ESPN, ESPN2, FOOD, HGTV.

Anyone else noticed this? I wonder which other LA-stations will be partnering with USDTV?

KJLA's primary (free) program doesn't look adversely affected -- the picture quality is actually comparable to the other 408i ATSC stations.

[edit]

For those of you wondering "what's USDTV?!?" Check out http://www.usdtv.com
post #563 of 9578 Old 10-20-2004, 09:43 PM

Reception Area:
Albuquerque
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City Metro Area

???

You need to buy their special receiver too?

No thanks.

-Ed

post #564 of 9578 Old 10-21-2004, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I know. I was extremely interested until I saw their reception area!

I still might get their box though, I mean $200 and it's got LG's 5th-gen tuner in it. That's a pretty sweet deal in my book.
post #565 of 9578 Old 10-22-2004, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattwiks
That's funny, you had the exact opposite results I had with these two units. I have the Silver Sensor with an amp. and sometimes get drop out, but most of the time it's pretty steady on all of the main local channels I watch (2, 4, 5, 7 & 9). A couple of months ago I decided to try the Radio Shack unit just to see if it worked any better but it was even worse, my %'s went down about 20-30% across the board on all channels I tried placing it in every location I could but I just wasn't getting any reception. I guess it just really depends on your exact location which antenna works best.

I used to live in Redondo Beach, and I have a vertical stack of two Silver Sensors that pegged just about all channels (this antenna was used indoors, too).

Now I just moved to San Pedro North/Rancho Palos Verdes, and it barely works now, with frequent drop outs and only a few channels.

Antennaweb.org now recommends a Medium Directional antenna now.

Any recommendations on a good installer?

Antenna Recommendations?

I have a Channel Master 4221, but is is a Medium Multi Directional antenna. Would this one work.

-Ed

post #566 of 9578 Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 AM

KOCE 50-2 has begun broadcasting HD since last night.

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
post #567 of 9578 Old 10-22-2004, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just an FYI:

There is now a thread for Bakersfield, CA - HDTV for those of you actually closer to Bakersfield - or for any discussion related to the Bakersfield affiliates.
post #568 of 9578 Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 PM

Anyone in Irvine (Orange County) area having any luck with OTA from the LA stations?

Wondering if a Winegard SqSh or the Zenith SiSe will be good enough.

antennaweb.org has me at red/blue regions. (40 miles from Mt. Wilson)

I have a Sony 655 series HDTV coming in sometime in November. I have DSS ... anticipating more HD channels coming in the next year. But in the meantime, I'd love to have local HD!!
post #569 of 9578 Old 10-22-2004, 10:25 PM

I'm in Huntington Beach, exactly 40 miles from the transmitters. I'm using a Zenith Silver sensor in my closet and a DVICO HDTV card in my computer. I get channels 4 and 5 in at 75 to 85%. I can get channels 2 and 50 in, if I re-orient the antenna. Channel 11 almost comes in-so borderline that it is unwatchable. I tried adding a Holland HDA-25 amp, but it made the percentages DROP!
post #570 of 9578 Old 10-23-2004, 03:11 AM

Unfortunately, Silver Sensor is only good for the "Yellow". (Short Range).

But it is good for Medium Range (red) apparently with a quad stack, but mounted outside. For that cost, you might as well get a high gain Yagi type antenna. It will hold up better to the elements outside anyways.

-Ed

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page