World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With NTSC you could usually easily tell if you had RFI/EMI and if it were from a narrow or a broadband source. With ATSC your "signal" meter (actually most often a "quality" meter indicating fewer bit errors) just drops and decoding declines/quits. Now it almost takes a spectrum analyzer tuned on that channel to see what's going on (and if it IS RFI, then try to track it down).
post #7743 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

Has anyone else been having trouble with KTLA reception over the last three weeks or so? KTLA has alwayys been very strong here- in fact, according to TVFool, it is the strongest station. Up until recently, I have never had the slightest problem with the signal, but since mid-December it has been breaking up badly, even though the signal is still strong. Also, this problem is totally weather-independent.

I suspect that it is caused by severe multipath. It seems likely that KTLA engineers have been playing around with their antenna system and have royally fouled up the radiation pattern.

I had that same problem with KTLA about a month ago, after years of perfect reception. I finally had to reposition the antenna in my attic. It was very tricky to find a position that gave me good reception simultaneously on 5, 28, 50 and 56. Every time I peaked it for one of them, at least one of the others went down to the point of pixelization. I have no idea what changed all of a sudden. My cable and antenna are still in perfect condition because they're protected from the weather. And, as you observed, the condition was not related to weather.
post #7744 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgndave View Post

I had that same problem with KTLA about a month ago, after years of perfect reception. I finally had to reposition the antenna in my attic. It was very tricky to find a position that gave me good reception simultaneously on 5, 28, 50 and 56. Every time I peaked it for one of them, at least one of the others went down to the point of pixelization. I have no idea what changed all of a sudden. My cable and antenna are still in perfect condition because they're protected from the weather. And, as you observed, the condition was not related to weather.

I had exactly the same problem as you due to multipath signals at my location. My antenna is also in the attic and I thought a CM4228 8-bay antenna was the best antenna. But it turned out it was not the best when there is severe multipath. When I switched to a CM4221 4-bay antenna all my problems went away and as a bonus all channels were a lot stronger. Apparently the 8-bay antenna is more lossy in severe multipath conditions.
post #7745 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Same here. Weird stuff and so annoying even with rabbit ears.
post #7746 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercjncpr View Post

Well, that is beyond ridiculous

Final replay of the Rose Parade just ended. Antenna TV and This TV are now on the air.
post #7747 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Welcome Antenna TV to the Los Angeles Market!! (And no KTLA, We did NOT need to see the Rose Parade on THREE channels all day long, no matter how much your advertisers paid you extra for you to do it!)
post #7748 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercjncpr View Post

Welcome Antenna TV to the Los Angeles Market!! (And no KTLA, We did NOT need to see the Rose Parade on THREE channels all day long, no matter how much you advertisers paid you extra for you to do it!)

Nice. Is it me or does 5.2 not have closed captions/subtitles?

Crazy, my new DTV Pal found over 90 services/channels with only rabbit ears.
post #7749 of 9594 Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Crazy, my new DTV Pal found over 90 services/channels with only rabbit ears.

Too bad only about ¼ of it is watchable on a regular basis.
post #7750 of 9594 Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious View Post

Too bad only about ¼ of it is watchable on a regular basis.

More like 7/100 (7%) since I mainly and currently watch the local broadcast channels (2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 [Lakers!], and 11.1). However, very rarely I will watch ION 30.1, UPN/KCOP 13.1, KCET 28.1, and 5.2/5.3 (for old TV/television series).
post #7751 of 9594 Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Liked: 15
KVCR have dropped "Create" on 24.4 which they carried 24 hours a day unlike KLCS.

Have folks noticed that KLCS stopped running programs between 1 am and 6 am several months back but leaves the TX on with a slide. Great way to save money! Not!

24.4 is now "Classic Arts Showcase" effective 1/1/2011.

"When In Doubt Fade to Black!"
post #7752 of 9594 Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sheesh so many changes on the station/channel lineups.
post #7753 of 9594 Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I get around 85 Channels in Lake Forest with my radio shack flying saucer 'tenna
post #7754 of 9594 Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wonder how long it will be before people get burned out on Antenna TV's content and start asking for Me-TV?
post #7755 of 9594 Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Wonder how long it will be before people get burned out on Antenna TV's content and start asking for Me-TV?

I'm willing to give it more than one day. Heck, they're still showing a Benny Hill marathon right now. Let's see how it goes.

ThisTV didn't have very many Patty Duke eps and repeated them too often, but they sure have a lot of different Highway Patrol. I hope the old sitcoms on Antenna TV have a good selection.

I hope to see a lot of good Columbia stuff, just as This has dredged up a lot of forgotten UA features.
post #7756 of 9594 Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

For those that are wondering where 11.3 went, the wide-screen SD Fox on UHF. It was removed when the Sezmi streams were taken down.

At present, the old Sezmi bits all appear to be going to null-packets, so no change in quality (e.g. on KOCE) is likely to be observed yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7757 of 9594 Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post
...At present, the old Sezmi bits all appear to be going to null-packets, so no change in quality (e.g. on KOCE) is likely to be observed yet.
In any case, I hope the improvement comes soon. The pixellation on 50.1 on rapidly changing, detailed images is terrible. I seem to remember that KOCE even had this problem long before Sezmi came along. I really hope they will fix it once and for all.
post #7758 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

In any case, I hope the improvement comes soon. The pixellation on 50.1 on rapidly changing, detailed images is terrible. I seem to remember that KOCE even had this problem long before Sezmi came along. I really hope they will fix it once and for all.

I would prefer SD over blurred-pixelated-mosaic filled HD. I'm not talking fast motion sports with panning or anything, we were watching The Antiques Road Show season premiere and it was unacceptable. How can KOCE expect anyone to enjoy this version of wannabe HDTV?

Do cable/sat subscribers see this same crap or is it just for us on OTA reception where the picture should be at its very best?

Everyone should let KOCE know "NICELY" that we expect much better HD delivery. comments@koce.org
post #7759 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Keep an eye out over the next few days. KFLA-LD 8 is operating at very reduced power from an alternate tower site. At the same time, equipment is going up for a UHF signal on channel 52. This is out of core, but is intended to be temporary pending the outcome of an application for channel 22 that is currently being contested.

RTV and Tuff TV are on KFLA-LD, and some may find this programming compelling, so as I said, keep an eye out.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7760 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to thank KOCE for 8 minutes of complete silence during tonights Frontline documentary "Death by Fire". How can any modern TV station have dead air for 8 friggin minutes during prime time. Just complete incompetence. PBS is now a joke in Los Angeles.
post #7761 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it me or are a lot of L.A. stations doing crappy with problems and changing so much?
post #7762 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM

is it my imagination running with me or do you angelinos have more ota channels than nykers. one guy on this forum says he gets 85 channels !! thats fr___ng nuts.
i only get about 45 channels including subs, and i use an outdoor antenna
post #7763 of 9594 Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdigital09 View Post

is it my imagination running with me or do you angelinos have more ota channels than nykers. one guy on this forum says he gets 85 channels !! thats fr___ng nuts.
i only get about 45 channels including subs, and i use an outdoor antenna

My DTVPal DVR found about 90 channels last Saturday night. I only have a basic/simple rabbit ears in my closet on its shelf and am located under 20 miles to Mount/Mt. Wilson. Crazy!

However, who cares how many I can get. Lots of boring channels. I only watch the local broadcast English main ones (2.1, 4.1, 5.1 [dropping it after Smallville series end], 7.1, 9.1 [Lakers!], and 11.1).
post #7764 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 AM

I get 98 of them in Van Nuys with an outdoor antenna. A good many are foreign language: Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese. There's also one in Portuguese, and one in Italian that seems to have gone away of late. Even so, a good many often have English language stuff or subtitles. Others have interesting travelogues etc.

I mentioned this to coworkers. Seems most of them pay for cable but a few are going to cancel that because of what's out there for free that they didn't know about.
post #7765 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

I get 98 of them in Van Nuys with an outdoor antenna. A good many are foreign language: Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese. There's also one in Portuguese, and one in Italian that seems to have gone away of late. Even so, a good many often have English language stuff or subtitles. Others have interesting travelogues etc.

I mentioned this to coworkers. Seems most of them pay for cable but a few are going to cancel that because of what's out there for free that they didn't know about.

So they don't watch SyFy (aka SciFi), Discovery, Cartoon Network, etc.?
post #7766 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

TiVo scanned 102 local channels a couple days ago. Several have a weak signal, foreign language, shopping, religion, infomercials, etc.

There are only about 30 channels actually added to the lineup.
post #7767 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post
TiVo scanned 102 local channels a couple days ago. Several have a weak signal, foreign language, shopping, religion, infomercials, etc.

There are only about 30 channels actually added to the lineup.
Yeah, it's almost like cable/satellite - only a small percentage of the available channels have anything worth watching. It sounds like a lot when they cram in a bunch of low-quality (video and otherwise) subchannels, but the raw total is nothing to be impressed with.

As a side note - as of last night, TiVo still had the old PBS World program guide for 28-4. I notified them of the change as of Jan 1, but they refused to correct the listing unless I provided the names and air times of 3 individual programs from both the old and the new lineups. I don't have time to play games with them - all they need to know is that they're listing the schedule for the wrong channel (PBS World vs. MHZ-WV). I guess they'll eventually get around to correcting it after enough people complain.
post #7768 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... As a side note - as of last night, TiVo still had the old PBS World program guide for 28-4. I notified them of the change as of Jan 1, but they refused to correct the listing unless I provided the names and air times of 3 individual programs from both the old and the new lineups. I don't have time to play games with them - all they need to know is that they're listing the schedule for the wrong channel (PBS World vs. MHZ-WV). I guess they'll eventually get around to correcting it after enough people complain.
I have the same problem with TitanTV. Their TV guide listings still don't show KTLA 5.3. I am there are other problems too. I have to use others, like Zap2It, to find the details. However, I really like TitanTV.
post #7769 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's almost like cable/satellite - only a small percentage of the available channels have anything worth watching. It sounds like a lot when they cram in a bunch of low-quality (video and otherwise) subchannels, but the raw total is nothing to be impressed with.
Yes, very similar with one very significant difference..... FREE vs $75+/mo.
post #7770 of 9594 Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post
Yes, very similar with one very significant difference..... FREE vs $75+/mo.
And no/little compressions.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page