Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #8701 of 9565 Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the mid-1960s April CQ Magazine articles dealt with how to use invisible paint to hide your huge tower/antenna systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 9565 Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Sorry about the typo...it's RCA ANT-751, not 741...

Here's a follow-up in trying to get OTA in my upcoming La Habra Heights, CA 90631 home which is in a difficult area.

Finally, I got a RCA ANT751R in the ground level's kitchen facing the opened screen patio. The assembled antenna part (did not attach the holder part) sat on a high chair for testing facing North direction with the big hill/small mountain in the way. It actually worked decently depending on the directions (N or NW; left or east of the neighbor's big house and their backyard's small mountain/giant hill across the street). The portable ATSC DTV was able to pick up from 70 to 103 channels (it varies a lot depending on what directions and stable the signals are). It got annoying when it kept losing channels like KCBS2, KNBC4, KCAL9, KTTV11, KCOP13, etc.

For examples: (N)orth (right side of the neighbor's house) seems to do well with these most wanted channels: KNBC4 and KSCI/LA18. NW (left side of the neighbor's house) seems to do well with these most wanted channels: KCBS2, KABC7, and 62 (unstable). Other channels seem to be OK (forgot to record their antenna directions): KTLA5, KCOP/UPN13, KOCE50, and KLCS58. We have not put this new antenna in the attic yet facing the north direction and side in the house, but I am hoping it will do better than on the ground level.

Also, we tried a powered Philips Digital Indoor TV antenna SDV7225T/27 (big rectangular dish + a single pole rabbit ear antenna facing to the right horizontally in NE direction) which did better than a single pole rabbit ear aneanna. Its results were various depending on directrions and close to the kitchen patio door screen (glass window opened):
Adjacent to the kitchen screen door and holding this antenna above 5' from the floor/ground with wanted channels:
KNBC4 (unstable), KABC7, KCAL9, KTTV11, KCOP13, KSCI/LA18, KCET28, and 62 (unstable).
A few inches behind the kitchen screen door on a high chair with these wanted channels:
4 (N; unstable), 7 (NW), 9 (NW), 11 (N and NW), 13 (NW), 28 (N), 50 (N, unstable), 58 (unstable), 62 (unstable),

FYI, my parents refused to get a roof-top antenna since they said it was too big and ugly, and didn't want to get someone on the roof to install. However, they were OK with this indoor attic antenna.

We'll try more later. Hopefully, the attic will be good! Happy Easter, everyone!
post #8703 of 9565 Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
post #8704 of 9565 Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM

Does anyone in the San Fernando Valley actually get this channel? It is a PBJ affiliate which shows classic cartoons. I'd love to be able to see it. with my rooftop antenna, KGTV 10.1 from San Diego comes in clear as a bell. I can get a KIIO-LD 10.5 which is foreign programming, Havas TV.
post #8705 of 9565 Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If KGTV is clear as a bell, then you have no chance of receiving KIIO-LD. Both are on RF channel 10.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8706 of 9565 Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 23
Havas TV still exists? I thought it is just all-infomericals now.
post #8707 of 9565 Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthycityboy View Post

Does anyone in the San Fernando Valley actually get this channel? It is a PBJ affiliate which shows classic cartoons. I'd love to be able to see it. with my rooftop antenna, KGTV 10.1 from San Diego comes in clear as a bell. I can get a KIIO-LD 10.5 which is foreign programming, Havas TV.

Well I live in the San Gabriel ca and get both 10.1 and 8.1 (great improvement reception recently?) there both owned by Luken Communications. 10.1 shows some really obscure cartoons like Rocket robin hood and the bizarre Clutch Cargo which I haven't seen since I was a kid in the late 1960's , the new adventures of Pinocchio and Mr magoo along with new fair like the 80's He Man and She Ra . It fun flash back to childhood.
post #8708 of 9565 Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Luken doesn't own 8.1 or 10.1, but does provide some of the programming that Roy Mayhugh puts on them.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8709 of 9565 Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Luken doesn't own 8.1 or 10.1, but does provide some of the programming that Roy Mayhugh puts on them.

- Trip

both channels show classic/retro tv programing . More correctly I should gave said Luken is the provider of the programing (ie like a property manager they run but don't own the channels). Ether way there fun channels to watch.
post #8710 of 9565 Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If KGTV is clear as a bell, then you have no chance of receiving KIIO-LD. Both are on RF channel 10.

- Trip

I don't believe that is correct. My understanding is that KIIO is actually carried as a subchannel of KFLA on RF ch. 8, but is mapped to virtual ch 10-5.

It is interesting to note, however, that atmospheric conditions that are favorable to the reception of San Diego stations in my location are unfavorable to KFLA, and vice versa. San Diego stations come in best when the weather is warm with an inversion layer, while KFLA comes in best when it is cool and moist or overcast. And of course, KFMB and KFLA would "collide" on ch 8 if both were favored at the same time, and only the stronger would be receivable. Right now, howver, I am picking up neither of them, nor KIIO. But I am getting KGTV "clear as a bell".
post #8711 of 9565 Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

I don't believe that is correct. My understanding is that KIIO is actually carried as a subchannel of KFLA on RF ch. 8, but is mapped to virtual ch 10-5.

It is interesting to note, however, that atmospheric conditions that are favorable to the reception of San Diego stations in my location are unfavorable to KFLA, and vice versa. San Diego stations come in best when the weather is warm with an inversion layer, while KFLA comes in best when it is cool and moist or overcast. And of course, KFMB and KFLA would "collide" on ch 8 if both were favored at the same time, and only the stronger would be receivable. Right now, howver, I am picking up neither of them, nor KIIO. But I am getting KGTV "clear as a bell".

I can pick up both KFLA 8 & KFMB 8. I have a North facing antenna for one & a South facing antenna for the other. I do not receive KIIO 10-1 thru 10-4.
post #8712 of 9565 Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That only applies to the 10-5 subchannel. 10-1 is on 10, not 8.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8713 of 9565 Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That only applies to the 10-5 subchannel. 10-1 is on 10, not 8.

- Trip

I never knew that any subchannels of KIIO, other than 10-5, even existed. I have never received any of these other subchannels, even when KGTV was not coming in!
post #8714 of 9565 Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I never knew tKhat any subchannels of KIIO, other than 10-5, even existed. I have never received any of these other subchannels, even when KGTV was not coming in!

Not sure if KIIO increased their power or if it is due to a strong tropo, but I'm receiving it now for the 1st time. 10-1 is PBJ. KFLA has an add on 10-3 telling viewer that they are moving to a new fequency & to rescan your TV. Not sure if that is an old message from when they moved from RF55 to RF8, or if they are moving again?

FYI - KGTV has a sub channel. It is 10-2, The Cool TV, music videos.
post #8715 of 9565 Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Here's a follow-up in trying to get OTA in my upcoming La Habra Heights, CA 90631 home which is in a difficult area.

Finally, I got a RCA ANT751R in the ground level's kitchen facing the opened screen patio. The assembled antenna part (did not attach the holder part) sat on a high chair for testing facing North direction with the big hill/small mountain in the way. It actually worked decently depending on the directions (N or NW; left or east of the neighbor's big house and their backyard's small mountain/giant hill across the street). The portable ATSC DTV was able to pick up from 70 to 103 channels (it varies a lot depending on what directions and stable the signals are). It got annoying when it kept losing channels like KCBS2, KNBC4, KCAL9, KTTV11, KCOP13, etc.

FYI, my parents refused to get a roof-top antenna since they said it was too big and ugly, and didn't want to get someone on the roof to install. However, they were OK with this indoor attic antenna.

We'll try more later. Hopefully, the attic will be good! Happy Easter, everyone!

Drats. Attic doesn't improve. Some channels are still missing like on the ground level's kitchen. I guess OTA is no good. We will be taking it down and returning it to get satellite/cable service.
post #8716 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Should have listened to me 2 months ago .
post #8717 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Should have listened to me 2 months ago .

Well, we just wanted to see what happened. It was better than we expected, but not perfect.
post #8718 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post

Not sure if KIIO increased their power or if it is due to a strong tropo, but I'm receiving it now for the 1st time. 10-1 is PBJ. KFLA has an add on 10-3 telling viewer that they are moving to a new fequency & to rescan your TV. Not sure if that is an old message from when they moved from RF55 to RF8, or if they are moving again?

That's odd, because I am not getting a 10-3, even though KFLA is coming in here now just fine, including KIIO 10-5. With the weather cool and overcast this is to be expected. I wonder what the RF channel for this 10-3 would be, since it could not be 8-3 which is already there as "TUFF-TV". About a week ago, KFLA "disappeared" completely during the warm, sunny weather, and KGTV started coming in, but now it is gone. I have noticed this same pattern repeatedly many times before.

It is little wonder that I could not receive KFLA when it was transmitting on UHF and was (and is) at low power, and is not LOS but obstructed ("1Edge") here. BTW, I believe it was on RF 52, rather than 55.

Also, I noticed that KFLA added another channel designated as 8-7 around the first of the year, as I recall.

Quote:

FYI - KGTV has a sub channel. It is 10-2, The Cool TV, music videos.

That's right. It also has a third subchannel, for some reason designated as 10-15. As I recall, both of these are in Spanish.
post #8719 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:

That's odd, because I am not getting a 10-3, even though KFLA is coming in here now just fine, including KIIO 10-5. With the weather cool and overcast this is to be expected. I wonder what the RF channel for this 10-3 would be, since it could not be 8-3 which is already there as "TUFF-TV". About a week ago, KFLA "disappeared" completely during the warm, sunny weather, and KGTV started coming in, but now it is gone. I have noticed this same pattern repeatedly many times before.

KII0 10-1 thru 10-4 is on RF10. KII0 10-5 is on RF8 KFLA
post #8720 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Drats. Attic doesn't improve. Some channels are still missing like on the ground level's kitchen. I guess OTA is no good. We will be taking it down and returning it to get satellite/cable service.

Well the RCA ANT751R works great for me because Mt Wilson is 25 miles as the crow flies and I have direct line of site.But for you live a considerably farther from the source a larger antenna would help gather the weaker signal. Honestly I believe a second shot with a larger antenna in the attic you'd get better results.
post #8721 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post

Well the RCA ANT751R works great for me because Mt Wilson is 25 miles as the crow flies and I have direct line of site.But for you live a considerably farther from the source a larger antenna would help gather the weaker signal. Honestly I believe a second shot with a larger antenna in the attic you'd get better results.

Which larger indoor (e.g., attic) antennae from local retail stores then since my folks don't want an outdoor/roof top type since they said they are ugly, big, and complicated/complex.
post #8722 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 11
Folks, let's go back to Phil's TVFool report. His results correspond pretty well with predictions. The hill is very effective in blocking UHF broadcasts while VHF broadcasts scatter over fairly well. There is no antenna big enough to fix this, attic or roof mounted.
post #8723 of 9565 Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

Folks, let's go back to Phil's TVFool report. His results correspond pretty well with predictions. The hill is very effective in blocking UHF broadcasts while VHF broadcasts scatter over fairly well. There is no antenna big enough to fix this, attic or roof mounted.

FYI from my previous posts and links:

No height entered: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40330909db0c9f
25 ft. height entered: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86cb35bdb459
40 ft. height entered: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ddb20485e8
http://i.imgur.com/q7LS4.jpg (antennaweb)
http://i.imgur.com/KWz13.gif (location on Google Maps)
http://i.imgur.com/LTao8.jpg (aerial shot of the rooftop -- note the existing satellite dish from the previous home owner)
http://i.imgur.com/uRTeb.jpg (zoomed out 45 degrees aerial shot with house on the bottom right corner)
http://i.imgur.com/vXboD.jpg (Google Earth's elevation shot of Mt. Wilson and home)
http://i.imgur.com/seYcH.jpg (Street View of trees in front of the house facing Mt. Wilson's direction)
http://i.imgur.com/XThYd.jpg (Street View of more trees on west side of the house)
http://zimage.com/~ant/MiCasa2/ for personal photos.
Elevation: 967 ft. according to Google Earth.
post #8724 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KII0 10-1 thru 10-4 is on RF10. KII0 10-5 is on RF8 KFLA

Oh, I see what happened now! You wrote, "KFLA has an add on 10-3" Your misspelling of the abbreviation for advertisement 'ad' as 'add' threw me a curve; I read it as, "KFLA has an add-on" namely 10-3..." rather than, "KFLA has an advertisement about 10-3...", which is what you really meant.

Anyway, I have never received anything on chs 10-1 through 10-4 even in the absence of any interference from KGTV. TVFool does list a KIIO-LD on ch 10, but it is way down in the darkest colored region with a "2Edge" designation.
post #8725 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Oh, I see what happened now! You wrote, "KFLA has an add on 10-3" Your misspelling of the abbreviation for advertisement 'ad' as 'add' threw me a curve; I read it as, "KFLA has an add-on" namely 10-3..." rather than, "KFLA has an advertisement about 10-3...", which is what you really meant.

Anyway, I have never received anything on chs 10-1 through 10-4 even in the absence of any interference from KGTV. TVFool does list a KIIO-LD on ch 10, but it is way down in the darkest colored region with a "2Edge" designation.

You are right, I had a typo.
post #8726 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA5IYX View Post

One of the mid-1960s April CQ Magazine articles dealt with how to use invisible paint to hide your huge tower/antenna systems

shhhhh! I still use that paint!
post #8727 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI from my previous posts and links:...

Refresh my memory:

What are you trying to receive?
post #8728 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Refresh my memory:

What are you trying to receive?

KCBS2, KNBC4, KTLA/CW5, KABC7, KCAL9, KTTV/FOX11, KCOP/UPN13, KSCI18, KCET28, 31, KOCE50, KLCS58, and 62.
post #8729 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

KCBS2, KNBC4, KTLA/CW5, KABC7, KCAL9, KTTV/FOX11, KCOP/UPN13, KSCI18, KCET28, 31, KOCE50, KLCS58, and 62.

Looks like cable/satellite/telco may be your only options...

Unless you want to install a Slingbox at my house!
post #8730 of 9565 Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Looks like cable/satellite/telco may be your only options...

Unless you want to install a Slingbox at my house!

Ha, I still have to get Internet service in that new place. Hopefully, it is fast!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page